Author Launch - turn-key sites for authors

Author Topic: Locked threads.  (Read 4111 times)  

Offline Sparrowhawks

• UK
  • Dances with dogs.
    • View Profile
Locked threads.
« on: March 17, 2016, 11:30:07 AM »

It is interesting to note that threads can be 'locked' with the simple explanation .....

"... Too many reports.  Locking for now, will review when I get home from the store ..."

Please do not misinterpret what I am saying.

I DO NOT CRITICISE THE MODERATORS.

I only ask that the 'REPORTERS' should be REQUIRED to identify themselves, and to JUSTIFY their demands that their opponents should be silenced.

The fundamental question is THIS.....

Do you believe in democracy ?

KK
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 11:35:50 AM by Sparrowhawks »

Offline Briteka

• View Profile
Re: Locked threads.
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 11:32:46 AM »
I mean, maybe you're taking things a tad too seriously. They lock, clear things out and reopen. It's very rare that a thread remains locked forever, and if it does, it's probably because they think that OP will just draw more drama.

Rhayn

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 11:38:22 AM »
This isn't a democracy it is a forum with a specific set of rules enforced by moderators who do a great job. Everyone has the option to report a comment because it has either offended them in some way or they believe it is offensive, will be offensive or is just an attempt to create arguments. The moderators will lock that thread until they have the chance to review it.

Often the threads will be reopened after some pruning and with a warning to play nice, other times they will be locked for good because some people just don't play nice with others.

You've had several threads locked and yet start a new one about that which is only going to create more trouble. I would suggest that perhaps you speak privately with the mods and ask what you are doing that is resulting in so many reports before you find yourself banned. Good luck.

Offline Anarchist

• Methodological individualist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 11:42:48 AM »
Out of curiosity, when you click the "report to moderator" link, are you asked to define the grievance or is the report sent immediately after clicking the link?

(I don't want to test it in the event the latter is the case.)
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat." - Sun Tzu

Offline Sparrowhawks

• UK
  • Dances with dogs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 11:44:45 AM »
I mean, maybe you're taking things a tad too seriously. They lock, clear things out and reopen. It's very rare that a thread remains locked forever, and if it does, it's probably because they think that OP will just draw more drama.

Thanks, Brit.

I hope you are right.  I shall shut up, and watch to see what happens !   :-\

(But I still smell the paws of the 'PC Panthers' !) ;)

KK

Offline thevoiceofone

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2016, 11:48:18 AM »

It is interesting to note that threads can be 'locked' with the simple explanation .....

"... Too many reports.  Locking for now, will review when I get home from the store ..."

Please do not misinterpret what I am saying.

I DO NOT CRITICISE THE MODERATORS.

I only ask that the 'REPORTERS' should be REQUIRED to identify themselves, and to JUSTIFY their demands that their opponents should be silenced.

The fundamental question is THIS.....

Do you believe in democracy ?

KK

Makes me wonder why anyone would report anything to a moderator other than as spam post. Though i do know there are some touchy folks on this forum.  I wonder if they get all excited when they hit the button? I can hear their thoughts. "Oh im going to get that nasty poster" lol

Offline Sparrowhawks

• UK
  • Dances with dogs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2016, 11:49:25 AM »
Out of curiosity, when you click the "report to moderator" link, are you asked to define the grievance or is the report sent immediately after clicking the link?

I have no idea, Anarchist.

I was taught never to 'run to teacher' unless I had crapped in my knickers !

KK

Online Speaker-To-Animals

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2016, 11:51:26 AM »
I have a lot of irritation with some of the moderation here, but shutting down racist trolling is one of the things I support 100%

Offline Jessie G. Talbot

• Raleigh, NC
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2016, 11:51:47 AM »
Dang. So close to Godwin's Law...
Jessie G. Talbot | Website | Twitter | Newsletter

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
  • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2016, 11:53:26 AM »

A new screen comes up where you can explain why you are reporting a specific post or an entire thread.  You have to hit send or enter when you are done typing.  You can change your mind and back out of the screen without sending.  If I were talented enough to post a screen shot, I would show you.  You won't hurt anything by clicking the "Report to Moderator" link to see what I'm talking about.
A book, I think, is very like a little golden door.
That takes me into places where I've never been before.
It leads me into fairyland or countries strange and far.
And, best of all, the golden door always stands ajar. - Adelaide Love

Offline Sparrowhawks

• UK
  • Dances with dogs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2016, 11:55:42 AM »

If there have been reports, it is the moderators job to lock it and check out the comments. 
The moderator has left a message that she will check the thread when she can (gets home), I think that is fair.

Agreed,

But if the complaints are found to be spurious or untrue, then the complainers should be made to explain themselves.  That is the nature of Freedom and Democracy.

KK

Offline Sparrowhawks

• UK
  • Dances with dogs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2016, 11:58:24 AM »
I have a lot of irritation with some of the moderation here, but shutting down racist trolling is one of the things I support 100%

I agree 100% !  But who has even MENTIONED 'racist trolling' ?  I certainly haven't seen any.  Have YOU ?

