Author Topic: Do you still buy paper books? Used bookstores are making a comeback...  (Read 8685 times)  

Offline KathyWren

• View Profile
Re: Do you still buy paper books? Used bookstores are making a comeback...
« Reply #125 on: July 31, 2017, 08:08:06 PM »
Count me in as another lover of print books. I read e-books because they're affordable in bulk, but print books are my best friends. When I run into them around the house, I only have to see the cover to remember the plot and what it made me feel when I read it. I don't seem to make the same connection with e-book covers, possibly because I only see it once rather than every time I pick it up. 

...now I feel guilty for doing so much electronic reading lately.  I'm going to go make sure my books know that I still love them.  :)

Offline anguabell

• View Profile
    • Goodreads
« Reply #126 on: August 01, 2017, 12:58:21 PM »
...now I feel guilty for doing so much electronic reading lately.  I'm going to go make sure my books know that I still love them.  :)

That's exactly how I sometimes feel :)

Offline FrancisLeggett

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 02, 2017, 03:52:39 PM »
I don't think I could ever bring myself to completely give up books in their physical form. If I want to relax at home with a good book, that's when I truly rely on paperbacks. I tend to save my kindle for travelling and holidays, so in that sense it's a total lifesaver. I mean what would a holiday be without a few good books? :)

Francis Leggett

Offline Elsye_Harwood

• View Profile
    • Elsye Harwood
« Reply #128 on: August 07, 2017, 02:09:19 PM »
I  still prefer print books. I know they take up a lot  of room, but there's something comforting  about having book shelves around the house.
We're in the process of downsizing, so we've had to throw some out and it's been such a wrench.  I have to add that they all went to the charity shop. I'd never throw a book away.
And it was only a couple of bags in the end  because I  couldn't quite bring myself to get rid of them. You see, I might read them again. You never know.  ;)

Historical fantasy mainly but knowing me it'll be all the ones I read as a child. Enid Blyton Scifi?
Elsye Harwood | My Blog | Facebook | Twitter

Online LovingLife139

• Cincinnati, Ohio
    • View Profile
    • Rosie Scott's Book Blog
« Reply #129 on: October 03, 2017, 08:11:14 PM »
That's all I buy. I have a Kindle, but I've only read one book on it and now just use it to double check the formatting on my own books. Paperbacks smell and feel better (ha). Also, most of the books I read (non-fiction accounts of war generals and the like) are too expensive on Kindle to justify not having something tangible. I also love graphic novels and manga, and I own a Paper White (I think, I don't even know for sure!), so I can't enjoy the art, which is half the fun with such books.

I will not read on Kindle unless I am eventually forced to (by lack of paperbacks or worsening eyesight). Who knows? Maybe when it comes to that I won't read at all anymore. Currently, if I find a book that sounds good and it's only available in e-book form, I just don't read it.  :(

Dystopian, science fiction, and fantasy
Rosie Scott | Blog

Offline storyteller

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 09, 2017, 09:12:36 PM »
I have to buy print books, many authors are not in ebook form. 

Offline HeidiHoughting

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 09, 2017, 11:56:44 PM »
When I'm at the airport I love to buy a book for the trip, there's something about the weight of it in your hands, the flip of the crisp pages... Holding a book, like stroking a cat - is comforting. I think there is also some research that suggests you remember more when you read from a book than from a screen. :)

Heidi Houghting | Twitter

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac