Author Topic: amazon author review of his own book  (Read 692 times)  

Offline mike h

• View Profile
    • Herman_Santangelo
amazon author review of his own book
« on: Yesterday at 06:11:33 PM »
Came across this while doing research on Yippies, etc. It is Pete Wagner's own review of his book, Buy this Book. The title is an homage to Abbie Hoffman's Steal this Book.
https://www.amazon.com/Buy-This-Book-Pete-Wagner/dp/0937706000/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1526863978&sr=1-1&keywords=buy+this+book+pete+wagner
The review is noteworthy for a number of reasons. You'll have to scroll down to read it. He is reviewer 3 out of 6 reviews.
But...it would be interesting if Amazon allowed authors to review their own books and see how many give themselves high star ratings (with full in depth reviews as this review does) or even low star ratings in a moment of self deprecation. (Almost everyone has their moments)

Offline C. Gold

• View Profile
    • Golden Elm Publishing
Re: amazon author review of his own book
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 06:24:36 PM »
I saw an indie author review his own book on Amazon. I wrote one on GoodReads just because it marked it as 'author review' and I had to try it out. Haven't been gutsy enough to do it on Amazon. Always figured the bots would eventually remove it.

Offline jb1111

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 11:00:36 PM »
It comes off as egotistical.

It belongs in a blurb, not a review. That's part of what the blurb is for: to inform potential readers about the book.

Online L_Loryn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:32:14 AM »
Yeah if I reviewed my own book, it definitely won't be a glowing 5 star review.

It'd be something along the lines of  3 stars/ 2.5 stars:

I don't know how you sell this for money. It's okay, I guess. If you like books about people mashing their genitals together with some back story, a bunch of weirdo characters talking about things that don't matter, and some intimate scenes of questionable "steam" level (who knows what that even means? Scorching Hot, what's that even mean??). The author could do a better job not using the word "just" three billion times, and seriously of someone slides somewhere else, I'm done. Really, slides? Are we all on skates?

Oh, it has a complete beginning, middle, and end. Everyone has back stories and the author has a mostly decent grasp on grammar but is drunk with the commas. So there's that.

Offline Jack Krenneck

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Today at 01:21:43 AM »
I could live with an author reviewing their own work -- if they did so under their own name. It might actually prove insightful.

What I find reprehensible is authors reviewing other authors within the same genre. And giving them low ratings. It's against Amazon policy, but some people still do it.   

Online PaulineMRoss

• Nairn, Scotland
    • View Profile
    • The Brightmoon Annals
« Reply #5 on: Today at 02:52:08 AM »
What I find reprehensible is authors reviewing other authors within the same genre. And giving them low ratings. It's against Amazon policy, but some people still do it.

Not against Amazon policy. They say explicitly:
2. Are authors allowed to review other authors' books?
Yes. Authors are welcome to submit Customer Reviews, unless the reviewing author has a personal relationship with the author of the book being reviewed, or was involved in the book's creation process (i.e. as a co-author, editor, illustrator, etc.). If so, that author isn't eligible to write a Customer Review for that book. Please review our Customer Review Guidelines for more information.

That comes from this page: https://www.amazon.com/gp/community-help/customer-review-guidelines-faqs-from-authors

The Customer Review Guidelines link now redirects to this page: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201929730

Obviously, this all applies to genuine reviews, and not drive-by 1*s and other, more subtle, forms of denigrating fellow authors. Naturally authors are also readers, and read widely in their own genres, so who better to post insightful reviews?
« Last Edit: Today at 06:21:22 AM by PaulineMRoss »

Pauline M. Ross (epic fantasy) Website | Mary Kingswood (Regency romances) Website 
Bookbub rejections: 60; SUCCESS!; rejections: 8 and counting...

Offline Jack Krenneck

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Today at 04:10:25 AM »
I could be wrong, but this is what I based my comment on.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201929730

It's long winded, so here's one of the most relevant bits:

In order to preserve the integrity of Community content, content and activities consisting of advertising, promotion, or solicitation (whether direct or indirect) is not allowed, including:

Creating, modifying, or posting content regarding your (or your relative's, close friend's, business associate's, or employer's) products or services.
    Creating, modifying, or posting content regarding your competitors' products or services.

Again, I could be wrong. But I take the first point to be a prohibition against trying to upwardly manipulate sales rank of your own work. I take the second one as a prohibition against trying to downwardly manipulate sales rank of a competitor's work.

If I'm right, this is another one of those breaches that could lead to account termination.

A lot comes down though to what "competitor's products" mean. In a sense, all authors are competitors with each other. But if I write epic fantasy and leave a review of a thriller, it's just a review and has no impact on my sales. However, if I leave a poor review on another epic fantasy book, especially one creeping up on me on a bestseller list, that could have a direct impact on my sales.

