Author Topic: The new KU, who's doing well?  (Read 3013 times)  

Offline Vivi_Anna

• View Profile
The new KU, who's doing well?
« on: April 04, 2016, 10:54:07 AM »
With all the stupidity going on with KU and the scammers working their magic in there...I'm wondering who is still making good money in KU?

If you would like to share, would love to know what genre you're writing in, how many books you have, and what promo you're doing if any?

Thanks to all who are always so generous with their information and advice.  :-*

Tawny Stokes/Vivi Anna | facebook | twitter

Offline CarolynVMurray

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
Re: The new KU, who's doing well?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 11:18:28 AM »
I just started a sweet historical romance pen name series, first book was published mid December 2015 (with a My Romance Reads promo), the second mid January (followed by a Book 1 promo - Booksends, FKBT, and Robin Reads) and the third was published mid March (followed by a Book 2 promo - Booksends and Bargain Booksy.) Each book launched with with 3 promotional days at 99 cents, then back to 2.99.

February - Direct sales -  405    KU - 403
March -      Direct sales -  545    KU - 467

So, I'd lose a lot of money without the KU income - close to half. Romance readers tend to read so voraciously that KU is the logical, economical way to go for them.
Carolyn V. Murray | Website

Offline JustinBell1974

• View Profile
    • Justin's Website
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 11:21:07 AM »
The only luck I've had with KU has been bad.  Well, middling, I suppose.  :)

I have fits and starts with it, and actually, after a discount book promotion a few weeks ago, I was steadily getting 250 - 500 page reads per day, then a week ago it fell off completely, and I'm not really sure how to get it back up again.

Justin
Operation: Harvest Book Two - Loose Strands: 100%

Operation: Harvest Book Three - Tipping Point: 100%

G.I. Joe: Generations: 20%
Justin Bell | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Newsletter

Offline G.L. Snodgrass

• View Profile
    • G.L. Snodgrass
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 11:24:30 AM »
KU is 75% of my income. I write both Regencies and YA Romance. KU income replaced my day job income. So yes, KU continues to do well for me.

G.L. Snodgrass | G.L. Snodgrass

Online ellenoc

• Colorado
  • Mystery and romance
    • View Profile
    • Ellen O'Connell
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 11:48:26 AM »
KU2 has doubled my income, good months and not so good. I don't do any promo. Keep telling myself I will and should but keep not doing it. Of course I also don't have series. My books are all standalones except for one sequel. So word of mouth is pretty much it. I do have a blog which I post to irregularly and a mailing list which I only send to when I have a new release.

P.S. Sign ups to my mailing list have increased by 2 or 3x since KU, which makes me think readers who wouldn't try my books if they had to buy are trying them through KU.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 11:50:30 AM by ellenoc »

Offline Boyd

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2016, 11:59:34 AM »
With all the stupidity going on with KU and the scammers working their magic in there...I'm wondering who is still making good money in KU?
If you would like to share, would love to know what genre you're writing in, how many books you have, and what promo you're doing if any?
Thanks to all who are always so generous with their information and advice.  :-*

High 4 figures a month to 5 figures a month pretty consistently.  I write Post Apoc, political thriller/vigilante, mystery/thrillers, got ~20ish books I think?  Usually no promo, but I did get my first bookbub last week.  Loving that!  Also, I do some facebook advertising using lookalike audiences, but not as much FB as I probably should. 

Offline harker.roland

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2016, 12:08:32 PM »
I just started a sweet historical romance pen name series, first book was published mid December 2015 (with a My Romance Reads promo), the second mid January (followed by a Book 1 promo - Booksends, FKBT, and Robin Reads) and the third was published mid March (followed by a Book 2 promo - Booksends and Bargain Booksy.) Each book launched with with 3 promotional days at 99 cents, then back to 2.99.

February - Direct sales -  405    KU - 403
March -      Direct sales -  545    KU - 467

So, I'd lose a lot of money without the KU income - close to half. Romance readers tend to read so voraciously that KU is the logical, economical way to go for them.

Nice sales for a new series!
Ghosts & Grades 2 (COMPLETE - AVAIL 9/27): 100%

Ghosts & Grades 3 (First Draft): 18%

Untitled Space Odyssey (1st Draft) 100%
Little Miss Publishing | Facebook

Online Amanda M. Lee

• Listen to me, you will.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2016, 12:39:26 PM »
Depending on the day I generally get 500,000-650,000 page reads. Sundays and Mondays are generally highest and Wednesdays and Thursdays generally lowest. I write under two names and everything for both is in KU.

Amanda M. Lee

Offline harker.roland

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2016, 12:56:24 PM »
Depending on the day I generally get 500,000-650,000 page reads. Sundays and Mondays are generally highest and Wednesdays and Thursdays generally lowest. I write under two names and everything for both is in KU.

At first I looked at that number and almost needed to change my pants! But then I realized who said it and how prolific you are and settled on you being underpaid  :P
Ghosts & Grades 2 (COMPLETE - AVAIL 9/27): 100%

Ghosts & Grades 3 (First Draft): 18%

Untitled Space Odyssey (1st Draft) 100%
Little Miss Publishing | Facebook

Online Usedtoposthere

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2016, 01:12:46 PM »
I'm doing well in it. I have 14 KDP books in KU, in contemporary romance and romantic suspense. During a new release month I can have up to 400,000 page reads a day, but at times like now, 3 months out from my last release, I have about 100,000 reads a day.

My latest KDP book was 135K. That really helps with the page reads--the KENPC is about 700.

I don't advertise much. Not at all on Facebook.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 06:42:22 PM by Rosalind James »

Online Crystal_

• Portland, OR
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2016, 03:06:43 PM »
After my BB (plus $200/day in Facebook ads), I had a few 300k days. My usual, pre BB and pre Facebook ads was more like 40-80k/day, more with promos and new releases.

Right now, I am spending four figures a month on Facebook ads. They are doing well but it's really nerve-racking spending so much when I can't measure the ROI exactly-- you can't track borrows with affiliate links, so you have to guesstimate them.

I write NA romance/erom, one pen name. I have eight books-- a dud trilogy that makes less than $100/month per book, two billionaire serial box sets that are sorta a series, and three books in a rock star romance series (the bubbed series, fourth to come, still trying to figure out how to add a fifth).

Borrows are about 2/3 of my income.

On average, I publish every two months. My books are 70-85k.

Offline juliatheswede

• NYC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2016, 04:51:20 PM »
KU reads make up at least 75 % of my income. Which has crashed back to just under four figures now. But I'm having high hopes that the Facebook ads I'm taking out as of today will change things. My first click to Amazon just cost me 62 cents... Hopefully they'll buy or borrow my box set!(I write mystery/thriller/suspense)

Offline Vivi_Anna

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2016, 05:14:31 PM »
Thank you guys for sharing!!  It really helps to see and I'm buoyed to see you doing so well. That it still can be done.

Tawny Stokes/Vivi Anna | facebook | twitter

Online TimothyEllis

• Somewhere in space.
  • Aussie in the 27th century.
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2016, 06:17:09 PM »
KU is about 2/3 of my income.

7 novels, 1 novella, 2 short stories in my series. Space Opera, with mixed other themes.

And my other 13 titles get a smattering of reads between them. All Non-fiction.

I dont do anything Promo at all.

Genres: Space Opera, Spiritual, Games.
TimothyEllis | Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | TimothyEllisAuthor | The Hunter Legacy | The Hunter Legacy series on Facebook. | [url=http://eepurl.com/

Offline AndrewSeiple

• Dayton, OH
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2016, 06:52:21 PM »
KU's about 2 to 3 fifths of my income, these last few months. I've been trying to get some promotions rolling, but it hasn't been going well...

Offline TimWLong

• Seattle
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2016, 08:10:44 PM »
KU is a hair over half my income. I generally see about 500K to 600K page reads per month. I wish it was higher but of my 8 books in KU only 4 or 5 are consistently well read in KU.

Professional Horror Hack
Timothy W. Long | blog | website | facebook

Offline manderle

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2016, 09:57:48 PM »
For me, KU is about 45% of my NET income after taking into account Amazon's 30% rake off normal book sales.

For March, I averaged 70k pages a day.

I'm in the Sci-Fi / Paranormal arena

Michael Anderle | Website | Facebook

Offline manderle

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2016, 09:58:40 PM »
KU is a hair over half my income. I generally see about 500K to 600K page reads per month. I wish it was higher but of my 8 books in KU only 4 or 5 are consistently well read in KU.

Tim, is there a genre that isn't doing well in KU?

Michael Anderle | Website | Facebook

Offline GrandFenwick

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2016, 10:03:02 PM »
It's hard, but you have to try turning off all the ads and promos and see how it goes otherwise you'll never know. I turned off Google Ads recently after a huge learning curve and realized our library was OK without them.

But it was scary letting go.

The Complete Father Bredder Mysteries Coming to Kindle...
Leonard Wibberley | Goodreads | Leonard's Website | Sign Up for Leonard's Musings & Book News | FREE Thanksgiving Poem Audiobook

Offline Secret Pen Pal

• This is going to be fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2016, 10:27:33 PM »
Four figures a month, which I'd reached in KU1. About 20 active titles, with half of each month's KDP earnings from KU. Income continuing to rise. I run a few inexpensive promos a month: BKnights and others friendly to books that contain sex scenes. Erotica, erom, horror, thrillers.

Offline PaulineMRoss

• Nairn, Scotland
    • View Profile
    • The Brightmoon Annals
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2016, 01:10:28 AM »
I'm wondering who is still making good money in KU? If you would like to share, would love to know what genre you're writing in, how many books you have, and what promo you're doing if any?

I'm not in the 'good money' category of some folks here, but KU is around 60-70% of my income. Five books, fantasy, mostly stand-alone, all long (135K words or above; KENP of 700+). I average 5-6K pages per day on non-promo days, more after a promo.

I do some kind of promo almost every month - a couple of free days or a few days at 99c, using the tried-and-tested sites like ENT, RobinReads, FreeBooksy, BookBarbarian, OHFB etc. Or a new book (the most effective promo, I've found).

No Facebook or Amazon ads - I've found them to be a really good way to spend a lot of money fast, without measurable effect. I have some Goodreads ads running, but they're really low-key and low-cost. Also probably ineffective, but they're so cheap I don't mind.

Pauline M. Ross (epic fantasy) Website | Mary Kingswood (Regency romances) Website 
Bookbub rejections: 60; SUCCESS!; rejections: 8 and counting...

Offline Rinelle Grey

• Brisbane, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2016, 02:21:30 AM »
KU is about half my income, mostly from my PNR. I'm not in the same league as some posting here, but I get about 5-10k page reads a day.

It did drop off a little at the beginning of the month, but it's picking up again, probably due to some promos.

Most of my promo is cross promo, like Patty's cross promos and others like it. Sometimes I book some promo sites, usually around new releases. I don't do Facebook ads.

Feel good romance with a touch of magic.
Rinelle grey | Website | Facebook | Twitter

Offline Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
  • Kindle Scout Kahuna since 2015
    • View Profile
    • MY WEBSITE
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2016, 03:43:50 AM »
Not as well as I would like to do.

I'm mostly horror, leaning into dark fantasy.

I've been doing a little better this month, having pulled most of my books out of wide and plunking them right down into Kindle Select. I have REALLY got my fingers crossed that the April/May promotion that my Kindle Scout will bring me is going to bleed a little into my other work.

Offline jazzywaltz

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2016, 10:48:58 AM »
With the two books I have out I average around 80,000 KENP a day and around 150 sales per day. I suppose if I went wide I'd still do okay based off the fact that I make about as much with my direct sales as I make via KU and also the fact that my current pre-order bounces around from the 700s to the 1200s without the benefit of KU.

I don't do a lot of promotion outside of release day stuff -- last release I ran a KCD for book 1 for the entire week and scheduled promos for most of the days through ENT, BookBarbarian, etc., and I used Hungry Author and BKnights for the actual release when it went live. And then of course there's my mailing list. But my books seem to be pretty sticky on their own.

Jasmine Walt | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Newsletter

Offline Salvador Mercer

• Cleveland Ohio
    • View Profile
    • Salvador Mercer Website
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2016, 11:52:40 AM »
KU for me is about 40%-50% of my revenue. Fluctuates a lot daily, but averages weekly/monthly pretty evenly.