Author Topic: Denise Barker, COPY EDITOR, 2008 to Present (first 5.5 years with Harlequin)  (Read 10001 times)  

Offline Denise Barker

• Dallas Metroplex
    • View Profile
Re: Denise Barker, COPY EDITOR, 2008 to Present (first 5.5 years with Harlequin)
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2016, 06:43:21 PM »
Fall is on its way, the first official day being Thursday, September 22, 2016. I'm ready for cooler temps and not having to mow the lawn weekly. But, here in Texas, we still have mowing into November.

Have a great week, y'all.

Denise Barker
Freelance Copy Editor
BarkerDeniseAnn@gmail.com
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 06:30:39 PM by Denise Barker »

DENISE BARKER, author, blogger, freelance copy editor
Denise Barker | Living the Dream Publishing

Offline Denise Barker

• Dallas Metroplex
    • View Profile
Re: Denise Barker, COPY EDITOR, 2008 to Present (first 5.5 years with Harlequin)
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2016, 04:34:59 AM »
We are three months away from Christmas, folks. If you are planning a pre-Thanksgiving release, you've got two months to make it happen. In my business, you should generally expect a one-month turnaround on any copyediting project (the grammar and spelling look-see) you submit. (Same for any developmental edit as to plot/character/pacing/etc.) If doing both, the DE comes first, then the CE. To upload your book for this Christmas season, your spit-shined first draft of that novel better already be in the DE process, then give yourself a week to make any related story updates. I return copyediting projects a bit faster than the norm usually, but the thirty-day allowance is a good generic baseline. Again give yourself about a week to Accept/Reject those edits and maybe another week to do the final Indie-publishing process (including your own cover design, online description, previews and uploads to the various online venues). Go forth and conquer!

Offline Denise Barker

• Dallas Metroplex
    • View Profile
Happy October 2016. Soon I'll have to remember to write/type 2017. Where did this year go? I hope y'all got more done than you expected or you got most of your To Do list done. Kudos to you.

Denise Barker
Freelance Copy Editor

Offline Denise Barker

• Dallas Metroplex
    • View Profile
Yes, the 16CMS (the accepted US English grammar guideline for fiction and layperson's nonfiction alike) covers various comma rules. Even rules about spaces. Check in with your professional copy editor for all the vagaries involved in US English grammar (and spelling).

Denise Barker
Freelance Copy Editor

Offline Denise Barker

• Dallas Metroplex
    • View Profile
I uploaded my eighteenth e-book recently. As usual I write them for myself and hope others need them at times too. Check out my Stress Less: 365 Tips for when you are seeking some relief. I think we all need more self-love to counter our own internal critics, much less external stresses. Take good care of yourself. It's preventative medicine, the best kind in my opinion. Have a great day, y'all.

Denise Barker
Freelance Copy Editor

Offline Denise Barker

• Dallas Metroplex
    • View Profile
I'm enjoying the cooler weather in Texas and mowing my yard one final time this year, plus working on Book 1 of my first-ever series and reading some books in between copyediting jobs. It's a grand time of year. Hope y'all are having fun too.

Denise Barker
Freelance Copy Editor

Offline Denise Barker

• Dallas Metroplex
    • View Profile
A few days ago I read a book on the Kaizen practice of gaining more efficiency but also not to create, transmit or accept waste, plus Kaizen has this great A3-X Matrix template for dealing with problems and analyzing the results. Check it out online or in many of the books written on the subject.

Afterward I read a wonderful book (in my top ten and probably will remain there), which I highly recommend: Susan May Warren's The Story Equation (aka SEQ) which gives brilliant tips on plotting a character-driven story that draws in the reader. I'm typing up my highlights within her ebook (and I have many) and from there will condense the goodies into a chronological checklist of her genius SEQ application for use in my own creations.

Have a great week, everyone.

Denise Barker
Freelance Copy Editor

Offline Denise Barker

• Dallas Metroplex
    • View Profile
Here in the States, Election Day is tomorrow. I encourage everybody to get out to vote in this year's presidential election. It may be raining in Texas November 8, so take your umbrellas! I get to avoid all that as I voted early.

In the meantime, I'm hard at work finishing the first draft of Book 1 of my first-ever series. I figure, once I get my world and characters set up just so, then the next books should go faster (in theory). In actual practice, I'll have to let you know later.

Take care, all!

Denise Barker
Freelance Copy Editor

Offline Denise Barker

• Dallas Metroplex
    • View Profile
Little did I know that my July 4 posting here, my prayer regarding the United Kingdom and their Brexit vote, would be applicable to us here in the States now after our recent November elections. Here is my prayer again, revised for the United States: For all of us affected by our American "Brexit," my prayers for a smooth transition are with us all as this change is made.

Denise Barker
Freelance Copy Editor

Offline Denise Barker

• Dallas Metroplex
    • View Profile
Happy Thanksgiving week to all! Here's to a safe and fun holiday with plenty of good eats!

Denise Barker

Online Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
Denise,

Somehow I missed welcoming your vendor thread, so here it is!

Welcome to the KB Writers Cafe!

You're welcome to promote your business and website here in the Writers' Cafe!

Now that you have an official thread, you'll want to add your listing to our Yellow Pages Listing, found here:
http://www.kboards.com/yp/

The listing is free to KB members and is completely self-service; you can add and edit your listing from the page. More information on our Yellow Pages listing can be found here.

In your thread here, we ask that the same basic rules be followed as we have for authors in the Book Bazaar: you may have this one thread about your service and must post to it rather than start a new thread each time. New threads about the service wil be removed. Please bookmark this thread so that you can find it again to post to. And, you may not make back-to-back posts to the thread within seven days. If someone responds (such as this post), you may reply but otherwise must wait seven days, thanks!

Note that members may provide civil and honest feedback about your service to this thread, and you may respond in a civil manner. Disputes between you and clients should be handled off site.

Betsy
KBoards Moderator

Note that this welcome does not constitute an endorsement or vetting of a service by KBoards. Members should do due diligence when considering using a service, for example, by asking KB members for feedback and doing an Internet search such as "service provider name" complaints.
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline Denise Barker

• Dallas Metroplex
    • View Profile
The Christmas lights are more plentiful in my neighborhood this year, both as to the quantity of those brilliant bulbs in the yards and as to the number of yards being decorated. I love watching the blinking lights (even the stationary ones), akin to the appeal of sitting before a lit fireplace. The multicolored arrangements appeared overnight once Thanksgiving had been celebrated and leftovers shared. We are truly in the holiday season now.

Take time to enjoy these days. Take more days off if you can. Take nighttime drives to see the lights in other neighborhoods. Take a moment to just breathe.

Denise Barker
Freelance Copy Editor

Offline Denise Barker

• Dallas Metroplex
    • View Profile
I'm currently working on Book One of my first fiction series. And belatedly (I'm at 68,542 WC of an estimated 80K WC novel), I've added in subhead notations (for me only) at each chapter and time break (in other words, for each scene). A new scene or three had interrupted my previous order.

And, if you're like me, rereading my draft (word for word, starting at p. 1 onward) has me copyediting (dealing with grammar and spelling issues), not focusing on plot continuity.

So I'm using Header 1 of Word's Styles for my chapter headings (CHs) and Header 2 for my subheadings (Subs). Plus these Styles help in creating a Word-generated Table of Contents. Better to read four or five pages of my TOC (as a story overview) instead of the 275 pages currently making up my MS (as a detailed mechanics view).

I interrupted myself to do a sample cover, but I easily talked myself into starting my scan of those 275 double-spaced pages to come up with scene descriptions, knowing this will help me greatly and save me tons of time. Once scene labeling is done, I can read my TOC, locating what sections to move to where, plus seeing where my plot goes awry or where I've got too many things going on in one day or have forgotten another day or have too much emphasis on one major POV than the other one.

Hope this helps someone out there too. Have a good week, everyone.

Offline Denise Barker

• Dallas Metroplex
    • View Profile
When to use "L.A." and when to use "LA":

"L.A." = Los Angeles (the city), per 16CMS 7.62 and 8.4.

"LA" = Louisiana (the state), per 16CMS 10.28.

I see this often misused in my copyediting projects.

Have a good week, everyone.

Denise Barker
Freelance Copy Editor

Offline Denise Barker

• Dallas Metroplex
    • View Profile
Hard to believe Christmas 2016 is this upcoming Sunday. Merry Christmas! And peace on Earth ...

Denise Barker
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 07:56:44 AM by Denise Barker »

Offline Denise Barker

• Dallas Metroplex
    • View Profile
Hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas. Get ready to ring in the New Year 2017. Celebrate safely; consider your resolutions, your yearlong plans. Here's to a happy and prosperous year!

Denise Barker

Offline Denise Barker

• Dallas Metroplex
    • View Profile
We've made it to 2017. Here's to each of us enjoying myriad successes as authors. Best wishes, all.

Denise Barker
Author, Blogger, Freelance Copy Editor

Offline Denise Barker

• Dallas Metroplex
    • View Profile
The Texas weather has been interesting. After three or four nights of twenty-degree temps, we are now looking forward to three or four days of seventy-degree temps. Love it! About three days of winter weather is all I need. Take care, everyone. Hope you all have time to read and to create.

Denise Barker
Freelance Copy Editor

Offline Denise Barker

• Dallas Metroplex
    • View Profile
Six inspirational ideas to guide you throughout 2017:

1. The real definition of "failure" is "not being true to yourself and your dreams."

2. The real definition of "wealth" is "finding where you belong."

3. The real definition of "fear" is "the energy to do your best in a new situation."

4. Stop saying you don't have enough time. Prioritize your time to meet your biggest goal(s).

5. Stop saying you don't have enough money. Get creative and work smarter. Ask what skills you have or what tools are at your home or in your car that could help you with this.

6. Anytime you hit the end of the road, you're lacking an idea, not money, not time, not mentorship. Think outside the box.

Amen!

I don't have the sources for these gems. My apologies to the creative minds who gave us this wisdom, but we can learn and apply them regardless.

Go forth and embrace failure and find your wealth.

Denise Barker
Freelance Copy Editor
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 10:24:05 AM by Denise Barker »

Offline Denise Barker

• Dallas Metroplex
    • View Profile
I'm writing my first-ever fiction series. But I have to believe, after setting up the characters and their "world" for Book One, the next books in the series should be easier, faster, right? I'll report on my experience regarding that and other topics as I go along. However, doesn't this reflection about Book One blazing an easier path for Books Two, Three, etc., also confirm the beauty of plotting ahead of time instead of using the final edit to fix any plotting issues?

Spoken like a reformed seat-of-the-pants author, correct? Although I was really a hybrid plotter to begin with. Now I'm heavier into the preplotting.

Have a great week, everyone.

Denise Barker
Freelance Copy Editor

Offline Denise Barker

• Dallas Metroplex
    • View Profile
Good morning, all! Here it is just one more day away from February 2017. And I had plans to publish Book 1 of my new fiction series in August 2016. Or at least before Christmas last year. Granted, the first book of any series takes the most planning and considering, but my focus needs to go there foremost when I have spare time, right? Right. So that's my new mantra for now through February. What were your 2017 resolutions, dreams, wishes? Hope they are still going strong.

Denise Barker
Freelance Copy Editor

Offline Denise Barker

• Dallas Metroplex
    • View Profile
All my copyediting projects are first come, first served, based on the date and time of the prepayment in full via PayPal.

Hope everybody has a great week, full of productivity.

Denise Barker
Freelance Copy Editor

Offline Denise Barker

• Dallas Metroplex
    • View Profile
I do two complete read-throughs for each and every one of my projects. The first read-through (1RT) is truly looking at every jot and tittle, every semicolon/colon and every space, every letter making up every word of the book. I do catch an incredible amount of typos and grammar snafus this way, and the going is slow. Depending on the project, I could be averaging two pages an hour, but my normal pace is ten.

On the second read-through, I see more big-picture things (plot developments and the like), but any things I missed in the 1RT are more likely to be in the initial quarter of the book, where the "world" and its characters are being set up. So much is going on in that introduction portion that it's overwhelming at first. However, with my second read-through (2RT), I now know how it all works out. Plus I have a lot of the distracting typos and grammar errors out of the way so the pure story line is left.

This 1RT clearing-of-the-path allows me to focus on multiple things in the 2RT, like continuity (seeing where one character stood up two paragraphs earlier and is standing up again without benefit of sitting down in between. Oops!). I see where I was confused by two characters whose names are too much alike, and so I suggest to the author to change either Mike or Mack to Steve or Paul so that the reader is not confused like I was the first time around. I may suggest a bit of foreshadowing to make a later event not so incongruous.

Or I could just do some simple additions like transitions to smooth out otherwise jerky and flat sentences. An example would be: I got up. I looked around. I heard a dog bark. Those three sentences could become: A barking dog had me getting up, looking around.

Also I focus on body language of the characters (not only per each individual but all of them collectively). We all use our favorites, and sometimes they are overdone (too much smiling and sighing going on or the main guy always runs his hands through his hair). The best thing we authors can do is to make up a list of all sorts of mannerisms to add as action tags instead of the rote ones we too often reach for. Mix 'em up for variety. Now I happen to be sensitive to repetitions, so once is "unique" to me. Twice is a repeat. Third is a pattern. Once I see that pattern, I find myself counting the number of times it appears in a story. That's bad. You don't want your readership stepping out of your story like that to monitor your writing style. Granted, your readership probably isn't wired like me to see these so readily. However, if you continue with these repeats throughout the manuscript, I bet your readers will see it at some point.

Anyway this is just a glance at what is going on in this copy editor's head while she is engrossed in a project. I do love what I do.

Denise Barker
Freelance Copy Editor

Offline martyns

• United Kingdom
  • Author of the 'Deathsworn Arc'
    • View Profile
    • Goodreads Author Page
Can you edit to British English as well as American?

Thanks.

Book 1 of the Deathsworn Arc 'Deathsworn Arc: The Last Dragon Slayer' is FREE to download!
Martyn Stanley | Website | Facebook | Goodreads | Twitter | Amazon | Google+ | WattPad

Offline Denise Barker

• Dallas Metroplex
    • View Profile
It's a holiday Monday for us in the States. For me, every day feels like Saturday, or a day off, because I'm doing what I love. What a wonderful way to live.

So here's hoping you all are having a great day today and beyond.

Denise Barker
Freelance US Copy Editor

PS: In case you were wondering about my availability, as of the date and time of this writing, I'm booked through 03.14.2017 with four projects currently in my queue and more penciled in for receipt later this year.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 05:51:50 AM by Denise Barker »