Need Perfect Gift? Shop Amazon Gift Cards. Any Occasion.

Author Topic: Do you still buy paper books? Used bookstores are making a comeback...  (Read 9560 times)  

Offline Kal241

• Things are never what they seem
    • View Profile
Re: Do you still buy paper books? Used bookstores are making a comeback...
« Reply #75 on: January 14, 2017, 01:47:41 PM »
I exclusively buy paper books. No offense to Kindle users and e-readers, but I can't see the appeal. To me, there's no substitute for the feel of a hard copy in your hands.

An artist and a writer combined into one being. When you work with Kal, you get a 2-4-1 deal!  

Check out my artistry at: http://kal241.deviantart.com/
Writing samples of mine will be made available upon request.

Offline ellenoc

• Colorado
  • Mystery and romance
    • View Profile
    • Ellen O'Connell
« Reply #76 on: January 14, 2017, 02:18:19 PM »
I haven't purchased a paper book of fiction since I got my first Kindle in May of 2008. In that time I've probably bought fewer than half a dozen non-fiction books that weren't available in digital format. For fiction, if it's not available as an ebook or from the library, I do without. So I read a few fiction stories in paper from the library each year, but not many.

When I got that first Kindle, my house was inundated with books. My bookshelves overflowed. Pretty much any nook or corner, including places like under the bed had a book or two there. Since then I cleaned out all those old books. I have three bookshelves left. One is devoted to reference books and non-fiction and on the others I have some old favorites that I kept. For instance, I have all the Dick Francis mysteries, most in hard cover (the old man, not the son) and some other favorites. Generally I'm too cheap to buy ebooks of books I already have, but recently I've come to realize that if those older books ever become available reasonably, I'll replace the paper copies and get rid of them in a heartbeat.

I actually dislike reading paperbacks these days. I'm used to being able to set the font I like in the size I like, and paperback type is scrunchy. For that matter so are some hard covers. I do spend more on books now than I used to. I used to do a lot more rereading than I do now with so many new-to-me digital books always at my fingertips.

If I didn't have a Kindle and had to read ebooks on my phone or on a computer screen, my attitude would be different. I've used the Kindle app on the phone a couple of times, but it's inferior in every way. I gave away that first Kindle and my Paperwhite, but I still have a Kindle Keyboard, Voyage, and Oasis, so fear of theft, damage, or loss doesn't stop me from taking one of the older Kindles with me when I'm out and about. I'd rather carry the extra device than be stuck with the app on the phone.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 14, 2017, 02:43:19 PM »
I exclusively buy paper books. No offense to Kindle users and e-readers, but I can't see the appeal. To me, there's no substitute for the feel of a hard copy in your hands.

A hard copy does feel wonderful in your hands. Especially if it's a very well produced hard copy. They also look really nice on a shelf. :D

But for me, for reading, Kindle is vastly superior. ;)

I can make the print as big as I need and use the most comfortable typeface to read;
I can carry as many books as I want so as to have a choice of reading material, without adding to the weight of what I have to carry;
if I run across a word I don't know or need to translate a foreign phrase I can look it up instantly;
my arms and hands don't get fatigued holding a a book open.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline anguabell

• View Profile
    • Goodreads
« Reply #78 on: January 14, 2017, 02:46:49 PM »
I buy printed books if they are not available on Kindle. There are quite a few, actually. I have no interest in "bestsellers" and often read rather obscure authors that have been out of print for decades. And I still like to read paper books. It just feels different. Slower. Which sometimes is a good thing.

Also non-fiction, say what you will, is much easier to read in the paper format. I understand I can "search" the ebooks but I prefer to look at the index, search the illustrations, compare different chapters in my history books etc.
And - cookbooks. I have quite a few on Kindle, but those are read mostly for the entertainment value. I much prefer paper cookbooks to risking the well-being of my Kindle or iPad in our small kitchen.

Offline ASDeMatteis

• Las Vegas
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 30, 2017, 10:45:57 AM »
I almost always buy paper books (and 99% I buy hardcover). There's nothing wrong with ebooks, I just like the feeling of a book in hand.

Offline cagnes

• Louisiana
    • View Profile
    • Bayou Cover Designs
« Reply #80 on: January 30, 2017, 10:59:43 AM »
A hard copy does feel wonderful in your hands. Especially if it's a very well produced hard copy. They also look really nice on a shelf. :D

But for me, for reading, Kindle is vastly superior. ;)

I can make the print as big as I need and use the most comfortable typeface to read;
I can carry as many books as I want so as to have a choice of reading material, without adding to the weight of what I have to carry;
if I run across a word I don't know or need to translate a foreign phrase I can look it up instantly;
my arms and hands don't get fatigued holding a a book open.

I agree with every point, except the wonderful feel of a hard copy in your hands.  ;) I think my kindle feels better. The only thing I feel a printed book (for reading) has over an ebook is that it's easier to visualize the artwork of the cover. I do appreciate a good printed cover.

I haven't read, borrowed or purchased a print book for myself in years.

Christine | Member since 10/13/2009 | Goodreads | Bayou Cover Designs | Bayou Cover Designs on the KBoards Yellow Pages
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.  ― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons

Offline Mike D. aka jmiked

• Central Texas
  • Reading ebooks since 1994!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 05, 2017, 10:57:24 PM »
There seem to be a few people posting in this thread that say they don't buy Kindle/ebooks at all. I'm curious as to how they came to be on a forum dedicated to ebook reading. I'm not complaining, mind you. I'll welcome all readers here. I just find it curious.

Mike
What you see depends mainly on what you are looking for.

Offline Anma Natsu

• Texas
    • View Profile
    • Anma Natsu
« Reply #82 on: February 06, 2017, 05:59:53 AM »
There seem to be a few people posting in this thread that say they don't buy Kindle/ebooks at all. I'm curious as to how they came to be on a forum dedicated to ebook reading. I'm not complaining, mind you. I'll welcome all readers here. I just find it curious.

In my case, because I'm a writer and KBoards was regularly mentioned/recommended on a few podcasts I listened to and came up in Google regularly when I was Googling questions on publication :)

Offline alawston

• London
  • London-based writer and actor
    • View Profile
    • Andrew K Lawston's intermittent blogular adventures
« Reply #83 on: February 06, 2017, 06:28:16 AM »
I bought my first trad-pub Kindle ebook for the first time in about a year yesterday - I only bought it because my wife and I bought a single signed copy of the hardback, and we both want to read it at the same time ;) I go through a steady supply of indie kindle books throughout most of my daily travels. Except right now I'm reading something so filthy I don't feel I want to be seen reading it on public transport...

Meanwhile, Waterstone's is now back in profit, and bookshops are just looking a little more optimistic about the future in the UK. Even the Amnesty International secondhand bookshop relocated to larger premises last year. The future's bright for paper.

Broadly comic writer working across as many genres as he can. Acting done.
Andrew Lawston | Facebook | Twitter

Offline SB_ROOZ

• Author. Dog Tamer. Coffee Addict. Khaleesi :)
    • View Profile
    • The Official SB Roozenboom
« Reply #84 on: February 08, 2017, 01:09:38 PM »
I have ALWAYS been a huge fan of paperbacks and hardcovers. You just don't get the same experience with a Kindle ebook if you ask me (of course, as an author I have to like Kindle because they make the money). You can't smell the ink and paper with a Kindle, you don't have the thrill of turning the page to a new chapter heading... So I'm happy to hear that used book stores are making a comeback!
S.B. Roozenboom | Website

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 09, 2017, 03:56:54 AM »
I have ALWAYS been a huge fan of paperbacks and hardcovers. You just don't get the same experience with a Kindle ebook if you ask me (of course, as an author I have to like Kindle because they make the money). You can't smell the ink and paper with a Kindle, you don't have the thrill of turning the page to a new chapter heading... So I'm happy to hear that used book stores are making a comeback!

Yep . . . can't smell ink and paper -- so it doesn't make you sneeze. ::)

Though a well produced kindle book does have chapter headings on new pages . . . . the turning is just a different movement.

Basically, I agree that it's not the SAME experience, but I can't agree -- as you seem to imply -- that it's an inferior experience. :D

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline harpwriter

• Minnesota
    • View Profile
    • The Blue Bells Trilogy
« Reply #86 on: February 19, 2017, 07:02:03 AM »
Fair enough . . . . but you should know that the 'screen' of an eInk kindle is more like a paper page than it is like the screen of a computer -- whether desktop, laptop, or tablet.  Seriously. Don't discount it until you try it. :D

Fair point about the difference between a laptop screen and a Kindle.  I just had to replace my laptop and got a 2-in-1 which can be used as a tablet.  The ability to hold it that way may also make a difference.  I may be dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st Century yet! ;-)

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 19, 2017, 07:10:26 AM »
Fair point about the difference between a laptop screen and a Kindle.  I just had to replace my laptop and got a 2-in-1 which can be used as a tablet.  The ability to hold it that way may also make a difference.  I may be dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st Century yet! ;-)

I think that's absolutely true. I would pretty much never read for pleasure either on my desktop or laptop computer. But, if it was all I had available, I could do so on my tablet.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)

Offline barryem

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 19, 2017, 08:26:28 AM »
I'm always a bit dismayed at the answers in this sort of discussion.  Talking about the smell of paper books and the convenience of ebooks or the safety of paper books near the pool seems to be all about peripheral issues.  Reading a book is about getting the words from the author into our head.  The rest is real but does it really matter?

I read ebooks because I have a Kindle and I live in a rural area with no car.  I've been reading ebooks for so many years, so many decades really, that right now I'm a little bit intimidated by paper books.  I recently bought 2 paper books from Amazon, books that I enjoyed 50 or so years ago but that I haven't been able to find as ebooks.  They're sitting here staring at me and I'm terrified.  My hope is that I'll eventually get up the courage to open one and actually try it, but I'm not all that hopeful.

One is a hardback and even when I read paper books I rarely read hardbacks.  Unfortunately it's the one I'm most eager to read.  But they're both going to be a challenge.  They won't hurt me, will they?  Maybe they'll be gentle!

I wrote that like a joke and it is a joke but that doesn't take one little bit away from it's truth. :)

All my life I loved book stores.  I spent many hours browsing through them.  I nearly always left with a book if I had the money.  I think I probably started browsing in them at about age 8 or 9.  When I retired I spent two or three days a week in book stores, drinking coffee, reading a book.  My favorite was Borders because their coffee was better.  Houston has a LOT of book stores and I'd go to a different one every time and spend the day reading.  I read quite a few books.  I paid for the reading by buying coffee at their inflated prices.  It was great.

But now it's been at least 20 years since I've read a paper book.  I'm really not sure I can do it again.  My usual reading places don't have enough light so I'll have to work out solutions to that.

And yes I do realize that all of this belies my opening sentiment.  :)

Barry

Offline anguabell

• View Profile
    • Goodreads
« Reply #89 on: February 19, 2017, 03:59:16 PM »
I'm always a bit dismayed at the answers in this sort of discussion.  Talking about the smell of paper books and the convenience of ebooks or the safety of paper books near the pool seems to be all about peripheral issues.  Reading a book is about getting the words from the author into our head.  The rest is real but does it really matter?

Yes and no. It is a bit like food. Sometimes it doesn't matter how it is served, sometimes it enhances (or takes away from) the experience. For some people food might be only about the taste and nutritious substance. Some might look at it differently, depending on circumstances :)  I understand your reluctance to read paper books after a long break - my husband feels the same after only 3 years of Kindle - but why not? With the good light (reading outside is a great thing) it could be like reconnecting with an old friend. Perhaps awkward at first, but before you know it, you'll be talking as if you've parted yesterday.

