Author Topic: Do you still buy paper books? Used bookstores are making a comeback...  (Read 7085 times)  

Offline KeraEmory

• View Profile
Do you still buy paper books? Used bookstores are making a comeback...
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2016, 07:37:14 PM »
The boyfriend and I make a couple trips to B&N (only option) per month. We both primarily buy non-fiction in print: travel, history, cooking, books on writing craft for me, technical/engineering books for him.

He likes his fiction in hard copy, I like mine digital. But I'm seriously old school on ebooks--I'm part of the group who trading hand-scanned ebooks 20 years ago because there WAS no way to buy them at that point. I used to read on a Palm Pilot. Yikes.

Offline LiterallyJen

• Utah
  • Copy Editor
    • View Profile
    • Literally Jen
Re: Do you still buy paper books? Used bookstores are making a comeback...
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2016, 05:20:41 PM »
I accidentally ordered a paperback copy of "One Evening in Paris." It's $2.99 for Kindle, and that's what I meant to order.

I should have checked my order slip more carefully and not one-clicked. :-)

Other than that, I almost always buy Kindle copies, unless it's a book I would like for a collectible.

Offline Nikki Vaughn

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2016, 04:19:12 AM »
I don't really buy new paper books anymore unless its a gift for someone else.  Anything new I tend to get now as an e-book unless the price is crazy prohibitive.

On the other hand I absolutely adore used book stores and things like library sales. I buy used books all the time. Partially because you can get best sellers so super cheap in most cases. And partially because it's like going on a treasure hunt. I love digging through stacks of books to find the gems that I want to read. It helps that there are some fantastic used bookstores where I live, though.

luxebookcovers

« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2016, 02:47:29 PM »
I love printed books. This year I've bought six books and I plan to but more :)

Offline niahflame

• Indianapolis, IN
    • View Profile
    • My Goodreads
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2016, 08:08:34 AM »
I sell my physical books at Half-Price Books. As for buying, very rarely. I usually get ebooks if they're under five dollars. I request books at the library. EVERY book I suggest for purchase, has been bought. It may take up to 4 months but I get them! :-) They also have a thing on their website where I can suggest ebooks that aren't in the catalog, but those are rarely bought. My Marion County Library of Indianapolis rocks!
my read shelf:

Online alawston

• London
  • London-based writer and actor
    • View Profile
    • Andrew K Lawston's intermittent blogular adventures
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2016, 08:43:51 AM »
I was in a second hand bookshop yesterday, as it happens. And even though I made my latest beeline for the SF&F shelves, before skirting round general fiction and a quick look at the cookbooks, I ended up buying an Alan Ayckbourn play which caught my eye, and which I'm now hoping to direct with my community theatre group.

None of that would have happened if I'd just spent 20 minutes on Amazon.

Broadly comic writer working across as many genres as he can. Acting done.
Andrew Lawston | Facebook | Twitter

Offline SevenDays

• PNW
  • Imagine something cool and witty here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2016, 02:41:20 PM »
Wow, I can't recall the last time I was in a bookstore for a book for myself; these days I'm strictly an ebook reader. But I much prefer paper for my daughter (she's three).

Regarding used bookstores, we've got a Powell's nearby and they sell used and new together on the same shelves, which I've always found interesting.

Alex A. King | Website

Offline lindnet

• Redding, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2016, 05:44:55 PM »
It's weird....I went almost completely digital for reading for several years.  In the last year or so, I've found myself enjoying paper books again and wanting to read them more often than my Kindle books.  I'm not sure why or what changed, but I'm just going with it.  I still read the Kindle when I'm out and about....vacation or what have you, but at home it's usually paper.  And I LOVE bookstores.  Whenever I visit my son in Portland, OR, a trip to Powell's is a given.
Linda

Offline Fergusanthony

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2016, 02:00:59 PM »
More often than not these days I buy secondhand books, often from charity shops. The big bookshops tend to carry an increasing number of books by a shrinking number of authors. I expect I'll always favour physical books; secondhand books have a history that  ebooks lack. There  are also a lot of people who insist that ebooks aren't real books.

Offline S P Oldham

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2016, 09:11:39 AM »
I still buy 'proper' books regularly. As much as I love my Kindle, nothing beats a good solid book in your hands imo. Plus I love to see bookshelves full of books too, makes the place more homely somehow.

I have always fancied running a little second hand book store - I can see myself nestled in a shop, tucked away in some quaint, picturesque alleyway somewhere in a bustling seaside town...

