Need Perfect Gift? Shop Amazon Gift Cards. Any Occasion.

Author Topic: Slow Writer's Progress Thread  (Read 12699 times)  

Offline kdiem

• View Profile
Re: Slow Writer's Progress Thread
« Reply #150 on: April 28, 2016, 07:11:36 PM »
I finished my main edit and am now proofreading for my Book 1 release next week. So far, 5000 words done over two days. :(  Stupid migraine. Only ~105,000 words to go. Good thing my family likes peanut butter, as I'm not cooking much this week!

Book 2 has gotten 15 words added in the past two weeks.

Next book, I'm getting an editor so I can concentrate on writing new stuff more and less on iterative grammar checking.

Author. Bibliophile. Fangirl.
Karen Diem | website | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Goodreads

Offline AlexaGrave

• View Profile
    • Born to Write
« Reply #151 on: April 29, 2016, 04:55:52 PM »
How's everyone doing? This week has been absolutely awful focus-wise. I've managed to do a bit of editing on Tuesday and Wednesday, but other than that, I just can't get into the right frame of mind. OH, and we woke up to snow this morning! SNOW!!! :o

I hate weeks like that! And Mother Nature needs to chain winter up already.

I hit my 60k goal for the month for edits of the novel, but I haven't touched the non-fiction still. Guess my week has been tough too. We'll see what I can get done tomorrow if I don;t sleep all day - lol.
Thorns Entwine the Blade - Trinity Torn Book 2 (Revisions): 18%

GSD vs. Everything (1st Draft): 60%
Dark Fantasy Writer
Alexa Grave | Born to Write | Website | Newsletter | Haunted Unicorn Publishing - Developmental Editing

Offline Stevie O

• England
    • View Profile
    • Stevie O'Connor Writer
« Reply #152 on: April 30, 2016, 02:16:08 AM »
How's everyone doing? This week has been absolutely awful focus-wise. I've managed to do a bit of editing on Tuesday and Wednesday, but other than that, I just can't get into the right frame of mind. OH, and we woke up to snow this morning! SNOW!!! :o
Yeah right Gisele, the snow! It's blooming May Day tomorrow! I spent a great week idling, planning a promo campaign, wondering about the first chapter of the new book, doing design re-designs for book covers and a piece of flash fiction. A busy week and yet not tied to the keyboard, which was a nice change!
I'm trying to remind myself that life is not always typing :)

Offline geronl

• View Profile
    • Floyd Looney's Sci-Fi
« Reply #153 on: May 01, 2016, 12:35:19 AM »
I finally finished the first draft of that novella.

yay.

Floyd Looney

Offline Stevie O

• England
    • View Profile
    • Stevie O'Connor Writer
« Reply #154 on: May 01, 2016, 04:21:01 AM »
I finally finished the first draft of that novella.

yay.
I love that feeling!! :)

Offline Gisele_1169

• Atlantic Canada
    • View Profile
    • G.R. LeBlanc - Haiku Poet and Fiction Writer
« Reply #155 on: May 01, 2016, 06:57:52 AM »
Seems like I'm not the only one that felt like she was walking through mud during the week -- but I'm glad to see that many of you were still productive!

Geroni, CONGRATS on finishing your novella. That is AWESOME!

The rest of my week was a total bust writing-wise, but I did tinker with my website -- added an article written for a haiku magazine I ran a few years back. If anyone has an interest in haiku, you might enjoy reading it:

http://grleblanc.blogspot.ca/2016/04/easy-steps-to-better-haiku.html

Then we had a house visit scheduled for Saturday, so Friday was mostly a cleaning day. Our snow was gone within a few hours, thank goodness! And today, the bitter, cold wind seems to have died down. Think it's actually going to be a gorgeous day. Yay!

Happy May 1st, everyone, and I'm hoping it's a productive month for each of us!  :)

Offline Debra Purdy Kong

• Canada
  • BC Mystery Author
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 01, 2016, 08:10:24 AM »
I love that feeling!! :)
Me too! I just finished the 5th draft of mine, and I love the part where I'm finally getting close to the last and final draft. Editing moves quickly at this stage!

Offline geronl

• View Profile
    • Floyd Looney's Sci-Fi
« Reply #157 on: May 01, 2016, 09:00:40 AM »

Happy May 1st, everyone, and I'm hoping it's a productive month for each of us!  :)

Yes, it does feel good! I have a novel that nearly complete (first draft-wise) too.

I'll probably put the novella up in a week or so. I'm going to go over it and do a re-write and find some beta readers. This is the cover, by the way.

Floyd Looney

Offline Gisele_1169

• Atlantic Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 01, 2016, 01:01:59 PM »
Have gone from walking through mud to swimming through peanut butter last week, which kept me from scheduled, set aside writing day of Friday (have 4 such days of the week). As a result, current story is first one that have asked my alpha reader for advice BEFORE beginning the next sequence of scenes.
Have never written in this way before during 45 years of writing for publication. Feel like I'm walking on a "dark and stormy night" through dense wooded terrain, no moonlight or flashlight, and without handheld compass, GPS unit, or other navigational devices, only an alpha reader guiding my way.
Am wondering how final result will read?

I'm so sorry you're going through a challenging time with your book. It really goes to show how each story is different. Is there anything about this story that has you feeling nervous or unsure?

Me too! I just finished the 5th draft of mine, and I love the part where I'm finally getting close to the last and final draft. Editing moves quickly at this stage!

Congrats, Debra, and I hope the editing goes very smoothly!

And, Geroni, good luck on your upcoming launch! That's so exciting!  :)

In other news, we almost got an offer on our house -- something on the buyer's side fell through with their house, so we're keeping fingers crossed that it's something that will iron itself out.

Offline sstroble

• CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 04, 2016, 07:35:53 AM »
I'm so sorry you're going through a challenging time with your book. It really goes to show how each story is different. Is there anything about this story that has you feeling nervous or unsure?

It is historical fiction. 
Have heard Garrison Keillor and other authors say, "You have to let your characters take you where they want to go."   That is proving true with this one and now I know it has to be that way with any story after this one is done.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 07:46:29 AM by sstroble »

Offline geronl

• View Profile
    • Floyd Looney's Sci-Fi
« Reply #160 on: May 04, 2016, 07:56:21 AM »
The novella is done, I think. The second draft is 18k instead of 17k.

Now to hunt down some beta readers...

Floyd Looney

Offline AlexaGrave

• View Profile
    • Born to Write
« Reply #161 on: May 04, 2016, 07:35:37 PM »
Today was the first day this week that I actually had a chance to touch any actual writing.  ??? (Monday and Tuesday I did set up a promo, do a critique, and quick edit and format for my final upload for the Reversed pre-order. But most of Monday was my brain agonizing over something that sounded wrong as far as editor suggestions go...I think my brain is hardwired the wrong way for something, and it seriously hates me - lol.)

7.5k of the novel edited today. Here's hoping more tomorrow. And hubbie is taking off this Friday - I told him he needs to take the toddler to the park so I can work for an hour.  :P

Dark Fantasy Writer
Alexa Grave | Born to Write | Website | Newsletter | Haunted Unicorn Publishing - Developmental Editing

Offline Stevie O

• England
    • View Profile
    • Stevie O'Connor Writer
« Reply #162 on: May 07, 2016, 01:24:30 AM »
Had a great week, in that we had some warm sunshine for the first time in nine months, ( oh yay! ) I found out that I'd won a flash-fiction writing competition in an American Magazine ( me???!) and started production for the In A Mirror City audiobook. I even managed to do some proof-reading and started a new short story, so I think I'm allowed the weekend off to go gallivanting....right?  ;D
she said, gallivanting away

Offline Debra Purdy Kong

• Canada
  • BC Mystery Author
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 07, 2016, 07:53:08 PM »
Had a great week, in that we had some warm sunshine for the first time in nine months, ( oh yay! ) I found out that I'd won a flash-fiction writing competition in an American Magazine ( me???!) and started production for the In A Mirror City audiobook. I even managed to do some proof-reading and started a new short story, so I think I'm allowed the weekend off to go gallivanting....right?  ;D

Well done, and congrats! Weeks like that are worth celebrating. I'm just happy to have spent 3 hours working on my urban fantasy today. It wasn't all in one sitting--that never happens--but it's more than I've done all week. My daughter decided to do some housework for me as a Mother's Day Gift. My son is cooking dinner tomorrow. This means more writing time. :)

Offline SakuraMazaki

• Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 08, 2016, 07:54:45 PM »
Woo, actually had a 1k word day. Mind you... 200 to my main story and the rest is split into short stories. >.>

Offline Stevie O

• England
    • View Profile
    • Stevie O'Connor Writer
« Reply #165 on: May 09, 2016, 04:53:41 AM »
Well done, and congrats! Weeks like that are worth celebrating. I'm just happy to have spent 3 hours working on my urban fantasy today. It wasn't all in one sitting--that never happens--but it's more than I've done all week. My daughter decided to do some housework for me as a Mother's Day Gift. My son is cooking dinner tomorrow. This means more writing time. :)
Hope you had a great day too! :)

Offline Gisele_1169

• Atlantic Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 09, 2016, 12:39:53 PM »
It is historical fiction. 
Have heard Garrison Keillor and other authors say, "You have to let your characters take you where they want to go."   That is proving true with this one and now I know it has to be that way with any story after this one is done.

Yes! And I think all too often, we are afraid to hand over the reins. We really need to learn to trust the process, and our characters!  ;)

Today was the first day this week that I actually had a chance to touch any actual writing.  ??? (Monday and Tuesday I did set up a promo, do a critique, and quick edit and format for my final upload for the Reversed pre-order. But most of Monday was my brain agonizing over something that sounded wrong as far as editor suggestions go...I think my brain is hardwired the wrong way for something, and it seriously hates me - lol.)

7.5k of the novel edited today. Here's hoping more tomorrow. And hubbie is taking off this Friday - I told him he needs to take the toddler to the park so I can work for an hour.  :P

Sounds like you're making some solid progress, Alexa! Keep it up!

Congratulations on the the flash-fiction competition win, Stevie! That is absolutely wonderful news! Good luck on the new story and I hope you had a wonderful weekend of gallivanting; it sounds very well-deserved!  ;)

Woo, actually had a 1k word day. Mind you... 200 to my main story and the rest is split into short stories. >.>

FANTASTIC!!!! Yay!  :D

My Update:
Well, last week was dismal -- only managed a bit of editing/brainstorming, but I did get my newsletter out and got two new subscribers! Woo Hooo! lol I don't have any books out, but I am widely published in the haiku department, so am keeping my newsletters mainly focused on that for now. It's a start. :) 

Hoping this week is more productive, but we have a house visit tomorrow morning, and I am already feeling distracted. :-X

Anyhow, that's enough rambling from me. Wishing everyone a happy, productive week! :)

Offline kdiem

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 09, 2016, 06:59:23 PM »
Congratulations on the the flash-fiction competition win, Stevie! That is absolutely wonderful news! Good luck on the new story and I hope you had a wonderful weekend of gallivanting; it sounds very well-deserved!  ;)

My Update:
Well, last week was dismal -- only managed a bit of editing/brainstorming, but I did get my newsletter out and got two new subscribers! Woo Hooo! lol I don't have any books out, but I am widely published in the haiku department, so am keeping my newsletters mainly focused on that for now. It's a start. :) 

Hoping this week is more productive, but we have a house visit tomorrow morning, and I am already feeling distracted. :-X

Anyhow, that's enough rambling from me. Wishing everyone a happy, productive week! :)

Stevie: Congrats on the flash fiction! Sounds like quite the productive week, so I hope your time off will make this week even better. :)

Gisele: You've got more subscribers than I do. :)  Poetry is its own challenge; brevity, soul of wit and all that. Keep the forward momentum going! Good luck with the house visit, too. Selling a house is always nuts.

Me.
I published last week. Spent the past five days formatting for Smashwords in fifteen and twenty minute chunks when I could get it. Finally got Smashwords approval today. I'm hoping to get some more work on book 2 this week, preferably in longer chunks of time.