KK

Offline Anarchist

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2016, 11:59:30 AM »
A new screen comes up where you can explain why you are reporting a specific post or an entire thread.  You have to hit send or enter when you are done typing.  You can change your mind and back out of the screen without sending.  If I were talented enough to post a screen shot, I would show you.  You won't hurt anything by clicking the "Report to Moderator" link to see what I'm talking about.

Thanks crebel! Good to know.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat." - Sun Tzu

Offline Sparrowhawks

• UK
  • Dances with dogs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2016, 12:08:50 PM »
Dang. So close to Godwin's Law...

Godwin's Law ?

Ini lo ? (What's that)

Offline Sparrowhawks

• UK
  • Dances with dogs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2016, 12:15:06 PM »
OK then put that to the moderators. New rule. Anyone who makes a untrue complaint to the moderator because they felt offended or thought things were getting out of hand or something else, they must be revealed and explain themselves.

In a democracy, do you think that you should be permitted to accuse someone ANONYMOUSLY ?

HAU !

Do you believe in Democracy ?

KK
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 12:18:59 PM by Sparrowhawks »

Rhayn

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2016, 12:18:54 PM »
In a democracy, do you think that you should be permitted to accuse someone ANONYMOUSLY ?

HAU !

KK

That does happen in real life democracies in some cases. The anonymity of the accuser is protected while they investigate...

Offline KeraEmory

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2016, 12:24:40 PM »
There are plenty of places online where one can be obnoxious without restraint. Reddit, for example.

I appreciate these little civilized pockets.

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2016, 12:27:37 PM »
My, a trip to restock the shelves and pick up the mail after a long trip and stuff happens.

To answer a couple questions in the thread--no, reporters will not be required to identify themselves.  Please note that we receive many reports that we decide are not actionable.  Members who make too many reports that we deem targeting a member unfairly are warned and subject to moderation themselves.  It's happened.

Our primary goal is to encourage civil discourse.  If, after review, we decide that a thread can be reopened with prunings and/or warnings, we will do so.  Sometimes, based on experience, we believe the thread is beyond rehabilitation.

I know there are people here who enjoy a real knock-down debate.  There are plenty of places where one can do that.  This is not the place for that.  We strive for civil discourse.  We get the requests from members to have their accounts deleted, which happens nearly every time a thread gets negative.  We don't care for that.

Civil discourse means, in part,  no personal comments.   After review of your last thread, Sparrowhawk, that thread will not be reopened as posters, including you, could not refrain from personal comments even after being warned.  Perhaps in the future, a discussion of cultural differences in humor would be appropriate but not this thread at this time; I'm afraid the tone of your initial post poisoned the well.  I just got home and was going  to edit the locking post to say that.

I suggest you read Forum Decorum.  We try to give members latitude but our overall tone is very important to us.  If our policies inhibit you, this may not be the right forum for you--that's for you to decide.

I'm not going to argue here about the moderation of specific threads.   You're welcome to PM me.  I'm catching up on PMs after traveling for the last five weeks; I'm going through the inbox to catch any that I missed.

Hope this clarifies things.

Betsy

edited to correct typos.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 12:50:18 PM by Betsy the Quilter »
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline JalexM

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2016, 12:30:51 PM »
You haven't been on the internet long if you think this is heavy moderation.

Offline Jane_Dough

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2016, 12:39:58 PM »
You haven't been on the internet long if you think this is heavy moderation.

Yep.

I was on a message board where posting in a thread a few days old was considered spamming. You were given a very public warning/shaming for going against board rules. It seemed nonsensical to start a new thread when there was a perfectly good one already open, but that was the way it was.

Offline GwynnEWhite

• UK
    • View Profile
    • Gwynn White Author
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2016, 12:44:23 PM »
Thank you Betsy for keeping this the place most of us want to be.
High-octane steampunk fantasy with a dash of romance and intrigue.
Gwynn White | Website | Facebook | Twitter

Offline smw

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2016, 12:47:19 PM »
While I do tend to think that the threshold for finding a thread to be "going negative" here is a bit too on the kiddie-pool side of the spectrum, it could be worse and I can live with it.

Steven M Walsh | Twitter | Amazon Author Page

Offline Alan Petersen

• San Francisco, CA
  • I write high octane thrillers.
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Action Thrillers from Alan Petersen
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2016, 12:51:06 PM »
This is a privately owned forum, not a democracy. The owners could state that anyone with the name of Alan can no longer post here and I'd be SOL.  ;D

And usually starting a new thread to complain about another thread being locked can lead to having that thread also locked and the member warned or banned (I've seen that in other forums).
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 12:52:41 PM by Alan Petersen »

Offline Anarchist

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2016, 12:51:42 PM »
Here's my take:

KB isn't my house. It's Betsy and Ann's house.

Their house, their rules.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Otm4RusESNU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Otm4RusESNU</a>

EDIT: Dang it! Alan beat me to it (again).

Online Tilly

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2016, 12:52:57 PM »

This board has moderation to keep discussion on track and civil. if you want to start a flame war then this probably isn't the right forum for you.
You seem to post deliberately provocative and inflammatory posts just to get a reaction. Perhaps it might be a better use of your time to work on your craft or figure out why sales aren't meeting your expectations?