Need a new Case? Save $30 with code SPARKLE30 + Free Shipping at Case-Mate.com! Offer ends 12/15.

Author Topic: Slow Writer's Progress Thread  (Read 12682 times)  

Offline Gisele_1169

• Atlantic Canada
    • View Profile
    • G.R. LeBlanc - Haiku Poet and Fiction Writer
Slow Writer's Progress Thread
« on: March 24, 2016, 06:19:46 PM »
Since there are so many slow writers here, I'm starting a progress thread where we can cheer each other on, or commiserate when the words refuse to come.

I had been doing well and then went through 5 days of no writing (was busy cleaning for a house visit and just couldn't seem to concentrate). But yesterday I had a great day -- reached 1,228 words, which is a FANTASTIC day for me. I don't often reach 1k, and then today I got another 753 words for a grand total of 69,097 words on my YA paranormal. I've never gotten so much on a project before, so I'm quite excited! :D

Hoping to hit 70k by the end of the weekend.

Offline AlexaGrave

• View Profile
    • Born to Write
Re: Slow Writer's Progress Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 06:33:25 PM »
*cheers on all of us slow writers*

Thanks for making this thread! And congrats on yesterday's and today's progress!

Yesterday I had a great day too. I've been sick all week, so I was happy to find some energy with the kids out of the house briefly. I managed 1k on my fiction project and 1.1k on the non-fiction project.

Nothing so far today. The crud I have pulled me under and both kids home all day was the cherry on top (nothing like spending 2 hours on the phone with your parents asking questions for your daughter's family tree project - that burns the time!).

I'm hoping I can get 500 words in on the non-fiction while watching some Supernatural with hubbie. That is if the toddler (who didn't nap at all today) finally falls asleep...  :P
Thorns Entwine the Blade - Trinity Torn Book 2 (Revisions): 18%

GSD vs. Everything (1st Draft): 60%
Dark Fantasy Writer
Alexa Grave | Born to Write | Website | Newsletter | Haunted Unicorn Publishing - Developmental Editing

Offline Gisele_1169

• Atlantic Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 06:54:25 PM »
*cheers on all of us slow writers*

Thanks for making this thread! And congrats on yesterday's and today's progress!

Yesterday I had a great day too. I've been sick all week, so I was happy to find some energy with the kids out of the house briefly. I managed 1k on my fiction project and 1.1k on the non-fiction project.

Thanks, Alexa, and way to go yesterday! That's awesome! I hope you feel better soon and good luck with the non-fiction! :)

Out_there

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 08:02:26 AM »
I'm really struggling with getting throught the first draft of my next book. Life keeps getting in the way. I've learned not to stress about it. It will get done.

Offline geronl

• View Profile
    • Floyd Looney's Sci-Fi
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 09:09:00 AM »
I think I am about halfway through a book, but I haven't even looked at it in a while. I think I need to rewrite the first half before I write the second. Kind of daunting.

Floyd Looney

Offline Gisele_1169

• Atlantic Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 09:36:28 AM »
I'm really struggling with getting throught the first draft of my next book. Life keeps getting in the way. I've learned not to stress about it. It will get done.

Yep, worse thing you can do is stress over it. It just makes it worse. When I'm going through difficult stretches, the only way I get anything done is by setting my timer for 5 minutes. Once it goes off, I decide if I'm going to go for another 5 minutes and so on. This simple little thing has gotten me out of writing funks many, many times. :)

I think I am about halfway through a book, but I haven't even looked at it in a while. I think I need to rewrite the first half before I write the second. Kind of daunting.

I've often heard it's best to focus on your ending first, because it's only once you have your ending that you will know your beginning. I find it makes a lot of sense. Good luck figuring it out! :)

Offline AlexaGrave

• View Profile
    • Born to Write
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2016, 09:46:35 AM »
I did a little over 500 words on the non-fiction last night.  :D Next couple of days are going to be hit or miss, as we're doing stuff for my eldest's birthday. It'll all get done, one word at a time!

I also need to find more people for my cabin for April Camp NaNo. I love it how the camps in April and July you can choose your own word count. My goal of 15k is way less daunting than 50k - lol.  :P

I am a pantser, and I don't always know what will unravel by the end of a novel. Honestly, I'd recommend just plowing through to the end, then going back and reworking things at the beginning. When things change halfway through my writing that mean I have to make bigger changes at the beginning, I note it and move on, or I'd never get the first draft done because I'd be going back too often to change things! For me, it's easier to fix stuff once the whole first draft is down.
Thorns Entwine the Blade - Trinity Torn Book 2 (Revisions): 18%

GSD vs. Everything (1st Draft): 60%
Dark Fantasy Writer
Alexa Grave | Born to Write | Website | Newsletter | Haunted Unicorn Publishing - Developmental Editing

Offline geronl

• View Profile
    • Floyd Looney's Sci-Fi
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2016, 10:41:44 AM »
It is science fiction and have decided that we lose the moon (which didn't happen in first draft) and that the first chapter needs to be completely redone because it basically a narrative that sets everything up. Boring as heck.