Author. Bibliophile. Fangirl.
Karen Diem | website | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Goodreads

Offline NicolaSDorrington

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 10, 2016, 01:06:09 AM »
So I think I have fallen behind even the pace of the slowest of slow writers now. I honestly feel like I have made no progress in ages. I went away for the weekend and knowing I had a fairly long train journey ahead of me took notepad and the editing I was doing with me. Didn't touch it. Even when completely bored on the train I still couldn't bring myself to edit. I think I'm developing some kind of block about this book, which is a shame, because it's one of my favourite things I've written. I know I just need to push through with it, but so far it ain't happening!

Nicola S Dorrington | Website

Offline Gisele_1169

• Atlantic Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 10, 2016, 09:05:32 AM »
Gisele: You've got more subscribers than I do. :)  Poetry is its own challenge; brevity, soul of wit and all that. Keep the forward momentum going! Good luck with the house visit, too. Selling a house is always nuts.

Me.
I published last week. Spent the past five days formatting for Smashwords in fifteen and twenty minute chunks when I could get it. Finally got Smashwords approval today. I'm hoping to get some more work on book 2 this week, preferably in longer chunks of time.

Thank you, Karen! The visit went well -- they called our realtor while they were still here, wanted to know where the land marker/pins were and got all excited when they realized how far back the yard extends! Keeping fingers crossed!

And, CONGRATS on your release! That's so exciting! I hope things go well with book 2! :)

So I think I have fallen behind even the pace of the slowest of slow writers now. I honestly feel like I have made no progress in ages. I went away for the weekend and knowing I had a fairly long train journey ahead of me took notepad and the editing I was doing with me. Didn't touch it. Even when completely bored on the train I still couldn't bring myself to edit. I think I'm developing some kind of block about this book, which is a shame, because it's one of my favourite things I've written. I know I just need to push through with it, but so far it ain't happening!

Oh, I feel ya, Nicola! Something's that helped me out of that head space many times is setting my timer for 5 minutes, reading over what I wrote, and doing tiny edits. Just that has gotten me unstuck and back to writing more times than I can count. Good luck! You can do it! :)

Offline L.J.Simpson

• Japan
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 11, 2016, 09:33:09 AM »

Absolutely understand how you feel. I just had a week off work, which is kind of unusual for me. I spent a couple of days painting the fence and then had a day out with the family, after which I really thought I could push on with my writing but...nothing. I sat in front of the computer and ended up playing Tetris. It's tragic, it really is. Now I'm back at work I find myself adding bits to the book every time I have a few minutes to myself. I'm sure there's a lesson in there somewhere but for the moment I'm darned if I can see it.
Across Enemy Space : 40%
L.J. Simpson

Offline geronl

• View Profile
    • Floyd Looney's Sci-Fi
« Reply #171 on: May 11, 2016, 02:44:45 PM »
Super hero novella will be posted soon. I consider it the past.

I wrote first chapters of two different blog stories in the last two days, probably more than I can chew.

Floyd Looney

Offline AlexaGrave

• View Profile
    • Born to Write
« Reply #172 on: May 19, 2016, 12:51:27 PM »
This week, aside from Monday, has been a huge bust!

I wrote about 1.2k on a short story/novelette on Monday. No writing or revising since.

Last 2 days I've been dealing with my free promo for Love Fades (along with taking a nap today with the toddler - man, she wears me out).

Dark Fantasy Writer

Offline Gisele_1169

• Atlantic Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 20, 2016, 08:20:39 AM »
This week, aside from Monday, has been a huge bust!

I wrote about 1.2k on a short story/novelette on Monday. No writing or revising since.

Last 2 days I've been dealing with my free promo for Love Fades (along with taking a nap today with the toddler - man, she wears me out).

Hey, at least you made progress with that short story! I got maybe a total of 700 words stretched out over three days. I'm working with my writing coach next week, so hopefully she can help me get out of this funk. Today I need to catch-up on some housework, but hoping to get in a few words, too. Mercury retrograde is on its way out, too, so yay for that!  :D

Offline NicolaSDorrington

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 21, 2016, 01:18:24 AM »
I am currently the slowest of slow writers. Yesterday I managed a grand total of about 20 words, and that was the first writing I'd done in a week.

*sigh*

I have some serious kind of block right now when it comes to writing. I have three books I could really do with working on, and yet can't seem to work on any of them.

Nicola S Dorrington | Website

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac