Why not Join Amazon Kindle Unlimited 30-Day Free Trial?

Author Topic: Slow Writer's Progress Thread  (Read 12656 times)  

Offline Gisele_1169

• Atlantic Canada
    • View Profile
    • G.R. LeBlanc - Haiku Poet and Fiction Writer
Re: Slow Writer's Progress Thread
« Reply #225 on: June 16, 2016, 10:53:29 AM »
Been trying to market my release today (which has come in at zero sales or reads so far - blah), but the toddler has been determined to make life miserable. It took her over an hour to fall asleep for her nap. Then after her nap, she pretty much refused to eat lunch in a timely manner (chewing on the patty of a hamburger for at least 45 minutes).

I just want to crawl in bed because I don't even have the energy to market my story anymore.

The toddler makes it so I can't think straight. I keep screwing up on everything I'm doing, so it takes me twice as long to do it!  ???

So sorry about this, Alexa. I see parents with young kids and get tired just watching them. ;) I only have one son (he's 17) and he finished school this week, and is graduating next week. :o I know how tiring it is when they're so small, but it really does go by in the blink of eye. I remember my son's first day of kindergarten like it was yesterday. Now, he's finished school, has a girlfriend, his own car, working part time, going to college next fall...it all went by so fast.

Anyhow, I hope things are going a little better for you. Hope sales and reads have started trickling in. Good luck!

This thread was designed for me!  I've been working on my first book (a novella, the first in a series of five) for about 5 years.  I've been editing it since September.  I'm a slow writer, and I sometimes take months between working on it.  Sometimes I get distracted by other things (book 2 is about 50% written and book 3 is in process, along with the first page of about 10 other stories), sometimes work is just too busy to focus on anything else, but mostly it is just lack of dedication. Maybe this thread can inspire all of us to get off our asses and get our writing done!

Glad you found us over here, Marcus! Good luck with your books and I look forward to reading more of your updates!  ;)

Hi all, newbie here.
I'm finding that the more free time I have to write, the less l get done. Give me a couple of hours to write, and I go like the clappers. Give me a full day, and I'll spend it nit-picking every other word. Does anyone else have that problem?

Hi, David!

I've heard a few people talk about this, not here specifically, but on podcasts. There's a term they coined for it but I can't remember for the life of me what it was -- something about how the amount of work adjusts to the amount of time you have to do it. I have a hard time focusing if I know I have too many hours in front of me. Although, it's not quite the same thing that you've mentioned. I just can't seem to get in gear until all the cleaning and other things on my to-do list are crossed off. I only seem to be able to sit down around 3 in the afternoons, even though I'm home all day. If I sit down too early, I'll get up a hundred times for various reasons.

Sometimes I'd love to have an office outside the home to limit distractions. Ah, well, c'est la vie, I guess.  :)

My update: I've been keeping my slow but steady pace, putting in two to three sessions (20 minutes) a day since Sunday. Yay! Still in editing mode so no word count tallies, but it's still progress. Also found out yesterday that a poem I entered in a contest won an honourable mention! Very happy about that.  :D

Anyhow, hope everyone is having a splendid week and hope you all have a great weekend! :)

Offline JE_Owen

• Montana
  • Be bold and mighty forces will come to your aid.
    • View Profile
    • Fantasy Author Jess E. Owen
« Reply #226 on: June 16, 2016, 11:19:52 AM »
Finally coming to this thread. My name is Jess and I am a slow writer.  ::)

I'm proud to have been putting out a book a year for the last four years, and while I'd like to write faster and work on multiple series and, y'know, maybe quit the day jobs that are impeding the writing . . . it might have to wait until I figure out a better schedule. 

Mostly I just wanted to drop in and cheer on my fellow slow-burners. Every word counts!  ;D

Offline L.J.Simpson

• Japan
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: June 17, 2016, 03:19:46 AM »
Hi all, newbie here.
I'm finding that the more free time I have to write, the less l get done. Give me a couple of hours to write, and I go like the clappers. Give me a full day, and I'll spend it nit-picking every other word. Does anyone else have that problem?

Something similar. I find it very hard to get into the groove when I have a day off. I seem to do much better writing just for an hour or so in the evening - or even in tea breaks at work. Don't beat yourself up over it - take your time and enjoy the journey.  :D 
Across Enemy Space : 40%
L.J. Simpson

Offline Gisele_1169

• Atlantic Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: June 17, 2016, 05:39:17 AM »
Finally coming to this thread. My name is Jess and I am a slow writer.  ::)

I'm proud to have been putting out a book a year for the last four years, and while I'd like to write faster and work on multiple series and, y'know, maybe quit the day jobs that are impeding the writing . . . it might have to wait until I figure out a better schedule. 

Mostly I just wanted to drop in and cheer on my fellow slow-burners. Every word counts!  ;D

Welcome, Jess!

That's wonderful on your books and being able to put one out a year. Sometimes I feel like I'll never get to the point that I'll even have one ready to publish, so my hat's off to you!  Looking forward to reading more of your updates! ;)

Offline alawston

• London
  • London-based writer and actor
    • View Profile
    • Andrew K Lawston's intermittent blogular adventures
« Reply #229 on: June 17, 2016, 05:50:52 AM »
I am a slow writer by nature. I agonise about things for weeks and months before putting pen to paper (and I do still write a good chunk of my first drafts with pen and paper, that's how slow I am). I bumble through first drafts in fits and starts, putting aside my writing for days, even weeks at a time, due to various other demands on my time.

And then, hours before a deadline, something in me just kicks back and pours stuff out. I don't know how this keeps working for me, and I don't want to dig too deeply in case it stops. I wrote a 10K short story in March and April. I'd ground out 3,500 words throughout those two months, then somehow got down 7,000 on the last day of April, hours before the cut-off for an anthology. I don't even know how I managed that - throughout the day and the evening if you'd asked me how I was getting on, chances are I'd still just be glowering at the notepad or the laptop screen moodily.

And now I've got to do it again. I've got to write a 5,000 word short story before the end of June. I've got a little time at the weekend, and I booked one and a half days off work next week to devote to it. But... 5,000 words. I know we're writing on a board where there's a guy selling a book that claims you can write that much in an hour, but... it's going to take me more than one hour.

The real killer is, well, you know that perfectionist streak many of us have that kills our speed with procrastination and endless revision and second-guessing? Mine is getting a huge fuel injection from the point that I'm working on a highly prestigious project and I absolutely have to put forward the very greatest story I can possibly write. It's like feeling the pressure to follow up on a bestseller... when you haven't in fact ever written a bestseller.

So yeah. Hi.

Broadly comic writer working across as many genres as he can. Acting done.
Andrew Lawston | Facebook | Twitter

Offline Ted Cross

• Nassau, Bahamas
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #230 on: June 17, 2016, 07:23:25 AM »
I began this new novel about two years ago now. I'm nearly happy with the first chapter and ready to start on the second.

Ted Cross | blog | facebook

Offline TheLemontree

• New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: June 18, 2016, 02:39:11 AM »
I wrote another scene today. I'm trying something new. This week, instead of writing with a word count goal in mind, I'm just sitting down with the intention of writing a complete scene - or as much of the scene as will come to me, if it's a long ish one.

So far I'm much happier with the quality of work I'm producing. I guess my brain is focussing more on the scene itself and how it all works together, rather than producing make-work to satisfy an arbitrary master. Which works for me.

Oddly (and happily), the scenes are shaping up to be over 1000 words each anyway, which had been my arbitrary session goal.

Stacey Wilson | Kombucha Research

Offline Kyra Gregory

• View Profile
« Reply #232 on: June 18, 2016, 04:52:39 AM »
^ Sounds like a good tactic to work by!

For me, this month is turning out to be the slowest of the slow months for me. What I thought would be a month of possibilities due to finishing work slightly earlier has been a month filled with events related to work or being sick (as far as being hospitalised!) because of work.

So far, my month when it comes to writing has been like this;

3rd - 967 words
4th - 1,709 words
5th - 2,623 words
7th - 1,550 words
13th - 404 words
16th - 787 words

Total so far: 8,040

I know that seems like a lot to some people but for me, knowing what I used to be capable of (sometimes as much as 3,500 useable words a day), it just isn't. I'm hoping I'll pick up a little bit during the rest of the month or, at the very least, hope that July will be better.

Kyra Gregory

Offline L.J.Simpson

• Japan
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: June 19, 2016, 07:03:16 PM »
I am a slow writer by nature. I agonise about things for weeks and months before putting pen to paper....
....The real killer is, well, you know that perfectionist streak many of us have that kills our speed with procrastination and endless revision and second-guessing?

