Kindle Forum banner

Slow Writer's Progress Thread

20K views 289 replies 58 participants last post by  writer-artist-mom 
#1 ·
Since there are so many slow writers here, I'm starting a progress thread where we can cheer each other on, or commiserate when the words refuse to come.

I had been doing well and then went through 5 days of no writing (was busy cleaning for a house visit and just couldn't seem to concentrate). But yesterday I had a great day -- reached 1,228 words, which is a FANTASTIC day for me. I don't often reach 1k, and then today I got another 753 words for a grand total of 69,097 words on my YA paranormal. I've never gotten so much on a project before, so I'm quite excited! :D

Hoping to hit 70k by the end of the weekend.

#102 ·
Here's a quote from Joseph Heller:

Heller told an interviewer in 1974. "It came so hard. I really thought it would be the only thing I ever wrote. Working on Catch-22, I'd become furious and despondent that I could only write a page [or so] a night. I'd say to myself, 'Christ, I'm a mature adult with a master's degree in English, why can't I work faster?' "
From this article: http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/2011/08/heller-201108

G
#103 ·
My husband said something revolutionary to me last night. He said, "I don't want to hear about your word counts anymore. Stop thinking about your story in terms of word counts."

Huh? Not talk about word counts? Why, that's how we writers measure progress, output. If we don't talk about word count then how do we talk about our work-in-process (my husband hates this term, but that's for another post)?

"Then how am I supposed to talk about it then?" I whined. (I added whined as a dialogue tag in case you couldn't hear the whining from the sentence).

My husband, the process engineer, former newspaper editor, answered, "By how much of the process has been completed. Or if the story is structured, what piece is underway, 50% finished, etc?"

Today I will be concentrating on story progression rather than word count. Already I feel less stressed...

Your thoughts?

#104 ·
Stevie O said:
My first two novels I wrote 'on the fly' as it were, which was exhilarating but difficult, but as my third book is a detective thriller, I knew that I had to nail the plot and didn't even let myself start it until I'd got my characters sketched and the outline ( and those all important red herrings ) factored in. Have to say that it made writing a lot easier....or is it that I'm learning?? :)
Writing is a learning process. That's one of the things I love about it. There is no such thing as a wasted effort. Even if you rip up 20 pages and toss them in the trash, hopefully you learned something while doing so.

In a way, it's almost like the basketball player that continually shoots baskets, over and over, to hone his skill. Simply by doing, you get better.

#105 ·
Princess Charming said:
My husband said something revolutionary to me last night. He said, "I don't want to hear about your word counts anymore. Stop thinking about your story in terms of word counts."

Huh? Not talk about word counts? Why, that's how we writers measure progress, output. If we don't talk about word count then how do we talk about our work-in-process (my husband hates this term, but that's for another post)?

"Then how am I supposed to talk about it then?" I whined. (I added whined as a dialogue tag in case you couldn't hear the whining from the sentence).

My husband, the process engineer, former newspaper editor, answered, "By how much of the process has been completed. Or if the story is structured, what piece is underway, 50% finished, etc?"

Today I will be concentrating on story progression rather than word count. Already I feel less stressed...

Your thoughts?
Your husband is a wise man. :)

#107 ·
AlexaGrave said:
My update: yesterday I revised a 6k short story (quick one-hour revision) and wrote 1k on my non-fiction (Sunday and Monday was a bust for me).

Today I have horrible neck and back pain because I slept wrong, so we'll see if I can stay awake when the toddler naps to edit the novel - haha.
You're still making forward progress and that's what counts! So sorry about the neck and shoulder pain -- I'm in the same boat. Really need to start doing my yoga on a daily basis again.

I no longer keep track of my daily word counts. I focus on forward progress. My system consists of putting a sticker on my calendar every day that I work on any form of writing. For me, simplicity is key. :)

#108 ·
Princess Charming said:

Your thoughts?
Fantastic advice!! :) and yes, it's good to get away from that headspace, if you can! I'd rather write a brilliant paragraph than a chapter that is worthless and has to be binned ( can you tell I'm speaking from personal experience! ;)

#109 ·
Gisele_1169 said:
You're still making forward progress and that's what counts! So sorry about the neck and shoulder pain -- I'm in the same boat. Really need to start doing my yoga on a daily basis again.

I no longer keep track of my daily word counts. I focus on forward progress. My system consists of putting a sticker on my calendar every day that I work on any form of writing. For me, simplicity is key. :)
ah yes, the yoga, managed an hour and half today and felt like a new being and all ready to start writing again! ;)

#110 ·
Smarte said:
Writing is a learning process. That's one of the things I love about it. There is no such thing as a wasted effort. Even if you rip up 20 pages and toss them in the trash, hopefully you learned something while doing so.

In a way, it's almost like the basketball player that continually shoots baskets, over and over, to hone his skill. Simply by doing, you get better.
Thankyou! You hit the nail on the head I think.... I love this place, everyone 'gets' what I'm on about! :) :)

#113 ·
Oh, I completely agree that it's best for some people to not even look at the word count and just look at the progress and forward momentum. If that helps you feel less stressed, then that is the way to go!

Me though, I am obsessed with numbers. I love them. Hence my crazy spreadsheet. Maybe at one time it deterred me and depressed me, but since I have been writing for over 2 decades, I don't get as down about it. I still see the, "I've made it one step forward" no matter how many words I've written. But I've finally settled into a groove where since I know myself and how I write better, I can make word count/progress goals for myself that I know are attainable. And if I fall a little short, I'm not frantic. I make sure the stuff for publication is planned to be done WAY ahead of time, so I have plenty of wiggle room. Which is kind of funny because I'm also an awesome procrastinator. I'm a walking contradiction - lol.

I am actually thrilled with my progress this month, especially since it's way better than the previous 3 months.  :D

Oh and yoga -- been planning to pick that up again, but I keep putting it off. I should really just do it! But today I think hubbie will try to help with a shoulder rub.  ;)

#114 ·
Stevie O said:
Hallo Adam :) My favourite quote is from Doris Lessing "You should write, first of all, to please yourself. You shouldn't care a damn about anybody else at all. But writing can't be a way of life - the important part of writing is living. You have to live in such a way that your writing emerges from it."
It takes me a year to write a book, that's why I was so delighted to find this place!! :)
Welcome Adam, and some of my writing colleagues would say that a year is fast Stevie. I've belonged to a critique group for quite some time. A number of our authors have been working on their first books for 5 or 6 years. I and another colleague who've been doing this a while each took 10 years to write and edit our first books. It got a bit faster each time after that, but I'm still not prolific by any means.

And as a mystery writer, I'm a big fan of outlining the first third of the book, where characters and subplots are introduced, murder happens, etc. I do some outlining in the middle section and by the last third, I let the words fly because the story's been set out and there's a logical way to ramp up the tension action and reveal the killer. In other words, I always know who did it and why before I start writing. Once in a while it changes, during the writing process but I spend a lot fair bit of time thinking about what I'm going to write before I begin. And I really like that part of the process!

#115 ·
Smarte said:
Congrats! Sounds like you are finding your groove.
Yes, and hopefully I won't lose it this time! ;)

AlexaGrave said:
Oh, I completely agree that it's best for some people to not even look at the word count and just look at the progress and forward momentum. If that helps you feel less stressed, then that is the way to go!

Me though, I am obsessed with numbers. I love them. Hence my crazy spreadsheet. Maybe at one time it deterred me and depressed me, but since I have been writing for over 2 decades, I don't get as down about it. I still see the, "I've made it one step forward" no matter how many words I've written. But I've finally settled into a groove where since I know myself and how I write better, I can make word count/progress goals for myself that I know are attainable. And if I fall a little short, I'm not frantic. I make sure the stuff for publication is planned to be done WAY ahead of time, so I have plenty of wiggle room. Which is kind of funny because I'm also an awesome procrastinator. I'm a walking contradiction - lol.

I am actually thrilled with my progress this month, especially since it's way better than the previous 3 months. :D

Oh and yoga -- been planning to pick that up again, but I keep putting it off. I should really just do it! But today I think hubbie will try to help with a shoulder rub. ;)
I think it's wonderful that you know what works for you, Alexa! And I'm glad to hear that you're having a productive month! Hope the shoulder rub helps! :)

I'm also really enjoying reading about everyone's processes. This thread has become so encouraging!

#116 ·
Gisele_1169 said:
Yes, and hopefully I won't lose it this time! ;)

I think it's wonderful that you know what works for you, Alexa! And I'm glad to hear that you're having a productive month! Hope the shoulder rub helps! :)

I'm also really enjoying reading about everyone's processes. This thread has become so encouraging!
Wonder if we could convince all of our spouses/significant others/local masseuses that shoulder rubs are a vital part of the (slow) writing process?

#117 ·
Does anyone else find pressure a hindrance rather than a motivator? I am a slow writer and probably will always be, but lighting a fire under my butt doesn't really seem to do what it's supposed to for me. I got this lovely line in a review of my sequel: "so all I can say is N D Iverson had better be putting in some night shifts because I for one am counting the days till book 3 !!!!"

Kind of languishing now... :p

#118 ·
N. D. Iverson said:
Does anyone else find pressure a hindrance rather than a motivator? I am a slow writer and probably will always be, but lighting a fire under my butt doesn't really seem to do what it's supposed to for me. I got this lovely line in a review of my sequel: "so all I can say is N D Iverson had better be putting in some night shifts because I for one am counting the days till book 3 !!!!"

The way I cope with pressure depends a lot on my frame of mind. Also, if it comes from a publisher, it tends to be a great motivator because I don't like to let people down. The same is true for my writers' group, although the pressure isn't as tense because the stakes aren't as high. The pressure I put on myself can be relentless, but if I'm too hard on myself I get tired, then fed up, then apathetic. I've learned to be much easier on myself, content with taking baby steps at times, because at least I'm moving forward :)

#119 ·
Debra Purdy Kong said:
The way I cope with pressure depends a lot on my frame of mind. Also, if it comes from a publisher, it tends to be a great motivator because I don't like to let people down. The same is true for my writers' group, although the pressure isn't as tense because the stakes aren't as high. The pressure I put on myself can be relentless, but if I'm too hard on myself I get tired, then fed up, then apathetic. I've learned to be much easier on myself, content with taking baby steps at times, because at least I'm moving forward :)
As you said, frame of mind is a big factor. I've been stressed with LIFE in general lately and thus have been putting more stress on myself because I'm not writing the 3rd book as fast as I should be...

#120 ·
Debra Purdy Kong said:
Welcome Adam, and some of my writing colleagues would say that a year is fast Stevie. I've belonged to a critique group for quite some time. A number of our authors have been working on their first books for 5 or 6 years. I and another colleague who've been doing this a while each took 10 years to write and edit our first books. It got a bit faster each time after that, but I'm still not prolific by any means.

And as a mystery writer, I'm a big fan of outlining the first third of the book, where characters and subplots are introduced, murder happens, etc. I do some outlining in the middle section and by the last third, I let the words fly because the story's been set out and there's a logical way to ramp up the tension action and reveal the killer. In other words, I always know who did it and why before I start writing. Once in a while it changes, during the writing process but I spend a lot fair bit of time thinking about what I'm going to write before I begin. And I really like that part of the process!
Debra, I've just written an English detective thriller (it's in the KS program right now...cue bitten nails, sleepless nights etc) and now I'm trying to plot the second & third one. I once read of a famous thriller writer who didn't know himself who dunnit till the very end, which sounds fantastic but I'm not sure I could do it! Thing is I think I would be making a lot of work for myself, it's difficult to know how successful my own thrillers are because I know them inside out..... but thanks for the encouragement, I love this thread! Everyone is so warm and friendly :) :)

#121 ·
N. D. Iverson said:

Languish and dream....I'm just awkward, if I get peer pressure I just do the opposite! tuttut! But seriously, I've noticed a lot on this thread of how much work you can do that isn't a daily word count and I think it's true. Anything that inspires you must be good for your writing surely? ( Can you tell that this is what I keep telling myself?? )

#122 ·
N. D. Iverson said:
As you said, frame of mind is a big factor. I've been stressed with LIFE in general lately and thus have been putting more stress on myself because I'm not writing the 3rd book as fast as I should be...
Who decides how fast "you should be" writing your third book? Sounds like you're being hard on yourself. Instead, focus on the fact that someone loves your work, and take the writing one day at a time. :)

#123 ·
N. D. Iverson said:

I don't mind external pressures. I work as an advertising copywriter, so am dealing with daily deadlines. They're a great motivator for cranking out work.

I'm not fond of internal pressures. When you put pressure on yourself, you're apt to explode. Rather than putting pressure on myself to write X number of pages in X number of hours, I prefer to set up routines, like I'm going to work on my fiction on Sunday afternoons. Once such routines become habit, it releases the pressure.

#125 ·
sstroble said:
Am curious if your day job skills help you to write the blurbs for your books?
Writing the blurb is my least favorite part of writing.
Good question. I've worked as a journalist, an advertising copywriter and have ghost written dozens of magazine articles for corporate executives looking to make a name for themselves (amazing how many CEOs and other corporate big shots are poor writers).

Wish I could say my day job translates into a silver bullet when it comes to writing book blurbs. It doesn't. I'm right alongside every other writer that is probably experimenting with their book description trying to find the right promotional copy that is going to land them on Oprah's Book List.

In advertising, it's all about finding the 'hook.' Usually that means zooming in on a specific product benefit and spinning it in such a way that it is indispensable to your readers. Whether it'll make your teeth whiter, help you lose weight, make all your neighbors envious... there has to be something in it for YOU.

Haven't quite figured out how to translate that into book blurbs, but if I do, will gladly share it here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.