Why not Join Amazon Kindle Unlimited 30-Day Free Trial?
KB Featured
Flight of the Tarantula Hawk
by Michael Allan Scott

$0.99
Kindle Edition published 2014-02-10
Bestseller ranking: 4698

Product Description
On the IndieReader Best Book list and featured on NBC's Daytime Show, the second book in the Lance Underphal Mystery series is part of a new breed of supernatural thrillers which can be read and enjoyed in any order. Dark, different, featuring a damaged psychic, this is one of those disturbing novels that keeps you guessing.

Download the sample or use the "Look inside" feature for a FREE E-book offer.

Supernatural Murder Mystery - Realtor Carla Simon has her first showing in nearly eighteen months. Recovering from a nervous breakdown, she arrives at the bank-owned foreclosure well ahead of her prospect. When her buyer pins her against the wall, it turns out to be the last house she'll ever show.

Looking for a new breed of supernatural thrillers? Paranormal mysteries of murder and suspense? Perhaps a psychic detective series which can be read and enjoyed in any order? Or maybe one of t...

Author Topic: Slow Writer's Progress Thread  (Read 12689 times)  

Offline Gisele_1169

• Atlantic Canada
    • View Profile
    • G.R. LeBlanc - Haiku Poet and Fiction Writer
Re: Slow Writer's Progress Thread
« Reply #250 on: August 02, 2016, 02:39:14 PM »
That really sucks. On the bright side, you've gone through one inspection so you can relax a little whenever you get another offer if you go forward trying to sell. Less anxiety about major repairs that way.

Not me. Just as I started getting over a nasty cold, one of my siblings died. So, yeah. Have had trouble writing. Struggled writing a brief eulogy. Finally starting to put a few words down again on my book 2 and a short story again.

I did manage to send back a round of edits for a second pass to my editor, so got something done once the initial shock wore off.

Oh, Karen, I am so very sorry to hear about your loss. How awful...sending love and light to you during this difficult time.

Oh, and yes, on the inspection, at least we won't have to worry about it the next time around. I have to say, it all feels rather trivial in comparison to what you're going through right now. Hang in there.  {{{hugs}}}

Offline kdiem

• View Profile
« Reply #251 on: August 08, 2016, 07:28:05 PM »
Oh, Karen, I am so very sorry to hear about your loss. How awful...sending love and light to you during this difficult time.

Oh, and yes, on the inspection, at least we won't have to worry about it the next time around. I have to say, it all feels rather trivial in comparison to what you're going through right now. Hang in there.  {{{hugs}}}

Thank you. July was an awful month, and your well-wishes are appreciated. Life continues, and as I start to write again, that helps.

A problem never feels trivial when you're in the middle of it, and it sounds like your house sale/move has been a thoroughly frustrating affair. Best of wishes.

Author. Bibliophile. Fangirl.
Karen Diem | website | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Goodreads

Offline Gisele_1169

• Atlantic Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: August 09, 2016, 06:29:33 AM »
Thank you. July was an awful month, and your well-wishes are appreciated. Life continues, and as I start to write again, that helps.

A problem never feels trivial when you're in the middle of it, and it sounds like your house sale/move has been a thoroughly frustrating affair. Best of wishes.

Thanks, Karen. August hasn't been the greatest up to now. My husband's last grandparent passed away last week, and then yesterday I found out that a lady I greatly admired (I learned most of what I know about haiku from her) passed away. We had lost touch but I had reconnected (online) with her a couple months ago. I am so grateful for that. She had fibromyalgia and couldn't handle the pain anymore. She ended up taking her own life. I'm still in a bit of shock about it -- it's just so tragic and sad.  :(

Anyhow, let's hope the rest of August is a little happier. The one good thing so far this month is I got a new iPhone -- my last one was just useless. I was constantly having to remove apps and music to have room to take pictures (it was a 5C and I only had 5GB of storage and a big portion of it was being used by the IOS software itself). Anyhow, I now have a 6S and 16GB. Plus the screen is about a third bigger. What a difference! :)

I'm working on my morning pages with the 750words.com website. I'm liking it so far. Hoping it will ease me back into things.

On the house, no movement. We're thinking of lowering our asking price again. Think it's the only way we'll get nibbles at this point. The market is just so saturated right now, unfortunately. Ah well, I'm resigned to whatever happens at this point.

