KB Featured Book
Wish Granted! Tips, Tools, and Templates to Write a Winning Grant
by Holly Rustick

$1.99
Kindle Edition published 2017-08-22
Bestseller ranking: 95983

Product Description
INCLUDES BONUS FREE E-DOWNLOADS: TEMPLATES FOR GRANT WRITING!

Grant writing shouldn’t feel like a trip to the dentist. Take the pain out of the process with this innovative and fun, yes fun, guide. Learn all the inside tips and tools of the grant-writing trade in this easy-to-read and upbeat book.
This book is definitely for you if:
•You break out in a cold sweat when your boss mentions the word ‘grant’.
•You’ve been tempted to throw your computer against the wall while writing a grant.
•You happily tell stakeholders there’s plenty of grants out there … but haven’t the faintest idea how to write and get one!
•You think you can send out a bog-standard letter to a bunch of organizations and get funded.
•Your eyes glaze over when you’re presented with grant writing jargon and acronyms.
•Your organization’s grant success A-game has r...

Author Topic: New KENPC payout cap  (Read 34080 times)  

Offline David VanDyke

• View Profile
New KENPC payout cap
« on: February 01, 2016, 11:13:59 AM »
Noticed this on a box set I published:

The maximum number of KENP Read that an individual borrow can earn is 3000.

It's right after the KENPC count. So, box-setters, looks like it won't be as profitable to publish above 3000 KENPC.

Futuristic Thrillers, Mysteries and Science Fiction
David VanDyke | Blog | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Contact

Online Jim Johnson

• Alexandria, VA
  • Storyteller and Cat Minion
    • View Profile
    • Ineti Press
Re: New KENPC payout cap
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 11:25:39 AM »
Noticed this on a box set I published:

The maximum number of KENP Read that an individual borrow can earn is 3000.

It's right after the KENPC count. So, box-setters, looks like it won't be as profitable to publish above 3000 KENPC.

Wait, that's not clear. Are they saying that any one product can't have a KENP higher than 3000, or that any one product can't earn more than 3000 page reads? I'm guessing the former as the latter would melt the internet from the cries of foul play.

EDIT: Was looking at the Royalties in Kindle Unlimited and Kindle Owners' Lending Library:

KENPC v2.0 also introduces a change  to how we handle extremely long books like dictionaries and long reference  books. Under KENPC v2.0, authors will be able to earn a maximum of 3,000 Kindle  Edition Normalized Pages (KENPs) read per title per customer. While this change  impacts a fraction of a percent of KDP Select books, we believe it will result  in a more equitable distribution of the KDP Select Global Fund. Each time your  book is borrowed and read, you will receive credit for up to 3,000 pages.

So I guess it's been there all along. Really long books cap out at KENP 3,000.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 11:32:03 AM by Jim Johnson »

Offline Saul Tanpepper

• Morgan Hill, CA
  • 6 Gamers : 10,000 Undead
    • View Profile
    • tanpepperwrites
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 11:28:32 AM »
Wait, that's not clear. Are they saying that any one product can't have a KENP higher than 3000, or that any one product can't earn more than 3000 page reads? I'm guessing the former as the latter would melt the internet from the cries of foul play.

The latter. There's a 3000 KENPC cap that any title can earn from any single borrower.

I suspect a whole bunch of people are now scrambling to check their KENPC. Based on my estimates, 3000 KENPC may be as few as 350,000 words.
Spec-Fic for All Ages    *  AMAZON  *  GooglePlay  *  iTunes  *  Kobo  *  B&N  *  Smashwords  *  Facebook  *  Website  *  Tweets  * 

FREE>

Online Jim Johnson

• Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Ineti Press
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 11:33:29 AM »
The latter. There's a 3000 KENPC cap that any title can earn from any single borrower.

I suspect a whole bunch of people are now scrambling to check their KENPC. Based on my estimates, 3000 KENPC may be as few as 350,000 words.

I misunderstood it. I read it as 'any one title can't earn more than 3000 pages read'. Meaning that once a title picks up 3000 pages read in a month, it can't earn more. Which would be looney tunes and would really make a lot of authors unhappy. So, my bad for misreading a poorly worded statement from the 'zon. :)

Offline The Oblong One

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 11:42:07 AM »
Did anyone else have their KENPC page counts drop by 20% or more on every book in their account? Mine are all down by that much. One that was 735 is now 579. No changes to the book at all.

Online Lydniz

• UK
    • View Profile
    • Credentials
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 11:53:04 AM »
Yes, mine have dropped too, by quite a bit.

Online Rick Gualtieri

• NJ
  • Renaissance Geek
    • View Profile
    • RickGualtieri.com
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2016, 11:58:23 AM »
Not seeing much change in mine.  I see the 2.0 notice, but no idea if this is a rolling change or not.  Definitely will be checking my dashboard religiously over the next several days.

Making fantasy fun again, one corpse at a time
Rick Gualtieri | Website | Twitter | Facebook | Bill The Vampire on Facebook | YouTube

Offline David VanDyke

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2016, 12:01:19 PM »
Looks like mine did go down 10-20%. I suspect they did some algorithm tweaking. If I were the Zon, I'd make sure formatting differences didn't inflate or deflate page count. For example, a book formatted with a half-line between paragraphs shouldn't magically have more KENPC. I'm sure there were formatting tricks that increased KENPC; I remember seeing them discussed somewhere, though not here.

Not saying anyone actually did anything like that; just that the Zon may have decided to change the way they calculate, and naturally some will drop, some won't (or not as much).
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 12:11:02 PM by David VanDyke »

Online Nicholas Erik

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2016, 12:04:07 PM »
My page counts went up for the time being. I have no idea how Amazon's calculations changed, but I guess it can help, too.

My books have very basic formatting, for the record, and are produced with InDesign.

Nick

Offline Saul Tanpepper

• Morgan Hill, CA
  • 6 Gamers : 10,000 Undead
    • View Profile
    • tanpepperwrites
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2016, 12:04:35 PM »
Just checked the first ten Select books in my dashboard. These are titles ranging from as little as 35 KENPC to as large as 550. Without having made any changes to any of the files, every single one has dropped from 10.5% to 25%.

#amnothappy
Spec-Fic for All Ages    *  AMAZON  *  GooglePlay  *  iTunes  *  Kobo  *  B&N  *  Smashwords  *  Facebook  *  Website  *  Tweets  * 

FREE>

Offline David VanDyke

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2016, 12:06:29 PM »
This just hit my inbox (I guess it was pure luck I checked the KENPC and found this out before the email):

Hello,

Today we announced KENPC v2.0. This release makes a number of improvements to how we standardize font, line height, and spacing used to normalize the length of each book relative to one another and handles an edge case around extremely long books like dictionaries and long reference books.

Under KENPC v2.0 authors will be able to earn a maximum of 3,000 Kindle Edition Normalized Pages read per title per customer. We believe this change will result in a more equitable distribution of the KDP Select Global Fund. While this change will impact a fraction of a percent of KDP Select books, you are being notified because you have at least one book enrolled in KDP Select with a KENPC v2.0 over 3,000.

You can find more information about KENPC v2.0 here https://kdp.amazon.com/help?topicId=AI3QMVN4FMTXJ.

Best Regards,
The Kindle Direct Publishing Team

Offline Jeanne Lynn

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2016, 12:18:18 PM »
Where do look in the dashboard to see your KENPC? We got the email. My son writes very long war novels. One of his novels is 2100 pages and 1.5 million words. I'm guess this is going to hurt.

Online Rick Gualtieri

• NJ
  • Renaissance Geek
    • View Profile
    • RickGualtieri.com
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2016, 12:21:04 PM »
Where do look in the dashboard to see your KENPC? We got the email. My son writes very long war novels. One of his novels is 2100 pages and 1.5 million words. I'm guess this is going to hurt.

At that size, it's almost definitely affected.  From your KDP dashboard click on "Promote and Advertise" for the book in question.  KENPC count should be near the bottom of the resulting page.

