Author Topic: Do you still buy paper books? Used bookstores are making a comeback...  (Read 7091 times)  

Offline William Peter Grasso

• View Profile
Re: Do you still buy paper books? Used bookstores are making a comeback...
« Reply #100 on: April 04, 2017, 07:31:55 AM »
I consider used book stores a treasure. I'm thrilled to see there's data out there showing them coming back. There's one in my city (and only one, darn it, unless you count the college bookstore). I especially find them great places to seek research matter--especially info that's not necessarily mainstream. And yes, like so many of the replies above have stated, I still love the look and feel of a print book in my hands.
That said, I must come clean and say that almost of all of my reading these days--fiction and nonfiction--is done on my Kindles. The devices help me multi-task in ways not possible with paper, like reading at meals despite the culinary demands on my hands, while using exercise machines, etc. I especially like that when traveling, I carry a virtual library with me--with the ability to instantly acquire books I suddenly fancy--in the same compact device that provides my on-the-road email and internet access.
People often tell us our house looks like a library and nowadays, we take that as a compliment (in the early days of our marriage, I can still hear my mother's disparaging comment "You two use books as furniture." And she said it like it was a bad thing).
So yes, we own thousands of titles in print--but still love and depend on our ereaders.
WPG
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 06:14:51 AM by William Peter Grasso »

William Peter Grasso | Facebook | Author Central | Twitter

Offline KyleConnor

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 05, 2017, 04:43:42 AM »
Hmm. Paperbacks. Not really. I haven't bought a single paperback since I got my first kindle in 2012. It's easy to download a pdf on Amazon or read books online on sites like Bartleby. But I'll definitely visit one of these stores to get some books for my mom. She loves her books the old way.

Offline Tahereh K.V. Dehkordi

• Mashhad
  • Pen the best tool
    • View Profile
    • dastanan
« Reply #102 on: April 05, 2017, 06:33:47 AM »
Why not?! I pride new technologies of book readers. But I haven't find a good replacement of my paperback books. I can convey them in flexible ways anywhere you think.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 06:35:46 AM by Tahereh K.V. Dehkordi »
archaeology, astronomy and biology are in the same way: being human
http://www.enahang.ir/dastanan.htm

Offline KennySkylin

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 05, 2017, 03:22:31 PM »
Yes, I still buy paper books. I love my Kindle and the convenience of ebooks, but sometimes I just want the experience of holding and flipping through a paper book. The feel, sound, and smell of a real book can never really be replaced totally. There is some tactile nostalgic thing going on there that I still enjoy from time to time.

Online Lorri Moulton

• Author of Romances, Mysteries, and Fairytales
    • View Profile
    • Lavender Lass Books
« Reply #104 on: April 05, 2017, 11:11:58 PM »
Yes, I still buy paper books. I love my Kindle and the convenience of ebooks, but sometimes I just want the experience of holding and flipping through a paper book. The feel, sound, and smell of a real book can never really be replaced totally. There is some tactile nostalgic thing going on there that I still enjoy from time to time.

Kenny, I agree!  I love paperbacks, as long as the print is not too small.  (Full disclosure...that seems to be more of a problem recently than it used to be.)  I should add that my books are not in paper, but that's only because I am new to all this and saving up to buy my ISBN numbers!

Browsing in a used book store and finding the perfect book is a wonderful experience.  I am so happy to see that paper is not being phased out.  Ideally, having both gives everyone the most options...but paper cannot be updated or changed.  I keep thinking of that episode of Original Star Trek, where Kirk's attorney had all those old-fashioned, hard cover law books.  Something to be said for that! :)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 11:13:40 PM by Lorri Moulton »

Please visit my Amazon author page to see my books...99 cents each, for the month of April.
Lorri Moulton | Website | Amazon | Facebook | Twitter

Offline TT Rankin

• Menomonee Falls, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 06, 2017, 04:51:07 AM »
I have a kindle, and it's used exclusively for games and streaming shows.  I read one ebook and that was it for me, there's something about holding a paperback in my hand that I'm not sure ill ever get over.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Let's go NATS
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 06, 2017, 12:37:56 PM »
I have a kindle, and it's used exclusively for games and streaming shows.  I read one ebook and that was it for me, there's something about holding a paperback in my hand that I'm not sure ill ever get over.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

What you have is probably a Fire if you use it for games and videos. :) An eInk kindle is a very different reading experience to a tablet . . . much closer to a paper book.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline LDB

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 21, 2017, 06:05:50 PM »
^^^ What she said plus all the free books you can get for the Kindle.

Offline Annon

• California
  • the Taoist concept of graceful living - wei wu wei
    • View Profile
    • Tao and Love
« Reply #108 on: April 30, 2017, 07:26:26 AM »
I publish hardcovers and some paperback, and I must tell you that MY sales in the eBook format have declined since 2008-9 especially the Nook and iBook reader. I am a reprint publisher. Even my Kindle sales have experienced decline while my hardcover books have increased by around 11% per Ingram. So, when you write to the Kindle, it is wise to keep real book publishing in your wishlist. Someone (a Publisher) may pick up your book for either foreign translation or print rights however remote that possibility is.

Oh yes, I also buy real books! Kindle is only to introduce your work and get some exposure IMHO.    :)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 07:33:21 AM by Annon »
I am Taoist Author/Publisher with over 200 books in print and in electronic format. I have written my memoirs, "Doing, by not Doing", basically to honor my late father. I do not care if my memoir is read or not, I will promote it as long as I can, anonymously.

Offline LauraB

• midwest, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 30, 2017, 07:57:30 AM »
I read around 100 books a year, almost never read kindle only published or self published books on kindle.  Learned early I just don't like the quality of most so don't spend my time on them.  Almost all the books I read are kindle versions unless it isn't available.  I have a BA in Literature so maybe I just got over the paper feel thing. To me it is quality of writing and convenience of the kindle. I like have so many books at my fingertips, being able to control font and lighting, and the translation option is nice as well. To each their own. But I don't aagreecat all with the person who thought kindle was just to introduce to readers. But then again maybe it's a genre thing.
Books read in 2010: 43 2011: 42 + the Bible 2012: 60; books read 2013:56*

Offline BiancaSommerland

• Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Im-No-Angel
I love going to used bookstores. And new bookstores. And digital bookstores! lol

Sometimes I need to close all technology and just soak in the words of a great book. I love my kindle, but I'm horrible at keeping it charged. And since I work behind a screen all day it's nice to look at something completely different.

I'm also one of those people who love the feel and smell of books.  8)

Step up to The Edge
Bianca Sommerland | website | twitter | facebook

Offline SherritheWriter

• View Profile
I swore off hardbacks when I got my Kindle, because they're not portable or easy to handle. i occasionally buy a paperback, and it's almost always at a secondhand book store, because that's almost all that's available. We have a Books a Million a few miles away (in a high traffic area) and our one and only Barnes & Noble is clear across town so far away, that for all intents and purposes, it IS out of town. Of course, ebooks on Kindle are my main reads now. But I'll get nostalgic and buy a paperback every now and then.

What do you see?
Sherri Fulmer Moorer | website | blog | Amazon | Goodreads | Twitter | Facebook | Google+ | Pinterest

Offline Erin Zarro

• Michigan
    • View Profile
    • Weaver of Words
I have two Kindles, and I still from time to time read paperbacks/hardcovers. I can't seem to give them up. There's nothing like holding a book in your hand. But, Kindles/ereaders are great for portability and storage (if I had 3,000 paperbacks here at home? We'd have no room for anything else!).

Offline LDB

• Texas
    • View Profile
With the price of Kindle books going up and up and up it's becoming more and more beneficial to shop the used book stores for paperbacks to save money.

Offline rchapman1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
    • ritaleechapman.com
I still prefer a paperback and often get them in the charity shops - they are really well-priced and when I've read it I can donate it back again.
Rita Lee Chapman
[=Missing in Egypt=]
  Dangerous Associations

Offline Alberto L Pupo

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 06, 2017, 08:58:51 AM »
I personally purchase more book digitally out of sheer convenience. But I will stay buy hardcovers and paperback from time to time. Just not as frequently. I think one of the biggest edges that the digital format has is quite frankly storage space. For example I am a voracious reader and in my reader I can store about 400 books. If I tries to do that with paperback, I really would not have the storage space. So that is one big advantage over digital not to mention in the end it is more cost effective as well.

Alberto Pupo | Author Blog

Offline padowd

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 10, 2017, 02:26:03 PM »
I still love paper books. I like to hold them, smell them and read them. We have a library in our home and we have a ton of books. We have been collecting for a long time though. My husband and I both have two Kindles and we love them. We have hundreds of books on them and we love to take them on vacation or just out and about town. Much better than taking a paper book. We have a couple used bookstores in our town and we love to go in from time to time and browse. I am happy to see that maybe they want go away. I grew up with my dad and I getting up on a Saturday morning and heading to the two used bookstores in our town. My mom did not read so it was a special time for us to be able to spend it together. He and I were both avid readers so I have a special love for bookstores. I grew up on Nancy Drew books. My dad loved science fiction and fantasy which i have never really liked. But yes,I will always buy and surround myself with paper books even though I love my Kindles.

Offline DesignEbookCover

• View Profile
    • Design Ebook Cover
« Reply #117 on: June 11, 2017, 06:56:27 AM »
Comeback is a strong word. I don't know if it's true, i can tell you that in my home town there is a new store that sells used books for low prices.
I for once like to read real books I find it really hard reading articles or books from digital screen it simply easier to read from a paper than from a screen.
Learn how to create custom ebook cover designs all by yourself and while using photoshop:
http://www.designebookcover.com/