NetGalley

Poll

What is the software that you use the most to write your book with?

Microsoft Word
LibreOffice/OpenOffice
Scrivener
Apple Pages
Google Docs
Markdown text editor
Other (Mobile app, transcribing, etc.)

Author Topic: Which software do you use for writing your book?  (Read 9626 times)  

Offline PJ_Cherubino

• View Profile
    • P.J. Cherubino Blog
Re: What software do you use to write your book?
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2016, 06:25:22 PM »
Over 270 members voted over here:

http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,198332.msg2792963.html

Scrivener and Word won by a landslide.

The category for "word processor" included all word processors... of course it would win by a landslide.

I am a linux guy and use LibreOffice. The more I hear about Scrivener, the more I want to try it.

I see only a handful of folks here talking about using LibreOffice. I mainly use it because I'm cheap but find the program to he very powerful.

P. Joseph Cherubino | PJC Blog | PJC On Facebook | PJC on Twitter

Offline Moist_Tissue

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2016, 06:34:41 PM »
I use Scrivener for writing. I was using Scrivener for formatting, but I can't get it to work properly. Every time. So, I'm going to use that Mac In Cloud function then use Vallum.
The Molly Malones: 100%

Siuil a Run: 100%

To The Valley's Edge: 0%
Siobhn Babhar

Offline KGorman

• Taichung, Taiwan
    • View Profile
    • KGorman.ca
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2016, 07:11:17 PM »
I use Scrivener, compile it to a doc when the second draft is done, edit for a bit in Open Office, then send to the editor.

Editor gets it back, I make changes to the doc in Open Office, send to proofreader, get it back, make more changes, then copy and paste back into the Scrivener file for formatting.

If I'm on my Netbook, I use Open Office for writing.

Offline Mari Oliver

• Alaska
  • Bitty prawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2016, 07:26:00 PM »
Google docs, baby. Love that it's free. :)

Offline Alan Petersen

• San Francisco, CA
  • I write high octane thrillers.
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Action Thrillers from Alan Petersen
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2016, 07:38:07 PM »
I cringed when I read this topic, because I probably write in the most complicated way possible. I start in scrivener, and when everything is pretty gelled I move to pages, and finally Vellum (love Vellum <3 )

Actually, that's more normal than you think. I do the same. I research, outline, and write on Scrivener. When I'm done, I compile it into a Word doc since that's what my editor and proofreaders use, and I just stay on Word until the final MS is ready which I then import into Vellum for the ebook formatting.

Alan Petersen | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Newsletter | Podcast

AnmaNatsu

« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2016, 08:38:38 PM »
I cringed when I read this topic, because I probably write in the most complicated way possible. I start in scrivener, and when everything is pretty gelled I move to pages, and finally Vellum (love Vellum <3 )

That isn't that unusual :-)

I do all of my first draft in Scrivener, use Word to make my revision make, do the revision itself in Scrivener, then back to work for beta/editing, and formatting.  For the print, Word is final stop.  For eBooks, export to Filtered HTML and open in Dreamweaver, clean, make it pretty, then into Calibre for eBook generation :-D

Offline SunshineOnMe

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2016, 09:22:13 PM »
Anma and Alan! Thank you! :D :D I'm not alone!

Offline Mark Fassett

• Western Wa
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2016, 10:18:38 PM »
I use StoryBox. Who woulda thunk it?

Offline boh

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2016, 10:40:11 PM »
I use StoryBox. Who woulda thunk it?
StoryBox seems interesting. Have you tried all of the software above before using StoryBox.

Offline Mark Fassett

• Western Wa
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2016, 11:50:21 PM »
StoryBox seems interesting. Have you tried all of the software above before using StoryBox.

I never tried Ulysses. I tried Scrivener back in 2009 when I got a mac for work, but most of my computers are Windows computers, and I much prefer Windows to OSX. Back then, Scrivener didn't exist for Windows. I also tried yWriter, Liquid Story Binder, and a host of others. As for single document word processors like Word, they only work for me if I'm writing something short. Figuring out where you are starts to become a pain with long documents, unless you break them up (which I did back in the '90s when I was writing on an Amiga 500), but then file management becomes a chore.

Of course, the real reason I use StoryBox is because I know the guy that makes it. ;)

Offline AngryGames

• Boise, ID
  • Stoner Fiction Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • AngryGames
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2016, 02:01:09 AM »
Some believe Scrivener is just distracting with features you will never even use, or is it actually helping you write your books faster.

I use maybe 5% of Scrivener's features. If that. It's not distracting. If anything, it's far superior (for me, anyway) because of how it separates your work space into (up to) 3 different elements (Binder for chapters, manuscript for writing, notes to keep track of your characters/locations/plots, all on the same screen).

Travis Hill | Author Website | Blog | Twitter | Goodreads

Offline Jeff Tanyard

• Georgia
  • Wait and hope.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2016, 02:12:30 AM »
I use OpenOffice.  Similar to LibreOffice, but not exactly the same.  It's not an option in the poll, so I voted "other."
            v  v  v   Short Stories   v  v  v                   Anthology       vvv FREE! vvv

Jeff Tanyard | Author Website

Offline Crenel

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2016, 03:21:30 AM »
Whatever text editor is available, documents in plain text with minimal Markdown. When the writing and editing is done, pandoc generates ePUB (which I touch up in Sigil) for the e-book edition and ODT (or DOCX) for preparing the print edition.
You can find books by me (Stuart Whitmore) on my author web site.

Notepad++ is awesome!

Offline Chrissy

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2016, 03:28:26 AM »
The category for "word processor" included all word processors... of course it would win by a landslide.

I am a linux guy and use LibreOffice. The more I hear about Scrivener, the more I want to try it.

I see only a handful of folks here talking about using LibreOffice. I mainly use it because I'm cheap but find the program to be very powerful.

There's a linux version of Scrivener available for free from the software makers. Give it a try :)

https://www.literatureandlatte.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=32709&sid=aefb1b6195118a97ae1801820cf24b39#p205698

Offline PJ_Cherubino

• View Profile
    • P.J. Cherubino Blog
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2016, 03:34:15 AM »

P. Joseph Cherubino | PJC Blog | PJC On Facebook | PJC on Twitter

Offline Margaret M

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2016, 05:38:42 AM »
I like to keep it super simple, so I just use Word.
Same.

Margaret Mal

Offline TheLass

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2016, 06:17:06 AM »
I started using Scrivener a few months ago.  It's a brilliant program.  I still use Word for short projects (picture books) and notepad for ideas.

Offline Hans Cummings

• Indianapolis, IN
    • View Profile
    • Hans Cummings, author
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2016, 06:41:18 AM »
I use yWriter* by Spacejock Software for the first draft, then pull it into MS Word for editing/revisions. I do final e-book layout in Word, but I do my print layout in InDesign. If they ever get the Kindle plug-in working for InDesign CC, I'll use that for e-book layout, too.

* It's similar to Scrivener from what I understand, but yWriter is free.

Offline Craig Martelle

• Fairbanks, Alaska
    • View Profile
    • Craig Martelle, Official Author Page
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2016, 06:45:48 AM »
Word. Formatting odd components is tough in word. I wouldn't use it if I had graphics or other artwork within the pages. I've published a couple books with pictures and used MS Publisher for those, but would never use that for a novel.

Sorry, been using Microsoft products forever. Tried to switch to a Mac since my wife is a University Professor, but I couldn't do it and quickly switched back. dir/w
End Times Alaska - Trilogy : 75%

Free Trader Series Book 4 - Battle for the Amazon: 5%
Read and unleash the power of your imagination.
Craig Martelle | Blog | Facebook | Web

Offline CASD57

• Idaho
    • View Profile
    • Live The Dream
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2016, 06:50:35 AM »
Scrivener
Word
Jutoh

in that order

C.A. Dayhoff | Current Projects

Online PaulineMRoss

• Nairn, Scotland
    • View Profile
    • The Brightmoon Annals
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2016, 07:18:25 AM »
Another Scrivener user here. I love having all my notes right there alongside the book text, and it's easy to make beta and ARC versions in a variety of formats. No, I don't use much more than 10% of the features, but I know they're there if I ever develop a need for them. I've never yet thought: I wonder if I can...? and found out that no, I can't. It's powerful stuff.

I export to Word for proofreading, formatting and upload to KDP. Why? My proofreader wants it in Word, and there's no point in going back to Scrivener after that. Also, I find the final formatting easier in Word.

Pauline M. Ross (epic fantasy) Website | Mary Kingswood (Regency romances) Website 
Bookbub status: 2 for 70

Offline Jim Johnson

• Alexandria, VA
  • Storyteller and Cat Minion
    • View Profile
    • Ineti Press
« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2016, 07:44:00 AM »
I write my drafts on an Alphasmart Neo and then import the files into Scrivener for revision and finalizing.

Offline boh

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2016, 03:19:09 PM »
It seems slight majority here prefer to use Scrivener, especially for longer writing projects.
Has there been any problems with Scrivener, like did it ever crash on you in the midst of your work.

Offline Jill Nojack

• Sixth Circle
  • Introverts Unite (Separately)
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2016, 04:02:09 PM »
I use Scrivener but was just forced into the update because I needed to install it on my new Windows tablet and they didn't have the previous version available for install.

Now, I can't zoom the size of the text on any of my PCs or devices (all Windows) in my current project. That means I can't see the text size well enough anymore, unless I go through and redo the font in every section in my current project to something huge. Doesn't seem worth the hassle.

Fortunately, I'm at a point where I can spit it out into Word for editing, but it looks like I will have to go back to Ywriter for future projects unless I find out it's only happening in converted projects. I won't wear reading glasses while I work.

They don't do much in the way of updates with Scrivener. Bugs just go on forever. And this isn't one that it easy for me to live with.

THE FAMILIAR and THE INNOCENT DEAD are Kindle Scout Winners |  Jillnojack.com

Offline benlovejoy

• London, England
  • Technothriller author
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2016, 04:06:16 PM »
It seems slight majority here prefer to use Scrivener, especially for longer writing projects.
Has there been any problems with Scrivener, like did it ever crash on you in the midst of your work.

No, and a crash shouldn't cause any problems anyway, because the default setting is for it to autosave every few seconds.