Offline Joseph M. Erhardt

• U.S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Today at 05:51:41 AM »
I reviewed The Dinosaur Chronicles on Goodreads, but I didn't give it a star rating, and I made the review deliberately over-the-top. :)

Joseph M. Erhardt

Online Doglover

• Huntingdon, United Kingdom
  • If you want real love, buy a dog.
    • View Profile
    • Margaret Brazear Author
« Reply #8 on: Today at 05:52:45 AM »
Author's are not allowed to review their own books on Amazon, although sometimes one can get away with it. I know this, because I followed Amazon's link to review that they send out when someone buys a book. The book I bought was mine, and I was not allowed to review it, despite the invitation. A friend, new to publishing, did manage to review her own book.

However, it is allowed on Goodreads, which is ridiculous.

The past is another country; they do things differently there
Margaret Brazear | Website | Blog | Facebook | Readers Group | Newsletter

Offline RBN

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Today at 06:06:30 AM »
Author's are not allowed to review their own books on Amazon, although sometimes one can get away with it. I know this, because I followed Amazon's link to review that they send out when someone buys a book. The book I bought was mine, and I was not allowed to review it, despite the invitation. A friend, new to publishing, did manage to review her own book.

If one's Amazon store account uses a different email address than one's KDP account, it doesn't trigger the level-one conflict-of-interest bots that block certain dubious activities.

Online Bards and Sages (Julie)

• New Jersey
  • Her Royal Sithiness
    • View Profile
    • Bards and Sages Publishing
« Reply #10 on: Today at 06:11:00 AM »
In order to preserve the integrity of Community content, content and activities consisting of advertising, promotion, or solicitation (whether direct or indirect) is not allowed, including:

Creating, modifying, or posting content regarding your (or your relative's, close friend's, business associate's, or employer's) products or services.
    Creating, modifying, or posting content regarding your competitors' products or services.

Authors are not considered competitors, as Amazon clarifies explicitly in the subsequent link Pauline provided. Peer review is a cornerstone of the arts. It is actually a vital and important part of the arts. Authors really shouldn't look at each other as competitors. Just because I buy a book from you does not mean I won't by a book from someone else. In fact, I am highly likely to buy books from a lot of different authors besides you.

By "competitors" they mean retail competitors. An employee for Coke should not be reviewing Pepsi products. Colgate employees should not be reviewing Crest products. There is a clear conflict of interest there. But books are NOT INTERCHANGEABLE COMMODITIES. In fact, peer review can actually increase the attractiveness of a book. If I already know an author and like his or her work, and that author leaves a thoughtful review on another book, I'm going to be inclined to look favorably on that other book.

Writer, Publisher, Game Designer, Resident Sith
Julie Ann Dawson | Blog | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads | eFesitival of Words

Offline Puddleduck

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Today at 06:11:59 AM »

Reprehensible is a strong word. You don't think authors are allowed to be readers of their own genre? You don't think they as readers are allowed to have and share their own opinions? Deliberately trying to sabotage competition (if an author insists on seeing a peer as competition) is bad, but assuming every author that low-stars a book in their own genre is doing so is condescending and judgmental.

Online PaulineMRoss

• Nairn, Scotland
    • View Profile
    • The Brightmoon Annals
« Reply #12 on: Today at 06:26:15 AM »
I could be wrong, but this is what I based my comment on.

Yes, that's from the second link I referenced. It's a very generic set of guidelines for all forms of content (which includes reviews) covering all Amazon products (which includes books). I prefer to take the very specific guidance aimed directly at authors, which says reviews of other authors' books are fine, so long as you don't have a personal or financial connection. That, to me, is very explicit and clear. You (and any one else) are free to make your own judgement, naturally.

Pauline M. Ross (epic fantasy) Website | Mary Kingswood (Regency romances) Website 
Bookbub rejections: 60; SUCCESS!; rejections: 8 and counting...

Online Doglover

• Huntingdon, United Kingdom
  • If you want real love, buy a dog.
    • View Profile
    • Margaret Brazear Author
« Reply #13 on: Today at 06:31:00 AM »
If one's Amazon store account uses a different email address than one's KDP account, it doesn't trigger the level-one conflict-of-interest bots that block certain dubious activities.
It also goes by IP address. I uploaded a revised cover for a friend's book from my computer, and the next time she tried to review one of my books, they wouldn't allow it. Told her we had a connection.

The past is another country; they do things differently there
Margaret Brazear | Website | Blog | Facebook | Readers Group | Newsletter