mblart

Poll

What is the software that you use the most to write your book with?

Microsoft Word
LibreOffice/OpenOffice
Scrivener
Apple Pages
Google Docs
Markdown text editor
Other (Mobile app, transcribing, etc.)

Author Topic: Which software do you use for writing your book?  (Read 9627 times)  

Offline Usedtoposthere

• View Profile
Re: What software do you use to write your book?
« Reply #75 on: March 16, 2016, 12:23:30 AM »
Word. I write out of order a lot, but it doesn't matter. I have the book in my head, and I always work with the Navigation Pane open and title my chapters, so if a chapter comes later, there it is down there, with its title.

If it's got any kind of complex timeline, I just put the date as the first thing on the chapter title, so I can run down the timeline on the nav pane also. Then delete those before I finalize.

I sometimes have a separate document with notes (for which I also use styles so I can see the topics on the navigation pane), or I just put a few notes, names, etc. in the front of the main doc.

I can't imagine what I'd use something like Scrivener for.

Offline CASD57

• Idaho
    • View Profile
    • Live The Dream
« Reply #76 on: March 16, 2016, 05:53:08 AM »
How do you add an image ? I was going to show my Scrivener setup..(How I use It)

C.A. Dayhoff | Current Projects

Offline benlovejoy

• London, England
  • Technothriller author
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 16, 2016, 06:52:29 AM »
Just put it online somewhere and link to it using the photo icon (next to YouTube).

Offline boh

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 17, 2016, 05:41:04 AM »
Has anyone used mobile applications for writing purposes, or strictly writing on the computer only.

Offline Crenel

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 17, 2016, 06:15:54 AM »
Has anyone used mobile applications for writing purposes, or strictly writing on the computer only.

I frequently write on a mobile device, but I'm a text editor user, so that just means using a text editor on the device. As an Android user, I found Droid Edit Pro suitable for this, although I wish it had a word count feature. Since plain text files don't lock me in to software, I can always change to a different editor without changing my files at all.
You can find books by me (Stuart Whitmore) on my author web site.

Notepad++ is awesome!

Offline PJ_Cherubino

• View Profile
    • P.J. Cherubino Blog
« Reply #80 on: March 17, 2016, 07:35:48 AM »

I do light edits on Google Docs on my Galaxy 5. It's too difficult to do long writing because the app is not full featured and it tends to bog down heavily after 50k words or so.

I only use Google Docs because of the cloud features. I do final drafts and formatting in LibreOffice.

I'd be interested to know how people write at length on phones or tablets. I've never been able to write using voice dictation. The story just seems to flow better from my fingers than my mouth ...

P. Joseph Cherubino | PJC Blog | PJC On Facebook | PJC on Twitter

Offline Anne R. Tan

• View Profile
    • Anne R. Tan
« Reply #81 on: March 17, 2016, 07:45:39 AM »
I outline in The Novel Factory, draft in Scrivener and Matcha app on my phone, edit in Word (because of editor), and format in Vellum. And in between, I also use my Alphasmart Dana and transcription with Dragon Dictate. however, Scrivener is always my "home base" so it always have my latest file. It is backup to Google Drive and Dropbox.

What is family without murder?
Anne R. Tan | Website | GoodReads | Facebook

Offline benlovejoy

• London, England
  • Technothriller author
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 17, 2016, 08:41:30 AM »
Yes, I do a lot of writing on my iPad, then paste it into Scrivener. Will be really happy when the iPad version is finally released.

Offline AngryGames

• Boise, ID
  • Stoner Fiction Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • AngryGames
« Reply #83 on: March 19, 2016, 01:15:00 AM »

I suppose you can call an Alphasmart Dana a mobile device.

Travis Hill | Author Website | Blog | Twitter | Goodreads

Online Speaker-To-Animals

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 19, 2016, 05:23:39 AM »
Cheers, thanks for this. The reason I ask is that I'm about to buy a new PC and wondered if it was worth updating my Word 2007 or alternatively look at Open Office and (now) Libreoffice. Research suggests that Word 2007 has hardly been progressed anyway in its latest incarnations, but there are a few Word functions that bug me. A problem is that I edit for other writers too using that Track Changes feature and it's a question of whether Libreoffice documents saved or exported as .docx will correctly display any Track Changes data in a client's Word software. I guess I can experiment. Thanks again.

If you need track changes or have to go back and forth with other writers/editors, I would stick with MS Word. I've seen people who've had problems with track changes and the libre/open alternatives. As with most things, if you have a short simple document like a letter, there's no problem with compatibility. If you have a 60,000 word novel with styles and formatting and hundreds of edits, that's something quite different.

Offline LeonardDHilleyII

• Marietta, OH
  • Author of Sci-fi Thrillers/Fantasy/Urban Fantasy
    • View Profile
    • Leonard D. Hilley II Author
« Reply #85 on: March 19, 2016, 05:40:00 AM »
I work on a Mac, so it's Pages (cheap) or Vellum ($$$). Vellum does make pretty books.

Sometimes I regret not being better acquainted with Word for possible print layout, but it gives me a headache.

