Turkey Trouble on Amazon
KB Featured Book
Wish Granted! Tips, Tools, and Templates to Write a Winning Grant
by Holly Rustick

$1.99
Kindle Edition published 2017-08-22
Bestseller ranking: 95983

Product Description
INCLUDES BONUS FREE E-DOWNLOADS: TEMPLATES FOR GRANT WRITING!

Grant writing shouldn’t feel like a trip to the dentist. Take the pain out of the process with this innovative and fun, yes fun, guide. Learn all the inside tips and tools of the grant-writing trade in this easy-to-read and upbeat book.
This book is definitely for you if:
•You break out in a cold sweat when your boss mentions the word ‘grant’.
•You’ve been tempted to throw your computer against the wall while writing a grant.
•You happily tell stakeholders there’s plenty of grants out there … but haven’t the faintest idea how to write and get one!
•You think you can send out a bog-standard letter to a bunch of organizations and get funded.
•Your eyes glaze over when you’re presented with grant writing jargon and acronyms.
•Your organization’s grant success A-game has r...

Author Topic: # 3 in genre (Amazon.co.uk), but how the heck do they choose 'genres' ?????  (Read 773 times)  

Offline Sparrowhawks

• UK
  • Dances with dogs.
    • View Profile

I was delighted to see that one of my books was # 3 (in Genre) on the Amazon bestseller list, and happy with the first genre I was allocated ( #3 in Kindle Store > Books > Arts & Photography > Photography > Nature & Wildlife): because the story is a comic tale about an inept big game photographer in Africa.

But from where did they pluck the other 'genres' ?

Science & Nature > Earth Sciences & Geography > The Environment > Conservation  ?? ....Mmmmm .... Maybe !

But "Art & Architecture" ?? ...... FFS !   

Who cares ??  It's only the second time I've made the Top 10 in 'Paid' !  They can categorize it as "Medieval Portuguese brass polishing" if it blows their hair back !   ;D

Copy from Amazon.co.uk (11 Feb 2016)
Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #51,810 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
#3 in Kindle Store > Books > Arts & Photography > Photography > Nature & Wildlife
#154 in Books > Science & Nature > Earth Sciences & Geography > The Environment > Conservation
#777 in Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Photography

Offline noirhvy

• View Profile
I am a photograbber myself, starting with a Rolleiflex prior to 1960, but I cannot quite fathom just what your gripe here is, if in fact it is a gripe. The human beast has an irrational feral urge to categorize anything and everything and the fiercest beast in the jungle are those with fangs and algorythms.

Offline Sparrowhawks

• UK
  • Dances with dogs.
    • View Profile
1960 ?  HAU !  you must be my sort of generation !

Not a 'gripe', friend ! ...... I was very happy they dropped me into that particular category ! 

But you've given me a thought !

I am thinking of asking Amazon to open a specific 'Genre' just for people like me !  It would probably be along these lines .......

Certifiably Insane >  Drunken African > Tall Story Relating > Drifting > Game Viewing > Gin & Tonic Swilling > Wasters

On second thoughts, those are probably fairly numerous, so - to be sure of securing myself a permanent 'Top 10' position - perhaps I should ask Amazon to include 'One-legged' in the above genre specification ?  8)

Offline noirhvy

• View Profile
Mention "I shoot with film" and you'll be all alone.

Offline Sparrowhawks

• UK
  • Dances with dogs.
    • View Profile
I'm worried that my mates would shoot back with .357s !

Offline noirhvy

• View Profile
I peeked into one of your books and have determined you are a smart aleck with a poor attitude. I like that. I am of the same ilk. I may have to buy your book.

Offline Sparrowhawks

• UK
  • Dances with dogs.
    • View Profile
I peeked into one of your books and have determined you are a smart aleck with a poor attitude. I like that. I am of the same ilk. I may have to buy your book.

Noirhvy,

I was substantially impressed by your thought-provoking analysis of my character and general attitude.

My admiration for your undoubted analytical abilities would probably become complete if you were to put your bloody 99 Pee on the table, and BUY the sodding thing !   :D

KK

Offline Sparrowhawks

• UK
  • Dances with dogs.
    • View Profile

maShamwaris,

This story has gone back to #4 in the Amazon Top 100 (by genre) !   :-[

No matter !  Have you heard how Lord Patu lost his leg, and what happened to the Toasted Tortoise ?

Booga mangwana, shamwaris (look tomorrow friends) !

:)

Online Shelley K

• View Profile
I was delighted to see that one of my books was # 3 (in Genre) on the Amazon bestseller list, and happy with the first genre I was allocated ( #3 in Kindle Store > Books > Arts & Photography > Photography > Nature & Wildlife): because the story is a comic tale about an inept big game photographer in Africa.

But from where did they pluck the other 'genres' ?

Science & Nature > Earth Sciences & Geography > The Environment > Conservation  ?? ....Mmmmm .... Maybe !

But "Art & Architecture" ?? ...... FFS !   

