by M. R. Mathias

$ 3.99
Kindle Edition published 2017-07-09
Bestseller ranking: 7762

Product Description
Taerak's Void
(Book One of Fantastica)
A new series by multiple award winning author, M. R. Mathias

After finding a strange medallion and some maps with markings that no one in his village can understand, Braxton Bray decides to take it all to the Hall of Scholars in the kingdom's capital. But greed is everywhere. Braxton and a tough young female caravan guard named Nixy are forced to run for their lives, for someone else wants what Braxton found and is willing to go to great lengths to take it from him.

With a hefty, kingdom wide, bounty on their heads, not even the great wizards of the Sorcerious can help them. Left with nothing but each other, Braxton and Nixy have no choice but to get on a ship and go on an adventure that will take them places they would have otherwise never imagined. Elves, dwarves, giant gothicans, and trolls, treacherous forests on distant shores, love, death, terror, and magic all await...

Author Topic: Do you still buy paper books? Used bookstores are making a comeback...  (Read 8080 times)  

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Let's go NATS
    • View Profile
While I like paper books in general, I prefer ebooks due to space concerns.  That and some new books I have purchased in the past really reaked smell wise for some reason.  Gave me a headache trying to read them.  I never have that problem with ebooks. ;)

I think used book stores will make a comeback for the simple reason that triditional publishing are fighting as hard as they can to promote paper books and diminish ebooks.  To see that in action all you need to do is look at the prices these days.  $13+ for a paperback and $12 or $11 for a ebook?  That is crazy and most readers know this causing them to buy the paper book instead.  Which is what the publishers want. 

There was a report released recently about how print sales are up vs ebook sales.  A bunch of articles after were trying to tell publishers that they need to wise up if they want more sales.  The problem is, they are not being dumb, this is exactly what they want.  More print sales and little or none of ebook sales that is their game plan.  All of the big 5 in NYC hate ebooks, always have.  And are doing all they can to undermine the ebook ecosystem.

I think this is a bit of an oversimplification, but I admit that I've not got any data to support anything one way or the other.

I know this: I spend a lot more on reading material now than I used to when my only option was paper. And 99.99% of that spending is on electronic material. AND I'm reading a lot more overall.

With paper, one had to make a trip to the bookstore spend time looking around at what was on offer. And there was only so much space to store 'em, so you had to make your dollars go as far as possible. So paperbacks vs hardbacks, and being really careful about what you bought. If you got it home and realized it wasn't at all what you thought you were stuck with it in most cases.

Amazon helped some, with the ability to shop from your computer and have stuff delivered. And they had a return policy -- but still, kind of a pain to send a physical object back so one still took great care before clicking that buy button. And there was still the problem of storing the books!

When I saw the kindle first advertised I was ECSTATIC. Even though the price was a bit high, I would probably have bought it as soon as I saw it but even though that was the evening of the day it was announced, it was already sold out! :o :o CLEARLY Amazon touched a chord with the whole idea!!!

I read a lot more than I used to. Buy a lot of books -- there are a lot at really good prices if you look beyond the Big 5. Even there, if it was an author who I'd buy in hardback, I will pay the release price for the ebook. In a way, it has MORE value for me so if it's also less than the paper I'm good with that. If it's something I'd normally have waited for the paperback, I can still wait for the price to drop.

The other thing I'm doing much more now is borrowing from my local library! It's just so convenient! I have found, in the last year or two, that I've been reading a lot of 'big name' books as library borrows vs actually buying the book. Previously, bookstores were more convenient than any library branch, so I'd opt for buying vs borrowing. So, in a way, the big name publishers are getting LESS money now from me, even though I'm reading more -- because my spending is on cheaper ebooks both from them and indie or small publishers, and I'm doing a lot more library borrowing. :)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 04:33:15 PM by Ann in Arlington »

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline ancaiovita

• View Profile
    • Longevity Letter
No matter how much you may love to read print books, when you are a compulsive reader you'll just go to the greener side of digital books as soon as you get your first e-book reader. It's just great to carry hundreds of books with you at all times.

Geriatrics physician,book author and life extension blogger
Anca Ioviţă | Blog | Facebook | Pinterest | Goodreads | Twitter | Google+

Offline Kenton Crowther

• UK
    • View Profile
    • Crowther's Columns
As I live in rented accommodation I never know when I may have to move, so the Kindle has been a great asset in my life. Even so, there are some hardcoiver and paperback books I will never part with.  I have got rid of many books before a move, but there are those which, if I lost them, I would have to buy them again as "real" books. Wherever I go I take my four or five small bookcases, at least.

