Author Topic: Camille's Cover Art (Update of Daringnovelist Covers)  (Read 1240 times)  

Offline daringnovelist

• Camille LaGuire
    • View Profile
    • Camille LaGuire
Camille's Cover Art (Update of Daringnovelist Covers)
« on: January 06, 2016, 09:40:54 AM »
This message is an update: (It's repeated down below as a "new" message)

I've been away from creative work for nearly two years now, busy being a fulltime caregiver for an aging relative with cognitive issues.  This has left me unable to do pretty much anything in terms of writing or focussed artwork.  So I am not currently available for custom covers (though I might be available to do typography on finished covers sometimes.)

But I've needed to do something, so I've been playing with premades again.  I'm doing them only for Self-Pub Book Covers, since they are an "upload it and forget it" sort of place.  (SPBC is a moderately priced pre-made cover site that is peculiar in that it has the authors do the typesetting with their automated tools -- or the author can download the art and set the type at home with their own software).

Because of that "automated" method, the site has all sorts of odd rules -- very limited fonts and options, very limited font colors for the sample text. Also a very specific size which is wider than most people use with book covers. Depending on the design, some can be cropped. (If anyone on KB buys a cover, I'd be willing to set type and make minor changes, like cropping for $15.   Message me here.)

My available covers can be seen at DaringNovelist at SPBC.)

Here are a few of the recent images:

Camille
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 08:20:33 PM by daringnovelist »

Offline Jessie G. Talbot

• Raleigh, NC
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: Daringnovelist covers at Self-Pub Book Covers
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 10:09:00 AM »
<i>They are peculiar in that they sell the art without typography: the authors "customize" (i.e. set the type) themselves, either with tools on the SPBC site, or just with their own software and fonts at home.</i>

That's EXACTLY what I've been looking for. And your covers are great. Good luck!

Jessie G. Talbot | Website | Twitter | Newsletter

Offline daringnovelist

• Camille LaGuire
    • View Profile
    • Camille LaGuire
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 01:49:13 PM »
<i>They are peculiar in that they sell the art without typography: the authors "customize" (i.e. set the type) themselves, either with tools on the SPBC site, or just with their own software and fonts at home.</i>

That's EXACTLY what I've been looking for. And your covers are great. Good luck!

Thanks, Jesse.

There is something to be said for doing your own typography -- but I suggest using your own software (Photoshop Elements is cheap) and fonts, say, from 1001fonts.com, so that you have a better selection.

Camille

Offline daringnovelist

• Camille LaGuire
    • View Profile
    • Camille LaGuire
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 03:15:45 PM »
Here are the new covers I put up this week at Self-Pub Book Covers.  There are 12 of them. (Check them out at DaringNovelist at SPBC.)

As I mentioned earlier, Self-Pub Book Covers has the author do the typography with not very good online tools. I try to design so that the image looks well with very plain typography.  However, I recommend that you either set the type yourself (with fonts and colors of your choosing, rather than the limited choice online, or.....

For the month of January, I am running a KindleBoards Typography Special!

If you buy one of my covers from Self-Pub Book Covers, I will do the typography on the image for free!

All you have to do is buy a cover, "customize" it on the site with your author name and title (that's your proof of purchase -- I can see it from my dashboard) and then message me here on KB with what you really want on the cover.

Camille
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 02:16:04 PM by daringnovelist »

Offline daringnovelist

• Camille LaGuire
    • View Profile
    • Camille LaGuire
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2016, 02:24:35 PM »
Here are some new covers I put up this week at Self-Pub Book Covers.  This is just a sampling, as it's been longer than a week and I have quite a few new covers. (Check them out at DaringNovelist at SPBC.)

As I mentioned earlier, Self-Pub Book Covers has the author do the typography with not very good online tools. I try to design so that the image looks well with very plain typography.  However, I recommend that you either set the type yourself (with fonts and colors of your choosing, rather than the limited choice online, or.....

For the month of January, I am running a KindleBoards Typography Special!

If you buy one of my covers from Self-Pub Book Covers, I will do the typography on the image for free!

All you have to do is buy a cover, "customize" it on the site with your author name and title (that's your proof of purchase -- I can see it from my dashboard) and then message me here on KB with what you really want on the cover.

Camille

Online Annie B

• View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2016, 05:56:43 PM »
Why are they so wide?

Offline daringnovelist

• Camille LaGuire
    • View Profile
    • Camille LaGuire
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2016, 07:20:40 PM »
Why are they so wide?

It's a requirement of the site.  We try to design them so they can be cropped on either side, although with some designs it's better to just go with the format they insist on. (If there is a cover you like, I would be willing to adjust the format for KB members who buy one of the covers on their site.)

There are a lot of limitations with SPBC, but it does seem to suit an awful lot of authors.  I suspect, though, that if those authors are here, they tend to be lurkers.

This is yet another reason that, once I get a portfolio of about 100 covers up there, I will turn to doing my own premades.  Better typography, better options for customization.

My usual format will likely be 1800x2700 (6x9 at 300 dpi) plus a quarter inch buffer on the print version.

Camille

Online Annie B

• View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2016, 06:09:53 AM »
Ah. They just don't look like anything I've seen but maybe I don't read whatever genre these would be for. It's a pity the site is so limiting in terms of choices for size and font. I wonder why? I can't imagine it helps business when people these days have so many options for very professional premades.

Offline daringnovelist

• Camille LaGuire
    • View Profile
    • Camille LaGuire
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2016, 08:16:45 AM »
Honestly, I don't know. They do seem to do pretty good business in the standard genres. (The big selling artists seem to be romance and paranormal, off hand.)  I suspect you're partly put off by my style, which is very retro, and mainly for thriller, mainstream (which they call "literary" ugh!) and nonfic.

But don't ask me what's on their minds in terms of their choices.  I know they want it to be automated and 'no fuss.'  I assume, since it's do-it-yourself typography for the author, that their repeat customers are perfectly capable of just taking the image and setting the type at home.

I can't really complain about them, as I've sold covers through them.  My covers are unusual, and so I need to get them in front of the eyes of a wider variety of authors -- and they help there. (they are big promoters)  I figure leave covers for a year, then rotate them out, and refurb to my own design specs.

Camille

Online Annie B

• View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2016, 08:43:40 AM »
I've never seen covers like yours on any thriller I've read, so yeah, it might be the style you have. But the width is off-putting too, though it sounds like that is because of the site.

Offline daringnovelist

• Camille LaGuire
    • View Profile
    • Camille LaGuire
Re: Camille's Cover Art (Update of Daringnovelist Covers)
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2016, 09:34:33 AM »
So here it is at last, I finally launch my own cover business, where I can create premade designs to my own specs and do the typography. 

Camille's Cover Art

The template is still standard and the dustcovers are not off the sidebar, but I have a couple of covers up.  I do plan to add full print cover designs to all of these in the next few days.  Eventually I will also add some "ultra economy templates" as well as more premium unique templates (i.e. sold to one user to use many times, not used over and over again by many different users).

As you see here, I am playing with some branding and series designs in my regular premades as well.

(Note: I tend to make up titles and authors for my premades, because I think it gives an idea of what the cover can do better than "Title Goes Here" and "Author Name.")

My prices for the moment are $100 for a premade design (plus typography and some minor image customization). $150 for a premade full cover, if the back cover text suits the design. ($175-200 if the back cover needs to be redone.)

Camille

Offline daringnovelist

• Camille LaGuire
    • View Profile
    • Camille LaGuire
Re: Camille's Cover Art (Update of Daringnovelist Covers)
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2017, 08:20:58 PM »
This message is an update: (It's repeated down below as a "new" message)

I've been away from creative work for nearly two years now, busy being a fulltime caregiver for an aging relative with cognitive issues.  This has left me unable to do pretty much anything in terms of writing or focussed artwork.  So I am not currently available for custom covers (though I might be available to do typography on finished covers sometimes.)

But I've needed to do something, so I've been playing with premades again.  I'm doing them only for Self-Pub Book Covers, since they are an "upload it and forget it" sort of place.  (SPBC is a moderately priced pre-made cover site that is peculiar in that it has the authors do the typesetting with their automated tools -- or the author can download the art and set the type at home with their own software).

Because of that "automated" method, the site has all sorts of odd rules -- very limited fonts and options, very limited font colors for the sample text. Also a very specific size which is wider than most people use with book covers. Depending on the design, some can be cropped. (If anyone on KB buys a cover, I'd be willing to set type and make minor changes, like cropping for $15.   Message me here.)

My available covers can be seen at DaringNovelist at SPBC.)

Here are a few of the recent images:

Camille