Who cares ??  It's only the second time I've made the Top 10 in 'Paid' !  They can categorize it as "Medieval Portuguese brass polishing" if it blows their hair back !   ;D

Copy from Amazon.co.uk (11 Feb 2016)
Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #51,810 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
#3 in Kindle Store > Books > Arts & Photography > Photography > Nature & Wildlife
#154 in Books > Science & Nature > Earth Sciences & Geography > The Environment > Conservation
#777 in Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Photography

You've put it in a non-fiction category and chosen keywords that spreads it into other non-fiction categories. Which, if your book's non-fiction, great. If it's fiction, it doesn't make much sense that you would have put it in non-fiction to begin with.

Offline Sparrowhawks

• UK
  • Dances with dogs.
    • View Profile
You've put it in a non-fiction category and chosen keywords that spreads it into other non-fiction categories. Which, if your book's non-fiction, great. If it's fiction, it doesn't make much sense that you would have put it in non-fiction to begin with.

Shelly K,

It is an embellished story that has been 'glamorised' to make it more interesting.  Please tell me into which categories YOU would have placed it, and what 'keywords' YOU would have used ?  I would be most interested.  KK

Online Shelley K

• View Profile
Re: # 3 in genre (Amazon.co.uk), but how the heck do they choose 'genres' ?????
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2016, 07:55:57 PM »

Shelly K,

It is an embellished story that has been 'glamorised' to make it more interesting.

Please tell me into which categories YOU would have placed it, and what 'keywords' YOU would have used ?  I would be most interested.  KK

Well, since YOU asked so nicely. I don't really know what it is, so I can't say, and I'm not familiar with non-fiction keywords, but as I said earlier, that's why it's in categories you didn't expect. It could be creative non-fiction, it could be a fictionalized account of a real event and therefore better as fiction. It's not clear from your description, so I can't judge which way it leans. If it's fiction, it belongs in fiction. If it's non-fiction, it belongs in non-fiction. There's nothing to be defensive about, just a statement of fact.

Offline Sparrowhawks

• UK
  • Dances with dogs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2016, 10:29:22 AM »
Well, since YOU asked so nicely. I don't really know what it is, so I can't say, and I'm not familiar with non-fiction keywords, but as I said earlier, that's why it's in categories you didn't expect. It could be creative non-fiction, it could be a fictionalized account of a real event and therefore better as fiction. It's not clear from your description, so I can't judge which way it leans. If it's fiction, it belongs in fiction. If it's non-fiction, it belongs in non-fiction.
There's nothing to be defensive about, just a statement of fact.

Thank you, Shelly K, I found that unbelievably informative.

The only things that confused me a little, were  (i) your statement that "...I don't really know what it is, so I can't say...", and (ii) your apparent conviction that something cannot find a comfy home simultaneously in both 'fiction' and 'non fiction'.

On the first point, may I point out that you didn't know what it was BEFORE, but you did not allow that to prevent you from having a "say" then.

And on your second point, I would like you to know that I am currently working on a detailed account of the Battle of Isandlawana, where Lord Chelmsford's Centre Column was annihilated by Zulu King Cetswayo's Impis during the Zulu War.  The battle - in my new work - is narrated by two fictional cockney British soldiers (Alf and Ernie).

When it is published, it will be listed under both 'fiction' AND 'non-fiction'.   :D

KK

Ps:- Had you bothered to click on the icon for 'The Art of Camouflage' in my signature bar, you could have SEEN what it was about (at no cost), and then you WOULD have known what you were talking about:  before commenting !

PPs:- Your avatar displays a lovely smile.   :)

Online Shelley K

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2016, 10:46:11 AM »

Thank you, Shelly K, I found that unbelievably informative.

The only things that confused me a little, were  (i) your statement that "...I don't really know what it is, so I can't say...", and (ii) your apparent conviction that something cannot find a comfy home simultaneously in both 'fiction' and 'non fiction'.

On the first point, may I point out that you didn't know what it was BEFORE, but you did not allow that to prevent you from having a "say" then.

And on your second point, I would like you to know that I am currently working on a detailed account of the Battle of Isandlawana, where Lord Chelmsford's Centre Column was annihilated by Zulu King Cetswayo's Impis during the Zulu War.  The battle - in my new work - is narrated by two fictional cockney British soldiers (Alf and Ernie).

When it is published, it will be listed under both 'fiction' AND 'non-fiction'.   :D

KK

Ps:- Had you bothered to click on the icon for 'The Art of Camouflage' in my signature bar, you could have SEEN what it was about (at no cost), and then you WOULD have known what you were talking about:  before commenting !

PPs:- Your avatar displays a lovely smile.   :)

You were baffled by the different categories. I explained why you were in them (you're welcome). Then you took a general statement of fact about categories personally, which is always confusing and fun. But okay! Have a lovely weekend.

(That's Dorothy Parker in my icon. Her sunny smile puts mine to shame.)

Offline Sparrowhawks

• UK
  • Dances with dogs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2016, 11:44:47 AM »
You were baffled by the different categories. I explained why you were in them (you're welcome). Then you took a general statement of fact about categories personally, which is always confusing and fun. But okay! Have a lovely weekend.

(That's Dorothy Parker in my icon. Her sunny smile puts mine to shame.)

Touchez !

Good reply.  I am going to have a look at your work.  I suspect it might be interesting.  8)

KK

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac