Poll

What is the software that you use the most to write your book with?

Microsoft Word
LibreOffice/OpenOffice
Scrivener
Apple Pages
Google Docs
Markdown text editor
Other (Mobile app, transcribing, etc.)

Author Topic: Which software do you use for writing your book?  (Read 9675 times)  

Offline Trans-Human

• Southeast Europe
  • Cat-2-Human Trans-Zoa. My prefered pronouns: Meow!
    • View Profile
    • ... A Writer After Dark
Re: What software do you use to write your book?
« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2016, 04:48:35 PM »
Novel Factory and Scrivener.
Genres: Science Fiction / Fantasy / Horror / Superhero

Project 1: 28%

Project 2: 18%
Works in Progress ^^^:
A Writer After Dark | About.Me | Twitter | Google+

Offline CASD57

• Idaho
    • View Profile
    • Live The Dream
« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2016, 06:52:53 PM »
It seems slight majority here prefer to use Scrivener, especially for longer writing projects.
Has there been any problems with Scrivener, like did it ever crash on you in the midst of your work.

YES...I had a major problem with it freezing and losing what I had wrote before the freeze.... Went on their forum did some reading and figured out that Scrivener didn't like running with the two Anti-Virus programs I was running at the time.. Avast and 360
So I changed to Panda and haven't had a problem since...

So yes it isn't perfect but it's a great program... and Ywriter5-6 is also .. It's really up to you and how you click with each one..
Another freebie is Quoll Writer.. which isn't as complicated as the other two but is equally nice, I like that is gives you your readability index  and more

C.A. Dayhoff | Current Projects

Offline Sailor Stone

• Vote for Pedro.
    • View Profile
    • Sailorstone.com
« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2016, 07:37:49 PM »
Pages for drafts and Pressbooks.com for creating the digital files in .epub, mobi and pdf. Can't recommend Pressbooks highly enough!

I do the exact same thing. Press books is amazing. I'm surprised I don't see more references to Pressbooks on this forum. Perhaps they should do like Vellum and start an ongoing thread.

Sailor Stone | web page | facebook

Offline Seshenet

• Seattle
  • Writer, editor and ancient Egypt aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2016, 07:50:39 PM »

I do the exact same thing. Press books is amazing. I'm surprised I don't see more references to Pressbooks on this forum. Perhaps they should do like Vellum and start an ongoing thread.

Thanks for the Pressbooks link. It looks like it might be the thing for me. I got Scrivener during a $25 sale, but something about the user interface just doesn't work for me. Maybe when I do more world building it will be more useful to me. Right now I use Word. I've used Word for so many years personally and professionally that it's second nature to me.

Online Alan Petersen

• San Francisco, CA
  • I write high octane thrillers.
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Action Thrillers from Alan Petersen
« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2016, 10:47:45 PM »
Pages for drafts and Pressbooks.com for creating the digital files in .epub, mobi and pdf. Can't recommend Pressbooks highly enough!
I've never heard of Pressbooks before, thanks for the info. Do you use it to compile CreateSpace ready PDFs? That's the one piece Vellum is missing. It would be awesome if Pressbooks could generate the CreateSpace piece of it!

Alan Petersen | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Newsletter | Podcast

Offline MichaelBlackbourn

• View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2016, 11:26:21 PM »
Chromebook with the Calmly Writer Chrome App. It's a distraction free typerwriter style program (Like IAwriter for IOS)

You can give it a try with the online version here:
http://www.calmlywriter.com/online/

Offline Todd Young

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2016, 12:13:38 AM »
I don't use half the features it has to offer, but I use Scrivener and would recommend it to anyone. The fact that you can have everything organised on one screen is enough.

Offline The Bass Bagwhan

• Western Australia
  • Horror & Urban Fantasy... I think.
    • View Profile
    • Graeme Hague
« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2016, 01:47:39 AM »
I use Scrivener, compile it to a doc when the second draft is done, edit for a bit in Open Office, then send to the editor.

