Author Topic: Anyone a Science Fiction Romance fan?  (Read 1952 times)  

Offline kdiem

• View Profile
Re: Anyone a Science Fiction Romance fan?
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2017, 11:38:26 AM »
There's a 99 cents Sci Fi Romance sale this week... http://author.carolvannatta.com/solstice-sfr-99-cent-sale/

It includes the new Ruby Lionsdrake series, Star Guardians. I like her stuff.

Author. Bibliophile. Fangirl.
Karen Diem | website | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Goodreads

Offline worktolive

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2017, 07:25:46 PM »
Here's an SF Romance trilogy that has a pre-release price of $0.99 from Crimson Romance:

I haven't heard of the author, but for that price it might be worth a try.

Offline C. Gold

• View Profile
    • Golden Elm Publishing
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2017, 03:06:45 PM »
On a lark I picked up one of those alien abduction sci-fi romance books with the typical beefcake cover and wound up finding a really interesting world consisting of three races who were cursed by a goddess in different ways. One lost their food, one lost their ability to birth females, and the other went crazy. There's this whole political and survival thing going on in the background when a slaver race finds Earth. The discovery that Earth women are compatible starts an explosion of events that could either destroy all these civilizations or ultimately save them.

The books are by M.K. Eidem. I think a couple had bad formatting issues but the rest read fine. There is a series for each of the non-crazy races - The Tornians and the Kaliszians. She also has a third series which is about a few human survivors from a destroyed Earth.

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2017, 04:01:08 PM »
On a lark I picked up one of those alien abduction sci-fi romance books with the typical beefcake cover and wound up finding a really interesting world consisting of three races who were cursed by a goddess in different ways. One lost their food, one lost their ability to birth females, and the other went crazy. There's this whole political and survival thing going on in the background when a slaver race finds Earth. The discovery that Earth women are compatible starts an explosion of events that could either destroy all these civilizations or ultimately save them.

The books are by M.K. Eidem. I think a couple had bad formatting issues but the rest read fine. There is a series for each of the non-crazy races - The Tornians and the Kaliszians. She also has a third series which is about a few human survivors from a destroyed Earth.

They do look interesting, but I am really concerned about the many mentions of editing issues. That is one strike already and then I see that some had issues with the present tense, which is not something I like reading. That is 2 strikes for me. I just don't think I want to deal with obvious editing issues anymore at this point. As much as I hate present tense, I'd overcome that over editing stuff. Baffling to me that someone would put stuff out like that. Those reviews come from folks I trust on goodreads and those I don't know. Just too many mention it. Sigh. Not like its hard enough as it is to find decent SFR.

Member since 11/20/2008 | Atunah's Romance Haus | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2017, 07:24:19 PM »
This is free now

Some reviewers call it more space opera than SFR. Diener is suppose to be a good one though.

Member since 11/20/2008 | Atunah's Romance Haus | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Offline A.Q.

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2017, 09:19:18 PM »
I can't say I'm a fan of romance stories - by that, I mean, the main purpose of the narrative is purely about romance - but I am a fan of romance acting as a dedicated sub-plot in stories.
Genre doesn't matter for me: crime, mystery, sci-fi... If your aim is to imbue your story with a sense of drama, romance is often a critical component in doing so (but not always necessary, and I tip my head off to any author who can create a compelling dramatic story without using a romance trope)

The Commonwealth Crisis: A Time to Kill: 20%
Bradley Hutchinson | Facebook

The Commonwealth Crisis: Prologue

Offline Galaxy Dog

• Venice (Italy)
  • Brett Fitzpatrick
    • View Profile
    • BrettFitzpatrick.com
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2017, 11:00:32 AM »
I had no idea Sci-Fi Romance existed. I would not be averse to it. My sci-fi tastes are more at the hard end of the scale with Alastair Reynolds and Arthur C. Clarke. I don't think I'd enjoy anything where people were being cursed by a goddess. Is there sci-fi romance at this end of the spectrum?

Brett Fitzpatrick | Website

Offline Don DeBon

• View Profile
    • Don's Writing Corner
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2017, 11:26:23 PM »
It is hard to find good novels in this sub genre, and many of the ones suggested here I have not read.  But they are now on my TBR pile. :)

It is far more common to have more action/adventure than outright romance where the core of the plot is not about the two characters getting together.

Don DeBon | Website | Twitter | Google+

Online C. Gockel

• Chicago, IL
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2017, 07:22:49 PM »
I love Shards of Honor by Lois McMaster Bujold:
https://www.amazon.com/Shards-Honor-Vorkosigan-McMaster-Bujold/dp/1476781109/

And Barrayar: https://www.amazon.com/Barrayar-Vorkosigan-Saga-McMaster-Bujold/dp/1476781117/ (This one isn't as romantic as the first.) There is no on scene sex, so if that's your thing, you might not be interested.

I will third Michelle Diener's Dark Horse: https://www.amazon.com/Dark-Horse-Class-Michelle-Diener-ebook/dp/B00Z9R1W9W/
It has a believable romance, but the story really centers around the girl and her friendship with an AI.

I write books about Change, Chaos, and Loki
C. Gockel | facebook | tumblr | website

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac