KB Featured Book
Stone and Silt
by Harvey Chute

$2.99
Kindle Edition published 2013-08-14
Bestseller ranking: 713665

Product Description
Big Al's Books & Pals 2014 Readers' Choice Awards: Young Adult Nominee

A ruthless murder and a stolen shipment of gold.

At school, sixteen-year-old Nikaia Wales endures the taunts of bullies who call her a “half-breed.” At home, she worries about how her family will react if she reveals her growing feelings for the quiet boy next door.

Those are soon the least of her troubles. Nikaia discovers a hidden cache of gold, and when police find a corpse nearby, her father becomes a suspect. Worse, Elias Doyle is circling, hungry to avenge his brother’s death.

Nikaia desperately searches for clues to save her father. In her quest to find the killer, she learns about the power of family, friendship, and young love....

Author Topic: Cozy Mysteries  (Read 12361 times)  

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
Cozy Mysteries
« on: February 06, 2016, 06:57:07 AM »
I searched and didn't find any Cozy threads that were recent, I hope it's ok to start a new one :)

I LOVE Janet Cantrell's Fat Cat books. The 3rd comes out in a couple of months and may be the last, I hope it isn't the last because I love Quincy! I actually preordered the book, I rarely preorder.

I enjoyed Mary Marks Quilting Mystery series. I've read the first 3. and will definitely read the rest. The characters are fun. The mystery to be solved is a little heavy for a cozy but the characters make up for it. If you like audiobooks, this series is also very fun to listen to.

I enjoyed the first Magical Bakery book by Bailey Cates, and plan to read the rest.
And of course Amelia Peabody series by Elizabeth Peters.

I'm looking forward to starting Joanne Fluke soon, just have a few more books to get first. And some others I'm looking forward to reading..

The Cat in the Stacks series by Miranda James.
Joe Grey mysteries by Shirley Rousseau Murphy
and tons more I have around 200 Cozy books on a wishlist... and several already on my Fire waiting to be read.

so..

What are some of your favorite Cozy series? (standalones are welcome too!)

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
  • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Cozy Mysteries
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 08:26:14 AM »
Yay, Michelle!  How many times have I said I was going to start a cozy mystery thread and never got around to it?

I have also read and enjoyed the Mary Marks quilting mysteries (new one due soon!).  I wasn't wild about the first one, but my mother wanted to continue the series and I'm glad I did.  Another series I enjoyed recently is the Avery Aames Cheese Shop starting with:

Aames is a prolific cozy writer whose series are hit and miss with me, but I really like this one.  Unfortunately, prices have increased significantly since I first purchased them in 2010.

I have lots and lots of books to add to this thread as we go along.  Thank you for starting it!  Do you really think Elizabeth Peters' Amelia Peabody mysteries are cozies?  I guess they follow the amateur sleuth, not gory, little bit of romance; maybe it's the historical aspect that has always made me consider them "traditional" mysteries.

Edited to correct: Ellery Adams, NOT Avery Aames, is the prolific author who is hit and miss for me.  I think the Cheese Shop mysteries are Aames first and only series to date (last one, "For Cheddar or Worse", was just released last Tuesday and it is next up in my TBR list).

« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 03:25:29 PM by crebel »
A book, I think, is very like a little golden door.
That takes me into places where I've never been before.
It leads me into fairyland or countries strange and far.
And, best of all, the golden door always stands ajar. - Adelaide Love

Offline TriciaJ82

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 09:52:17 AM »
Aames is a prolific cozy writer whose series are hit and miss with me, but I really like this one.  Unfortunately, prices have increased significantly since I first purchased them in 2010.

Michelle thanks for the thread! Crebel how can you not love a book with Gouda in the title? Its my favorite cheese;) Here are some of my recommendations:

Crewel World by Monica Ferris
This is a craft based mystery series and at the end there is a pattern based on the featured craft in the story.

This is a recommendation by my sister. I gifted her the first one and then she ended up purchasing the rest. I haven't read them but they are lendable and I will be borrowing them from her:) The first one is only .99

I really liked this one, the second in the series just came out. The ending is how to make a snow globe. Its a good start for a series.

I have read a couple of the books in the series. They are all based on holidays. They feature two sisters that own a bakery.

Offline Sara Rosett

• Mystery and intrigue with humor on the side...
    • View Profile
    • SaraRosett.com
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 11:01:45 AM »
Do you really think Elizabeth Peters' Amelia Peabody mysteries are cozies?  I guess they follow the amateur sleuth, not gory, little bit of romance; maybe it's the historical aspect that has always made me consider them "traditional" mysteries.

Interesting question! I think the definition of cozy mystery has gotten very narrow lately. I love Elizabeth Peters. I think when her books first came out they were considered romantic suspense/mystery.

I enjoyed a cozy by a fellow Kboarder, A Scone to Die For by H.Y. Hanna.

Writing mysteries and teaching How to Outline a Cozy Mystery online course
Sara Rosett | Webpage | Twitter | Pinterest | All Things Bookish | Facebook |

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2016, 03:03:14 PM »
Here is a series I started with a KOLL borrow (the 3 are also in KU), but bought the next two rather than wait a month at a time to read.

The books switch POV between sisters each chapter, but are not confusing at all.  Lots of funny comments and well-thought out mysteries.  Being the middle of 3 sisters myself where two of us are really good friends and we love the third, but she tries our patience, I could absolutely tell you which sister is which!  I hope this series isn't done with 3 books, I want more. 

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2016, 05:16:30 PM »
Elizabeth Peters is probably not officially cozy but I always think of it as cozy because it has humor, romance and an amateur sleuth.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2016, 06:06:17 PM »
Elizabeth Peters is probably not officially cozy but I always think of it as cozy because it has humor, romance and an amateur sleuth.

Yeah . . . I'd say she's cozy-ish . . . .

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2016, 08:03:59 PM »
Yeah . . . I'd say she's cozy-ish . . . .

Maybe that will be added as a genre category... "cozy-ish"  ;)

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2016, 06:19:04 AM »
I think I have the cheese shop and snow globe book on my wishlist.. or maybe already in my to read list.

Here are some other series I have on my list to read..

Wine Country Mystery by Ellen Crosby    The first 3 in this series are on sale for $1.99
League of Literary Ladies by Kylie Logan
Tourist Trap by Lynn Calhoun
Blossom Valley by Staci McLaughlin
Vintage Mystery by Rose Pressey
Webb's Glass Shop by Cheryl Hollon
Liss MacCrimmon by Kaitlyn Dunnett
Teapot Collector by Amanda Cooper
Bookmobile Cat by Laurie Cass
Paws and Claws by Krista Davis
Black Cat Bookshop by Ali Brandon
Bear Collectors by John J Lamb
Coffehouse by Cleo Coyle
Chocoholic by Joanna Carl
Candy Coated by Nancy Coco

I also have some Juliet Blackwell and Heather Blake on the long list lol.

I really love the ones with cats and food/recipes.. or magic and paranormal but if it sounds interesting enough I'll read most anything.

Offline TriciaJ82

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2016, 09:33:28 AM »
Candy Coated by Nancy Coco

She has two other series under the pseudonym Nancy Parra. The first in the series is Gluten for Punishment

The main character owns a gluten free bakery, recipes included. I have this in my tbr list, it is close to my heart because I have celiac disease. I think there are 3 or 4 in this series so far.

The other series is based on an event planner, there are 3 so far.

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2016, 12:27:45 PM »
I added those to the never ending wishlist. I had to start a new one for 1st in series cozy books.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2016, 05:13:34 PM »
Today I finished:

and found interesting information in the author's notes at the end.  First, "Cheddar" was the last book in the Cheese Shop series :(  I do wish we were going to learn more about some of the folks/couples in the series, but it's also understandable to me that a sleepy small town is not likely to have murder after murder where the owner of a local cheese shop is always present...

