Kindle Forum banner

Share and browse author services experiences on Indielisters

17K views 120 replies 27 participants last post by  jasonbladd 
#1 ·
Update: There's a new list on Indielisters! We've started a database for Author Services Reviews.

-Do you use an amazing cover designer?

-Have you paid for a marketing or promotion service that just wasn't worth it?

-Discovered an online summit with awesome discounts and content?

Share all of your author services experiences with the author community so they can find the best products and value!

"It's like Angie's List for authors"

Hello Kboarders,
Indielisters is helping authors develop a method for their book promotion and author services-picking madness. Browse the lists to find out what works. Then share your results and experiences to help out your fellow authors.

Let's get our experiences out of the trenches and into the light, and all in one spot!

Gain access here

And when you add your results, let authors know by posting a "reply" in this thread!

-Jason

See less See more
#52 ·
CrazyHorze said:
I don't want to be a jerk, but I understand why you ask indies to subscribe to add their promo results (anti-manipulation), but why are you asking me, who only wants to see the results to subscribe? Are you trying to help writers or harvest emails?
The purpose of this community is to help authors. As you question my motives, are you trying to help writers or harvest discord? You seem to think helping authors with a valuable service and building an email list are mutually exclusive. Not the case.

#59 ·
I was juuusssst about to finish my bout of Kboards procrastination and get back to writing when I spotted this thread. I'm new here so I hadn't spotted it before. I just did a 99 cent promo and posted a hefty breakdown of my experiences. Rather than clutter this thread, you can find it here: https://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,248041.0.html

I'll definitely check out your site. Two questions: Do you make note of whether an ad is on "Day One" of a promo ad campaign? Since many subscribers belong to multiple lists there must be diminishing returns for promo sites scheduled later... and yet if THEY had been the day one choice, they might have outperformed the one an author chose. I'd LOVE to see some data of how different sites performed on Day One only.

Question two: do you take genres into effect? Forgive me for not dashing over there right now and answering these myself but I've GOT to get back to work. Thanks!

Nick Sullivan
www.zombiebigfoot.com

#61 ·
WildYonderPress said:
I was juuusssst about to finish my bout of Kboards procrastination and get back to writing when I spotted this thread. I'm new here so I hadn't spotted it before. I just did a 99 cent promo and posted a hefty breakdown of my experiences. Rather than clutter this thread, you can find it here: https://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,248041.0.html

I'll definitely check out your site. Two questions: Do you make note of whether an ad is on "Day One" of a promo ad campaign? Since many subscribers belong to multiple lists there must be diminishing returns for promo sites scheduled later... and yet if THEY had been the day one choice, they might have outperformed the one an author chose. I'd LOVE to see some data of how different sites performed on Day One only.

Question two: do you take genres into effect? Forgive me for not dashing over there right now and answering these myself but I've GOT to get back to work. Thanks!

Nick Sullivan
www.zombiebigfoot.com
Nick,

There is a place for leaving comments. This is where you could add some explanation (e.g. "ServiceX on day one, 250 downloads from that day alone").

And yes, there is place to list the genre of your book as well as a lot of other data to help get a feel for the overall situation.

Great questions!

#62 ·
DGS said:
Need a sorting feature.. also people listing 5 sites doesen't help much unless they specifically state which worked best - its a good start and I suggest working on the input fields descriptions to get the best/most helpful data possible.
Great feedback! Taken on board. Regarding which sites worked the best, for now, that's something authors can make a note of in the comments field.

G
#66 ·
jasonbladd said:
Still looking for help to figure out how to make the list sortable for everyone :)
I'm not a subscriber, but from the screen shots, it looks like its powered by Google Sheets, not any kind of database, and the sheet is embedded in a web page?

If I have that correct, Google Sheets can't be sortable natively when embedded (some weirdo idea Google came up with), but you might be able to do it using the Awesome Table gadget: https://sites.google.com/site/scriptsexamples/available-web-apps/awesome-tables

Hope that helps some :)

#67 ·
Anma Natsu said:
I'm not a subscriber, but from the screen shots, it looks like its powered by Google Sheets, not any kind of database, and the sheet is embedded in a web page?

If I have that correct, Google Sheets can't be sortable natively when embedded (some weirdo idea Google came up with), but you might be able to do it using the Awesome Table gadget: https://sites.google.com/site/scriptsexamples/available-web-apps/awesome-tables

Hope that helps some :)
thank you for this. I'll be checking it out! Do you have experience with this program?

#74 ·
DGS said:
Need a sorting feature.. also people listing 5 sites doesen't help much unless they specifically state which worked best - its a good start and I suggest working on the input fields descriptions to get the best/most helpful data possible.
Totally agree with this. Trying to figure out the value of one site is almost impossible when it's grouped with fifteen others. I also agree with others here that a sorting feature would be helpful.

Having said that, this is an awesome resource. Not only does it help me when figuring out where to promote, it also makes me more willing to take risks on unfamiliar sites, because I can easily share the info I collect with other authors. The value of spending $30 on an unknown site to find out whether it's any good is low; the value of spending that $30 so LOTS of people can know whether there's good ROI is pretty high to me.

I'll add my recent promos to this list when I get the password.

#75 ·
EmmaS said:
Totally agree with this. Trying to figure out the value of one site is almost impossible when it's grouped with fifteen others. I also agree with others here that a sorting feature would be helpful.

Having said that, this is an awesome resource. Not only does it help me when figuring out where to promote, it also makes me more willing to take risks on unfamiliar sites, because I can easily share the info I collect with other authors. The value of spending $30 on an unknown site to find out whether it's any good is low; the value of spending that $30 so LOTS of people can know whether there's good ROI is pretty high to me.

I'll add my recent promos to this list when I get the password.
thanks Emma! The sort feature is something I've wanted for a while. For now, authors can use the "Comments" portion of the entry to describe which site had the best results. For example, they can do this if they're tracking clicks with separate Bitly links per promotion.

Kboarders, what are some other ways to trac your promotion stats when you have a stack on a single day?

#76 ·
WildYonderPress said:

Nick Sullivan
www.zombiebigfoot.com
How did your promo turn out?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.