Anyhow, hope everyone is having a productive week so far!  ;)

Offline JE_Owen

• Montana
  • Be bold and mighty forces will come to your aid.
    • View Profile
    • Fantasy Author Jess E. Owen
« Reply #253 on: August 10, 2016, 12:12:58 PM »
Progress!

An hour before the back and forth and back and forth started, had joked with my wife:  "I need to have a Minion with an exploding head that I can use for my photo on my Facebook author page.  I can include a caption of 'This is what happens when a writer cannot get the ideas written down fast enough.'"

This... I was just telling someone that one of my motivations for wanting to write faster was that I have so many ideas! From a career standpoint I'd love to "quit the day job" but...eh, it also gets me out of the house and makes the writing time more precious. There are just so many books clamoring to be written.

My writing update: Nothing written. Ugh. I did get invited to participate in a neat project ( can't say more ;D )so I need to work on that because the deadline is coming up. Work schedule has been in constant flux and I'm helping a friend house hunt. AND we're still moving in to our new house, with lots of projects to get it ready for winter. But those problems seem trivial when I see a few people here in the thread have had deaths in the family--that is so difficult, and draining in every way. I wish you all well.

The silver lining: Since my brain is haywire, I've been using spare time to actually . . . read more books. And that has been super inspiring, so I'm chomping at the bit to sit down and work. Filling the well, as Ray Bradbury put it.

Good luck all!

Offline Gisele_1169

• Atlantic Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: September 14, 2016, 01:10:23 PM »
Okay, I think it's time to clear the cobwebs in here. :P How is everyone doing? So glad to see fall settling in. My son just started college this week and I'm slowly trying to settle-in to a routine. I have my chapter book out to my writing coach for an edit, and I also have a short story out for a critique with someone I discovered through the forum here.

Also just started a short story today -- got 168 words! Woo Hooo! LOL! You gotta start somewhere right?  ;)

Other than that, our house is still on the market, although we have a couple that is VERY interested. If they can sell their house I'm feeling pretty confident that we'll get an offer. And, we've got an open house scheduled for either this weekend or the next. Our realtor says fall is their busiest time, so fingers crossed!

Looking forward to hearing how everyone is doing! Happy September!!!!

Offline TheLemontree

• New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: September 16, 2016, 09:07:25 PM »
My recent non-fic book has finally cleared out of my head now that the 30day drop off has happened and I have stopped obsessively checking the dashboard.

So today I was ready to work some more on my cosy mystery.  1200 words :)

I'd been stuck at the 20k limit for a while and I decided to take some advice I've seen here on the boards and write the climax scene, so I know where I'm headed. Excellent advice. I now know more about my villain and his motivation, and have got a better sense of the character arc of my mc.

I also googled roofies, and spent time on google maps looking for places to stash a kidnapping victim near my location. :D And brain-stormed puns that might be useful for titles.

Of course, what I *should* be doing is working on a third non-fic book so I've got a nice set of three, but apparently my brain needs to change gear for a while.

Stacey Wilson | Kombucha Research

Offline LucasCWheeler

• Michigan
  • Finally published! :D
    • View Profile
    • Author's Website
« Reply #256 on: September 27, 2016, 12:27:48 AM »
I've recently had a few surges ahead with two 7k-ish word chunks. It was exhilarating to get that far ahead on a manuscript that I've been working on for 5 years (gag!). But I've been productive recently and I guess I'm posting here about it because I'm a millennial that needs instant gratification. :P Hopefully I can keep up at least a third of this pace, if not more.
Star Dog Liberation: 100%

Offline Joseph Malik

• Pacific Northwest
    • View Profile
    • Writing and Fighting with Joseph Malik
« Reply #257 on: September 27, 2016, 01:42:32 PM »
1700 words today, but I don't know if it counts because I completely rewrote a scene and then copy-pasted it over the old one.

For the past few weeks I've been going back through my conlang as the Faerie become more involved in the second book. Back when I was writing their language I came up with words for a lot of really cool ideas that we don't have words for. For instance, they have a word for the increased value something has as a memory over the value it had in your life at the time, with variants for whether the value is a lesson learned, a treasured memory that you revisit, or whether you're just better off without it. Three words for one concept that we don't have a word for at all. But then, when you live for a thousand years, you spend a lot of time in your memory.

I wish I'd laid the language bible out better. It has been a slog going through it. It's amazing, though; it's been 20 years and I can still read it pretty well. And of course I took the better part of a day to import the orthography into a TTF last week. But now I can type in Elvish, so that's something. Right?

Right?
Dragon's Trail: 100%

The New Magic - Draft 4: 50%

Hardcover now available.
Writing and Fighting with Joseph Malik | Website | Blog| Mailing List

Offline LucasCWheeler

• Michigan
    • View Profile
    • Author's Website
« Reply #258 on: September 27, 2016, 07:56:02 PM »
And of course I took the better part of a day to import the orthography into a TTF last week. But now I can type in Elvish, so that's something. Right?

Right?

Making your own fonts is entirely awesome. :D My book cover artist made her own font in her handwriting for my author name just because I liked the one she wrote in as a placeholder. Before my computer died, I could type in various runes, although I didn't create them, it was still fun to do.

I'm about to get to work on writing for the day. I've been slacking, so I have a loftier goal today. Yikes. :x

Offline Gisele_1169

• Atlantic Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: September 28, 2016, 02:16:25 PM »
Nice going on the progress, everyone! And, Joseph, creating your own fonts - wow, colour me impressed! That is so cool!  :)

Offline M T McGuire

• Bury St Edmunds
    • View Profile
    • M T McGuire website
« Reply #260 on: September 28, 2016, 11:21:15 PM »
Congrats on the progress everyone. I've been creeping forward with my project again. I'm not 100% enthused though. But I'm not sure if that's because there are a few factors in my life that are making it difficult to be enthused about anything right now or whether it's because it's not funny enough. It's a bit edgier than my other books. At the same time I'm just sort of plugging on with it thinking yeh yeh the magic will happen eventually. But I haven't sat guffawing in my chair at anything I've written so far. Then again that might be me rather than the book. I think it's going to be an interesting story, it's almost as if I can't be bothered to put the jokes in. My life feels like that too at the moment though (doing the Carer thing. Dad with dementia and mum just starting dementia too, lots of NHS red tape, bit depressing).

It's lovely to read how well everyone's doing. So what if we're slow - we're enjoying ourselves. :-)
K'Barthan Series, by M T McGuire now complete.
Escape From B-Movie Hell now out.
Warning, all these books contain humour,
futuristic technology, and sarcasm.
Find all M T McGuire's books on your local Amazon UK http://amzn.to/1TO9U6v
On my website http://www.hamgee.co.uk/books or on Smashwords http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/MTMcGuire

Offline LucasCWheeler

• Michigan
    • View Profile
    • Author's Website
« Reply #261 on: September 29, 2016, 11:06:53 AM »
Just finished another chapter at an additional 5,225 words. I'm finally getting into the exciting chapters with all the action in them leading up to the climax, so they're going quite a bit faster than my earlier chapters. My style changed a little bit in writing (since it took me years to get this far) and now I'm worried about quality and second-guessing myself. I guess I'm not used to writing this fast.

I'm keeping track of my writing on MyWriteClub. I don't necessarily do my sprints there though, since copying and pasting back to Scrivener gives it funky formatting which I have to take time away to fix. I just like the UI and the feeling of being less alone in the world.

Offline Peter Spenser

• near Buffalo, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: October 08, 2016, 05:25:12 AM »
I have not read every post so, if I'm repeating something, please pass.

I also am a slow writer, and sometimes deride myself for it, but I took comfort upon reading this:

http://theconversation.com/the-man-with-no-plot-how-i-watched-lee-child-write-a-jack-reacher-novel-51220

Offline LucasCWheeler

• Michigan
    • View Profile
    • Author's Website
« Reply #263 on: October 08, 2016, 08:59:02 AM »
After four years, I finally completed my first novel. :D

Offline TheLemontree

• New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: October 08, 2016, 12:27:01 PM »
Woot!
Congratulations!

Sent from my GT-S7390 using Tapatalk

Stacey Wilson | Kombucha Research

Offline LucasCWheeler

• Michigan
    • View Profile
    • Author's Website
« Reply #265 on: October 08, 2016, 12:48:17 PM »

Offline M T McGuire

• Bury St Edmunds
    • View Profile
    • M T McGuire website
« Reply #266 on: October 09, 2016, 03:47:38 AM »

Fine job! Booyacka!
On my website http://www.hamgee.co.uk/books or on Smashwords http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/MTMcGuire

Offline LucasCWheeler

• Michigan
    • View Profile
    • Author's Website
« Reply #267 on: October 09, 2016, 04:28:44 AM »

Offline Gisele_1169

• Atlantic Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: October 09, 2016, 05:39:40 AM »

That is FANTASTIC, Lucas! Congratulations!!!!  :D

Offline kdiem

• View Profile
« Reply #269 on: October 09, 2016, 01:10:26 PM »
Congrats on the progress everyone. I've been creeping forward with my project again. I'm not 100% enthused though. But I'm not sure if that's because there are a few factors in my life that are making it difficult to be enthused ...

No wonder you're unenthused with as rough as things sound for you right now. My sympathies, and best wishes.

If it helps any, I think your blog is hilarious, and I've just gotten a copy of your Few Are Chosen to try?

I also am a slow writer, and sometimes deride myself for it, but I took comfort upon reading this:

http://theconversation.com/the-man-with-no-plot-how-i-watched-lee-child-write-a-jack-reacher-novel-51220

Thanks for the link! Interesting read, and yes, a bit of a comfort.

Congrats! :)  Good luck

Author. Bibliophile. Fangirl.
Karen Diem | website | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Goodreads

Offline LucasCWheeler

• Michigan
    • View Profile
    • Author's Website
« Reply #270 on: October 09, 2016, 08:12:42 PM »

Congrats! :)  Good luck

That is FANTASTIC, Lucas! Congratulations!!!!  :D

Thank you both. :D

Offline Peter Spenser

• near Buffalo, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: October 11, 2016, 09:50:26 AM »

After I read the article, I went to the library and took out the book that the article is based on, REACHER SAID NOTHING: Lee Child and the Making of MAKE ME, by Andy Martin.

It is an eye-opener and should be a comfort to all slow writers. It turns out that Lee Child is a slow-as-molasses pantser! He took seven-and-a-half months to finish Make Me, and all he started with was his genre, his predetermined main character, and the basic premiss of each book: main character goes somewhere and has an adventure.

He even readily admits to all of the things that he does not have finalized when he begins the book.

It's a fascinating look inside the mind and working methods of one of today's most successful genre authors.

Offline M T McGuire

• Bury St Edmunds
    • View Profile
    • M T McGuire website
« Reply #272 on: October 12, 2016, 03:32:38 PM »
No wonder you're unenthused with as rough as things sound for you right now. My sympathies, and best wishes.

If it helps any, I think your blog is hilarious, and I've just gotten a copy of your Few Are Chosen to try?

Bless you! Thanks so much. Things are a bit [crap] so I'm glad the blog is going down well. I really enjoy doing it. As for grabbing a copy of Few. Yay! Fistbump! Thank you very much. I hope you enjoy it now!

Love the thing about Lee Child too, as a total pantser, I love that somebody that famous is too. Also Pratchett, took about 2 years to write each book, he just managed to get one out every six months because he would write several at once! ;-)

We are not alone! Mwah ahahargh!

Offline L.J.Simpson

• Japan
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: October 14, 2016, 07:22:09 AM »
Haven't posted on this thread for a while, but well done everyone.
Personally, I've had more time to devote to writing of late and have managed to do in excess of 500 words on each of the last ten days. Let me tell you, this is a LOT faster than normal. Admittedly, I had it all worked out before writing but I was still giving myself a hearty pat on the back. Then I chanced upon that other thread where someone is  blasting out 100K in just one week and I once again feel inadequate, inconsequential, ineffective and insecure.
Luckily, there is an answer to this. It also begins with 'in' and is, of course, inebriated. I've just done my 500 and shall have a couple of cold beers before I retire for the night.
Goodnight to you all :D 

Across Enemy Space : 40%
L.J. Simpson

Offline M T McGuire

• Bury St Edmunds
    • View Profile
    • M T McGuire website
« Reply #274 on: October 15, 2016, 11:02:19 AM »
Haven't posted on this thread for a while, but well done everyone.
Personally, I've had more time to devote to writing of late and have managed to do in excess of 500 words on each of the last ten days. Let me tell you, this is a LOT faster than normal. Admittedly, I had it all worked out before writing but I was still giving myself a hearty pat on the back. Then I chanced upon that other thread where someone is  blasting out 100K in just one week and I once again feel inadequate, inconsequential, ineffective and insecure.
Luckily, there is an answer to this. It also begins with 'in' and is, of course, inebriated. I've just done my 500 and shall have a couple of cold beers before I retire for the night.
Goodnight to you all :D 

Great going. Ignore the spawny 100,000 a week person, in three weeks, when their fingers no longer work, we'll still be typing! ;-)