The second interesting piece of information is that Avery Aames is also Daryl Wood Gerber of the Cookbook Nook Mysteries.  I already have the first one, Final Sentence, on my Kindle and will move it up the TBR list.

I'm also a big fan of cozies that have a book-related theme.  I am mostly caught up on the Kate Carlisle Bibliophile series (now 10 books long) starring book restorer Brooklyn Wainwright that starts with:

I am waiting for Book 9 to come down to something below what I consider a "hardback" price, presumably when book 10 (available for pre-order) comes out in June.

Book #9       Book #10

Anyone have other book-related cozies to recommend?  I have these two new-to-me series starters on my wish list.

Offline TriciaJ82

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2016, 06:25:26 PM »
I don't know if anyone has ever heard of this site but it is extremely comprehensive.

http://www.cozy-mystery.com/cozy-mysteries-by-themes.html

There is every theme you can think of under the sun!

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2016, 02:19:24 PM »

These are the last 3 book-related cozies I read this week and the next is listed below.  As you can see from the titles, not only are they book related, each is related to a different classic mystery writer.  I am really enjoying them.  There were a few formatting problems in book 2 with the font changing size on the same page.  I reported it, but it didn't pull me out of the story.

Penguin seems to be "the" traditional publisher of cozies and I'm seeing everything from well-known authors and new-to-me authors priced at $7.99 across the board.  I used to pay those prices at the bookstore all the time, but have been spoiled by most e-book prices.  I'd get pretty darned excited about a sale!

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2016, 02:23:11 PM »
Those look good, Crebel . . . . I enjoy cozies but as someone else commented, I'm not into the food or quilting ones . . . no offense to Betsy! :o I like the idea of a bookstore series, though . . .

And that's a very cool website you found Tricia!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 02:30:08 PM by Ann in Arlington »

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2016, 02:32:36 PM »
Those look good, Crebel . . . . I enjoy cozies but as someone else commented, I'm not into the food or quilting ones . . . . I like the idea of a bookstore series, though . . .

Not a bookstore in this series, Ann.  The amateur sleuth is living with and working for an eccentric wealthy woman who is a book collector.  So far each mystery has occurred while trying to track down missing or better copies of the individual writer's books.  I've personally rated each of the stories 4*, but took off 1* for the formatting of book 2.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2016, 02:37:17 PM »
Not a bookstore in this series, Ann.  The amateur sleuth is living with and working for an eccentric wealthy woman who is a book collector.  So far each mystery has occurred while trying to track down missing or better copies of the individual writer's books.  I've personally rated each of the stories 4*, but took off 1* for the formatting of book 2.

Ah! I misunderstood . . . but it still sounds good. :)

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2016, 06:49:27 PM »
Those do sound fun, Crebel. I don't know how I managed to miss them in my browsing.

Offline PB2016

• View Profile
    • Vegetarian Food Blog
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2016, 06:00:04 AM »
I like Cozy mysteries..and I have come across a lot that I haven't read yet..

some I do like though -

Tea Shop Mysteries by Laura Childs -- these books were written a while ago, I think

Myrtle Clover series by Elizabeth Spann Craig - octogenarian English teacher in the South with a cop son

Barbara Ross and her Maine mysteries

Lucille mysteries by Peg Cochran - hilarious

Cherry Tucker series by Larissa Reinhart

Liz Talbot series by Susan Boyle

Meg Langslow series by Donna Andrews

Agatha Raisin by MC Beaton

and so on...have you guys read any of these?

thanks...

Tomorrow is just another day.
Pragati Bidkar | Blog | Twitter | Facebook

Offline ellenoc

• Colorado
  • Mystery and romance
    • View Profile
    • Ellen O'Connell
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2016, 04:11:47 PM »
Meg Langslow series by Donna Andrews

Yes, in spite of the high price, the Meg Langslow's are on my auto-buy list.

There are several other series I've abandoned or slowed down on a lot because of price. They're good stories, though, if anyone doesn't share my tightwad attitude:

Sheila Connolly's Orchard Mystery series is about a city girl who inherits a house attached to an apple orchard and stays and gets the orchard producing again - starts with One Bad Apple.

Jennie Bentley's Do-It-Yourself Mysteries feature another city girl who inherits a country house. In this one she hires someone to make repairs, falls for the guy, and the two of them set up a fix-it and flip-it business.

I think Monica Ferris's Needlecraft Mysteries were mentioned above. I don't do needlework but I liked these books anyway.

Lorna Barrett's Booktown Mysteries feature the owner of an all-mystery bookstore. First one is Murder is Binding.

For us cheapskates, Maggie Pill's Sleuth Sisters mysteries are in KU - two sisters (middle-aged, one marred) set up a detective agency. The third sister, who they deliberately didn't invite to be a partner, keeps trying to butt in.

A series that has been wound up but has a dozen entries is Jo Dereske's Miss Zukas Mysteries. The amateur sleuth is a truly uptight librarian who somehow always manages to solve the crime and meet all challenges along the way without backing off rigid standards an inch. I really love these. They're re-reads.

Lorena McCourtney has a slightly different kind of series in the Ivy Malone Mysteries. The first one is Invisible (when I tried to look it up on my Kindle, I got a "no longer available" message, but then a second attempt searching by author brought it up for sale). The amateur sleuth is in her 60's, and the idea is that older people are invisible to much of the general public who ignore and discount us. Therefore, a LOL (little old lady) who sticks her nose into things isn't noticed the way a younger person would be.

I am, of course, a great fan of dog mysteries, and my favorites are:

Susan Conant's Holly Winter mysteries featuring Malamutes. First one is A New Leash on Death. I think this series is winding down. Holly is married now, and there haven't been the regular once a year entries in the series lately, but if someone started them now, they'd have to go through more than a dozen to catch up anyway.

Laurien Berenson's Melanie Travis series featuring Standard Poodles. First one is A Pedigree to Die for. Melanie starts out as a divorced single mother, but she's remarried now. There was a big gap in the series a couple of years ago and my guess is Berenson had to find a different publisher or something, but she's back on the one a year schedule now.

For those who want to look at classics, I loved Agatha Christie's Miss Marple mysteries. For some reason Hercule Poirot never appealed that much.

Josephine Tey didn't write a lot, and I don't think her Inspector Grant? mysteries are cozies, but I think Brat Farrar is, and it's one of my all time favorites, but of course it's set on a horse breeding farm in England, and I'm a horse person.  :)

« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 04:14:02 PM by ellenoc »

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2016, 06:33:48 AM »
I think I have some, or maybe all of those on my wishlist and to read list lol.

Here are some currently on sale for $1.99, though probably not for long...

These 3 are daily deals so the price is for today (3-3) only.

Another Fluke book in the Monthly Deals, you have until the end of the month for this one.

These have already been on sale for a few days so the prices may be going back up soon.

this one is the 2nd book, the 1st book is $2.99

And these.. the first 2 are $2.99 the 3rd is $1.99

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2016, 04:53:05 AM »
A cozy I had on my wish list showed up as free this morning if anyone else is interested (thanks for the heads up, Michelle).

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2016, 02:10:27 PM »
I just found another food-related cozy mystery I had on a watch list currently listed as free.  I'm not overly impressed with the cover, but it has some good reviews.

Offline Lou Harpr

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
    • Book Cover Design
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2016, 02:24:00 PM »
I love Simon Brett's Charles Paris series. http://www.amazon.com/Order-Disappearance-Charles-Paris-Mystery-ebook/dp/B006CVNU7G They are a little different--the protagonist is an aging, hard-drinking, and too often out-of-work actor. There's even audio dramatized versions of some of them--I borrowed them from the library--and he's voiced by Bill Nighy.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2016, 03:20:30 PM »

I really liked this one, the second in the series just came out. The ending is how to make a snow globe. Its a good start for a series.

I read this one a day or two ago and enjoyed it very much.  I agree that it is a good start for a new series.  4-stars from me.