Author Topic: ISBN usage question  (Read 296 times)  

Offline Jerri Kay Lincoln

• Arizona mountains
  • The happier you are, the happier you are . . .
    • View Profile
    • JerriLincoln
ISBN usage question
« on: June 17, 2018, 03:12:29 PM »
I can't even remember why I did it now, but I had two ISBNs and two separate books for one of my paperbacks.  I had one for Amazon distribution and a separate one for expanded distribution.  I think I did it to make the expanded version cost more.

Anyway, it didn't work out.  Both of them ended up on the Amazon page, looked horrible, and I "retired" the second one right away.  This was years ago, so I don't remember how long "right away" was . . . maybe a month . . . probably less.  Nobody bought one.

Anyway, I've decided to do a hardcover for the book that I had the two versions on.  So I looked up the "expanded" ISBN on Bowker, and it isn't there. 

1.  Do you think I could use that without any repercussions?
2.  If there are repercussions, what would they be?

Offline Sleeping Cat Books

• Helping you reach your publishing goals since 2006
    • View Profile
    • Sleeping Cat Books
Re: ISBN usage question
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 03:47:29 PM »
Are these ISBNs that you own? If so, I'm not sure how one of them could no longer appear in your Bowker account. If it's still in your Bowker account, then it should already be assigned to the prior title.

At any rate, you could always try to reuse it (although I'd be very surprised if this worked). The worst case would likely be that either Bowker or the printer/distributor would refuse the reuse.
Providing editing and book design services to independent authors
Sarah Holroyd | Sleeping Cat Books | Sleeping Cat Press | discussion

Offline Jerri Kay Lincoln

• Arizona mountains
  • The happier you are, the happier you are . . .
    • View Profile
    • JerriLincoln
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 04:07:25 PM »
Are these ISBNs that you own? If so, I'm not sure how one of them could no longer appear in your Bowker account. If it's still in your Bowker account, then it should already be assigned to the prior title.

At any rate, you could always try to reuse it (although I'd be very surprised if this worked). The worst case would likely be that either Bowker or the printer/distributor would refuse the reuse.

Now that you answered my other ISBN question (thank you!), I can give you more info.  Yes, I own them.  This was years ago, and it is not showing up on my ISBN list.  I don't think it was "out there" long enough.  I said maybe a month, but it could have been only a week or less.  I think I may be okay.

Online Speaker-To-Animals

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 04:18:10 PM »
You can't reuse an ISBN. The whole point is that it points to a specific unique version of a specific unique book. It's a serial number. Reusing it would kind of be against the whole concept.

Just take the free ISBN from Amazon/Createspace/whatever.

Online okey dokey

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2018, 06:31:51 PM »
The paperback and a hardcover must have different ISBN numbers.
If you use an Amazon ISBN, then that's where readers buy the book.
Your own ISBN can be sold through other stores.

Online Speaker-To-Animals

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2018, 04:30:32 AM »
The paperback and a hardcover must have different ISBN numbers.
If you use an Amazon ISBN, then that's where readers buy the book.
Your own ISBN can be sold through other stores.

Createspace will let you do expanded distribution while using their own ISBN. It's coming to KDP Print AFAIK.

Offline Bards and Sages (Julie)

• New Jersey
  • Her Royal Sithiness
    • View Profile
    • Bards and Sages Publishing
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2018, 05:55:08 AM »
You can't reuse an ISBN. The whole point is that it points to a specific unique version of a specific unique book. It's a serial number. Reusing it would kind of be against the whole concept.

This. No, you cannot reuse ISBN numbers. It is a controlled number. The entire point of the ISBN system and the reason why only certain agencies are allowed to issue them is that they are controlled numbers. If you could just reassign them whenever you wanted, there would be no reason for them to exist.

Writer, Publisher, Game Designer, Resident Sith
Julie Ann Dawson | Blog | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads | eFesitival of Words