Why not Join Amazon Kindle Unlimited 30-Day Free Trial?

Author Topic: Slow Writer's Progress Thread  (Read 12654 times)  

Offline Gisele_1169

• Atlantic Canada
    • View Profile
    • G.R. LeBlanc - Haiku Poet and Fiction Writer
Re: Slow Writer's Progress Thread
« Reply #275 on: October 16, 2016, 01:19:52 PM »
Great going. Ignore the spawny 100,000 a week person, in three weeks, when their fingers no longer work, we'll still be typing! ;-)

Agreed! The worst thing you can do is compare yourself to other writers. Focus on your own journey. Just because someone writes faster than you, it doesn't mean they are a better writer, or write better stories.

My update:

I'm in a total writing funk. Can't focus AT ALL. Worked on revising a chapter book for a little while, but the last two weeks I haven't done anything regarding my writing...sigh. BUT, we finally got another offer on our house. If all goes well, we could be in our new townhouse by mid-November. This entire situation has been so draining, so I'm hoping if this goes through, it will help me find my focus again. Fingers crossed!  ;D

Offline M T McGuire

• Bury St Edmunds
    • View Profile
    • M T McGuire website
« Reply #276 on: October 16, 2016, 11:30:49 PM »
Fingers crossed for you. Stress is a real mojo killer.

K'Barthan Series, by M T McGuire now complete.
Escape From B-Movie Hell now out.
Warning, all these books contain humour,
futuristic technology, and sarcasm.
Find all M T McGuire's books on your local Amazon UK http://amzn.to/1TO9U6v
On my website http://www.hamgee.co.uk/books or on Smashwords http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/MTMcGuire

Offline Gisele_1169

• Atlantic Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: October 17, 2016, 03:24:03 AM »
Fingers crossed for you. Stress is a real mojo killer.

Thank you so much! I'm trying not to get too excited until everything with all the houses involved goes through and that all papers are signed. As long as there aren't any unexpected issues, everything should be official and the sold sign up by October 27th. ;D

Offline L.J.Simpson

• Japan
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: October 17, 2016, 07:23:50 AM »
Agreed! The worst thing you can do is compare yourself to other writers. Focus on your own journey. Just because someone writes faster than you, it doesn't mean they are a better writer, or write better stories.

My update:

I'm in a total writing funk. Can't focus AT ALL. Worked on revising a chapter book for a little while, but the last two weeks I haven't done anything regarding my writing...sigh. BUT, we finally got another offer on our house. If all goes well, we could be in our new townhouse by mid-November. This entire situation has been so draining, so I'm hoping if this goes through, it will help me find my focus again. Fingers crossed!  ;D

Of course, you are right about focusing on my own journey - and indeed I do. I'm not far off finishing the collection of shorter works and all being well, I'll publish sometime next month.
Hope the house moving goes through OK.  I'll never go through it again, that's for sure - until the move to my final resting place, at any rate.
Just to cheer you up - and this is a true story - when I was in my late twenties I put my small, one bed apartment up for sale. The market was really depressed at the time but I finally received an acceptable offer from a guy in his sixties. I duly signed the contracts and waited for the call from my solicitor to say that the deal had been completed. Well, I did get a call from my solicitor, to say that the prospective buyer had dropped dead with a heart attack the day before he was due to sign. I ended up living there another few years.
I just hope you have better luck!  ;D
Across Enemy Space : 40%
L.J. Simpson

Offline Gisele_1169

• Atlantic Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: October 17, 2016, 07:41:07 AM »
Of course, you are right about focusing on my own journey - and indeed I do. I'm not far off finishing the collection of shorter works and all being well, I'll publish sometime next month.
Hope the house moving goes through OK.  I'll never go through it again, that's for sure - until the move to my final resting place, at any rate.
Just to cheer you up - and this is a true story - when I was in my late twenties I put my small, one bed apartment up for sale. The market was really depressed at the time but I finally received an acceptable offer from a guy in his sixties. I duly signed the contracts and waited for the call from my solicitor to say that the deal had been completed. Well, I did get a call from my solicitor, to say that the prospective buyer had dropped dead with a heart attack the day before he was due to sign. I ended up living there another few years.
I just hope you have better luck!  ;D

