Need a new Case? Save $30 with code SPARKLE30 + Free Shipping at Case-Mate.com! Offer ends 12/15.

Author Topic: Slow Writer's Progress Thread  (Read 12684 times)  

Online geronl

• View Profile
    • Floyd Looney's Sci-Fi
Re: Slow Writer's Progress Thread
« Reply #175 on: May 21, 2016, 01:44:45 AM »
I have a little side story I have been adding to in fits and starts that has grown to 7,200+ words. It'll probably be a novella. There are no chapters. It will be part I, part II and maybe part III if I feel like it. I'm not even sure what to call it, much less a genre.

Floyd Looney

Offline Gisele_1169

• Atlantic Canada
    • View Profile
    • G.R. LeBlanc - Haiku Poet and Fiction Writer
« Reply #176 on: May 26, 2016, 01:55:42 PM »
After having two back to back house visits to prepare for this week, I am slowly getting back to it. Reworked a scene today on my YA urban fantasy project -- I ended up with 550 more words, but actually wrote more than that because I deleted bits here and there. So not too bad a day!

I was supposed to work with my writing coach, but I ended up rescheduling; didn't have enough new material to work with. I also can't believe it's already Thursday. The week just flew by. Also very relieved that Mercury has gone direct again! 

Hope you all have a lovely weekend!  :)

Offline Queen_of_Shorts

• It's a Secret. Shh!
  • Crazy, crazy all around!
    • View Profile
    • The Indie Authors Accountability Group: Open to All Genres!
« Reply #177 on: May 26, 2016, 08:25:41 PM »

Ooh! It took me 3 years, but I finally finished a short story. It's really, really terrible, but yaaays for finishing it! I feel like I deserve a cookie. "giggles"

Offline Gisele_1169

• Atlantic Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 27, 2016, 04:49:06 AM »
   Ooh! It took me 3 years, but I finally finished a short story. It's really, really terrible, but yaaays for finishing it! I feel like I deserve a cookie. "giggles"

That's awesome -- congrats! And, I think that earns you at least 2 cookies!  ;)

Offline Queen_of_Shorts

• It's a Secret. Shh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 27, 2016, 10:56:54 AM »
That's awesome -- congrats! And, I think that earns you at least 2 cookies!  ;)

*accepts two chocolate chip cookies from the communal cookie jar*

Ummmm. I need these, today. Got my edits back from my friend and now I get to make it good. *freaks out*

Offline jessie520

• Buffalo, New York
    • View Profile
    • Author Website
« Reply #180 on: May 27, 2016, 12:16:53 PM »
I love this thread so much. Congrats on your accomplishments everyone, no matter how small they are  :D

I've been in the biggest writing funk for what feels like ages, but I'm going to try and break that over the weekend. Hopefully!

YA & NA Historical Fantasy

Offline Gisele_1169

• Atlantic Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 27, 2016, 12:51:51 PM »
I love this thread so much. Congrats on your accomplishments everyone, no matter how small they are  :D

I've been in the biggest writing funk for what feels like ages, but I'm going to try and break that over the weekend. Hopefully!

Good luck, Jessie! You can do it! Just take it one sentence at a time. It's all you need to do and you'll get there.  ;)

Offline Queen_of_Shorts

• It's a Secret. Shh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 27, 2016, 05:40:37 PM »

Finished my second revisions and added 938 words. "giggles muchly"

*sending Jessie and Gisele, and everyone else in this thread, magical writing energy to accomplish all your goals*

Offline jessie520

• Buffalo, New York
    • View Profile
    • Author Website
« Reply #183 on: May 27, 2016, 08:41:25 PM »
Thanks so much for the encouragement, I appreciate it!  ;D

Managed to get 868 words today, so I consider that a success.

YA & NA Historical Fantasy

Offline JosiahUpton

• Fort Worth, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: May 27, 2016, 09:43:59 PM »
I've been working on the sequel to Sons of Sludge for almost two years now. It's very nearly done. But as much as I love my characters and the story they tell, there are many days when I'm so over it. If you include the time it took to put out S.O.S. (much of which was spent hanging on the hook of an agent that ended up passing), I've been in this world for almost four years. That's too long.

I attribute my snail's pace to having only a single dedicated 6 hour slot to write a week. The rest of my time is eaten up by a full-time job, raising three young and wild boys, and spending my nights recovering from the former. By the time everyone's fed and in bed, my wits and nerves insist that it's beer and tv time.

But it won't always be this way. Once all the kids are in school, my goal is to pump out three novels a year. Counting the days until my youngest moves out, while enjoying the ride the entire time.

Josiah's Pretentious Quotable: My family is my story. Even if I never write another word, I would be a most successful author.

Josiah Upton | Blog | Facebook | Twitter

Offline N. D. Iverson

• Canada
    • View Profile
    • Author Website
« Reply #185 on: May 27, 2016, 09:44:44 PM »
I am currently the slowest of slow writers. Yesterday I managed a grand total of about 20 words, and that was the first writing I'd done in a week.

*sigh*

I have some serious kind of block right now when it comes to writing. I have three books I could really do with working on, and yet can't seem to work on any of them.

Slowest of the slow? Looks like I've been usurped :P Could have sworn I had that title...

But I feel ya. I've got readers that keep asking about my third book in my series and I feel bad when I have to keep saying, "I'm working on it..." It's been a super slow go. Only about 17,100 words into a 80,000 word novel...

Just call me the thread killer.
N. D. Iverson | Author Website

Offline NicolaSDorrington

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 28, 2016, 01:04:13 AM »
I have to say that somehow, since that post, I've turned a corner. I came up with a new little idea that I thought I'd better get down before I forgot it, thinking I would just jot down a few notes to be able to go back to it when I'd finished my current WIPs. Instead, four days later I'm 8,000 words in, and going strong everyday. 2,000 a day for me is massive. If I could keep this rate up, I'd have the book done in a month.

The last time I wrote that fast was when I wrote The Last Knight. I got the first draft done in 7 weeks. It just then took me about 3 years to edit it.

Nicola S Dorrington | Website

Offline Gisele_1169

• Atlantic Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: May 29, 2016, 05:45:52 AM »
Wow, everyone! It's so great to see all the updates!

Flights and Jessie, way to go on the progress, and Nicola, 2,000 words a day? Wow! That's amazing!  :D

I attribute my snail's pace to having only a single dedicated 6 hour slot to write a week. The rest of my time is eaten up by a full-time job, raising three young and wild boys, and spending my nights recovering from the former. By the time everyone's fed and in bed, my wits and nerves insist that it's beer and tv time.

Yeah, that'll do it. But you've already got one book out there, and you're still making progress and moving forward. That's the important thing, so hang in there!  ;)

But I feel ya. I've got readers that keep asking about my third book in my series and I feel bad when I have to keep saying, "I'm working on it..." It's been a super slow go. Only about 17,100 words into a 80,000 word novel...

Hey, you've got two books out there already, and have fans looking forward to your next book, that's something to celebrate! Just take it one sentence and one day at a time.  ;)

My update: I'm still picking away at my YA Urban Fantasy. Got in another 250 words on Friday. Probably got around a total of 1000 words for the whole week, which I guess is better than nothing, right?  ;) I'm also back at 67k, too (after cutting a few thousand words worth of scenes), so I'm happy about that.

Wishing everyone a lovely Sunday, and a productive week!  :D

Offline 1984Phins

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: May 29, 2016, 07:55:07 AM »
Added a page, so this is a very productive day so far!

Offline sstroble

• CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: May 29, 2016, 12:29:07 PM »

The last time I wrote that fast was when I wrote The Last Knight. I got the first draft done in 7 weeks. It just then took me about 3 years to edit it.
Harry Shaw, in Errors in English and Ways to Correct Them -- "There is no such thing as good writing. There is only good rewriting." Science fiction novelist Michael Crichton: "Books are not written--they're rewritten."

« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 01:04:10 PM by sstroble »

Offline sstroble

• CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: May 29, 2016, 12:35:14 PM »
I'm also back at 67k, too (after cutting a few thousand words worth of scenes), so I'm happy about that.

