Author Topic: Massive database of book promotion results  (Read 7793 times)  

Offline jasonbladd

• View Profile
    • jasonbladd.com
Massive database of book promotion results
« on: December 22, 2015, 10:56:34 AM »
Hello Kboarders,
   Indielisters is helping authors develop a method for their promo-picking madness. Browse the list to find out what works. Then share your numbers to help out your fellow authors.

Let's get our promo results out of the trenches and into the light, and all in one spot!

Gain access here

And when you add your results, let authors know by posting a "reply" in this thread!

-Jason

P.S. Check out the new logo :)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 12:27:32 AM by jasonbladd »

Offline joshuareynolds

• Joshua Reynolds is a middle-aged Kentishman.
    • View Profile
    • 300 Nudges
Re: New Tool Shares Actual Book Promotion Results
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 11:18:11 AM »
Matt Manochio has released a blog article giving numbers for several ad purchases he did as an experiment:

https://mattmanochio.wordpress.com/2015/04/09/lessons-in-advertising-my-ebook-what-worked-what-didnt/
Author of 300 Nudges: 300 Secret Life Hacks http://amzn.to/1QW3eiX

Offline jasonbladd

• View Profile
    • jasonbladd.com
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 11:24:02 AM »
thanks for that!

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 07:23:56 PM »
Welcome to Kboards!

You're welcome to promote your business and website here in the Writers' Caf!

Now that you have an official thread, you'll want to add your listing to our Yellow Pages Listing, found here:
http://www.kboards.com/yp/

The listing is free to KB members and is completely self-service; you can add and edit your listing from the page.  More information on our Yellow Pages listing can be found here.

In your thread here, we ask that the same basic rules be followed as we have for authors in the Book Bazaar:  you may have this one thread about your service and must post to it rather than start a new thread each time.  New threads about the service wil be removed.  Please bookmark this thread so that you can find it again to post to.  And, you may not make back-to-back posts to the thread within seven days.  If someone responds (such as this post), you may reply but otherwise must wait seven days, thanks!

Betsy
KBoards Moderator

Note that this welcome does not constitute an endorsement or vetting of a service by KBoards.  Members should do due diligence when considering using a service, for example, by asking KB members for feedback and doing an Internet search such as "service provider name" complaints.
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline Joseph J Bailey

• View Profile
    • Joseph J. Bailey - Author
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2015, 07:33:08 PM »
Interesting idea, Jason, and great link, Joshua!

Joseph J. Bailey | Website | Facebook | Goodreads

Offline jasonbladd

• View Profile
    • jasonbladd.com
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2015, 05:20:19 PM »
Thanks, Joseph! I hope you'll participate! 8)

Offline Joseph J Bailey

• View Profile
    • Joseph J. Bailey - Author
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2015, 06:39:57 PM »
I have added numbers from my three most recent promotions for $0.99 books.

I think helping others get an idea of which promotions work in various genres is very important, so thanks for this.

For those interested here, the results I shared were as follows:

1. Robin Reads - $0.99 reduced price promotion for Soul Stealer - Legacy of the Blade. 23 sales. I have given away between 500 and 700 on free promotions with Robin Reads. This was my first promotion for a paid book. Soul Stealer fell in line with predicted results for a fantasy book.

2. Book Barbarian - $0.99 reduced price promotion also for Soul Stealer. 38 sales. I have always been happy with Book Barbarian.

3. BKnights - $0.99 reduced price promotion (basic package mentioning the Kboards discount) for Shadow's Rise - Return of the Cabal. 5 sales. From what I understand, BKnights does better with free promotions. Also, with all the packages offered, there can be a challenge finding what works. Obviously, my paid promotion was not one of the more successful options.

Good luck to everyone on their promotions!

Joseph J. Bailey | Website | Facebook | Goodreads

Offline jasonbladd

• View Profile
    • jasonbladd.com
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2015, 08:48:34 AM »
Joseph,
   Thanks for this awesome data, and thanks for sharing it on IndieListers!  I've already worked on functionality to give you the power of the sort!

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2015, 09:35:44 AM »
Sounds like this will be a useful tool for our membership, Jason!

Welcome again to KBoards!

Betsy
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline jasonbladd

• View Profile
    • jasonbladd.com
Re: Share Your Book Promotion RESULTS here!!!
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2015, 10:18:59 AM »
Thank you, Betsy. I hope it saves authors time, money, and heartache!  ???

Offline BlinkFarm

• Ohio, USA
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2015, 07:50:07 AM »
Looks promising. Could be a useful resource if enough people enter data. I added my one paltry promo.
I write science fiction & erotica.
Get free resources for creatives on my youtube channel.

Offline Adrian Howell

• Japan
  • What doesn't kill you... doesn't kill you.
    • View Profile
    • adrianhowell.com
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2015, 08:01:39 AM »
I think this is an absolutely great idea.

Just one concern, though:
How do you prevent false information from being entered, perhaps by a dishonest promo site, in order to skew the data?
Hopefully it wouldn't happen, but Hope is a poor watchdog.
The Psionic Pentalogy consists of five novels that follow the life of a telekinetic teenager through a dark world of warring paranormal factions, vicious religious cults and secret government organizations.

Available in digital and paperback editions.
Psionic Pentalogy - YA / Paranormal / Urban Fantasy

Online PhoenixS

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2015, 09:33:31 AM »
In case you missed them, may I suggest reading through a few previous threads here regarding what kind of info to collect would be most beneficial, and what's happened to previous attempts at collecting these stats (as Adrian alludes)...

http://www.kboards.com/index.php?topic=206173.0
http://www.kboards.com/index.php?topic=223864.0
http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,207656.0.html

I'm sure there are many others. These were just the first I remember top-of-head.
  (click to enbiggen)

Offline jasonbladd

• View Profile
    • jasonbladd.com
Share Your Book Promotion RESULTS here!!!
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2015, 10:30:41 AM »
Asher: thank you! Paltry promo results are exactly what we need!

Adrian: of course, that is a concern. There are a few different methods to combat this if it becomes a problem. I've toyed with the idea of requiring a screen capture of the promo submission or confirmation email. Definitely something to think about.

Phoenix: thank you! Hopefully we can implement some controls to prevent the same kind of thing from happening! I already have some in place! ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 11:13:03 AM by jasonbladd »

Online PhoenixS

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2015, 11:30:58 AM »
And are you addressing any of the concerns raised in the other threads as far as capturing accurate and useful stats?
  (click to enbiggen)

Offline jasonbladd

• View Profile
    • jasonbladd.com
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2015, 01:19:01 PM »
Phoenix, I checked out the threads you sent and they had some great things to offer. As far as useful goes, the list will evolve as the author community provides feedback as to what the most useful information is.

The IndieListers is spreadsheet is not manipulated directly. IndieListers add their information by using a password-protected Submission Form.

As far as inaccurate data goes, the biggest threat would be from someone with malicious intent. For this reason, IndieListers uses an Author Verification process to verify the registration email before granting the access to the password-protected Submission Forms.

I've also added a mandatory "Disclosure and Statement of Good Faith."

If IndieList grows big enough, we might be able to detect anomalies in the data that are inconsistent with a particular service's norm.

Every venture requires a little bit of faith and honesty. But I realize we live in a fallen world where virtue is not always the aim.

I'm always open to suggestions to make it the best resource possible! :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 02:35:24 PM by jasonbladd »

Offline jasonbladd

• View Profile
    • jasonbladd.com
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2016, 05:53:18 PM »
Authors, 
   The IndieListers community continues to grow, and I'm starting to get some great feedback! So far, people are liking this tool.

I also continue to see gratitude for authors who post their book promotion results in places like these forums.

The point of IndieListers is to make it easier to find this valuable data, and to try to get it all in one place!

So if you've just wrapped up a book promotion, or have one coming up, we'd love to see your results posted on IndieListers!

You can find out more in the link on my signature line :)

P.S. My next FREE promotion is going on January 25th, and so far I have lined up ENT, BookSends, ChoosyBookworm, Digital Books Today, plus more, all strategically chosen by analyzing the data on IndieListers.

Offline jasonbladd

• View Profile
    • jasonbladd.com
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2016, 11:13:23 AM »
I've seen a lot of activity with book promotions.  I hope you'll consider sharing your results on IndieListers (link in my signature line).

Promo results shouldn't have to be buried in forums. Let's get them all in once place so we all can benefit!

Offline jasonbladd

• View Profile
    • jasonbladd.com
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2016, 03:51:04 PM »
Hello Kboarders!

I just wanted to give you an update on IndieListers. We've already hit over 100 subscribers which is totally encouraging!  So far we have Indie authors, hybrid authors, and USA Today bestselling authors browsing the list and sharing results from their book promotions.

We've also had authors with agents and publishers assistants asking to help and share their numbers.

Very cool!

I'm waiting for our first New York Times bestselling author to join.

Is it you?

Anyway, I continue to see good threads about promos here. I'd love for you to help us get them all in one place for everyone to see!

Also, I'm continuing to make improvements and am always open to suggestions.

Hope to see you on board! Check it out in my signature line (IndieListers).

Offline jasonbladd

• View Profile
    • jasonbladd.com
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2016, 12:02:35 PM »
The waiting is over. We now have New York Times Bestselling authors on IndieListers!

I just ran my second free promo for One of the Few on 25-26 Jan.

I used IndieListers data to optimize and plan my promos.

The result was 5,475 downloads, #1 in four Amazon categories, Top 3 in two others, and #41 of all free Kindle ebooks.

This is the highest number of downloads on IndieListers for a promo without a BookBub ;)

Offline jasonbladd

• View Profile
    • jasonbladd.com
Re: Browse and Share Book Promotion RESULTS here!!!
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2016, 06:42:31 PM »
The number of authors on IndieListers has been growing every single day!

Come check us out.

We want to make sure your next promo is a carefully aimed bullseye--not a shot in the dark!  8)

(See the IndieListers link in my signature)

Offline Aderyn Wood

• View Profile
    • Aderyn Wood - Blog
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2016, 04:52:30 PM »
This sounds good and when I get more time a bit later I'm going to join. I have a question in the meantime, is it possible to get a view of which promotion sites work better for specific genres?

Aderyn Wood | Blog | Twitter

Offline jasonbladd

• View Profile
    • jasonbladd.com
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2016, 05:33:41 PM »
This sounds good and when I get more time a bit later I'm going to join. I have a question in the meantime, is it possible to get a view of which promotion sites work better for specific genres?

Aderyn,
   That's the kind of question that I hope IndieListers can answer in the future, when we have more data to analyze.

Offline SidK

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2016, 06:53:05 PM »
If we join and enter our numbers do we get to download an Excel spreadsheet to do analysis upon?

Offline jasonbladd

• View Profile
    • jasonbladd.com
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2016, 07:37:52 PM »
If we join and enter our numbers do we get to download an Excel spreadsheet to do analysis upon?

SidK,
  I definitely plan on having this as an upgrade option in the future.

Offline AlexaKang

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2016, 10:27:33 PM »
Hi Jason,

I don't quite understand how your list is different from what Sharon Karaa is doing. She compiled a spreadsheet of many promo sites and included their results. Granted, it's not an average of many different authors, but I found her spreadsheet extremely helpful.

As far as USA Today and NYT best sellers, I think for me it makes me less interested in participating. I'm not in the same league as those authors. What works for them won't help me. In fact, even the results of long time successful indie authors who shared their info here won't necessarily help a newbie. I guess I don't understand how results could be quantified in such a way that they help different segments of authors.

Offline jasonbladd

• View Profile
    • jasonbladd.com
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2016, 11:10:02 PM »
Hi Jason,

I don't quite understand how your list is different from what Sharon Karaa is doing. She compiled a spreadsheet of many promo sites and included their results. Granted, it's not an average of many different authors, but I found her spreadsheet extremely helpful.

As far as USA Today and NYT best sellers, I think for me it makes me less interested in participating. I'm not in the same league as those authors. What works for them won't help me. In fact, even the results of long time successful indie authors who shared their info here won't necessarily help a newbie. I guess I don't understand how results could be quantified in such a way that they help different segments of authors.

Alexa,
   The spreadsheet that Sharon created is a wonderful resource with a wealth of information, including how her own books have performed with the services. What her spreadsheet (and what every other compilation of data I have found) lacks, and what IndieListers provides is actual performance data from many authors.

There are dozens of stats that can be tracked in order to estimate how books will perform, but there is really only one stat that matters--how many downloads/sales actually happened. And in most cases only the author (or publisher) can provide that information. By sharing this with other authors on IndieListers, we will be able to notice trends with different sites.

As far as quantifying results, a simple glance at the Cost/DL column can give you a quick glance as to whether or not a promo was cost effective. For instance, if the cost/DL is more than about 30 cents for a 99 cent promo on Amazon, you can guess that the author with broke even or lost money (based on knowing Amazon's 30% royalty for books below $2.99). If the Cost/DL was less than about 2 dollars for a $2.99 promo on Amaon, you know that the author probably made some money.

As IndieListers grows, we should also be able to break out which promo sites work best for different genres as well.

Hope this helps!  :)

Offline GwynnEWhite

• UK
    • View Profile
    • Gwynn White Author
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2016, 11:29:44 PM »
Joined. Thank you. I think it is a brilliant idea, especially if we can list genres. that would give invaluable info because one site might work for fantasy but not for romance etc.
High-octane steampunk fantasy with a dash of romance and intrigue.
Gwynn White | Website | Facebook | Twitter

Offline jasonbladd

• View Profile
    • jasonbladd.com
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2016, 11:43:24 PM »
Joined. Thank you. I think it is a brilliant idea, especially if we can list genres. that would give invaluable info because one site might work for fantasy but not for romance etc.

That's the idea. Thanks for joining, Gwynn!  ;D

Offline jasonbladd

• View Profile
    • jasonbladd.com
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2016, 07:17:42 PM »
Anyone wrap up any good promos lately?

How about promos that didn't perform as well as you expected?

We're looking for both kinds of results on IndieListers.

Join our growing community of authors helping authors. Browse and share book promotion results on IndieListers.com.  Check out the link in my signature line!

We're hoping we can save you time, pain, and money!

Offline suzieq

• Boise, ID
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2016, 10:31:36 PM »
I think it's important to keep the information current. How well or poorly a site worked a year ago may not be relevant to how well it works today because sites may change the way they handle things or they may grow their subscriber list. Do you have a way to scrub old data from your list as time passes?

Suzie Quint | facebook

Offline jasonbladd

• View Profile
    • jasonbladd.com
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2016, 10:40:00 PM »
Yes. That would be very easy ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jasonbladd

• View Profile
    • jasonbladd.com
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2016, 10:34:33 AM »
New entries are continuing to arrive on IndieListers.  Authors know that the self-publishing world is not winner-take-all. We can all win. Hope you'll join us! :)

Offline jasonbladd

• View Profile
    • jasonbladd.com
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2016, 04:20:52 PM »
I'd love to get your feedback on IndieListers.com.

What information would be useful to have included in the database?

Has it helped you plan your next promo?

What is it missing?

I'm all ears!  Hope you'll browse and share on www.IndieListers.com during your next book promotion!

Offline jasonbladd

• View Profile
    • jasonbladd.com
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2016, 01:43:12 PM »
Who's about to run a promo? Who's just finished one?

I hope you can use IndieListers.com to help select the best one, and I hope you'll share your results.

Our community is approaching 300 strong. The list is building, and the data will help bring everything into focus.

IndieListers is the FIRST PLACE TO GO before your plan your promo, and the FIRST PLACE TO GO when your promo is over.

Come join us! :) It's free!

Offline mmandolin

• Cambridge, Massachusetts
  • Just a monkey with a pipe...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2016, 02:47:50 PM »
Jason - just sent you some numbers for a recent promo of "Relax More, Try Less." Let me know if you have questions, and good luck with the site  :D

Offline jasonbladd

• View Profile
    • jasonbladd.com
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2016, 03:24:25 PM »
Jason - just sent you some numbers for a recent promo of "Relax More, Try Less." Let me know if you have questions, and good luck with the site  :D

Awesome. I see it! Thanks for helping us!

Looks like it was 184 Downloads at a cost of $0.69 per download. You had your book on Amazon only for $0.99, correct?

So it looks like you probably didn't break even, but got some good exposure. 

What is your goal: impact, reach, or revenue?

Offline mmandolin

• Cambridge, Massachusetts
  • Just a monkey with a pipe...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2016, 04:10:07 PM »
Awesome. I see it! Thanks for helping us!

Looks like it was 184 Downloads at a cost of $0.69 per download. You had your book on Amazon only for $0.99, correct?

So it looks like you probably didn't break even, but got some good exposure. 

What is your goal: impact, reach, or revenue?

It was a semi-underwhelming promo. I actually broke even because it was 70% KCD + about 1,000 KENP read. Main point was some added exposure. Highest rank was 2,832 and it was #1 in a couple of categories. Now it's sitting in the 15K range.

Offline jasonbladd

• View Profile
    • jasonbladd.com
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2016, 08:41:42 PM »
It was a semi-underwhelming promo. I actually broke even because it was 70% KCD + about 1,000 KENP read. Main point was some added exposure. Highest rank was 2,832 and it was #1 in a couple of categories. Now it's sitting in the 15K range.