Offline barryem

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 19, 2017, 05:30:56 PM »
I wish you hadn't used the food example.  Please use weaker arguments.  I hate being wrong. :)

I'm just about to finish my current book and I've been toying with the idea of starting one of the paper ones.  We'll see.  Actually there are reasons this might not be a good time to do that.  And maybe after my next book I'll be able to find another excuse. :)

Barry

Offline Raul Sanchez

• Spain
    • View Profile
    • Amazon link
« Reply #91 on: March 05, 2017, 08:39:30 AM »
Reading on paper still has something special, and I hope it will continue to have despite all the digital invasion around us. Personally, I still prefer to read newspapers on paper and not on the internet, as well as some special books. But unfortunately, I understand that over time less paper will be sold, which is good for nature on the other hand.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 05, 2017, 10:37:01 AM »
Reading on paper still has something special, and I hope it will continue to have despite all the digital invasion around us. Personally, I still prefer to read newspapers on paper and not on the internet, as well as some special books. But unfortunately, I understand that over time less paper will be sold, which is good for nature on the other hand.

I feel the opposite about newspapers. Hardly ever read 'em the before Kindle because it was just so much mess and trouble -- huge pages to wrestle into submission and you finish with inky fingers. Much more pleasurable to read through and find relevant articles with my kindle edition. :D

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)

Offline Raul Sanchez

• Spain
    • View Profile
    • Amazon link
« Reply #93 on: March 06, 2017, 01:11:08 AM »
Well, I was referring to newspapers of more manageable size, not that kind of English newspapers that look like bed sheets. Here, in Spain, they are usually more comfortable, smaller. But anyway, you are right, they are becoming obsolete and any kind of digital reader is winning the battle, unfortunately. But, at the other hand: the books or newspapers do not require batteries, nor updates, can not break down, they don't need internet connection - which is not always available - they have the smell and feel of the paper, do not require technological knowledge - even if not large, the ereader requires a minimum-, they do not have an initial high expense, and if you lose it the loss is not so great compared to e-readers. Anyway, I use both, and are complementary, or should be.

Offline Jake Parent

• View Profile
    • www.jakedparent.com
« Reply #94 on: March 06, 2017, 09:33:23 AM »
I read more and more eBooks, but there's still nothing quite like holding that paperback in my hands.

Jake Parent | Website | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 06, 2017, 03:10:46 PM »
I read more and more eBooks, but there's still nothing quite like holding that paperback in my hands.

Yep. Nothing like it. Makes my hands ache like crazy. ::)  So I prefer e- at this point. ;)

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)

Offline WriterSongwriter

• Teller of stories in long and short form
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 07, 2017, 11:11:28 PM »
I have gone back to reading paper books, because I mostly read when I'm away from home. I've lost several kindles. I'm often so busy that I tend to forget them and leave them behind. Same with books, but that doesn't matter that much.

Offline LDB

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 28, 2017, 02:15:01 PM »

One appealing quality is never flipping closed due to wind or gravity and losing one's place. I'm retired. I dine alone at breakfast and lunch. It takes two hands to read a print book which makes reading during meals more of a challenge. The Kindle lays on the table and as long as I keep one fingertip clean to touch the screen to turn the page I can read easily. It also fits in my pocket and weighs less than most books, especially if I take it out of the charging cover while reading (talking Oasis). And that's with over 200 books at hand. I'll never give up any of my printed books and I go back and read some of them over. I'll still even bring home printed books now and then. But the Kindle is exponentially more convenient.

Offline lmroth12

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 28, 2017, 05:45:00 PM »
I love my local used bookstore! I can find unique editions such as one of the original copies of The Buccaneers, the book Edith Wharton was writing when she died, as well as illustrated classics I remembered from childhood that I now read to a younger generation. But I also love to download a book on the spur of the moment to my kindle and set out on a new adventure!  :)

L. M. Roth | Facebook | Amazon | Goodreads

Offline Joe Vercillo

• View Profile
    • Joe Vercillo Fan Page
« Reply #99 on: March 29, 2017, 07:29:48 AM »
I prefer reading paperbacks, my favourite used book store is BMV in Toronto. They have a few locations, almost always have the books I'm after, and decent prices.

Joe Vercillo | Facebook | Instagram | Bandcamp