My most important piece of advice to all you would-be writers: When you write, try to leave out all the parts readers skip.
― Elmore Leonard, Elmore Leonard's 10 Rules of Writing

Your willingness to cut out a few thousand words is motivating me to do the same with 2 stories now in the midst of rewrites.
Thank you

Offline Gisele_1169

• Atlantic Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: May 30, 2016, 05:16:21 AM »
Added a page, so this is a very productive day so far!

Awesome! One page at a time and you'll get there!  ;)

Harry Shaw, in Errors in English and Ways to Correct Them -- "There is no such thing as good writing. There is only good rewriting." Science fiction novelist Michael Crichton: "Books are not written--they're rewritten."

I've come across these quotes before! Love'em!  :)

My most important piece of advice to all you would-be writers: When you write, try to leave out all the parts readers skip.
― Elmore Leonard, Elmore Leonard's 10 Rules of Writing

Your willingness to cut out a few thousand words is motivating me to do the same with 2 stories now in the midst of rewrites.
Thank you

I'm so glad that you found that motivating. I usually just plop cut scenes into a separate folder so I still have them if I later realize I need the material. And I figure there's always a chance parts can be used for other projects, too. It makes it easy to cut what I feel isn't needed at the time.

Also, I don't write in linear fashion, so after a while, I end up with a lot of scenes that don't fit anymore. I've gotten used to slicing and dicing them out.  ;D

Good luck with your rewrites!

Offline sstroble

• CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: May 30, 2016, 09:02:58 AM »
I'm so glad that you found that motivating. I usually just plop cut scenes into a separate folder so I still have them if I later realize I need the material. And I figure there's always a chance parts can be used for other projects, too. It makes it easy to cut what I feel isn't needed at the time.

Also, I don't write in linear fashion, so after a while, I end up with a lot of scenes that don't fit anymore. I've gotten used to slicing and dicing them out.  ;D
Ended up only cutting 188 words from one story and 513 words from the other but that is 701 words total, not bad for a holiday that has been telling me, "Take it easy today. Relax, it's a holiday. You don't need to write today..." ever since waking up.

Also end up with scenes that don't really fit anymore.  Hunting them down and removing them is time consuming, laborious, often boring.......wonder if it's the same as when a film editor slices and dices, shortening some scenes and removing others entirely to shorten the 3 or 4 hours worth of film down to what the movie studio wants, a movie about 2 hours long?

Offline AlexaGrave

• View Profile
    • Born to Write
« Reply #193 on: May 30, 2016, 11:09:51 AM »
Absolutely no progress last week, but that was due to several things (kid events, trying to catch up to house cleaning, and a distraction I just blogged about - the top things).

Hoping to change that this week. Hubbie taking the kids to the park shortly, so here's hoping for 1k on Memorial Day!  :D
Thorns Entwine the Blade - Trinity Torn Book 2 (Revisions): 18%

GSD vs. Everything (1st Draft): 60%
Dark Fantasy Writer
Alexa Grave | Born to Write | Website | Newsletter | Haunted Unicorn Publishing - Developmental Editing

Offline Gisele_1169

• Atlantic Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 01, 2016, 01:54:13 PM »
Even though I've been dealing with some construction over the past couple days (we're getting our patio redone and there is constant banging, drilling, and sawing going on) I'm slowly making progress on my YA Urban Fantasy. I'm adding bits to weave scenes together, cutting extraneous stuff out, and also doing a bit of brainstorming here and there. My word count has probably gone down by another thousand words, but things seem to be falling into place, and I'm starting to see the project as a whole. Yay!

Hope everyone's week has been productive so far!  :D

Offline Queen_of_Shorts

• It's a Secret. Shh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: June 01, 2016, 02:17:04 PM »

I am using the excuse that I'm waiting on my Sir Kind Knight of Editordom to get back to me on the short I wrote last week. And my inner lazian is all, "no hurry, take your time." :p

And this week I'm doing crime research, which is really fun and necessary.

I've got like 7-10 different stories/series I'd like to write, and since my brain is like an empty sieve most of the time I have to research everything, and I can't write everything at once, so I'm in my crime cycle right now.

Offline N. D. Iverson

• Canada
    • View Profile
    • Author Website
« Reply #196 on: June 01, 2016, 04:30:00 PM »
Even though I've been dealing with some construction over the past couple days (we're getting our patio redone and there is constant banging, drilling, and sawing going on) I'm slowly making progress on my YA Urban Fantasy. I'm adding bits to weave scenes together, cutting extraneous stuff out, and also doing a bit of brainstorming here and there. My word count has probably gone down by another thousand words, but things seem to be falling into place, and I'm starting to see the project as a whole. Yay!

Hope everyone's week has been productive so far!  :D

Since you're kind of in a similar boat, any advice on writing while occupied? I'm buying my first home (side note: yay!) and it's going to be a hectic month! Any advice for not letting your writing slide during crazy-busy times?

Just call me the thread killer.
N. D. Iverson | Author Website

Offline Gisele_1169

• Atlantic Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 01, 2016, 07:16:00 PM »
Since you're kind of in a similar boat, any advice on writing while occupied? I'm buying my first home (side note: yay!) and it's going to be a hectic month! Any advice for not letting your writing slide during crazy-busy times?

Oh, I know exactly what you're going through. Our house has been on the market now for almost 4 months and I've been struggling to find focus throughout most of it. I myself just went through about three weeks of virtually no forward progress, but I'm slowly slipping back into the flow of things. I like to blame this last writing slump on Mercury retrograde.  :-[

I've discovered several things that help limit my distraction levels (because I'm ALWAYS distracted): I use Mac Freedom, and recently discovered brain.fm -- listening to that the last couple days helped me focus and cut some of the noise out. You can try free sessions to see if you find it helps.

Some days, all I can do is set my timer for 5 minutes and at least read over material. It often helps me get back into a story. Exercise and doing yoga is also VERY helpful, especially the yoga. It helps quiet my mind and stops my neck, shoulders, and upper back from stiffening up.  :D

There's also the pomodoro method which can be very helpful. If you're not familiar with it, it's just a timer method. You can learn more about it here: http://pomodorotechnique.com/

Hope that helps! And, your first home -- that is so exciting! Congratulations, and I hope it all goes smoothly!  :D

Offline Queen_of_Shorts

• It's a Secret. Shh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 01, 2016, 07:37:22 PM »

I've heard that a daily writing routine, where you always write at the same time, under the same conditions, every day no matter what is helpful. Like say you get up every morning at a certain time and only write for 20 minutes, but you do it every single morning. Or every night at the same time. Or maybe every time you get into your car you dictate your story into your phone. Every time you eat, you scratch out a few words out (might be difficult if you eat with utensils). :D  The important thing is just having some sort of daily schedule, that you can meet even if you have a houseful of guests or are in the midst of a huge construction project or all 8 of your kids get the chicken pox, etc.

Offline jaehaerys

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 01, 2016, 08:19:53 PM »
  I've heard that a daily writing routine, where you always write at the same time, under the same conditions, every day no matter what is helpful. Like say you get up every morning at a certain time and only write for 20 minutes, but you do it every single morning. Or every night at the same time. Or maybe every time you get into your car you dictate your story into your phone. Every time you eat, you scratch out a few words out (might be difficult if you eat with utensils). :D  The important thing is just having some sort of daily schedule, that you can meet even if you have a houseful of guests or are in the midst of a huge construction project or all 8 of your kids get the chicken pox, etc.

Happy to have been pointed toward this thread (thanks!). I am slow and part of the reason is I cannot create if I engage in ANY kind of organizational logistics. I like what you've said above about a writing schedule and I like the idea behind it, but I just know I can't do it. The millisecond I try to self-impose a schedule, no matter how un-rigorous it may be in its construct, is the moment my muse flits away into the ether. Sure, I'd be able to crank out some words for a while and follow the schedule to the letter, but it wouldn't last, the crash would occur and then I'd be back to square one (think: crying in the fetal position in the shower).

All of that said, I've learned that I'm a pretty fragile feather of a writer. Every little thing has to be alright (to kinda sorta quote Bob Marley) and I can't worry about a thing if I'm to write well or pretty much keep writing at all.

On the day writer's skins were being passed out, I wound up with tissue paper.  :-[