Good luck with your launch! And that is CRAZY about your apartment and the buyer. Oh my gosh!  :o

Oh, and on my adventures, well, our hot water tank also decided to let go this morning! AND, the roofers are already here to fix a leak. It is just by some crazy chance that I went down to the basement when I did. Only damage was to an old bed that was propped against a wall. Thank goodness.

At this point, I don't have much sanity left... :o ???

Offline kdiem

• View Profile
« Reply #280 on: October 17, 2016, 07:10:34 PM »
Good luck on the house, Gisele_1169! All those repairs mean the house will have less major issues at the next inspection. Must have been a bad couple of weeks for water heaters... we just got ours replaced a few days ago as our old one got uppity and decided we didn't need water any hotter than lukewarm ever.

I'm finally starting to get out of my summer slump. While I've averaged 400 words a night on Book 2 this month, that doesn't count all the stuff I've deleted and rewritten, or the 3000 words put into two short stories. I meant to just make notes on the short story ideas and focus on Book 2, but at least one should be ready to release before Christmas so I can give my newsletter peeps a gift. Not bad for a month that included a four day trip, guests, sickness, and the usual house malarkey.

Any other slow writers tempted by dictation software? I keep wondering if it would make it faster, as my phone voice recognition is lousy. Especially when I use a cheesy accent. 

Author. Bibliophile. Fangirl.
Karen Diem | website | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Goodreads

Offline L.J.Simpson

• Japan
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: October 17, 2016, 09:42:04 PM »
Any other slow writers tempted by dictation software? I keep wondering if it would make it faster, as my phone voice recognition is lousy. Especially when I use a cheesy accent.

I tried voice recognition software in the past - just for e mail and that kind of stuff. Frankly, it didn't work so well for me; there were just to many errors and it drove me crazy going back and fixing them all. In fairness, I should have spent more time training the software, which itself has probably improved since I tried last.
The reason that I probably wouldn't bother using it for writing is that my sentences rarely survive more than a couple of re-reads. I just like to play around with sentences until they sound just the way I want them to. This is another way of saying I don't have a natural flair for writing elegant prose at a whim. I really have to work at it. So, the keyboard for me!
Across Enemy Space : 40%
L.J. Simpson

Offline N. D. Iverson

• Canada
    • View Profile
    • Author Website
« Reply #282 on: October 18, 2016, 05:38:37 PM »
Stress is a real mojo killer.

Ain't that the truth?

And colds. I've caught the dreaded cold season sickness and it's thrown a wrench in all the strides I've made over the last 30 days trying to get my 3rd book finished (I WAS lighting a fire under my butt until my body gave up on me :P).

Just call me the thread killer.
N. D. Iverson | Author Website

Offline M T McGuire

• Bury St Edmunds
    • View Profile
    • M T McGuire website
« Reply #283 on: October 19, 2016, 03:04:23 PM »
Ain't that the truth?

And colds. I've caught the dreaded cold season sickness and it's thrown a wrench in all the strides I've made over the last 30 days trying to get my 3rd book finished (I WAS lighting a fire under my butt until my body gave up on me :P).

Mwahahaaaargh! Oh yes and colds! What [illegitimate persons] they ate they stuff up everything! Clearly a head full of snot is incompatible with a head full of plot. my sympathy. I have suffered many, many colds and I loathe them with a passion.
K'Barthan Series, by M T McGuire now complete.
Escape From B-Movie Hell now out.
Warning, all these books contain humour,
futuristic technology, and sarcasm.
Find all M T McGuire's books on your local Amazon UK http://amzn.to/1TO9U6v
On my website http://www.hamgee.co.uk/books or on Smashwords http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/MTMcGuire

Offline Gisele_1169

• Atlantic Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: October 21, 2016, 04:49:40 AM »
Good luck on the house, Gisele_1169! All those repairs mean the house will have less major issues at the next inspection. Must have been a bad couple of weeks for water heaters... we just got ours replaced a few days ago as our old one got uppity and decided we didn't need water any hotter than lukewarm ever.

I'm finally starting to get out of my summer slump. While I've averaged 400 words a night on Book 2 this month, that doesn't count all the stuff I've deleted and rewritten, or the 3000 words put into two short stories. I meant to just make notes on the short story ideas and focus on Book 2, but at least one should be ready to release before Christmas so I can give my newsletter peeps a gift. Not bad for a month that included a four day trip, guests, sickness, and the usual house malarkey.

Thanks, Karen! And so sorry to hear about your hot water tank, too! I can't help but think that the super moon was partly to blame there.  ;)

Glad to hear that you're getting back into the flow with the writing. Considering all the business and stuff you've had going on, that's amazing. Good luck with your next release, too!

On the dictation software, I've only dabbled with it a bit. I'm such a slow writer though, that I can't see it being much of a benefit for me, at least not at the moment. I probably will experiment with it again at some point down the line.  :)

Offline Gisele_1169

• Atlantic Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: October 21, 2016, 04:52:42 AM »
I tried voice recognition software in the past - just for e mail and that kind of stuff. Frankly, it didn't work so well for me; there were just to many errors and it drove me crazy going back and fixing them all. In fairness, I should have spent more time training the software, which itself has probably improved since I tried last.
The reason that I probably wouldn't bother using it for writing is that my sentences rarely survive more than a couple of re-reads. I just like to play around with sentences until they sound just the way I want them to. This is another way of saying I don't have a natural flair for writing elegant prose at a whim. I really have to work at it. So, the keyboard for me!

Yeah, I get that. I also found it really annoying to have to speak out punctuation. So distracting.

Offline Gisele_1169

• Atlantic Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: October 21, 2016, 05:03:46 AM »
Ain't that the truth?

I used to get colds all the time. Now, as soon as I feel something coming on, I take echinacea. It's worked wonders. And, even if I still do come down with something, it's usually gone in a couple days. Taking vitamin D during the winter also has helped a lot. But yeah, I sympathize. Getting sick totally sucks. :(

I hope you feel better soon!

House Update: We're still waiting. Right now, everything hinges on the sale of a mini-home two houses down the chain (buyers need a co-signer). If that can go through, everyone else involved has been pre-approved on the financial side of things. If their buyer (the mini-home) falls through though, there is still a lot of interest and the realtor said she had no worries about them finding a buyer. The owners still had showings yesterday, even though they already have an offer on the table. This means they really want to sell, which is good!

Nothing on the writing side...sigh :(

Offline Gisele_1169

• Atlantic Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: September 05, 2017, 11:21:26 AM »
Well, you've all been way too quiet. Just wanted to bump this thread up again.  ;D

We've been in our new townhouse since December (and absolutely loving it!) but I'm still in a writing funk.  :( Now that summer is over and September is here I'm hoping I'll be able to get back into the writing. Currently going through Joanna Penn's How To Write A Novel course and reading Libbie Hawker's book on outlining: Take Off Your Pants. Anyone read this one? I'm finding it very interesting.

Hubby is away this week on business too, so the house will be quiet. Fingers crossed!

How is everyone doing?

Offline AlexaGrave

• View Profile
    • Born to Write
« Reply #288 on: September 07, 2017, 10:53:34 AM »
Well, you've all been way too quiet. Just wanted to bump this thread up again.  ;D

We've been in our new townhouse since December (and absolutely loving it!) but I'm still in a writing funk.  :( Now that summer is over and September is here I'm hoping I'll be able to get back into the writing. Currently going through Joanna Penn's How To Write A Novel course and reading Libbie Hawker's book on outlining: Take Off Your Pants. Anyone read this one? I'm finding it very interesting.

Hubby is away this week on business too, so the house will be quiet. Fingers crossed!

How is everyone doing?

We have gotten quiet! I hope you get some writing done this week with your hubbie away.  ;)

I'm making progress. Finished the rough draft of Thorns, the sequel novel for the Trinity Torn series in June. Since then I've drafted, revised, and edited a 16k novelette, the sequel to Hell Hath No Fury. Pre-order due up on the 13th and release on the 26th!  :P

Now I'm getting the hang of Aeon Timeline and re-reading Mind while plugging in events. Then I need to write out my revision plan and dive into revisions for Thorns.

So, forward momentum!  :D
Thorns Entwine the Blade - Trinity Torn Book 2 (Revisions): 18%

GSD vs. Everything (1st Draft): 60%
Dark Fantasy Writer
Alexa Grave | Born to Write | Website | Newsletter | Haunted Unicorn Publishing - Developmental Editing

Offline michisjourdi

• Missouri
    • View Profile
    • Teddy's Blog
« Reply #289 on: September 07, 2017, 07:03:57 PM »
It's not easy to find time for writing when you're going to school five days a week. And you have to spend most of your off time doing assignments for the aforementioned school. But I managed about 800 words the other day. And it felt good.  8)

The upside of school is writing seems more fun than doing assignments, so now I'm procrastinating by writing.  :-X

Teddy O'Malley | Teddy's Thoughts

Offline Pandorra

• View Profile
    • Legends of Elera
« Reply #290 on: September 07, 2017, 07:27:23 PM »
Consequences. I find myself bogged down with them at the moment. I am not only a pantser, I think I am a little bit crazy when it comes to my writing .. i.e. if I forget to set something up for my MC or char's along the way, I make them do without and improvise... this may come from my D&D days but this is where it takes me back to consequence... then my MC has a thing with animals.. so we see a lot of them in the book, but letting them GO once they stroll into a scene .. well lets just say that's not always easy to do, so now I have a baby wolven along I didn't plan for .. that caused several pages of writing I also didn't plan for and a small detour from the main road due to the MC's 'guide' and the wolven not being welcome in public .. now I have to work one into a scene in the town I'm coming to and let the other go do his own thing for awhile, which is even MORE pages I didn't plan on .. and all of that is just the tip of a long iceberg lol ..

So yea, I wrote 12-15k words in 2 days, after a week of avoidance... but only 1k of it was actually intended..  :-\
Fate\'s Fallen: 100%

Legends of Elera - Covenant: 54%

Evolution\'s Child: 100%
Dean Rencraft | Website

Offline Gisele_1169

• Atlantic Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: September 13, 2017, 06:31:45 AM »
AlexaGrave: It sounds like you're making wonderful progress! Woot! Keep it up! :)

michisjourdi: 800 words is great! Hang in there. Every word counts!  ;)

Pandorra: I know how you feel -- my stories tend to go all over the place, too. I'm still working on finding the right balance between outlining and pantsing. Fitting it all together becomes absolutely overwhelming. And, 12 - 15k in two days? Wow... :o

My update isn't even worth mentioning...honestly, some days I feel like just throwing in the towel on novels. It shouldn't be this hard... ::)

Offline Eliza Marie Jones

• Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: September 13, 2017, 09:02:23 AM »
To everyone: keep writing, slow progress is better than none! And it does add up.

I'm managing about 1100 words/week right now being a stay at home mom of an almost 6 month old. I keep a little paper notebook where I nurse her to get a few words down sometimes, and as she gets older she plays by herself for 15-20 minutes and I can sit next to her while I type on my laptop  :) I'm not willing to sacrifice any sleep by writing after she's gone to bed lol.

YA Fantasy Author