Author Topic: Does Using Vellum reduce pages read in KU?  (Read 488 times)  

Offline Timid Extrovert

• View Profile
Does Using Vellum reduce pages read in KU?
« on: March 15, 2018, 07:03:25 AM »
I just started using Vellum (literally yesterday), and after formatting my first novel, I noticed something. I uploaded Vellum's converted MOBI file to Amazon, and saw at the top right of the preview page that the numbers for location were vastly different. I originally uploaded the book in a .doc file, which clocked in at a total of 8359. With the new Vellum file, it's only at 5826. Does anyone know if this newly converted format will also reduce the number of pages read in Kindle Unlimited?

Offline Mark Gardner

• Arizona, USA
    • View Profile
    • Article 94
Re: Does Using Vellum reduce pages read in KU?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 07:10:37 AM »
I suggest regenerating a mobi with spacing and text size maxed out, and see if the location count increases.

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 07:24:46 AM »
My experience is that Vellum slightly increases pages read in KU. For instance, one of my books went from 503 to 578.

The size difference you're citing sounds odd to me. Is there a file size difference as well? Something may have gone amiss during conversion.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline Timid Extrovert

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 08:50:38 AM »
I've tried regenerating the MOBI file, and the location size won't increase. But the file size is still close to the original .doc file I uploaded. On Amazon, the file size is listed at 1444 kb, and the MOBI on my computer is 1504 kb.   

Online Germanikus

• View Profile
    • autor-germanikus.com
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 11:20:36 AM »
There are different algorithms at work. The pages shown on Amazon for Ebooks (if there is no print version) has also their own algorithm als will the location number have. I hope you noted your KENP. Will be interesting and more important to see what the algorithms thinks about the new KENP rate.

Online MelanieCellier

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 05:33:01 PM »
Did you actually go ahead and publish the new version to Amazon or did you stop at the previewer? Publishing to Amazon is the only way to be sure how many KENPC (Kindle Edition Normalized Page Count, or the number of pages counted for a full read) the new version will give you. It used to vary a lot, but from what I've seen, Amazon seem to have standardized it much more now. I'd be surprised if you saw a significant drop from your Vellum file. (You can see your KENPC in your kdp dashboard.) Just make sure you note what it is now before you upload the new version! :)

Melanie Cellier | Website | Facebook

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac