Author Topic: Success with samples on Instafreebie  (Read 485 times)  

Offline C. Gockel

• Chicago, IL
    • View Profile
Success with samples on Instafreebie
« on: April 18, 2018, 09:06:36 AM »
I was wondering who out there puts "Samples" on Instafreebie. I was thinking of putting extended samples of the first two books in my signature there since they are both standalones and are wide. (Long story, the second one HAS to be wide ... I think ... probably ... because a section of it is in an anthology. It's not quite verbatim, but close ... ish.)

Anyway, I was wondering about other people who've done the sample thing and had success. How much did you put in? Did you end the sample on a cliffie?

ETA: Does Bookfunnel allow samples, and do they work for sales?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 09:55:26 AM by C. Gockel »

I write books about Change, Chaos, and Loki
C. Gockel | facebook | tumblr | website

Online Dpock

• North Idaho
    • View Profile
Re: Success with samples on Instafreebie
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 09:41:47 AM »
I've only ever put up previews ( the 10% Look Inside sample) for the primary purpose of getting subscribers. In ten months I've collected over 10k.

I believe it's also produced a lot of sales, though guesswork is involved there. During active giveaways, sales and borrows definitely and noticeably increase.

Unfortunately, those results seem to be moving into the past tense. About 80% of "new" subscribers I already have in my database and sales response is declining. It's possible nearly everyone on this board using Instafreebie has the same subscribers, regardless of genre.

Offline C. Gockel

• Chicago, IL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 09:56:41 AM »
I've only ever put up previews ( the 10% Look Inside sample) for the primary purpose of getting subscribers. In ten months I've collected over 10k.

I believe it's also produced a lot of sales, though guesswork is involved there. During active giveaways, sales and borrows definitely and noticeably increase.

Unfortunately, those results seem to be moving into the past tense. About 80% of "new" subscribers I already have in my database and sales response is declining. It's possible nearly everyone on this board using Instafreebie has the same subscribers, regardless of genre.

Thank you so much for responding. Since I am wide, I can put up considerably more content. I may query my fans and see where a book really hooked them.

Offline RTW

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 10:17:01 AM »

That's really fantastic. I have preview (Look Inside) samples of 3 of my books on Instafreebie. Since December I've gained 52 subscribers.

Online truc

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2018, 11:00:21 AM »
I put in a 10% sample of a sci-fi novel that ended on a pretty exciting point. Instafreebie even featured the book independently. Sadly, I don't think it's led to any obvious spike in sales (it's been about a week since it was featured).

However, I'd be curious to know what the difference would be for a longer sample.

Offline C. Gockel

• Chicago, IL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2018, 07:56:00 PM »
... bumping ...

Because I'm curious if there are anymore success stories.

Offline L_Loryn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2018, 09:30:48 PM »
I've been using instafreebie for samples, basically (short fiction of about 12-15k words). My main goal was to build an email list.

So far, started first of April, I've gotten about 200 email subscribers, which is pretty good considering I'd say my genre is pretty specific (gay romance).

More importantly, the people on my email list are actually responsive. I have a 45% open rate so far and a 30% click rate. And I'd say about 10% will reply to me if I ask a direct question in an email. Also good because I'm using it to build an ARC team of my own.

As far as strictly downloads, my first work got 800+ downloads, second is around 100+. For the $20 price, I can treat it like any other advertising site and say it's done its job.