S P Oldham | Blog | FB page | twitter | Scriggler | Tumblr

Offline Azureintentions

• New York
  • Compromise with Love
    • View Profile
    • Philosophical Love and Writing
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2016, 07:07:45 AM »
Not buying paper back books would be like not buying a wrist watch because they now have the time on microwaves- 

Down under the sky
Evolving days, not one hue
Compromise with love

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Let's go NATS
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2016, 03:04:09 PM »
Not buying paper back books would be like not buying a wrist watch because they now have the time on microwaves- 

Nope. Not a good analogy. 'Cause you don't carry microwaves around with you -- though you might carry a phone or tablet, and so might not need a wristwatch.

You DO -- or at least can carry an eReader. Arguably it can go anywhere a paper back can go. And if you have an eReader full of books, there's no need to carry a paper book.

And, for the record, I know a lot of people who no longer wear a watch because they have the time on their phone -- or, if they do wear a watch, it's a 'smart watch' so they can access stuff on their phones.

Just sayin' ;)

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline Azureintentions

• New York
  • Compromise with Love
    • View Profile
    • Philosophical Love and Writing
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2016, 10:55:59 AM »
I appreciate you taking the time to say...

You've pointed out the absurdity I was eluding to- perhaps next time I'll elaborate on the sarcasm that fills the gap between wrist watch and microwave- and compare it more closely to the absurdity of no longer buying books as I see it.   :o 

Over and out-  My microwave indicates I must run-   

« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 08:11:51 PM by Betsy the Quilter »
Down under the sky
Evolving days, not one hue
Compromise with love

Offline Mike D. aka jmiked

• Central Texas
  • Reading ebooks since 1994!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2016, 09:08:20 PM »
Although I buy mostly ebooks, I still buy the occasional printed book. These are mostly books that I consider 'special' for some reason. Such as a 'coffee-table' book abut Downton Abbey behind-the-scenes. Just about any book that will have photos are bought as printed books. Some programming books I've bought the printed version just because the highlighting of various items still doesn't work right in the ebook versions I've looked at.

And I'm glad that used bookstores are making a comeback. Those printed books are much more likely to be here after the apocalypse (I'm only half kidding).

Mike
What you see depends mainly on what you are looking for.

Offline Howtoguru

• Qualicum Beach, BC, Canada
  • Online Systems Author and Trainer
    • View Profile
    • Howtoguru Mobile Friendly Site
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2016, 08:48:56 AM »
Mostly, I buy the electronically downloadable books from Kindle.  But there are certain authors from bygone eras I still like to read so when I see a used book store, I head in there and spend time.  Paperbacks are still fun - I like to hold them and I love the smell of an old used bookstore.  One thing I like to do is have at least one or two paperbound books on the go so I have something to read while sitting outside on my deck on a sunny day.  You can read a paperback in bright sunshine, but reading a Kindle is tough!  Wonder if you can get Kindle readers with miniature awnings on them these days - like you can get when you buy an RV?  Need more shade to read my Kindle outside!

Best wishes, - Dan

Author, online content creator, online trainer, and professional consultant
Dan Grijzenhout | Home Site | Mobile Site | Blog | YouTube | Google+ | Facebook | Udemy Course Profile | My Training Courses | Skillshare

Offline A.G. Richards

• England
  • Paranormal romance & more
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2016, 03:55:05 PM »
Since I do all my work on a laptop screen, I don't want to be doing all my reading on a screen as well. Kindles are great for commuting and vacations, but when at home I much prefer a paperback.

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
I appreciate you taking the time to say...

You've pointed out the absurdity I was eluding to- perhaps next time I'll elaborate on the sarcasm that fills the gap between wrist watch and microwave- and compare it more closely to the absurdity of no longer buying books as I see it.   :o 

Over and out-  My microwave indicates I must run-   

I actually do check the time on my microwave---we no longer get a wall clock because so many appliances/devices have clocks built in.

And I still buy books.  They're on my Kindle. :D

Betsy
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
Mostly, I buy the electronically downloadable books from Kindle.  But there are certain authors from bygone eras I still like to read so when I see a used book store, I head in there and spend time.  Paperbacks are still fun - I like to hold them and I love the smell of an old used bookstore.  One thing I like to do is have at least one or two paperbound books on the go so I have something to read while sitting outside on my deck on a sunny day.  You can read a paperback in bright sunshine, but reading a Kindle is tough!  Wonder if you can get Kindle readers with miniature awnings on them these days - like you can get when you buy an RV?  Need more shade to read my Kindle outside!

Best wishes, - Dan

Hmmm.... I've never had any trouble reading my Kindle in the sun--that's where eInk has it all over tablets.  Do you have a Fire by chance?

Betsy
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline Abalone

• View Profile
I still buy paperback and hardcover. My hardcover purchases are usually non-fiction, some fiction and cooking. Call me a poser, but I love buying Barnes and Noble collectible editions in hardcover. I've even bought books I never liked simply because they're elegant and maybe someone else will enjoy them one day.

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
  • madhouse escapee #671
    • View Profile
One thing I like to do is have at least one or two paperbound books on the go so I have something to read while sitting outside on my deck on a sunny day.  You can read a paperback in bright sunshine, but reading a Kindle is tough!  Wonder if you can get Kindle readers with miniature awnings on them these days - like you can get when you buy an RV?  Need more shade to read my Kindle outside!

I've been reading outside in the sunshine with my e-ink Kindles from the beginning.  It's been one of the major selling points for reading on a dedicated device rather than a tablet or phone.  Do you maybe have one of the first Fire tablets when they were still called "Kindle Fire"?  If so, that would explain the difficulty with reading in sunlight.

I purchase print books for cookbooks, technical books, and collectible children's books.  Everything else has gone digital.

Offline Spittyfish

• Manitoba, Canada
  • Cover artist, Writer, reader, gardener
    • View Profile
    • Spittyfish Designs
yes, I still buy them, and mostly used ones, but for quite a number of years I worked in a bookstore and I could read reading copies. I do love reading under the glow of my appliance at night though. It's just so darn convenient. I think for me a lot of the reason I still buy paperbacks is the price. Some ebooks are expensive and they can't be displayed on my bookshelf. I buy my favourite stories in paperback.
Cover artist at Spittyfish Designs

Aspiring author.

Offline lyndabelle

• California
    • View Profile
    • Lynda Belle's Blog/Website
I've been reading on my Kindle now for several years, and still find every once in a while I will get a paperback, usually as a gift. I think it's interesting to see how the used book stores and Indie book stores are doing better. Amazon got rid of their competition, the chain book stores. It gives them a chance to flourish, because I don't think paperbooks will go away completely. Even vinyl is coming back, mostly I think, because the Millennials didn't get a chance to see what they were. It intrigues them. Might be the same for paper books in the future. It might change over to everything being POD, and you'd get the choice of paper book or digital book.  :D

The Queens of Andromeda 65%

Love In One Act: Steampunk Erotic Tale #1 67%

Lynda Belle | Website | Amazon Author Page

Offline H7Py49

• NV
  • It's an anomally right?
    • View Profile
    • filmtreelog
I'm reading a series and started with #1.  My library has them in Kindle ebooks, but there are some gaps. Got the hardcover editions of  #5 and #6. Number 6 was really small print, and they didn't have an extra large print version for checkout. Not too much fun. I especially had a hard time finding where I left off. Now I'm on #7 and back to my beloved Kindle, which is set at the zoom I like and lighting on 17 - hog heaven.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 04:32:01 AM by H7Py49 »

Offline gerard_blalock

• View Profile
I still love physical books, and I'm obsessed with used bookstores. I can do a lot of damage to my wallet in a 2nd and Charles. And as much as I love this new trend of big used bookstores, I have to admit feeling a little conflicted that they are now big corporate chains. I've got nothing against chain stores per se, I just want my used bookstores to be a little more cramped and quiet.

The thing I love about buying used books is that moment when I run across something weird or with an interesting cover and only have to risk a couple bucks on it. I've stumbled across some things I never would have found, like an old horror anthology edited by Alfred Hitchcock and a few late 19th century adventure novels. I know you can do the same thing with ebooks, but somehow browsing through pages on an electronic store has never awakened that same sense of adventure for me.

All that being said, I do love my kindle, too.

Offline Don DeBon

• View Profile
    • Don's Writing Corner
While I like paper books in general, I prefer ebooks due to space concerns.  That and some new books I have purchased in the past really reaked smell wise for some reason.  Gave me a headache trying to read them.  I never have that problem with ebooks. ;)

I think used book stores will make a comeback for the simple reason that triditional publishing are fighting as hard as they can to promote paper books and diminish ebooks.  To see that in action all you need to do is look at the prices these days.  $13+ for a paperback and $12 or $11 for a ebook?  That is crazy and most readers know this causing them to buy the paper book instead.  Which is what the publishers want. 

There was a report released recently about how print sales are up vs ebook sales.  A bunch of articles after were trying to tell publishers that they need to wise up if they want more sales.  The problem is, they are not being dumb, this is exactly what they want.  More print sales and little or none of ebook sales that is their game plan.  All of the big 5 in NYC hate ebooks, always have.  And are doing all they can to undermine the ebook ecosystem.

Don DeBon | Website | Twitter | Google+