Editor gets it back, I make changes to the doc in Open Office, send to proofreader, get it back, make more changes, then copy and paste back into the Scrivener file for formatting.

If I'm on my Netbook, I use Open Office for writing.

Can I ask if Open Office (Write or is it Writer?) has Track Changes similar to Word? Thanks!
Author, freelance writer and editor, professional musician, recording engineer... published in Australia, the UK and Germany. So why am I poor? Oh, wait...
I'll be a writer... seemed like a good idea at the time

Offline Sandy Raven

• Central Virginia
  • Historical Romance Author
    • View Profile
    • SandyRaven.com
« Reply #58 on: March 15, 2016, 02:25:49 AM »
You know that you can do your print book with Pages, right?

No! Tell me more. I've been man-handling my file (after writing in Scrivener,) into a word doc, then I take THAT .doc file and work it into a pdf for CreateSpace. If I could avoid Word altogether I would.
Fated Love: 100%

Healing Harry: 80%

Waltz with a Dark Lord: 15%
Author of The Caversham Chronicles
Sandy Raven | Facebook | Website | Twitter

Offline AngryGames

• Boise, ID
  • Stoner Fiction Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • AngryGames
« Reply #59 on: March 15, 2016, 03:25:40 AM »
It seems slight majority here prefer to use Scrivener, especially for longer writing projects.
Has there been any problems with Scrivener, like did it ever crash on you in the midst of your work.

Never had it crash in 4 years (Word, on the other hand... *sigh*).

Thankfully the autosave feature is just as good as Word. I've never lost a single character of text in 4 years.

Now... my Alphasmart Dana on the other hand... it's a finicky beast if you try to delete too much text at once with the backspace (which ends up corrupting the entire file, which ends with me grabbing a hammer but regaining my composure 1/3 of a second before smashing it into plastic and silicon dust).

Travis Hill | Author Website | Blog | Twitter | Goodreads

Offline PJ_Cherubino

• View Profile
    • P.J. Cherubino Blog
« Reply #60 on: March 15, 2016, 03:52:14 AM »
Can I ask if Open Office (Write or is it Writer?) has Track Changes similar to Word? Thanks!

Yes. It's called "Writer" in OpenOffice and LibreOffice. Track changes is a feature.

Here is a decent article describing the differences between OpenOffice and LibreOffice.

http://www.datamation.com/open-source/libreoffice-vs.-openoffice-why-libreoffice-wins-1.html

Disclaimer: I am a cheerleader for LibreOffice.
I've used both and prefer LibreOffice. The differences between the two are few, but IMHO LibreOffice is different where it really counts.

P. Joseph Cherubino | PJC Blog | PJC On Facebook | PJC on Twitter

Offline ameliasmith

• View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #61 on: March 15, 2016, 06:21:59 AM »

I've used both and prefer LibreOffice. The differences between the two are few, but IMHO LibreOffice is different where it really counts.

Same for me. I was on OpenOffice but my newer computer came with Libre Office, which I'd heard was better anyway.

I use LibreOffice to format my print books and have been happy with the results. Once you figure out how to manipulate the formatting, you can really do a lot with it.

I use Jutoh to format ebooks, so far.

Amelia Smith | My Website

Offline Jim Johnson

• Alexandria, VA
  • Storyteller and Cat Minion
    • View Profile
    • Ineti Press
« Reply #62 on: March 15, 2016, 06:37:03 AM »

Nope, no crashes or other issues. As mentioned above, Scrivener automatically makes backups so losing work should be rare. And a project file can contain a lot of data. My P&P series project file has nine novellas worth of text in it plus about half that much more in notes. And no sign of performance loss.

Offline Glynn Stewart

• Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Faolan's Pen
« Reply #63 on: March 15, 2016, 08:07:16 AM »
Write in Word.
Prepare Kindle files and upload in Word (not even in filtered HTML, straight up .docx. Have had zero issues with formatting etc. with the final file, and was almost completely unaffected by the KENPC 2.0 change)
Prepare print files and upload in Word. Couple of minor glitches while I learned the ropes, but producing solid interior files now.

When I have one tool that organically and relatively easily does everything, why would I change? XD

(I'm tempted by Vellum for ebook formatting though.  Keep hearing good things, and we have two Macs in the house)

Glynn Stewart | Faolan's Pen (Blog) | Twitter

Offline JR.

• View Profile
    • jrarmstrong.co
« Reply #64 on: March 15, 2016, 09:16:57 AM »
I use Scrivener but was just forced into the update because I needed to install it on my new Windows tablet and they didn't have the previous version available for install.

Now, I can't zoom the size of the text on any of my PCs or devices (all Windows) in my current project. That means I can't see the text size well enough anymore, unless I go through and redo the font in every section in my current project to something huge. Doesn't seem worth the hassle.

Fortunately, I'm at a point where I can spit it out into Word for editing, but it looks like I will have to go back to Ywriter for future projects unless I find out it's only happening in converted projects. I won't wear reading glasses while I work.

They don't do much in the way of updates with Scrivener. Bugs just go on forever. And this isn't one that it easy for me to live with.

ctrl +

Or 'view' > 'zoom'

Offline Jill Nojack

• Sixth Circle
  • Introverts Unite (Separately)
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 15, 2016, 11:35:28 AM »

ctrl +

Or 'view' > 'zoom'

Yes, you are correct. That is the functionality that doesn't work in my converted documents.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 11:40:07 AM by Jill Nojack »

THE FAMILIAR and THE INNOCENT DEAD are Kindle Scout Winners |  Jillnojack.com

Offline J.R.Mooneyham

• View Profile
    • J.R. Mooneyham Books: Action, Adventure, and Science Fiction
« Reply #66 on: March 15, 2016, 11:40:12 AM »
LibreOffice for writing, Photoshop Elements for cover, Firefox browser and Google for research, grammar rules, definitions, synonyms, etc.

Oh, and Windows 7 OS, too.

Offline PJ_Cherubino

• View Profile
    • P.J. Cherubino Blog
« Reply #67 on: March 15, 2016, 12:03:15 PM »
Same for me. I was on OpenOffice but my newer computer came with Libre Office, which I'd heard was better anyway.

I use LibreOffice to format my print books and have been happy with the results. Once you figure out how to manipulate the formatting, you can really do a lot with it.

I use Jutoh to format ebooks, so far.

Yup. Once I figured out page styles and alternate page formatting, I was able to start page numbering at arbitrary parts of the manuscript. That was vital to formatting for Createspace.

Getting there was maddening, but getting a handle on how styles work in general really opened up new worlds. I have templates for ebooks and print books that I can copy plaintext into and create perfectly formatted manuscripts in minutes. Pretty cool.

Can't beat the price either.

LibreOffice seems to produce very clean documents for Caibre to work with. I had a lot of trouble saving from LibreOffice to doc, then exporting that Doc to PDF, so I work in the .odf format exclusively as a master document, then  save as whatever other document format is necessary.

Anyway, I I don't want to derail the thread any further.

P. Joseph Cherubino | PJC Blog | PJC On Facebook | PJC on Twitter

Offline harker.roland

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 15, 2016, 12:13:19 PM »
You missed Ulysses. I switched from Scrivener to Ulysses because I mostly write on my iPad. And when I tried to use something (different ones) on iPad with Scrivener on Mac, it just didn't work that well for me. But I do have old stuff in Scrivener.

I do wish the Scrivener iOS app would fnally emerge from Vaporware.
Ghosts & Grades 2 (COMPLETE - AVAIL 9/27): 100%

Ghosts & Grades 3 (First Draft): 18%

Untitled Space Odyssey (1st Draft) 100%
Little Miss Publishing | Facebook

Offline @Suzanna

• Canada
  • Living in the past.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 15, 2016, 12:29:44 PM »
I outline and draft in Scrivener, but then use Word for edits. I format my ebooks in Jutoh and my print books in Word.