That's me. I just can't leave sentences alone. I fiddle and fuss until I sometimes forget what I was trying to say.
An artist friend of mine once told me that it's all too easy to fiddle around with a painting to the point that it never gets finished. Sooner or later you need to step back and say, "Hey, we're done."
Over the weekend I wrote 1200 words. I pretty much knew what I wanted to say so there wasn't much thinking time involved, but in all it took about five or six hours. As usual, a good deal of that was second guessing.

Just wondering, but how long does it take my fellow slow writers to knock out about five hundred words?     
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 06:32:23 AM by L.J.Simpson »
Across Enemy Space : 40%
L.J. Simpson

Offline matt5ki

• View Profile
    • Matthew Drzymala
« Reply #234 on: June 20, 2016, 12:00:18 AM »
Working through the 2nd draft of my novel I managed to do lots of work on 2 chapters, wading through lots of overwritten stuff as well as adding bits after making amendments to some things earlier in the book. Envisage at least 2 more drafts before it's remotely publishable but I'm feeling accomplished this weekend!

Matthew Drzymala | Website | Facebook | Twitter

Offline Gisele_1169

• Atlantic Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: June 20, 2016, 06:00:04 AM »
Great updates everyone, and welcome newbies! I didn't get much done this weekend. Just too much stuff going on -- getting ready for our son's graduation, and working on the patio. Most of it is completed, thank goodness. Now, all that's left is a few finishing touches and staining. This has turned out to be the never ending project from hell, but it looks so good compared to what it was before. Hopefully it will help to bring in an offer on the house. Things have been horribly slow on that end -- we haven't had a visit in like 3 weeks... :-[

Next weekend is prom and graduation, and then we're away for a week, so I doubt I'll be able to focus on much of anything. Another couple weeks and things should be getting back to normal.

I wrote another scene today. I'm trying something new. This week, instead of writing with a word count goal in mind, I'm just sitting down with the intention of writing a complete scene - or as much of the scene as will come to me, if it's a long ish one.

So far I'm much happier with the quality of work I'm producing. I guess my brain is focussing more on the scene itself and how it all works together, rather than producing make-work to satisfy an arbitrary master. Which works for me.

Oddly (and happily), the scenes are shaping up to be over 1000 words each anyway, which had been my arbitrary session goal.

Glad it's working out for you! I can't write with word count goals. The only way I get anything done is to aim for timed sessions.

Just wondering, but how long does it take my fellow slow writers to knock out about five hundred words?     

On average, for me, that can take anywhere from 20 minutes  to an hour.

Wishing everyone a great and productive week!  :)

Offline Gisele_1169

• Atlantic Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: July 05, 2016, 05:30:05 AM »
Hey, everyone!

My goodness, this place has been quiet. I just wanted to pop in to see how everyone's doing. No writing at all on my end. First it was my son's graduation, then we were off to New York for a week, got an offer on the house while we were away, accepted it, and now we're busy picking cabinets and stuff for the new townhouse and packing.

Our closing is on July 28th, so I doubt I'll be getting much writing before we're all settled-in again.

Hope everyone is enjoying their summer!  ;)

Online Sarah Shaw

• Prague
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: July 05, 2016, 05:59:24 AM »
Knowing that I always work well with deadlines, I booked a developmental edit back in May for later this month. Considering how much work the book still needs I'm thinking that might have been a mistake...
It has at least got me writing every day, though. I've been using the pomodoro method (basically, setting a timer for 25 minutes and then a 5 minute break). Word count goals work well for me on first drafts, but this is editing and I find it's best to use some kind of timing method to try and keep myself in the manuscript- instead of off chasing historical details on the internet- which can too often turn into tangents.
Sympathies especially to those who have free time and can't seem to use it. I know that one well. In addition to the pomodoro sessions I've worked out a whole bevy of tricks over the years to keep me working. The best ones all involve some kind of social or financial pressure: I rent space at a coworking space, which surrounds me with a bunch of other people who are all working pretty diligently on their own projects. That gives me both a guilty sense that I ought to be working too, and also makes me feel I have to justify the expenditure by producing something. I'm in several critique groups, too, and don't want to let them down by not producing anything.
Anyway... *waves to everyone*
Back to work.

