Author Topic: Post your iPad, iPhone, iPod, Apple news articles, blog articles, etc. here!  (Read 25354 times)  

Offline Eeyore

• Hundred Acre Wood
    • View Profile
    • Kobayashi Maru Scenario Punk'd
iPads covered with Flash ads

The lack of flash on the iPhone and iPad has also meant freedom from pop-up and pop-over ads hocking comedies and Chryslers, but that all may come to an end soon. A new partnership just announced between Adobe and Greystripe means that websites will convert flash video to HTML5 on the fly so you dont miss out on this exciting content.

While at first glance, you may be thinking now I can get all the great flash content Ive been missing but Greystripe makes it clear on their site that they arent trying to help you see 30 Rock, they are trying to make sure you dont miss out on any ads.

Will it even work? Will the mighty Steve simply push an update that blocks this? Apparently we will find out later this year. the real question is, why create something in flash, then use an add-on to make it work in HTML 5? Is this is Adobes only hope to expand the lifespan of Flash and its developer community until they can produce HTML 5 development tools? While this partnership may benefit the Flash community and a few advertisers, it seems like nothing but a negative for the millions of iPhone, iPad and iPod touch users.

http://www.greystripe.com/flashads/

Best Wishes!
" I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own. I retired."

Offline Eeyore

• Hundred Acre Wood
    • View Profile
Hulu Coming to iPad?

Hulu plans to charge, expand to devices: sources
Tue, Jun 8 2010

By Sue Zeidler

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Free video website Hulu plans to soon begin charging customers and is looking to expand its content to consumer devices like the Xbox and iPad, according to two sources, as the site's media owners experiment with platforms beyond an ad-supported TV model.

Those sources and another with knowledge of the matter said that Hulu, the website for TV viewing owned by News Corp, General Electric's NBC Universal and Walt Disney Co, was developing a subscription service to be rolled out on multiple devices in the next month or two. It was not clear if that service would be offered before Hulu is available on devices.

One of those devices is expected to be Microsoft Corp's Xbox, which also features Netflix Inc's movie streaming service, one of the sources said on Tuesday. Another one of the sources said Hulu was also working to offer its service on Apple Inc's iPad.

Hulu, which generated an estimated $100 million in advertising revenue last year, will continue to offer newer episodes of shows like Fox's "Glee" free of charge, but it will also charge viewers a monthly fee to see older episodes and other content, two of the sources said.

Hulu and Microsoft declined to comment.

Entertainment and cable industry executives will be closely watching Hulu's attempt at a paid model. Competition is intense, with entertainment companies and content distributors scrambling to become top dog in a worldwide online video market expected to hit $16.1 billion through paid and ad-supported services by 2012, according to ABI Research, which tracks media trends.

Since its launch in 2008, Hulu has emerged as one of the star players in online video, offering TV shows like "The Office," "The Simpsons" or "Lost" as well as hundreds of full length movies. Advertising has enabled it to be free.

Hulu is hardly an exception. Across the Internet, nearly all movies, TV shows, and video clips can be seen for free if the consumer is willing to tolerate advertisements. But that could change quickly if a Hulu paid service succeeds, since other entertainment companies are likely to accelerate their own efforts to create subscription models.

WILL CONSUMERS PAY?

Hulu's plan is not without risks, given how accustomed its users are to watching free video.

"Many consumers already pay $100 or more monthly for TV, telephony and high-speed Internet access and are unlikely to welcome an incremental fee merely to watch from the Internet some of the programs they already get," said Phil Leigh, an analyst with Inside Digital Media.

But Mike Vorhaus of media consultancy Frank N. Magid, believes that consumers will pay for the convenience of getting content when they want it, where they want it.

"Many viewers are not going home to watch TV anymore. They've already been trained to believe TV is coming to them and demand is growing for this content in different forms and different business models," he said.

"Some payment by some people for some online content is here to stay, but it will continue to evolve," said Vorhaus.

Netflix's Chief Executive Reed Hastings said on a recent conference call, "There's the potential emergence of direct competitors (like) Hulu. We'll see what they do, and potentially others over time ... but the upside is it's a very big market."

Some of the biggest threats to Netflix and sites like Hulu come from cable and satellite operators, who are ramping up video-on-demand, fearing viewers will drop pay-TV subscriptions in favor of broadband and mobile video.

Cable company Comcast and Time Warner are trumpeting plans for "TV Everywhere," which would enable viewers to watch TV shows on demand for free and on any device

as long as they are already paying customers.

There has been industry speculation that companies from Apple Inc to Disney's ABC are looking into launching subscription-TV services. Sony Corp recently inked a deal to offer Time Warner's HBO programs via download through the PlayStation 3 game console.

An episode of an HBO series like "True Blood" will be available for download on the PS3 as it is on services like Apple's iTunes. Through affiliates like Comcast and Verizon, HBO also offers "HBO Go", a broadband service attached to its regular cable subscription, which goes into the TV Everywhere model.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE65760K20100608

Best Wishes!
" I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own. I retired."

Offline Eeyore

• Hundred Acre Wood
    • View Profile
Foxconn Shutting Down?

Foxconn, Apples contract manufacturer for the iPhone and iPad, is planning to close its mainland Chinese facilities according to Chinese news-site ON.CC (Google translated version). The article states that Foxconn plans to relocate most of the Chinese activities to Taiwan, Vietnam and India as well as other countries.  The move could put hundreds of thousands of Chinese out of work and shift investments away form the region to other countries.  Some estimates put the potential employment impact as high as 800,000 workers losing their jobs.

According to news site The Register, the restructuring was announced by the chairman of Hon Hai Group, Foxconns parent company, during a recent shareholders meeting.

This news comes on the heels of a series of suicides at Foxconn facilities by Chinese workers.  The suicides received widespread press attention and forced several tech companies, including Apple, to send in their own investigators to assess the companys working conditions.

There is no word on how a possible factory relocation might impact Apple and future product production.

http://www.padgadget.com/2010/06/11/ipad-and-iphone-manufacturer-to-close-chinese-plants/

Best Wishes!

Offline Chad Winters

• View Profile
Foxconn Shutting Down?

Foxconn, Apples contract manufacturer for the iPhone and iPad, is planning to close its mainland Chinese facilities according to Chinese news-site ON.CC (Google translated version). The article states that Foxconn plans to relocate most of the Chinese activities to Taiwan, Vietnam and India as well as other countries.  The move could put hundreds of thousands of Chinese out of work and shift investments away form the region to other countries.  Some estimates put the potential employment impact as high as 800,000 workers losing their jobs.

According to news site The Register, the restructuring was announced by the chairman of Hon Hai Group, Foxconns parent company, during a recent shareholders meeting.

This news comes on the heels of a series of suicides at Foxconn facilities by Chinese workers.  The suicides received widespread press attention and forced several tech companies, including Apple, to send in their own investigators to assess the companys working conditions.

There is no word on how a possible factory relocation might impact Apple and future product production.

http://www.padgadget.com/2010/06/11/ipad-and-iphone-manufacturer-to-close-chinese-plants/

Best Wishes!

Saw an interesting analysis on poor reporting by the maccast.com podcast. None of the journalists writing those stories managed to mention that Foxconn has hundreds of thousands of employees and the per capita suicide rate for their employees was far below the national average in China (and even below the US average) of course that doesn't matter and thousands of Chinese will lose their jobs due to a possibly misinformed public opinion.

On the other hand conditions could be really bad...I just wish I could trust journalists to get it right

Member since 10/28/2008 | (make your own reading bar)

Offline mlewis78

• New York, NY
  • Member #3406
    • View Profile
This was posted in the New York Times website on June 6th.  There may be other related articles there.  Working conditions are horrible in China.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/07/business/global/07suicide.html?scp=1&sq=apple%20suicide&st=cse

New York, NY
Flutist, Legal Services Professional
Readers:  Paperwhite 2 (2013), Fire HD6 (2014 pink), 2012 K4(black), K4(silver), KFHD 7", K3 that won't charge, Kindle DX (US), Sony PRS-350, B&N Nook STR and Bookeen Cybook Opus

Offline geko29

• View Profile
Saw an interesting analysis on poor reporting by the maccast.com podcast. None of the journalists writing those stories managed to mention that Foxconn has hundreds of thousands of employees and the per capita suicide rate for their employees was far below the national average in China (and even below the US average) of course that doesn't matter and thousands of Chinese will lose their jobs due to a possibly misinformed public opinion.

Not only was the suicide rate less than half the national average, it was so despite the fact that families of workers who committed suicide got a lump-sum cash payout of 4-6 times the worker's annual salary (including the extensive overtime).  For someone who may be borderline, that's an awful big incentive, and yet not very many people "took them up on it".

They have since ended the suicide insurance policy, in hopes of removing that incentive.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 03:52:56 AM by geko29 »

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Oklahoma
  • Card-carrying melodrama villain
    • View Profile
    • All about me....<hee hee>
http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/12/editorial-espn-bypasses-corporate-red-tape-with-ipad-and-xbox-3/

The iPad has been out only two months, but ESPN is already using them for their announcers to put all those little marks on the instant replay.  The above article talks about it, has photos, and is pretty interesting.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 03:01:09 PM by The Hooded Claw »

(Make your own reading bar)
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
Today's Doonesbury, if you didn't see it. ;D
http://www.arcamax.com/newspics/12/1232/123253.gif

Betsy
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Oklahoma
    • View Profile

"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."  - Albert Einstein

• Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
The guy really wanted to get his trash out, didn't he?  Amazing story....

Betsy

• Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
About connection problems with new iPhone?
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/25/technology/25apple.html

Betsy

• Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
Not an iPad/iPhone/iPod article as such, but pertinent, about WiFi on planes.

http://nyti.ms/dd9Z54

Betsy

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Oklahoma
    • View Profile
Not an iPad/iPhone/iPod article as such, but pertinent, about WiFi on planes.

http://nyti.ms/dd9Z54

Betsy

The article confuses me, it talks about wifi enabled mobile devices as a separate category, and implies that doesn't include iPad.

Offline Chad Winters

• View Profile
The article confuses me, it talks about wifi enabled mobile devices as a separate category, and implies that doesn't include iPad.
"All of Gogos airline partners charge the same prices for those with laptops, iPads and netbooks: $5 to connect for 90 minutes, $10 for three hours, and $13 for more than three hours. Passengers with Wi-Fi-enabled mobile devices pay the same $5 for under 90 minutes, but they pay $8 for anything beyond that. A one-day pass is $13, no matter what device you have, and a one-month pass is $15 for Wi-Fi users with mobile devices, and $40 for laptops."

I don't know how you could be confused by that! :)

I agree with the author that the idea of 30-40 passengers Skyping during my flight would be highly annoying

Member since 10/28/2008 | (make your own reading bar)

• Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs

I haven't read it yet, here,s the service's website...http://www.gogoinflight.com/gogo/cms/airlines.do

Betsy

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Oklahoma
    • View Profile
http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2010/07/08/iphone-4-catches-fire/

Well, we can truly say that the iPhone 4 is the hottest phone on the market!

As the photos show, this one caught fire when plugged into a computer using the Apple-provided cord. Allegedly the user was slightly burnt. 

Maybe they plugged it into a PC and the phone didn't like it?

• Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
http://techland.com/2010/07/26/you-may-now-legally-jailbreak-your-iphone-and-rip-dvds/

(I haven't read the whole thing, but it sounds like it may be of interest to our members.)

Betsy

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
  • How could you not smile back at Bonnie?
    • View Profile
From Newsweek via MSNBC:

Why the iPad Hasn't Killed the Kindle

http://www.newsweek.com/2010/07/26/read-on.html

My bro beagle (1954-1966).  I still miss him big time.
His last collar hangs on my bedpost.

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Oklahoma
    • View Profile
Steve Balmer says iPad must DIE!

http://money.cnn.com/2010/07/29/technology/microsoft_analyst_meeting/index.htm?hpt=T1

Well, not really.  But he says getting an effective competing product is Microsoft's number one priority!

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Oklahoma
    • View Profile
If you just can't get enough iPad goodness, Twit.Tv now has an iPad video blog which looks very good.  Access it here:

http://twit.tv/ipt

But Dr. Kiki's Science Hour (poke around the link above and you will find it) is still the coolest thing on Twit.TV....

• Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Oklahoma
    • View Profile
Re: Post your iPad, iPhone, iPod, Apple news articles, blog articles, etc. here!
« Reply #97 on: September 21, 2010, 06:24:06 PM »
http://www.kfor.com/news/local/kfor-news-i-pad-bady-delivery-story,0,1220408.story

An Oklahoma woman used her ipad to help deliver her baby....And posted pics of it all on Facebook from the ambulance taking her and her newborn baby to the hospital (as a precaution).  Short article and video above.

Note that although I haven't checked with Harvey or the moderators, I'm confident the KB staff recommends you should consult your physician rather than your iPad about childbirth!   ;D

Offline GinnyB

• Upland CA
    • View Profile
Re: Post your iPad, iPhone, iPod, Apple news articles, blog articles, etc. here!
« Reply #98 on: September 22, 2010, 07:13:02 AM »
iBaby! How cute! Loved it.
Ginny B

Offline Thumper

• Dixon, CA
  • Will work for cookies
    • View Profile
    • Thumper Thinks Out Loud
I want to purchase new iphone.so I would  like to know which iphone is the best now a days..

My son got an iPhone 4 yesterday...says it's much faster than his old 1st generation iPhone. I have a 3GS that I'm quite happy with...but I suspect if you walk into a AT&T or Apple store to buy an iPhone, what they'll have on hand is the newest model.