Author Topic: Amazon Giveaway Tool Now Supports E-Books  (Read 2408 times)  

Offline Marseille, France or Bust

• View Profile
Amazon Giveaway Tool Now Supports E-Books
« on: March 01, 2016, 01:29:49 PM »
(Article pasted).
I'll be testing this out.
-----

Amazon Giveaway, a tool that allows sellers to run promotional giveaways, now supports e-books.

Authors that use Amazons Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP) can now create marketing campaigns and giveaways for their e-books. The tool lets an author require a reader to say follow them on Twitter or share their email address in exchange for the free e-book.

Amazon recently updated the design for the tool to make it more intuitive and added new features. For instance, every entrant that doesnt win an e-book will be offered the free sample of the prize. There are also new timing features for authors. For instance, the author can set the length of time theyd like to run the promotion for up to 30 days and can time the campaign in advance of a new release.

Patrice Williams Marks | Website/Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Newsletter | Youtube

Offline Anma Natsu

• Texas
    • View Profile
    • Anma Natsu
Re: Amazon Giveaway Tool Now Supports E-Books
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 01:44:57 PM »
I'm kind of torn between "this is awesome" and "why would I pay full cover price to give away copies of my own eBook when I can just do it for free outside of Amazon?"

Unless I missed a way to set up a giveaway other than through through the "set up a giveaway" at the bottom of the product page, giving away 10 copies would cost $50 :-/

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 01:56:18 PM »
I HOPE that is inaccurate. There would be no shipping with ebooks. We shouldn't be charged full price for the ebook. But if we are, still cheaper than $10. I'll look into.

Patrice Williams Marks | Website/Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Newsletter | Youtube

Offline RobCornell

• Michigan
  • Are you the keymaster?
    • View Profile
    • robcornellbooks.com
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 01:56:52 PM »
I'm kind of torn between "this is awesome" and "why would I pay full cover price to give away copies of my own eBook when I can just do it for free outside of Amazon?"

Unless I missed a way to set up a giveaway other than through through the "set up a giveaway" at the bottom of the product page, giving away 10 copies would cost $50 :-/

The only thing I can think of is that they'll count as paid sales and the recipients will have the "verified purchase" stamp if they choose to review it. Otherwise, yeah, it doesn't make a lot of economic sense.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2016, 01:59:14 PM »
Were you on the kindle page for your book, or the paperback page? That would make a difference.

The only thing I can think of is that they'll count as paid sales and the recipients will have the "verified purchase" stamp if they choose to review it. Otherwise, yeah, it doesn't make a lot of economic sense.

Offline Anma Natsu

• Texas
    • View Profile
    • Anma Natsu
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2016, 02:02:27 PM »
I was on the Kindle page and it said it would cost me $4.99 per copy given away.   :(  I made sure I was signed in too

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 02:03:42 PM »
Where are you getting $10 per giveaway? They just charge you for the ebook full cost and nothing else. I'm setting it up to where they have to view the book trailer to be eligible.

NOTE: You could drop the price of your book to .99 for the length of the promo, then you'd only be out of pocket .99 per book.

I was on the Kindle page and it said it would cost me $4.99 per copy given away.   :(  I made sure I was signed in too
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 02:05:36 PM by PatriceWilliamsMarks »

Offline Anma Natsu

• Texas
    • View Profile
    • Anma Natsu
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2016, 02:05:44 PM »
My earlier post said it would cost me $50 to give away 10 copies (10 x $4.99 rounded up), not that it was $10/giveaway :-)

Offline Nicholas Erik

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2016, 02:15:30 PM »
Thanks for sharing this. I think this could really be a game changer. Like Goodreads Giveaways, except you get something actually useful instead of getting buried on the "to read" list with 10,000 other titles. And the fact that you don't have to giveaway a paperback at $12 - $15/ea means it's actually affordable.

Like Patrice mentioned, you can drop the price to $0.99 and then run a giveaway. I suspect this might make the offer less enticing - but it's something to check out.

I set one up for "follows." I'm gonna try another one, too, at $0.99 - I mean hell, why not? I'll report back on how it goes.

Nick

EDIT: although I think it can only be a game changer - or have an impact - if Amazon does something, anything, to help promote the giveaway. If it's reliant on the person's existing platform, I'm not sure I really see the point. From the way they describe it after you confirm the giveaway, there's an expectation that some (most?) of the traffic is gonna come from you. In that case, as Anma Natsu pointed out, you can just run your own giveaway to Twitter/mailing list peeps etc. and save buying the book. We'll see, either way.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 02:38:50 PM by Nicholas Erik »

Offline dianapersaud

• View Profile
    • Diana Persaud
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2016, 02:49:02 PM »
So if the person is following you on Twitter, are they allowed to leave their review? Given Amazon's recent removal of reviews, I'm wondering if the "winners" will be able to leave a review...

Diana Persaud | My Website

Offline usedtocare

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2016, 03:49:17 PM »
I saw that today too & got all excited, since I think lots of people who won't sign up for a mailing list will click the "follow" button on Amazon. But also wondering how much Amazon will promote the giveaway, because like others said, if it's just me doing all the promo then I might as well do it on my Facebook page for free.  ::)

Offline Violet Haze

• USA
    • View Profile
    • Author Violet Haze
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2016, 04:00:01 PM »
I've done a paperback giveaway on Amazon before with no promotion on my end -- it was over in less than a day, so they promote them somewhere. This is actually really neat, I was wondering if they would put in the option to do eBooks! I may give it a shot to see what happens, using the follow me on my Amazon page option. If it works well with say 4 prizes, 1 in 1000 chance of winning, that could be a lot of potential new fans. Of course, it could bomb too so we'll see. :D
I am autistic. If something I've said is unclear, please just ask. Thank you. :)
Violet Haze | Website | Twitter | Facebook Page | G+ | Newsletter | Vellum eBook & Paperback Formatting

Offline Jenny Schwartz

• Australia
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2016, 05:10:17 PM »
I got all excited. Then got this message:

This account may not purchase licenses for this product due country or region restrictions. Please check your country settings and try again.

*sigh* sometimes being an Aussie ain't easy.

Jenny Schwartz | Website | Twitter | Facebook

Offline suzieq

• Boise, ID
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2016, 05:45:21 PM »
This must be brand new because I did a giveaway about two weeks ago when it was still limited to paperbacks. To say I'm dissatisfied is a gross understatement.

After I set it up for 1 winner out of the first 300 entries, I got an email acknowledging that the giveaway period would run for a week. It seems to me that this would mean the giveaway would close in a week or when 300 people signed up, whichever came first. Instead, less than 24 hours later, I got an email saying the giveaway was closed (after only 17 sign-ups) because the book had been "claimed." Yes, I contacted Amazon. The support rep kicked it up to be investigated. I just got the final resolution which amounts to "too bad, so sad."

So I paid retail price for my createspace version (and we all know those aren't cheap) and feel like I've been scammed.

I guess my point is: Proceed with caution.

Suzie Quint | facebook

Offline memememe

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2016, 05:48:41 PM »
Can I choose to "giveaway" to a specific person, or to only my list?

Offline Nicholas Erik

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2016, 12:16:26 PM »
Well...thus far, I must say "gamechanger" was hyperbolic on my part. Think I got a little excited.

I'm running a giveaway for 5 copies of an omnibus (boxed set) that retails for $5.99. Have 0 entrants thus far. This book has been out for a year and half and only has three reviews with a 3.5 average, and might sell one copy a month on its own, so it's likely not terribly enticing.

Other things:

-I made the giveaway 15 days. This might be too long.
-I chose Amazon follows.
-I chose the option for 1 out of 100 people to win. This could be too many.

I'm running another giveaway for a book that just came out on the 1st - in a series that is more popular with readers. Adjustments:

-Giving away 10 copies instead of 5.
-Making it 3 days instead of 15.
-Making it 1 out of 50 shot instead of 1 out of 100.
-book has 6 reviews with a 4.3 average

We'll see if that does anything.

Nick

Offline suzieq

• Boise, ID
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2016, 02:04:33 PM »
Be sure to keep us posted, Nick.

Suzie Quint | facebook

Offline FionnJameson

• China!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2016, 03:09:46 PM »
I, too, would like to know your results, Nick, and have bookmarked the page for further...examination?

Offline Nicholas Erik

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2016, 05:32:52 PM »
Apparently you're supposed to share this stuff on Twitter with the hashtag #AmazonGiveaway and that kickstarts things.

I'm not gonna do that, for now, just to see if Amazon drives any traffic on their own. If they expire, I'll relist and try it with the hashtag.

Nick

Offline Nicholas Erik

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2016, 12:47:49 PM »
Update, as requested:

Giveaway #2 ended. Here's a refresher on the key stats:

I'm running another giveaway for a book that just came out on the 1st - in a series that is more popular with readers. Adjustments:

-Giving away 10 copies instead of 5.
-Making it 3 days instead of 15.
-Making it 1 out of 50 shot instead of 1 out of 100.
-book has 6 reviews with a 4.3 average

Results: zero entries. I did no promotion. I mean NO promotion - no tweets, no email list mention. No one knew the link except for me. Zero entries.

Thus, I can only conclude that Amazon does NOT promote it on their own. While somewhat discouraging, I am going to re-run the giveaway and do the following:

1) make a new Twitter account with zero followers and tweet the link w/ #AmazonGiveaway
2) promote it on giveaway sites.

In addition, for giveaway #1, which runs until the 16th (and also has zero entries/zero promotion), I'm added a $5 ad on Giveaway Promote (giveawaypromote.com). We'll see if that does anything and people want random eBooks, or if they only give a [crap] about free Kindles and such.

Nick

Offline Nicholas Erik

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2016, 07:00:28 PM »
Final update, for the curious:

I created a brand new Twitter account with no followers. I did not follow anyone or do anything. I just tweeted out about the book along with #AmazonGiveaway.

I tried this for two books - a box set by me and an adventure novels by one of my authors.

174 entries (box) and 161 (single book). In ~2 days or so.

Cost: $14.85 for 15 copies of the box, $9.90 for 10 copies of the book. No paid promo. Nothing else besides 1 tweet for each, from an account that I created 1 minute before tweeting. Whole thing took about 15 minutes.

Also ran a $5 ad for another giveaway on Giveaway Promote (giveawaypromote.com) for another box set, this a complete trilogy of books. Got 7 entries on that contest over the past 2 - 3 days. Still running. Maybe one of their more expensive ad options would be better; this one doesn't include a picture of the book cover, which strikes me as kind of important.

I have no idea if these Amazon follows are worth anything, since there's a chance people are just entering contests willy-nilly, and thus receive approximately 6,000 new release emails a day from 'zon, but, yeah - that's what happened. I'll probably start a thread at some point after I get an idea what the follows actually do, and whether this is cost-effective at all - and compare it to other stuff like KingSumo et al.

Nick
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 07:02:36 PM by Nicholas Erik »

Offline farrago

• Texas
  • A traveler of the good earth. Reader of books.
    • View Profile
    • Accent on Romance
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2016, 11:12:13 PM »
An amazon rep told me today you can run a giveaway on our ebooks even when it is priced FREE. So that is no cost. Many of my colleagues and I run those giveaways:  1 winner in very 254 entrants or 1 winner in every 300 entrants. One author does 1 winner in 500. She nails it. Amazon has a giveaway Page that is very popular. I usually scheduled two tweets. And that's it. Amazon does not promote the giveaway. Amazon just provides the vehicle.

Offline Mark E. Cooper

• Essex, England
    • View Profile
    • Impulse Books UK
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2016, 11:19:46 PM »
Am I correct that this is still US authors only? Last time I checked, I can't do anything with this.

Offline Ebook Itch

• View Profile
    • Ebook Itch
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2016, 11:23:54 PM »
We've run some experiments with the new eBook option for Amazon Giveaways. From what we've seen, the Twitter followers are mostly sweepstakes folks - i.e. not very valuable unless you want a high number of followers for vanity or to appear big. We helped an author get around 500 Amazon follows so far by spending around $20 or so on Facebook to throw some targeted traffic at the Amazon Giveaway page.

We wish you could embed the Giveaway on another website, but that would probably be abused by a lot of people somehow. We also wish Amazon let us know how many followers an author has currently. Are they trying to avoid having people try to raise it just for vanity reasons? Or they just don't want to share the information?

Without knowing the number, it's hard to know if the author actually got any entrants even with follow Author X on Amazon as a requirement. After she publishes her next book, we'll be able to see if there's a bigger boost when Amazon sends out a promo email for her pen name - usually about seven days after publication with enough sales in first few days.

Our overall thoughts: Mixed! Be sure to have traffic to send to the Giveaway and/or buy some from a reputable source.
Check out the eBook Itch Romance Newsletters. Over 7,500 subscribers so far.

Offline Moist_Tissue

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2016, 11:50:49 PM »
Would it be ethical or unethical to giveaway a highly ranked book or movie that wasn't yours?

Example: You write a book about Catholic Priests who have been exposed as sexual deviants. You run a giveaway on the movie Spotlight and connect your book to that movie.
The Molly Malones: 100%

Siuil a Run: 100%

To The Valley's Edge: 0%
Siobhn Babhar