Offline Mark Darrah

• View Profile
The economics of buying Kindle books has changed so that you don't save as much buying ebooks as you used.  I enjoy reading indie authors whose work is sometimes only available as an ebook.  I buy used books if it's not available at Amazon or I can get a better price buying a slightly used paperback.

Mark Darrah

Offline rchapman1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
    • ritaleechapman.com
I much prefer paperbacks and often buy them at charity shops.  I don't collect them though, when I've read them I donate them back to the shop.  I occasionally buy a new book if it's something I would like to keep.
Rita Lee Chapman
[=Missing in Egypt=]
  Dangerous Associations

Offline harpwriter

• Minnesota
    • View Profile
    • The Blue Bells Trilogy
I buy only paper books.  I actually don't own a kindle, and even the few kindle books I own (which can be read on a kindle app on a PC), I rarely read, because I just don't like reading on a screen of any sort.

Offline LDB

• Texas
    • View Profile
I don't disagree however reading on a Kindle app on a PC vs. a Kindle Voyage/Oasis is similar to driving a 17 year old Taurus or a new Lexus.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Let's go NATS
    • View Profile
I buy only paper books.  I actually don't own a kindle, and even the few kindle books I own (which can be read on a kindle app on a PC), I rarely read, because I just don't like reading on a screen of any sort.

Fair enough . . . . but you should know that the 'screen' of an eInk kindle is more like a paper page than it is like the screen of a computer -- whether desktop, laptop, or tablet.  Seriously. Don't discount it until you try it. :D

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline LDB

• Texas
    • View Profile
^^^^ What she said is what I meant by the comparison. The screen/ink/page/display quality difference.

Offline LDB

• Texas
    • View Profile
For those who still like paper books check out 40 Acre Wood. It's a bookstore in Lexington, Texas. It's a very cool store with a great book lady that owns it. It's on Facebook as 40 Acre Wood. It's 147 miles from home and worth the drive for the excellent "book visiting" both with Heidi and the actual books.

I have no affiliation other than as a customer who enjoyed going there and will continue to go in the future.

Offline The Hologram Library

• View Profile
    • The Hologram Library
Yes, I still buy paperbacks, and hardbacks for that matter, mostly for reference books and the like. Even with Kindle's awesome search features and better T.O.C's it kind of hard to beat the ability to check the index in the back and then go to the page from there. Plus nothing quite beats new book smell.  ;D

Offline Norman Crane

• Canada
    • View Profile
    • Norman Crane's Website
I buy paper reference books but prefer hard- to softcovers. If I want another kind of book, fiction or non-fiction, on paper I get it from the library. Sometimes I look for used books online when I can't get them from the library. Generally, I prefer ebooks to paper books because they're more convenient to carry, more customizable to read and they take up much less space.

Norman Crane @ Website | Amazon | Facebook | Goodreads | Twitter

Offline Victoria.T76

• View Profile
I still buy paperbacks - new and in charity shops. I even still go to the library every week :)

I have a kindle, but only tend to read books on it in between picking up a physical book.

Offline V.P.

• View Profile
I used to love browsing through used bookstores. As ebooks grew in popularity, however, most of those in the area where I lived ended up closing. Glad to hear that they are making a comeback.

Offline Ryn Shell

• View Profile
Re: Do you still buy paper books? Used bookstores are making a comeback...
« Reply #64 on: August 17, 2016, 05:20:38 PM »
A book is a book, is a book, is a book. I will devour it in any form. I am a bookaholic.

Sixty years as a published author and fine artist, ignoring popular styles; creativity is timeless.
Ryn Shell | Ryn Shell, Artist-Author-Gray Nomad Travel Writer

Offline Melanie Underwood

• North Yorkshire
  • Editor & Proofreader
    • View Profile
    • Editorial Services
« Reply #65 on: August 20, 2016, 06:08:27 AM »
I still prefer the feel, and smell, of a 'real' book, and regularly use either my local second-hand bookstore, which has been there for years and has an incredible stock, or I'll visit my local library.  Both are really handy for bestsellers, I've just read The Kite Runner (purchased from the second-hand bookstore) and am now reading John Grisham - Rogue Lawyer (on loan from the library) that would otherwise be for sale at around 10, which is an extravagance for me.  When you can easily read a novel a day - I started Rogue Lawyer last night and am already two-thirds of the way through -it soon becomes expensive!

