Author Topic: Chronicles of St Marys  (Read 1320 times)  

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Let's go NATS
    • View Profile
Chronicles of St Marys
« on: November 20, 2015, 05:22:51 AM »
I know there are a bunch here reading this series -- it's sort of time travel (to the past) adventury and you learn a lot of history -- the good stuff, not the boring stuff. ;)

Just as an FYI -- I was just updating my reading page/signature bar and it turns out that, on Amazon US at least, the ASINS have changed.  I had to update them to get the signature/reading page tool to work.  It's fine if you don't change anything but as soon as you do, and want to 'save changes' it'll report errors you have to fix and won't change it until you do.

Also, with new ASINs, your account may not show that you've already got one if you see the page at Amazon, so be sure to check MYC&D if you see something that seems new but you're not sure.

For those who are now intrigued, here's the first of the series:

There are about 6 full length books and nearly as many shorts as well.  They're all quite fun. :D

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
  • Erm .....
    • View Profile
Re: Chronicles of St Marys
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 08:14:26 AM »
The ASINs in the UK store don't appear to have changed. I've updated my reading page without any errors and it also still tells me on the various product pages that I've already bought them.

Incidentally, I did a random check on a couple of books from the series and the UK ASINs were the same as in the US store. Maybe yours were changed to bring them all into line? I'm not sure what other reason they might have for doing it.
"A person who publishes books, willfully appears before the populace with his pants down." Edna St. Vincent Millay

Member since 03/17/2010 | (make your own reading bar) |
My Kindles: Kindle Voyage  | Kindle Paperwhite  |  Fire HD 10  | Kindle DX  | Kindle Touch

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 08:27:54 AM »
Who was it that first told me about this series. I haven't gotten to it yet, but I checked out a set of the first 3 in KU. I don't even see that in the store anymore and they aren't available in KU separately but one. Thankfully once you check out a KU book, it doesn't go away from the account even if the book gets pulled out of it. So I'll get a chance to read the first 3 at least if I like it.

I also had to go to goodreads just to see the order of that series, it didn't say anything on amazon about that oddly enough.

If I ever get through my library pile, maybe I can start it. Til then, it will just sit in my KU slot.

Member since 11/20/2008 | Atunah's Romance Haus | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
  • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 08:31:38 AM »
Who was it that first told me about this series?

*waves hand*
A book, I think, is very like a little golden door.
That takes me into places where I've never been before.
It leads me into fairyland or countries strange and far.
And, best of all, the golden door always stands ajar. - Adelaide Love

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2015, 08:37:10 AM »
Yes of course, should have know.  :P

You keep piling onto my tbr with cheerfulness. I need another set of eyeballs in the back of my head to read 2 books at once. Sigh.

Offline MariaESchneider

• Austin, Texas
  • Urban Fantasy, Fantasy, Humorous Mysteries
    • View Profile
    • Bear Mountain Books
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2015, 08:49:56 AM »
The books were picked up a trad publisher (in the uk? I think).   So they were "Re-issued."  I, personally, found the books too dark for my tastes.  The first started out quite cozy, but there were some pretty dark themes in the second half so I didn't continue with the series. Well-written, however.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2015, 09:01:36 AM »
Interesting, Ann.  I have every single St. Mary's book in my Kindle library (including the shorts), and the only one giving me the "already purchased" message in the store is #6.  Something has certainly been changed, at least in the U.S. store - I hate it when they do that!

Thanks for the information on the "re-issue", Maria.  I still wish the same ASIN/ISBNs were used with a new edition notation or something.  That way we wouldn't be "ooooh, new book out!" when there isn't.  I didn't find the stories dark at all, at least not gratuitously so.  More historically accurate as some of the events they are observing were from not so nice days.  My mother, who doesn't care of dark stories at all, read them all one after another.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Let's go NATS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2015, 10:13:53 AM »
FWIW, I first heard about the series from Linda  . . . . . yeah, some of them area bit dark, but usually because they're doing something in a sort of grim time. The shorts tend to be lighter, and the most recent full novel I read ended, I felt, in a rather more upbeat place after a really weird twist in the previous one!

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline Tuttle

• Lancre
  • The Turtle Moves
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2015, 01:13:53 PM »
I would agree, the 5th one was probably the darkest. The first one was the one that the word "fun" applies to most, but they're all fun. I've not read the shorts, because I can't justify the cost to buy the shorts, but the rest of them, they're just enjoyable quick reads.
Everything is magic when you dont know what it is. Your sliding rule is a magic wand to most people. - Raising Steam

Voyage - Brutha
K2 - Dr Worblehat

Offline MariaESchneider

• Austin, Texas
    • View Profile
    • Bear Mountain Books
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2015, 01:16:32 PM »
It wasn't the time travel parts that got to me. 

Was the whole lost pregnancy due to near starvation and illness and the way that was handled.  Turned my stomach, and I didn't find it all that believable that those two handled the situation the way they did.   We did the first book as a buddy reader over at my blog and another reader had issues with the violence of the scene where the rapist was torn apart by the raptor/dino.  That part didn't bother me  :D.   The other gal in the buddy read went on to read book two and enjoyed that. I think it's just a case of everyone has their limits or things that bother them.  I was actually very disappointed at that ending because it was such a great read for me until those last few chapters. 

