Author Launch - turn-key sites for authors

Author Topic: Special problems needing special answers  (Read 938 times)  

Offline John Crapper

• Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • Holy Shitters
Special problems needing special answers
« on: February 27, 2016, 10:50:25 AM »
I'm new here and need to find out how to handle my unique problem.  I've read your forum rules and it states flatly that: - No bad words please. (Don't test our filters.)

Well my special problem is this.  Your filters to not allow me to say the one and only what your filters say is a bad word - [crap].  The word is in the title of my books and is an integral part of my writing.  Just a forward of my first book (yet to be published) will prove my case. 

A New Religion

There is a new religion emerging.   It is not like religions of the past.  It does not require faith.  It does not purport to put man above the animal world.  It does not require the supernatural.  It does not promise life everlasting.  It does not require one to look up but requires one to look down.

This is the religion of the Church of the Holy crappers.  Our religion is not a passing fad or a form of cynicism or satire.   Our whole belief system is of a consistent pattern that promises an advanced lower reasoning, more human community and a new and liberated individual.  Its ultimate creation will be a new and enduring relationship of each of us to ourselves, to other living creatures and to nature.  Our religion makes sense as a holistic and consistent philosophy.  It is both necessary and desirable. 

The practices and beliefs of our religion must be seen against a background of what has gone before.  It must be seen in light of the betrayal and disconnect of other religions in dealing with modern life.  It must be seen in light of the Corporate State and the way in which the State dominates, exploits, and ultimately destroys both nature and humans.  Its sanity and rationality must be measured against the insanity of existing reason.  Its beliefs must be seen from the perspective that humans have lost control of the machinery of their society, and only new values, a new way of thinking and a new culture can restore control. 

Our religion is a movement to bring our thinking, our society, and our lives in harmony with the revolution of technology and science that has already taken place.  It demands of us a new minda lower transcendent reason able to plug our species into its rightful place in nature.  It demands that each of us assume a new responsibility for nature and all its living creatures.   It promises a life that is more liberated, healthier and more beautiful than anything mankind has known if we only have the courage and the meekness to seize that life. 

I've drafted two books:  Holy crappers and [crap] Down and Crap Up.  My website is http://wwwholycrappers.com

Every place in this message that I use the word $h*t it changes to crap except in the title of my second one which is $h*t Down and Crap Up  It nullified my website when I attempted to do a signature. 

So can you offer any advice/guidance?  I really like this site and would like to participate and take full advantage of the opportunities you provide but I don't want to cause problems, be under suspicion or be handcuffed. 

I've been a significant blogger on Daily Kos http://www.dailykos.com/user/John%20Crapper/ which is the largest progressive blogging site in the country.

Holy [crappers] : 90%

[crap] Down and Crap Up : 80%
"If we really want to straighten out all this crap we really need to think about [crap] - Holy [crap]
John Crapper | Website

Online Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
Re: Special problems needing special answers
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 11:01:55 AM »
John,

Not to worry, you won't be handcuffed.  And trust me, the word you're asking about isn't the only word that is filtered.  We have several.

You aren't the only author to find this issue when it comes to your book titles.  Authors generally go with the flow as far as our filters.  If you use our linkmaker or author sig tool, the links will take people directly to Amazon where they can see the unfiltered book title.

There are ways around the filter when it comes to website addresses.  You can use a link shortener such as tinyurl that doesn't use the filtered word to direct people to your website.  Unfortunately, that's the only way I can think of to deal with it immediately.  For your part, you might also want to consider an alternate website address that doesn't use the filtered word and have it point to your principal website, in case you run into this problem elsewhere.

I hope this helps!

Thanks for joining KBoards.

Betsy
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline John Crapper

• Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • Holy Shitters
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2016, 11:14:57 AM »
John,

Not to worry, you won't be handcuffed.  And trust me, the word you're asking about isn't the only word that is filtered.  We have several.

Thanks!  I'll see what I can do as I learn more.  The url shortener is a great idea.  I'll play with that right away.  Problem is I pay to own the domain site.  Do you have a problem with me using $h*t when typing messages?  I really want to be sensitive to your needs and I most certainly don't want to get banned. 

"If we really want to straighten out all this crap we really need to think about [crap] - Holy [crap]
John Crapper | Website

Online telracs

• NYC
  • peace, love, justice.... and chocolate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2016, 11:47:01 AM »
Thanks!  I'll see what I can do as I learn more.  The url shortener is a great idea.  I'll play with that right away.  Problem is I pay to own the domain site.  Do you have a problem with me using $h*t when typing messages?  I really want to be sensitive to your needs and I most certainly don't want to get banned.

John, the forum is designed to be "family friendly".  If the word is part of your title, use an asterick to block out one letter (search for Kara King's posts) and you're fine.  But rather then typing what you did in your last post, can't you find a word that means similar but is not filtered (dung, manure, crap, etc)?

Offline John Crapper

• Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • Holy Shitters
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2016, 12:03:18 PM »
John, the forum is designed to be "family friendly".  If the word is part of your title, use an asterick to block out one letter (search for Kara King's posts) and you're fine.  But rather then typing what you did in your last post, can't you find a word that means similar but is not filtered (dung, manure, crap, etc)?

Thanks for the tip.  For right now I'm going to go with Sh*t only because it is so essential to my message.  It's funny really.  No problem using crap but a person can really know their Sh*t but they can never really know their crap.  So the word is associated with good things as the word crap is not.  Just one of the many inconsistencies in our world I guess.  I'll check out Kara King right now!

John Crapper | Website

Online Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2016, 12:30:40 PM »
John,

From a moderator point of view, we do prefer that people not try to work around our filters.  While you are using the word in your title, it does just encourage others to try to do the same as an everyday thing.  We quite often go in and edit posts where people try to get around the filters.  Kara King, whose book telracs cited, is a bit of a special case as p*ssy as she uses it isn't really a synonym of kitten (which our filter uses).  We do allow it, in her case, in the title of her Book Bazaar thread only.  Sorry for any confusion.

[crap] is a different situation.  If you type sh*t out and the filter replaces it with [crap] as it will, members will realize, because of the brackets, which word you actually used. 

Hope this clarifies things!

Betsy
KB Moderator
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 12:46:07 PM by Betsy the Quilter »

Offline John Crapper

• Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • Holy Shitters
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2016, 06:46:24 PM »
John,

[crap] is a different situation.  If you type sh*t out and the filter replaces it with [crap] as it will, members will realize, because of the brackets, which word you actually used. 

Hope this clarifies things!

Betsy
KB Moderator

OK: Sorry but I'm still confused.  When I type Sh*t it shows and your filters don't block it out.  If I type [crap] it blocks it our and puts crap in brackets.  So just tell me which way is preferable because I don't want to work around your filters.  I want you to tell me exactly what you want to be unproblematic. 

John Crapper | Website

Online Betsy the Quilter

• Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2016, 06:54:11 PM »
OK: Sorry but I'm still confused.  When I type Sh*t it shows and your filters don't block it out.  If I type [crap] it blocks it our and puts crap in brackets.  So just tell me which way is preferable because I don't want to work around your filters.  I want you to tell me exactly what you want to be unproblematic.

Sorry to be confusing!  I used sh*t above instead of spelling it out because if I had spelled it out, the filters would have cut in.

Please don't use sh*t or any other variation to get around our filters.  Either type the word and let the filters kick in (and our members will know which word you are really using, because of the brackets) or use a synonym.  Feel free to put a disclaimer in your posts that our filters are active. :D

We actually have a LOT of variations for the word in question in our filters; People have worked pretty hard through the years to get to use the word.

Sorry again for the confusion.

Betsy

Offline John Crapper

• Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • Holy Shitters
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2016, 07:29:06 PM »
Sorry to be confusing!  I used sh*t above instead of spelling it out because if I had spelled it out, the filters would have cut in.

Please don't use sh*t or any other variation to get around our filters.  Either type the word and let the filters kick in (and our members will know which word you are really using, because of the brackets) or use a synonym.  Feel free to put a disclaimer in your posts that our filters are active. :D

Thank you!  I can live with that.  Give the [crap] to me straight and I can live with it.  But crap is still much worse of a word than [crap].   ;)

John Crapper | Website

Offline John Crapper

• Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • Holy Shitters
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2016, 07:33:07 PM »
Thank you!  I can live with that.  Give the [crap] to me straight and I can live with it.  But crap is still much worse of a word than [crap].   ;)

BTW:  I'll work on changing things in my signature too to put things the way you want.  Thanks again!!

John Crapper | Website