I find the constant page turning when using a Kindle mildly irritating, but agree that with larger heavier novels the Kindle can be much easier to handle, and it's great for travelling and reading outdoors when the weather is breezy - perfect for on the beach or by a pool, as I hope to rediscover before too long!

Offline MarkShark

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 21, 2016, 09:17:20 AM »
I'm quite happy to buy used books. Unfortunately, the selection where I live is pretty sparse for my areas of interest. I tend to buy ebooks more these days. One aspect of digital that I really like is the ability to easily search a book.

Offline Jill Nojack

• Sixth Circle
  • Introverts Unite (Separately)
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 21, 2016, 01:36:23 PM »
My fiction reading is almost all eInk now. I have both a Scribd and KU subscription at this point (which is costing me almost nothing for the both of them due to Scribd free months and buying the KU two year subscription on Prime day, which I can deduct on my taxes because I'm a writer). Between the two of them, I'm not reading the latest blockbusters (never did), but of the 70 or so fiction books I read per year, I've got an amazing range of choices that are always with me, even if I only remembered to take my phone instead of one of readers or my Fire tablet.

Non-fiction has to be paper, though. And since I can usually get the used hard cover on Amazon for the same price as a paperback for older books, I go for the hardcover.

Digital just doesn't work for me for either learning or reference. There are a number of ebooks I've purchased that I ended up also buying the paperback or hardcover (if available) for the same reason. I know that textbooks are now digital, and I can't imagine how young people manage to eke any learning out of their pages.

THE FAMILIAR and THE INNOCENT DEAD are Kindle Scout Winners |  Jillnojack.com

Offline spellscribe

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 31, 2016, 02:55:16 AM »
I squealed today when I saw a sign saying a book shop, assumedly second hand, is moving in on my daily walking route! Yay!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Author of the urban fantasy series, Talented
Amy R. Hopkins | Talented Series | Facebook | Twitter

Offline 5ngela

• Simple person with simple life
    • View Profile
    • The Journey Of Life
« Reply #69 on: November 10, 2016, 10:59:15 PM »
Yes I still buy paper books. I love the convenience of ebook but the smell and touch of paper book. So I love and still buy both of them

Offline Shanna Moncuse

• Author and lover of books, manga, and beagles!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 11, 2016, 04:59:34 PM »
I went to Half-Priced Books on Monday.

I love finding little gems, books or manga I've never heard of. Plus, I do turn in books that I didn't really enjoy, so that's a plus (not sure if all used-bookshops do this, but Half-Priced Books pays you for your old books).

Shanna Moncuse | Facebook | Goodreads | Twitter

Offline Jasperwocky

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 17, 2016, 12:57:57 PM »
Since my kindle was stolen (some poor Bogotano ladron probably thought he was getting a nice tablet, not sure how much he'll be able to sell a 4th gen basic kindle for) I've been reading paper books. I don't really like the e-reader apps on my phone/ipad.

I find used paperbacks have me reading far more widely. With e-readers there's always something in my preferred genre available. In the world of secondhand books you take a chance with what's there, which means I'm currently reading middlemarch and a history of the fur trade!

Offline cafecorner

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 24, 2016, 05:53:42 AM »
I still prefer paper books (when on offer)

Offline aliceblossom

• Seattle
  • Midnight reader extraordinnaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 05, 2016, 02:25:35 PM »
I do still buy paper backs if it's a book that I really enjoyed. There's something about having the physical version that makes it that much more personal. Also if I wanted to gift it to someone, I would have the option to do that too. If it's just a regular book, I would just order the ebook version most likely.
Always read something that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it.

P.J. ORourke

Offline JulianneQJohnson

• Indianapolis
    • View Profile
    • Julianne Q Johnson- pictures and words
« Reply #74 on: January 14, 2017, 01:19:26 PM »
I love my Kindle, but I still buy quite a few paper books.  Used bookstores and Library sales are an economical way to feed my book habit.  There are certainly a lot of free and cheap ebooks, but it can be difficult to wade through them to find the excellent ones.