Offline Tuttle

• Lancre
  • The Turtle Moves
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2015, 03:41:00 PM »
Oh, yes, Maria, I'd agree that part bothered met too - the part you're talking about bothering you.
Everything is magic when you dont know what it is. Your sliding rule is a magic wand to most people. - Raising Steam

Voyage - Brutha
K2 - Dr Worblehat

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2015, 03:54:10 PM »
I feel like the little kid that wants to know what's for chrismas.  :P. But since I haven't started this series yet and I absolutely despise spoilers, I stay in complete clueless-ness. Its killing me though.  ;D

Offline MariaESchneider

• Austin, Texas
    • View Profile
    • Bear Mountain Books
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2015, 03:56:49 PM »
I feel like the little kid that wants to know what's for chrismas.  :P. But since I haven't started this series yet and I absolutely despise spoilers, I stay in complete clueless-ness. Its killing me though.  ;D

Hey, I marked it with spoiler tags. Don't blame ME if you unwrap it!    ;)

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2015, 04:00:20 PM »
Hey, I marked it with spoiler tags. Don't blame ME if you unwrap it!    ;)
You did good, I didn't unwrap it. But I wanted to.  They are taunting me ;D

Offline MariaESchneider

• Austin, Texas
    • View Profile
    • Bear Mountain Books
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2015, 04:29:28 PM »
Give the books a shot.  The writing is quite nice.  If you get to something that bothers you, you can ask any of us questions.  But you know how it is.  Everyone's tolerance varies on every single subject there is. 

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2015, 04:37:28 PM »
I will get to them if I can get through this library pile. I am not worried about anything dark. I like some grit if it fits the story. I am pretty flexible as a reader, but I do have my limits. I doubt those books hit those though.  8)

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
  • Erm .....
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2015, 11:40:05 AM »
While there are some dark moments in the books, I think those are wonderfully offset by the sarcastic and ironic humour. I just read the latest short and honestly, I was giggling before I got through the character list at the beginning.  :D
"A person who publishes books, willfully appears before the populace with his pants down." Edna St. Vincent Millay

My Kindles: Kindle Voyage  | Kindle Paperwhite  |  Fire HD 10  | Kindle DX  | Kindle Touch

Offline anguabell

• View Profile
    • Goodreads
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2015, 02:27:44 PM »
I heard about the series from Linda and Ann, and promptly fell in love with the books. Make no mistake - those are no sweet little comedies, although there is plenty of British humor involved. The main character goes through lots of adventures, mad situations and historical eras but always carries the worst and the best bits of her life with her (don't we all), like two constant points in the ever-changing landscapes. There are some hilarious parts, and some little parts that are heartbreaking, and that's what kept me reading.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2017, 09:03:01 PM »
I am bringing this one back up after reading Ann's tax thread about the latest in the series. And since I posted here. I finally read the first one today. I like inhaled it in 2 long reading sessions. I barely ate, forgot to pee until it hurts and got a neck cramp from lack of moving.

Thanks a lot crebel.  8)

And yes, I still have the box set of the first 3 borrowed via KU. Its been sitting there since the end of 2015.

I had no idea really what to expect and I didn't read reviews to not get spoiled by anything. It was way more and different than I expected. What a ride. Book title is about as fitting for a book I have ever read.

This was like a non stop page turner for me. I still have library loans that expire very soon, so I either keep wifi off and continue with this series or read the library books first. Decisions decisions.  ;D

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
  • Erm .....
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2017, 04:04:39 AM »
Welcome to the club, Atunah. I'm almost jealous of you, that you still have so many of the books to read for the first time. If you think the first one was a crazy ride, you ain't seen nuthin' yet .....  :o

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Let's go NATS
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2017, 06:13:28 AM »
Welcome to the club, Atunah. I'm almost jealous of you, that you still have so many of the books to read for the first time. If you think the first one was a crazy ride, you ain't seen nuthin' yet .....  :o

True statement. ;D

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
  • Erm .....
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2017, 09:30:48 AM »
All the St Mary's books are available on Audible, narrated by the excellent Zara Ramm, but Audible have now made the first book Just One Damned Thing After Another into a drama, or as they call it, an 'audio movie'.

There's no sample available yet, as it's not released till next month, but Zara Ramm is on the credits so I imagine she will be playing the part of Max. A lot is going to depend on how the scriptwriter has adapted it and how the rest of the cast portray the main characters, but I think I'll probably give it a go.

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
  • Erm .....
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2017, 06:34:51 AM »
As a follow up to my post above, I got the 'audio movie' of the first book, but it was awful. So bad, I returned it and got my credit back! So if you want to listen to these stories, as opposed to reading the printed version, do just get the audiobook as read by Zara Ramm. Noticeably, on Audible, if you search for Jodi Taylor it doesn't come up. You have to search for the title or the screenplay writer - perhaps the author was as disappointed by it as I was and is disowning it.  :o

On a different note. If, like me, you were confused and a little annoyed to find that 'book 9' was in fact a compilation of previously issued short stories you'll be pleased to know that the only new short included in that is being issued separately on 24th August, so there's no need to buy the omnibus in order to complete your collection.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2017, 07:20:48 AM »
On a different note. If, like me, you were confused and a little annoyed to find that 'book 9' was in fact a compilation of previously issued short stories you'll be pleased to know that the only new short included in that is being issued separately on 24th August, so there's no need to buy the omnibus in order to complete your collection.

That is good to know the single story will be available separately.  I'm still not buying anything St Mary's ever again, though, if they don't fix the US formatting on the last book.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Let's go NATS
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2017, 10:06:26 AM »
That is good to know the single story will be available separately.  I'm still not buying anything St Mary's ever again, though, if they don't fix the US formatting on the last book.

Yup. This is me.  Sad . . . but there are a lot of other books to read. I don't need to fight through bad formatting or give my money when they apparently don't appreciate their customers much.

Understand: I am assuming it was an oversight, an honest mistake. But that should also mean it's easily dealt with/fixed. I've pointed it out via multiple routes and have been roundly ignored. Even a response like, "gee, I'm sorry, but I think it might be a problem on your end as we have many US kindle readers who report no problems," would be something. I wouldn't believe that, but at least it would be a response. ::)

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)