I use Mac, too, but wasn't aware of these. I need to check them out. Thanks for the info!

Join my subscription list at: http://leonarddhilleyii.com/ for a free digital copy of Forrest Wollinsky: Vampire Hunter.

Offline KeraEmory

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 19, 2016, 05:46:52 AM »

I use Mac, too, but wasn't aware of these. I need to check them out. Thanks for the info!

FWIW I think newer Macs come with Pages built in/free. I think I paid about $10 for it back in the day.

I'm still kind of tinkering with my own flow since buying Vellum. Love Vellum's output, but sometimes *writing* in it doesn't work well with my brain, too used to a plainer word processor. When I start thinking of the chapters as individual objects to be compiled, it screws up my flow. Had the same issue with Scrivener. It's also probably why I'm not a coder. :)

Online Speaker-To-Animals

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 19, 2016, 07:32:39 AM »
I really wouldn't write in Vellum. It doesn't have the kind of features you're going to want for editing, search and replace, grammar checks, and so on. Pages is ok, but they removed a lot of features including the advanced search/replace that would allow you to key on paragraph returns, etc. I realize that Word is rather bloated on features, but Apple needs to settle down on removing useful features from updates.

Offline JTriptych

• View Profile
    • facebook
« Reply #88 on: March 19, 2016, 08:13:49 AM »
Word.

Offline mburton

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 19, 2016, 09:21:26 AM »

I write in Ulysses which now has an app for iPhone and iPad. Everything syncs between desktop and mobile perfectly.

Offline boh

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 20, 2016, 06:49:50 AM »
Have you ever been undecided on what software you want to use to start writing your book with, that it actually distracted you from the writing itself, and how long it takes you in terms of time to make a decision on what to use and stick with that software only.

Offline Kelly Clayton

• View Profile
    • Kelly Clayton Books
« Reply #91 on: March 20, 2016, 10:37:33 AM »
I write the first drafts in scrivener. I love the binder and how, at one glance,  I can see all the separate chapters and scenes. I then convert to word to send out for the development edit. When that comes back I transfer the word file into scrivener and, using the split screen, go through the comments and edit my scrivener manuscript. I keep going in scrivener until I think I am almost there and ready for the beta-readers and the copy-edit and for these I do a final transfer to word. I love scrivener.

Kelly Clayton | facebook | website | twitter

Offline TheNovel Factory

• The Novel Factory - a novel writing program
    • View Profile
    • http://www.novel-software.com
« Reply #92 on: August 09, 2016, 05:43:22 AM »
I outline in The Novel Factory, draft in Scrivener and Matcha app on my phone, edit in Word (because of editor), and format in Vellum. And in between, I also use my Alphasmart Dana and transcription with Dragon Dictate. however, Scrivener is always my "home base" so it always have my latest file. It is backup to Google Drive and Dropbox.

Question - what do you mean by edit in Word because of editor? What editing features does Word have that you find useful?

The Novel Factory - Write faster, write better. http://www.novel-software.com

Offline Wysardry

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 09, 2016, 05:55:36 AM »
I'm fairly sure they mean that their human editor only accepts documents in Word format (which is a common requirement), probably because of the track changes feature.

Offline Moticom

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 09, 2016, 06:03:51 AM »
Word for me. I write notes in physical notepads and on my phone, but all of my book writing is done on Word.

David Hurrell | Amazon.com
Visit Soulless Voodoo Guy on Facebook for exclusive artwork
YouTube channel

Offline GajaJKos

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 09, 2016, 06:10:17 AM »
I used to write in Word, but I found Scrivener to be a far better match for me. Not only for all its amazing features, but also because writing a single chapter at a time tends to put my mind at ease.

(Watching the manuscript grow slowly in Word was usually torture.)

Gaja J. Kos | Website

Offline doctorshevil

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 09, 2016, 06:39:47 AM »

I used Word to write my first three novels, Scrivener for my fourth, and won't go back. I love it.

Offline CMH

• UK
    • View Profile
    • C. M. Harald blog
« Reply #97 on: August 09, 2016, 06:49:53 AM »
Write in Scrivener, but edit in Word.  Did use Storyist for a while on the iPad.

Offline Anne R. Tan

• View Profile
    • Anne R. Tan
« Reply #98 on: August 09, 2016, 09:03:16 PM »
Question - what do you mean by edit in Word because of editor? What editing features does Word have that you find useful?

It's pretty much standard for most editors and proofreaders to edit in Word using Track Changes. So no matter what software I use for the writing part, I still need to export (or convert to Word) when I send the manuscript to the editors. From this point, some writers finish their final draft on Word, but in my case I type in the edits back into Scrivener.

What is family without murder?
Anne R. Tan | Website | GoodReads | Facebook

Offline TheNovel Factory

• The Novel Factory - a novel writing program
    • View Profile
    • http://www.novel-software.com
« Reply #99 on: August 12, 2016, 04:11:57 AM »
I'm fairly sure they mean that their human editor only accepts documents in Word format (which is a common requirement), probably because of the track changes feature.
Aaaaah! I see.

The Novel Factory - Write faster, write better. http://www.novel-software.com