Online Alan Petersen

• San Francisco, CA
  • I write high octane thrillers.
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Action Thrillers from Alan Petersen
« Reply #70 on: March 15, 2016, 02:21:38 PM »
I do wish the Scrivener iOS app would fnally emerge from Vaporware.
Although they promised only world annihilation would prevent the Scrivener iOS version like three years ago, supposedly it's now coming for real. Development was brought in-house, so we shall see.

Alan Petersen | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Newsletter | Podcast

Offline The Bass Bagwhan

• Western Australia
  • Horror & Urban Fantasy... I think.
    • View Profile
    • Graeme Hague
« Reply #71 on: March 15, 2016, 03:32:43 PM »
Yes. It's called "Writer" in OpenOffice and LibreOffice. Track changes is a feature.

Here is a decent article describing the differences between OpenOffice and LibreOffice.

http://www.datamation.com/open-source/libreoffice-vs.-openoffice-why-libreoffice-wins-1.html

Cheers, thanks for this. The reason I ask is that I'm about to buy a new PC and wondered if it was worth updating my Word 2007 or alternatively look at Open Office and (now) Libreoffice. Research suggests that Word 2007 has hardly been progressed anyway in its latest incarnations, but there are a few Word functions that bug me. A problem is that I edit for other writers too using that Track Changes feature and it's a question of whether Libreoffice documents saved or exported as .docx will correctly display any Track Changes data in a client's Word software. I guess I can experiment. Thanks again.
Author, freelance writer and editor, professional musician, recording engineer... published in Australia, the UK and Germany. So why am I poor? Oh, wait...
I'll be a writer... seemed like a good idea at the time

Offline Gessert Books

• Amarillo, Texas
  • Book Layout and Formatting by Phillip Gessert
    • View Profile
    • Gessert Books: Book Layout and Formatting
« Reply #72 on: March 15, 2016, 03:53:33 PM »
Whatever text editor is available, documents in plain text with minimal Markdown. When the writing and editing is done, pandoc generates ePUB (which I touch up in Sigil) for the e-book edition and ODT (or DOCX) for preparing the print edition.

This is a pretty cool workflow from a formatting standpoint. I'm actually working a project right now where I pandoc'd my HTML file back into a Word DOC so the author can make some broad content changes, and will pandoc it right back again when he's done.

Offline benlovejoy

• London, England
  • Technothriller author
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 15, 2016, 10:44:42 PM »
Although they promised only world annihilation would prevent the Scrivener iOS version like three years ago, supposedly it's now coming for real. Development was brought in-house, so we shall see.
Yep, Keith wrote it himself in the end: http://www.literatureandlatte.com/blog/?p=658

Offline oakwood

• Scandinavia
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 15, 2016, 11:10:16 PM »
I use
Libre Office
Scrivener
Google Docs

If you want a 99% MS office compatible free alternative, Libre Office is in my opinion a better choice than Open Office simply because LO has a more active community and gets updates right. Libre Office has track changes and comments that export successfully to Word format if you need to share with an editor etc.

Scrivener needs no introduction. I use it for the whole writing process but find its main strength is in the early stages when I create a tree view of different scenes and do initial plotting.

Google docs for the world! I'm surprised to see so few using Google Docs. I use it al the time while on the run, because:
1) works on any device - I often do quick writing on my phone, from a library, lobby computer when on travel etc
2) works offline like a regular program, you don't need an active web connection when writing, just sync later
3) has a very good voice-to-text dictation function (free) which is realy good at deducting sentence structure. I do lots of dictation (mainly pot ideas etc) on my phone with it.
4) supports track changes and comments. if you receive a wrod doc from your editor and load it into Gdocs, the notations convert successfully
5) while the main view in Gdocs is still and endless list of documents, you also have catalog & folder navigation - once you start to use that (often overlooked) it all starts to come together as a viable writing environment
6) compared to all other programs in the poll, Gdocs is the only contender when it comes to active collaboration. You can write in realtime with another user in the shared document reading / commenting / also writing in real time.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekn-jXNQcqc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekn-jXNQcqc</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMUJOxtQRe4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMUJOxtQRe4</a>