Making fantasy fun again, one corpse at a time
Rick Gualtieri | Website | Twitter | Facebook | Bill The Vampire on Facebook | YouTube

Offline TessOliver

• View Profile
    • Tessoliver.com
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2016, 12:32:19 PM »
Yep, looks like they changed the formula. There's been a significant drop in KENPC. Not cool.

Online Crystal_

• Portland, OR
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2016, 12:41:04 PM »
This 3000 limit is such bad timing for me!  Trying to organize a ten novel bundle. We'll probably lose half our pages.

In theory, the new KENPC calculations don't matter much IF everyone is down. We're paid out of a pool. But these seems like a rather transparent attempt to get the page rate up without actually paying us more for our work.

Online Amanda M. Lee

• Listen to me, you will.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2016, 12:41:45 PM »
I had all my KENPC handy because I just switched to Vellum and wanted to compare KENPC (was using Word before). My new KENPC with Vellum are still the same. From what I can tell, those using Calibre and Jutoh are the ones seeing differences. Can anyone confirm or deny that?

Amanda M. Lee

Online Jen Rasmussen

• View Profile
    • jenrasmussen.com
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2016, 12:43:24 PM »
I had all my KENPC handy because I just switched to Vellum and wanted to compare KENPC (was using Word before). My new KENPC with Vellum are still the same. From what I can tell, those using Calibre and Jutoh are the ones seeing differences. Can anyone confirm or deny that?

I can't speak to Calibre or Jutoh but saw drops of about 12% on all five of my books, using Word. (Edit: and my counts were already low compared to some Vellum-using friends with similar-length books, so I'm annoyed as all get-out.)

Jen Rasmussen | Website

Online Amanda M. Lee

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2016, 12:48:17 PM »
I can't speak to Calibre or Jutoh but saw drops of about 12% on all five of my books, using Word. (Edit: and my counts were already low compared to some Vellum-using friends with similar-length books, so I'm annoyed as all get-out.)
Over 74 titles I saw only a net gain of 36 pages when I switched from Word to Vellum. It's all very interesting.

Amanda M. Lee

Online Jim Johnson

• Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Ineti Press
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2016, 12:53:12 PM »
I formatted my books in Scrivener and it looks like they got the modest KENP hit. I'm not worried about the rejiggering--I just want to figure out how to get more KU readers. :)

Offline Quiss

• Canada
  • spits infinitives
    • View Profile
    • Chris Reher Author page
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2016, 01:00:14 PM »
I took a 20% hit on my books, which are short and single spaced. So what the hell is going on?

At the CURRENT payout per page, a borrow is roughly the same as a sale, or slightly less.  At this 20% ripoff I'm out of KU.  I'm SO DONE with this crap.

NEW:

author website | facebook

Offline Denise Templey

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2016, 01:07:39 PM »
I use Calibre.
My drop is between 18% - 23%  >:(
What is interesting is that my box set has the lowest drop (18% ).

Happy reading:)

Online Jen Rasmussen

• View Profile
    • jenrasmussen.com
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2016, 01:08:29 PM »
Over 74 titles I saw only a net gain of 36 pages when I switched from Word to Vellum. It's all very interesting.

Mine were always a bit low compared to some others I've talked to. My longest book is 84k, had a KENPC of 442, now down to 392. I haven't been all that fussed about comparing but now I'm aggravated if the gap has only gotten wider, with some people's counts staying the same.

Jen Rasmussen | Website

Offline David VanDyke

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2016, 01:10:33 PM »

Split the book into two or three...

Online Tilly

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2016, 01:11:03 PM »
Did anyone else have their KENPC page counts drop by 20% or more on every book in their account?

I've lost 25% off every KENPC  :(

I use Jutoh to format my e-books

Online Amanda M. Lee

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2016, 01:12:12 PM »
Mine were always a bit low compared to some others I've talked to. My longest book is 84k, had a KENPC of 442, now down to 392. I haven't been all that fussed about comparing but now I'm aggravated if the gap has only gotten wider, with some people's counts staying the same.
My 93K book has a 490 KENPC (for comparison's sake) with Vellum.

Amanda M. Lee