Thanks for that. And good luck with your next batch of promos!

Offline GwynnEWhite

• UK
    • View Profile
    • Gwynn White Author
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2016, 02:39:49 AM »
I have tried twice now to sign up but I never get the second verification email. :-(
High-octane steampunk fantasy with a dash of romance and intrigue.
Gwynn White | Website | Facebook | Twitter

Offline jasonbladd

• View Profile
    • jasonbladd.com
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2016, 07:08:18 AM »
I have tried twice now to sign up but I never get the second verification email. :-(

I'm sorry about that, Gwynn. I just sent you an email ;)

Offline jasonbladd

• View Profile
    • jasonbladd.com
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2016, 11:53:40 AM »
We have almost 300 authors on IndieListers now, and the promotions results are starting to come in!

I'm also loving all the feedback. Thank you!

I'll continue trying to make it better, and more useful for us all!

If you haven't seen the website yet, it's the place to go before--and more important, after--your next book promotion!

Link is in my signature line. :)

Offline jasonbladd

• View Profile
    • jasonbladd.com
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2016, 11:06:43 AM »
Authors, I'd love to get your feedback on IndieListers. I'm encouraged by the signups and authors sharing results.  Thank you!

What questions would you add for the submission form?

I'm brainstorming a product called IndieListers Insights. What kind of insights would you like to have extracted from the data?

What is a problem you faced when planning and running your promos that you wish could be solved?

Would love to hear all your inputs! :)

Offline jasonbladd

• View Profile
    • jasonbladd.com
I want to help you find and pick effective book promos!

Check out IndieListers (in my signature line)

By the way, I just discovered Indie Author Retweet Group (#IARTG). 

Have you checked them out? Looks like a good service.

Offline jasonbladd

• View Profile
    • jasonbladd.com
The great folks at Indies Unlimited published a guest post on IndieListers today.

Check it out to learn more about the free service that helps you develop a method to your promotion selecting madness!

Link is here:  http://wp.me/p1WnN1-hPD

Offline jasonbladd

• View Profile
    • jasonbladd.com
Our community of IndieListers continues to swell!

Come check us out if you want helping finding and picking GOOD book promotion services!

We don't promote books. We help you find the people who do it well :)

And yes, it's free.

Want to hear more? Check out this guest post on IndiesUnlimited.com

http://www.indiesunlimited.com/2016/05/15/indielisters-the-promotion-results-database-youve-been-looking-for/

or see the "IndieListers" link in my signature line.

Offline jasonbladd

• View Profile
    • jasonbladd.com
There's a new Book Barbarian entry on IndieListers.

By the way, I'm planning on building out the website. Looking to build a team who would be interested in lending their skills and becoming part of the project. Got skillz? Give me a shout!

Offline jasonbladd

• View Profile
    • jasonbladd.com
Re: Pick effective promos with IndieListers. Browse and share RESULTS here!!!
« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2016, 03:49:53 PM »
I now have a BookBub scheduled for Nov 24 for One of the Few. I'm going with a $.99 promo.

This was my 4th attempt, and my first submission with the book WIDE. I also had over 80 Amazon reviews (versus less than 30 in the beginning).

You know I'll be sharing the results on IndieListers!

Offline jasonbladd

• View Profile
    • jasonbladd.com
Re: Pick effective promos with Indielisters. Browse and share RESULTS here!!!
« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2017, 03:20:05 PM »
Looking forward to a new year of promos and book sales.

Don't forget to share your results!

Offline jasonbladd

• View Profile
    • jasonbladd.com
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2017, 02:06:32 PM »
Getting back into the swing of things with the New Year. I hope Indielisters can help you pick some fruitful promo stacks!

Offline CrazyHorze

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2017, 04:40:51 PM »
I don't want to be a jerk, but I understand why you ask indies to subscribe to add their promo results (anti-manipulation), but why are you asking me, who only wants to see the results to subscribe?

Updated to remove the sentence: Are you trying to help writers or harvest emails? as it seems to touched a raw nerve with OP which was not my design. Agree to disagree. Good luck!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 06:58:04 PM by CrazyHorze »

Offline jasonbladd

• View Profile
    • jasonbladd.com
« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2017, 06:27:43 PM »
I don't want to be a jerk, but I understand why you ask indies to subscribe to add their promo results (anti-manipulation), but why are you asking me, who only wants to see the results to subscribe? Are you trying to help writers or harvest emails?

The purpose of this community is to help authors. As you question my motives, are you trying to help writers or harvest discord? You seem to think helping authors with a valuable service and building an email list are mutually exclusive. Not the case.

Offline Jon Stuen-Parker

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2017, 08:22:42 PM »
Dear Jason, Although I've never done any promos (except "comments section" of the Boston Herald) - I plan doing so after my next book.

Edited. Promotion is not permitted in the Writers' Cafe. - Becca
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 09:30:51 PM by Becca Mills »

Offline jasonbladd

• View Profile
    • jasonbladd.com
« Reply #53 on: January 29, 2017, 04:19:52 PM »
Dear Jason, Although I've never done any promos (except "comments section" of the Boston Herald) - I plan doing so after my next book.

Edited. Promotion is not permitted in the Writers' Cafe. - Becca

Thanks Jon! Looks like a very interesting book!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 09:31:22 PM by Becca Mills »

Offline jasonbladd

• View Profile
    • jasonbladd.com
Re: Massive database of book promotion results
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2017, 03:04:28 PM »
Indielisters has a new logo :)

And don't forget to sign up for Monthly Reminders so you can remember to share your latest results.

See the Indielisters link in my signature.

-J

Offline jasonbladd

• View Profile
    • jasonbladd.com
« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2017, 09:59:31 AM »
New results in for AskDavid, Buck Books, and The eReader Cafe!

Offline Norman Steele Taylor

• Kindle Publishers' Best Friend
    • View Profile
    • Hire a fulltime native English speaker writer : as low as only $250 per month
« Reply #56 on: February 25, 2017, 06:10:55 PM »
Any ad numbers for Facebook ad results?

Offline jasonbladd

• View Profile
    • jasonbladd.com
« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2017, 08:45:24 AM »
Any ad numbers for Facebook ad results?

I've added "Facebook Ads" as an options on the Submission Form.

Great suggestions! Keep 'em comin'!

Offline WildYonderPress

• View Profile
    • Zombie Bigfoot
« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2017, 01:47:34 PM »
I was juuusssst about to finish my bout of Kboards procrastination and get back to writing when I spotted this thread.  I'm new here so I hadn't spotted it before.  I just did a 99 cent promo and posted a hefty breakdown of my experiences.  Rather than clutter this thread, you can find it here: https://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,248041.0.html

I'll definitely check out your site.  Two questions:  Do you make note of whether an ad is on "Day One" of a promo ad campaign?  Since many subscribers belong to multiple lists there must be diminishing returns for promo sites scheduled later... and yet if THEY had been the day one choice, they might have outperformed the one an author chose.  I'd LOVE to see some data of how different sites performed on Day One only.

Question two: do you take genres into effect?  Forgive me for not dashing over there right now and answering these myself but I've GOT to get back to work.  Thanks!

Nick Sullivan
www.zombiebigfoot.com

Offline DGS

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2017, 02:28:11 PM »
Need a sorting feature.. also people listing 5 sites doesen't help much unless they specifically state which worked best -  its a good start and I suggest working on the input fields descriptions to get the best/most helpful data possible.

Offline jasonbladd

• View Profile
    • jasonbladd.com
« Reply #60 on: February 26, 2017, 03:10:42 PM »
I was juuusssst about to finish my bout of Kboards procrastination and get back to writing when I spotted this thread.  I'm new here so I hadn't spotted it before.  I just did a 99 cent promo and posted a hefty breakdown of my experiences.  Rather than clutter this thread, you can find it here: https://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,248041.0.html

I'll definitely check out your site.  Two questions:  Do you make note of whether an ad is on "Day One" of a promo ad campaign?  Since many subscribers belong to multiple lists there must be diminishing returns for promo sites scheduled later... and yet if THEY had been the day one choice, they might have outperformed the one an author chose.  I'd LOVE to see some data of how different sites performed on Day One only.

Question two: do you take genres into effect?  Forgive me for not dashing over there right now and answering these myself but I've GOT to get back to work.  Thanks!

Nick Sullivan
www.zombiebigfoot.com

Nick,

There is a place for leaving comments. This is where you could add some explanation (e.g. "ServiceX on day one, 250 downloads from that day alone").

And yes, there is place to list the genre of your book as well as a lot of other data to help get a feel for the overall situation.

Great questions!

Offline jasonbladd

• View Profile
    • jasonbladd.com
« Reply #61 on: February 27, 2017, 09:30:45 AM »
Need a sorting feature.. also people listing 5 sites doesen't help much unless they specifically state which worked best -  its a good start and I suggest working on the input fields descriptions to get the best/most helpful data possible.

Great feedback! Taken on board. Regarding which sites worked the best, for now, that's something authors can make a note of in the comments field.

Offline jasonbladd

• View Profile
    • jasonbladd.com
« Reply #62 on: March 06, 2017, 09:01:06 AM »
Mega-list updated with several new promotion sites added :)

Offline jasonbladd

• View Profile
    • jasonbladd.com
« Reply #63 on: March 13, 2017, 03:59:43 PM »
I'd love to add a sorting feature to Indielisters.

The challenge is making it sortable for everyone in real time, without changing/deleting the data.

Calling all techies! If you want to help me with a solution, hit me up! :)

Offline jasonbladd

• View Profile
    • jasonbladd.com
« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2017, 10:40:28 AM »
Still looking for help to figure out how to make the list sortable for everyone :)

Online Anma Natsu

• Texas
    • View Profile
    • Anma Natsu
« Reply #65 on: March 22, 2017, 04:54:29 PM »
Still looking for help to figure out how to make the list sortable for everyone :)

I'm not a subscriber, but from the screen shots, it looks like its powered by Google Sheets, not any kind of database, and the sheet is embedded in a web page?

If I have that correct, Google Sheets can't be sortable natively when embedded (some weirdo idea Google came up with), but you might be able to do it using the Awesome Table gadget: https://sites.google.com/site/scriptsexamples/available-web-apps/awesome-tables

Hope that helps some :)

Offline jasonbladd

• View Profile
    • jasonbladd.com
« Reply #66 on: March 24, 2017, 09:33:52 AM »
I'm not a subscriber, but from the screen shots, it looks like its powered by Google Sheets, not any kind of database, and the sheet is embedded in a web page?

If I have that correct, Google Sheets can't be sortable natively when embedded (some weirdo idea Google came up with), but you might be able to do it using the Awesome Table gadget: https://sites.google.com/site/scriptsexamples/available-web-apps/awesome-tables

Hope that helps some :)

thank you for this. I'll be checking it out!  Do you have experience with this program?

Online Anma Natsu

• Texas
    • View Profile
    • Anma Natsu
« Reply #67 on: March 24, 2017, 01:29:52 PM »
No, but since its recommended by Google, figured it was a good one :-) 

Offline jasonbladd

• View Profile
    • jasonbladd.com
« Reply #68 on: March 25, 2017, 12:25:17 PM »
No, but since its recommended by Google, figured it was a good one :-)

I've checked it out. It has potential. I'd have to do some restructuring.

Offline jasonbladd

• View Profile
    • jasonbladd.com
« Reply #69 on: April 03, 2017, 11:50:34 AM »
New listing for AMS and Bargain Booksy. Check it out!

Offline jasonbladd

• View Profile
    • jasonbladd.com
« Reply #70 on: April 08, 2017, 10:55:22 AM »
New entry for AwesomeGang. Doing audiobook promotions? You can list them here, too. I have AudiobookBoom.com on there as an option.

I don't know all the audiobook promotions sites, so if you know of any, please reply and then I can add them to the list!

Offline jasonbladd

• View Profile
    • jasonbladd.com
« Reply #71 on: April 17, 2017, 11:03:59 AM »
New BookBub results posted today. Thanks for the entry!

Offline jasonbladd

• View Profile
    • jasonbladd.com
« Reply #72 on: April 25, 2017, 09:30:05 AM »
more and more authors are using Indielisters to help schedule their promotions. So glad they're finally finding it!

Offline EmmaS

• Pacific Northwest
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 25, 2017, 12:11:47 PM »
Totally agree with this. Trying to figure out the value of one site is almost impossible when it's grouped with fifteen others. I also agree with others here that a sorting feature would be helpful.

Having said that, this is an awesome resource. Not only does it help me when figuring out where to promote, it also makes me more willing to take risks on unfamiliar sites, because I can easily share the info I collect with other authors. The value of spending $30 on an unknown site to find out whether it's any good is low; the value of spending that $30 so LOTS of people can know whether there's good ROI is pretty high to me.

I'll add my recent promos to this list when I get the password.

Offline jasonbladd

• View Profile
    • jasonbladd.com
« Reply #74 on: April 25, 2017, 01:21:15 PM »
Totally agree with this. Trying to figure out the value of one site is almost impossible when it's grouped with fifteen others. I also agree with others here that a sorting feature would be helpful.

Having said that, this is an awesome resource. Not only does it help me when figuring out where to promote, it also makes me more willing to take risks on unfamiliar sites, because I can easily share the info I collect with other authors. The value of spending $30 on an unknown site to find out whether it's any good is low; the value of spending that $30 so LOTS of people can know whether there's good ROI is pretty high to me.

I'll add my recent promos to this list when I get the password.

thanks Emma! The sort feature is something I've wanted for a while. For now, authors can use the "Comments" portion of the entry to describe which site had the best results. For example, they can do this if they're tracking clicks with separate Bitly links per promotion.

Kboarders, what are some other ways to trac your promotion stats when you have a stack on a single day?

Offline jasonbladd

• View Profile
    • jasonbladd.com
« Reply #75 on: May 04, 2017, 08:44:05 PM »

Nick Sullivan
www.zombiebigfoot.com

How did your promo turn out?

Offline jasonbladd

• View Profile
    • jasonbladd.com
« Reply #76 on: May 19, 2017, 10:25:28 AM »
You asked for it, and you're going to get it.

Many of you have asked to be able to sort the database on Indielisters. This is something I've wanted to add for a long time, but just haven't had the time and skills to make it happen.

But that's changing in July. I'm updating the website to a traditional membership site. No more weird Indielisters password. You'll have your own profile page with your own unique username and password.

And I'm making the entire database downloadable for members. Then you can geek out to your heart's content.

In the meantime, you can help us all make it more valuable by sharing your promo results so we can fill the database with even more numbers for you to crunch!

Keep the great suggestions coming!

:)

Offline jasonbladd

• View Profile
    • jasonbladd.com
« Reply #77 on: June 02, 2017, 07:11:19 PM »
Indielisters has received some pretty sweet upgrades.

The new website is now a traditional membership site. No more weird one-off passwords for the submission form.

And now you can download data and sort to your heart's content.

Want to help me out? Help me build the list with your entries. The more you provide, the more I'll be able to provide for download and analysis.

Thanks and see you on the list!

Offline jasonbladd

• View Profile
    • jasonbladd.com
« Reply #78 on: June 19, 2017, 11:39:52 AM »
thank you for all the new signup! I guess you're liking the new website and downloadable data!

Don't forget to add your data in an entry!

Offline gregjgordon

• New Brunswick, Canada
  • Forgiveness is not optional. The Apostle pleads wi
    • View Profile
    • Greg Gordon Amazon Author Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 20, 2017, 04:30:57 AM »
The waiting is over. We now have New York Times Bestselling authors on IndieListers!

I just ran my second free promo for One of the Few on 25-26 Jan.

I used IndieListers data to optimize and plan my promos.

The result was 5,475 downloads, #1 in four Amazon categories, Top 3 in two others, and #41 of all free Kindle ebooks.

This is the highest number of downloads on IndieListers for a promo without a BookBub ;)

Great service and idea Jason, it is such a hard field to understand where to exactly market or share your books online, you are doing a good service to help some.
Greg Gordon

---

Online NeilMosspark

• Building a universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 20, 2017, 07:25:08 AM »
Matt Manochio has released a blog article giving numbers for several ad purchases he did as an experiment:

https://mattmanochio.wordpress.com/2015/04/09/lessons-in-advertising-my-ebook-what-worked-what-didnt/

This was very informative. Thanks.

Offline jasonbladd

• View Profile
    • jasonbladd.com
« Reply #81 on: June 20, 2017, 09:46:10 AM »

Great service and idea Jason, it is such a hard field to understand where to exactly market or share your books online, you are doing a good service to help some.

thanks Greg. Glad you found it!

Offline jasonbladd

• View Profile
    • jasonbladd.com
« Reply #82 on: June 21, 2017, 09:33:24 AM »

You bet Neil. Have you checked it out?

Offline Vinny OHare

• New York City
    • View Profile
    • Awesomegang
« Reply #83 on: June 21, 2017, 09:42:01 AM »

This was from 2015?

Offline jasonbladd

• View Profile
    • jasonbladd.com
« Reply #84 on: June 21, 2017, 01:54:10 PM »
This was from 2015?

yes, the link he found was at the beginning of this thread, a ways back.