I do look forward to adding chapters of character back stories though, which will add to length.

Should I make a note of the changed situation and move forward as if I have already rewritten the first half or not. I think I should do that.

Floyd Looney

Offline Gisele_1169

• Atlantic Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2016, 11:03:50 AM »
Should I make a note of the changed situation and move forward as if I have already rewritten the first half or not. I think I should do that.

Well, everyone's process is different, but this is what I would do. I've gotten into too many endless loops where I kept rewriting the beginning, and ultimately not moving forward. I think it's one of the reasons it's taken me so long to get to where I am now. :)

Offline julieannlevin

• View Profile
    • Julie Ann Levin Romance Author
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2016, 11:22:42 AM »
What helped me become a faster writer is writing in 10-minute sprints. I time myself using the 5,000WPH app and then write in the full-screen mode of http://www.zenpen.io/ to avoid distractions. I write using a pretty detailed outline, so that helps too. Thia has all helped me write at least 2,000 words a day. It's all first drafts stuff of course. Hope this helps everyone!

Julie Ann Levin | Blog

Offline VMJaskiernia

• Fantasy romance imbued with darkness
    • View Profile
    • The Noctuinad
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2016, 11:31:50 AM »
When I'm in a good place I can write a lot, but I'm just rarely in that good place. I tend to become overwhelmed with how much I have to do, how much I haven't done yet, and how I'm letting people down :( so I tend to not write more often than I do. I'm at 27K with Delphinium, which is estimated at about 80K, so that isn't bad. I wrote the first 20K in a few weeks, and the latter 7K has been a year of slow teeth-pulling. If I could only get back to that sprint-speed I'd be done soon.

V. M. Jaskiernia | Blog | Twitter | Facebook Group

Offline jessie520

• Buffalo, New York
    • View Profile
    • Author Website
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2016, 12:06:07 PM »
So glad someone started this thread, and even happier to see that others are slow in writing, too.

It feels like it's taking forever to get through my drafts, but I know I'll get there eventually. I do have good days where I can get around 1k to 1,500 words and really great days where I can reach somewhere between 2k and 3k, but keeping consistent is a tough thing for me. I think I just get a bit overwhelmed with the work and the expectations. I'm perfectionist and the worst critic of my own writing.  :(

It frustrates me and causes me further stress that I'm not as far along in my self publishing career as I would like at this point, but everyone has their own pace, and I'm still finding mine.

YA & NA Historical Fantasy

Online jaehaerys

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2016, 05:45:20 PM »
It is science fiction and have decided that we lose the moon (which didn't happen in first draft) and that the first chapter needs to be completely redone because it basically a narrative that sets everything up. Boring as heck.

I do look forward to adding chapters of character back stories though, which will add to length.

We lose the moon? Cool idea.  8)  What leads the folks in your story to that decision? Are they tired of going to the beach only to find that the tide is out? Hate when that happens.  :P I kid. I kid.

Count me in for Team Tortoise! We all know what happens to the hare...

Offline H. S. St. Ours

• Maryland, US
  • Water Worlds SciFi Adventure Series
    • View Profile
    • Water Worlds SciFi Adventure Series
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2016, 05:53:09 PM »
Great idea for a post. No matter how fast I write, I always feel like a snail compared to those "Five novels in a month!" posters, and it can be depressing, especially for those of us with demanding day jobs.

But I am content that it takes me exactly as long to write my books as they require, and I'm often reminded of the production adage that, of speed, quality and cost, you may choose any two.

Harry St.Ours | Water Worlds | Facebook | Twitter

Offline geronl

• View Profile
    • Floyd Looney's Sci-Fi
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2016, 06:30:11 PM »
We lose the moon? Cool idea.

lol. Alien planet passes by (alien invaders) too close and knocks the moon out of orbit. It'll become a wandering minor planet like Ceres or whatever.

Floyd Looney

Offline Douglas E Wright

• Vancouver Island
    • View Profile
    • Douglas E Wright
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2016, 06:42:21 PM »
Thanks for starting this thread. My problem is getting into the habit of writing. I wasn't always like this. I wrote everyday. But now, the last few years have been horrible. I do have a couple of novellas done in first draft. Being a pantser, once the story is written,I feel that's the end, even though I like to rewrite. After reading the thread about consistent earnings, I pulled out one of the first draft novellas and started rewriting this evening. Now, let's hope I don't stop until it's finished!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 06:44:45 PM by Douglas E Wright »

Offline N. D. Iverson

• Canada
    • View Profile
    • Author Website
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2016, 06:53:00 PM »
When I'm in a good place I can write a lot, but I'm just rarely in that good place. I tend to become overwhelmed with how much I have to do, how much I haven't done yet, and how I'm letting people down :( so I tend to not write more often than I do. I'm at 27K with Delphinium, which is estimated at about 80K, so that isn't bad. I wrote the first 20K in a few weeks, and the latter 7K has been a year of slow teeth-pulling. If I could only get back to that sprint-speed I'd be done soon.
I feel you. I have to be in a very good mood to want to write and that's been hard lately. And I've got a series where people are actually waiting for sequels so the extra pressure doesn't help.