Offline matt5ki

• View Profile
    • Matthew Drzymala
« Reply #238 on: July 11, 2016, 02:00:03 AM »
I'm usually slow, but I started the 3rd draft of my novel on Saturday and managed to work through 8 chapters. 3 chapters were fine, just little tweaks, but some need major surgery. Happy with how much I managed to get done this weekend while still being able to get some rest in :)

Offline sstroble

• CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: July 11, 2016, 08:44:26 AM »
Almost 2/3 of way through current WIP.
Still rewriting 4 other books (2 of them are collections of short stories).

Writing in the confines of  the time/space continuum is beginning to remind me of an oldie but goodie Chambers Brothers song, Time Has Come Today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_I4S61Do-Qs
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 08:50:16 AM by sstroble »

Offline Michael Alan Peck

• Chicago, IL
    • View Profile
    • MichaelAlanPeck.com
« Reply #240 on: July 11, 2016, 09:30:20 AM »
Having moved past the outline phase (and I do a lot of outlining), I'm now in head-down word-count mode, which is going pretty well. My goal is 1500 words on Saturdays and Sundays, and I've hit or beat that for a while now. A 4,000-word weekend ending yesterday brought me close to 60,000 works for the current WIP. The problem is that this thing's going so long, I'm going to have to get it where I want it, chop it in half, and release it as two books, I think. Not a big problem, but one that's new to me.

We shall see. So long as things are moving, albeit moving slowly, I'm happy.

Well, happier.

Michael Alan Peck | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Google+

Offline kdiem

• View Profile
« Reply #241 on: July 11, 2016, 06:56:04 PM »
My goodness, this place has been quiet. I just wanted to pop in to see how everyone's doing. No writing at all on my end. First it was my son's graduation, then we were off to New York for a week, got an offer on the house while we were away, accepted it, and now we're busy picking cabinets and stuff for the new townhouse and packing.

Our closing is on July 28th, so I doubt I'll be getting much writing before we're all settled-in again.

Life happens, and at least it sounds like it's good things. Congrats on the offer! You've been so stressed about selling for so long that it has to be an enormous relief to have that out of the way.

So long as things are moving, albeit moving slowly, I'm happy.

Well, happier.

That's how I feel about it too.

I was doing OK, averaging about 500 - 1500 words a day on my WIP, Human, but then my kid got sick... and I got sick. Still trying to shake this stupid cold. Now I'm just hoping that anything I've writing while on cold meds is not pure dreck. A few sections are suspect already and I suspect will get cut once I get through the first draft. I also just got back my editor's comments on another book, so have to spend some time editing that too.

Best of luck to everyone, and stick to it!

Author. Bibliophile. Fangirl.
Karen Diem | website | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Goodreads

Offline jessie520

• Buffalo, New York
    • View Profile
    • Author Website
« Reply #242 on: July 12, 2016, 03:52:48 PM »
There's been construction right out front of my house and down the street, plus a summer camp going on in the soccer fields behind the house, so all of the noise has not been helping. Today I couldn't take it anymore so I walked up to the library (which is literally on the end of my street) and sat in the air conditioning for about 2 hours. And got just under 750 words. I've found my new favorite writing spot. I don't know why I haven't gone there sooner!  :)

YA & NA Historical Fantasy

Offline JE_Owen

• Montana
  • Be bold and mighty forces will come to your aid.
    • View Profile
    • Fantasy Author Jess E. Owen
« Reply #243 on: July 14, 2016, 11:10:32 AM »
Hi all, newbie here.

Yep! When I have two hours or less in the morning I get my best work done, because timeframe is limited and it's what I want to be doing. When I have all day I have a little more trouble avoiding distractions. Doesn't bode well for full-time writing does it? ;D I try to write in the morning when I'm fresh and, if I have the afternoon free, do the PR and "business" stuff then. The important work is already done.

Ugh, though, we are moving right and progress on my latest WIP has ground to a halt. Trying to keep the Idea Tank churning on my morning walks with the dog though . . . Here's wishing many words to all!

Offline AlexaGrave

• View Profile
    • Born to Write
« Reply #244 on: July 14, 2016, 03:15:28 PM »
I have been pretty buried in other life stuff. I'm also getting burned out on everything that goes behind a monthly release (even if they're just short stories, they all still need covers, blurbs, editing, and banging my drums to convince people to buy them).

I am not going to make myself a set schedule after A Very Grinka Christmas comes out at the end of November. Nope! No more once a month for me.  :P

Anyway, writing has been slow. Kind of non-existent. Took last week off completely, pretty much. Revised a story this week, though. Next week I have to get started on the rough draft of the second novel in my trilogy. I'm so nervous since it's been so long since I've written the first. Eek!

OK, back to obscurity and trying to not get sucked into reading ALL the Kboards thread.  ;D
Thorns Entwine the Blade - Trinity Torn Book 2 (Revisions): 18%

GSD vs. Everything (1st Draft): 60%
Dark Fantasy Writer
Alexa Grave | Born to Write | Website | Newsletter | Haunted Unicorn Publishing - Developmental Editing

Offline matt5ki

• View Profile
    • Matthew Drzymala
« Reply #245 on: July 22, 2016, 08:53:47 AM »
I'm trying to plough through the 3rd draft of my novel. I'm bashing out the dents in the story where it isn't working, but that's causing more issues. It's going to take a lot of work and the tougher chapters are giving me nightmares to the extent I keep walking away from it and tackling it in small bites.

Offline sstroble

• CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: July 22, 2016, 09:30:33 AM »
Progress!

Finally got back beta reader input for short story to be published in November. The input produced questions back on my part which produced more input which produced more questions which....

An hour before the back and forth and back and forth started, had joked with my wife:  "I need to have a Minion with an exploding head that I can use for my photo on my Facebook author page.  I can include a caption of 'This is what happens when a writer cannot get the ideas written down fast enough.'"
A few hours later, after the beta reader input and back and forth routine, my head felt like it had exploded as the changes to the changes to the changes kept materializing.

Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it?

Offline matt5ki

• View Profile
    • Matthew Drzymala
« Reply #247 on: July 25, 2016, 06:30:22 AM »
Writing has ground to a halt over the weekend, though I did a little bit on Thursday evening. At a point in my novel where I have needed to add a lot so make later events better.

It's not right but I can't think of a way to make it better, so for now I'll carry on and then go back and fix it on the next draft. It's slow going.

Offline Gisele_1169

• Atlantic Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: August 02, 2016, 01:31:49 PM »
Life happens, and at least it sounds like it's good things. Congrats on the offer! You've been so stressed about selling for so long that it has to be an enormous relief to have that out of the way.

Thanks Karen, and unfortunately, the offer fell through. :( The lady freaked out during the inspection (think there was something going on with her and her hubby). So basically, one night we find out that the inspection went off without a hitch, and next morning we find out the buyers are backing out. And now, we risk losing the deposit we put on our townhouse.

We also had to return sinks, fawcets, lightbulbs...not fun, not fun at all.  :-X Honestly, at this point, I'm starting to think the Universe is telling us to stay put for a while longer.

I managed to edit a few scenes over the last few weeks, but that's about it. My head's just not in it.

Anyhow, I hope everyone else is having better luck with the writing than me.

Offline kdiem

• View Profile
« Reply #249 on: August 02, 2016, 01:45:51 PM »
Thanks Karen, and unfortunately, the offer fell through. :( The lady freaked out during the inspection (think there was something going on with her and her hubby). So basically, one night we find out that the inspection went off without a hitch, and next morning we find out the buyers are backing out. And now, we risk losing the deposit we put on our townhouse.

We also had to return sinks, fawcets, lightbulbs...not fun, not fun at all.  :-X Honestly, at this point, I'm starting to think the Universe is telling us to stay put for a while longer.

That really sucks. On the bright side, you've gone through one inspection so you can relax a little whenever you get another offer if you go forward trying to sell. Less anxiety about major repairs that way.

I managed to edit a few scenes over the last few weeks, but that's about it. My head's just not in it.

Anyhow, I hope everyone else is having better luck with the writing than me.

Not me. Just as I started getting over a nasty cold, one of my siblings died. So, yeah. Have had trouble writing. Struggled writing a brief eulogy. Finally starting to put a few words down again on my book 2 and a short story again.

I did manage to send back a round of edits for a second pass to my editor, so got something done once the initial shock wore off.

Author. Bibliophile. Fangirl.
Karen Diem | website | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Goodreads