Just call me the thread killer.
N. D. Iverson | Author Website

Offline VMJaskiernia

• Fantasy romance imbued with darkness
    • View Profile
    • The Noctuinad
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2016, 07:00:54 PM »
I feel you. I have to be in a very good mood to want to write and that's been hard lately. And I've got a series where people are actually waiting for sequels so the extra pressure doesn't help.

Yeah, exactly. I just have the one book out, but I know people are waiting for more (especially since 1 is so short). It's both really great and heartening that people want more, and yet just a guilt spiral that I'm not good enough to meet (my teeny tiny) demand.

V. M. Jaskiernia | Blog | Twitter | Facebook Group

Offline Sapphire

• Omaha NE
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2016, 09:23:04 PM »
I guess I qualify as a slow writer. However, I'm really not. When I concentrate on writing, I can and do produce. The fact is I'm guilty of not spending a sufficient amount of time on my manuscripts. I get distracted by on-line activities or busy work around the house or reading instead of writing. I also have had family situations in the last year that require not only a lot of time but also clutter my mind in such a way as to stifle creativity. I know I have to take control and block out writing time or my works in progress may drag on indefinitely. At the same time, it is unrealistic for me to expect myself to turn out monthly books like a machine. That's not going to happen. Yet I'm positive I can improve my output with better discipline.

Offline N. D. Iverson

• Canada
    • View Profile
    • Author Website
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2016, 09:59:36 PM »
Yeah, exactly. I just have the one book out, but I know people are waiting for more (especially since 1 is so short). It's both really great and heartening that people want more, and yet just a guilt spiral that I'm not good enough to meet (my teeny tiny) demand.
And it's even more pressure because the momentum from the first book is fading fast and I feel every extra second I take, those first readers will forget about my book and thus, the sequel. I've had close to 75 organic email signups but I've sold around 3200 copies of the first and how will those people know about the 2nd book unless it was released close to the first? Ugh, the pressure!

Just call me the thread killer.
N. D. Iverson | Author Website

Offline Gisele_1169

• Atlantic Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2016, 05:58:40 AM »
So glad someone started this thread, and even happier to see that others are slow in writing, too.

It feels like it's taking forever to get through my drafts, but I know I'll get there eventually. I do have good days where I can get around 1k to 1,500 words and really great days where I can reach somewhere between 2k and 3k, but keeping consistent is a tough thing for me. I think I just get a bit overwhelmed with the work and the expectations. I'm perfectionist and the worst critic of my own writing.  :(

It frustrates me and causes me further stress that I'm not as far along in my self publishing career as I would like at this point, but everyone has their own pace, and I'm still finding mine.

The consistency thing is difficult for me as well. And that's what I really want to get better at, not necessarily "writing faster." My stories need to simmer and I've come to realize that I can't force the overall process, because if I do, I won't be happy with the result. This is something I need to accept and be okay with. But there is certainly room for improvement.

I think comparing ourselves to other writers is so detrimental, too. The only person we should be comparing ourselves to is the writer we were yesterday. ;)

Offline Gisele_1169

• Atlantic Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2016, 06:03:38 AM »
I get distracted by on-line activities or busy work around the house or reading instead of writing. I also have had family situations in the last year that require not only a lot of time but also clutter my mind in such a way as to stifle creativity. I know I have to take control and block out writing time or my works in progress may drag on indefinitely. At the same time, it is unrealistic for me to expect myself to turn out monthly books like a machine. That's not going to happen. Yet I'm positive I can improve my output with better discipline.

Have you tried Freedom (or something similar) to block your internet? It's been a huge help for me as I am VERY easily distracted as well. And yoga helps me clear the mind and helps keep me from stiffening up as I have issues with my upper back and shoulders. Sorry about the family situation -- I hope that's gotten better.

Offline Gisele_1169

• Atlantic Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2016, 06:06:16 AM »
Thanks for starting this thread. My problem is getting into the habit of writing. I wasn't always like this. I wrote everyday. But now, the last few years have been horrible. I do have a couple of novellas done in first draft. Being a pantser, once the story is written,I feel that's the end, even though I like to rewrite. After reading the thread about consistent earnings, I pulled out one of the first draft novellas and started rewriting this evening. Now, let's hope I don't stop until it's finished!

Good luck with the rewrite! Just take it one day and one page at a time. You can do it! :)

Offline jrwilson

• View Profile
    • jamiewilsonbooks
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2016, 11:43:49 AM »
This is definitely the thread for me.   I track how many words I write per day.   I'm averaging 93 wpd.  Yup, that's right.  93.   So far today I've written 333 words, making it a very very good day.  Sigh.

Jamie Wilson | My Blog

Offline RipleyKing

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2016, 02:52:56 PM »
I took the last week off. Seven days this coming Monday. I enjoyed every moment of it so far. I'm a pantser, and proud of it. I didn't even work on a blog post.

It's okay to take a day off once in a while.  :P