NetGalley

Author Topic: Easy Print Book Formatting  (Read 1484 times)  

Offline TheForeverGirlSeries

• Sunshine State
  • New York Times bestselling author
    • View Profile
    • The Forever Girl Series
Easy Print Book Formatting
« on: April 19, 2016, 08:14:57 PM »
Is there anything like Vellum but for print books? I'm tired of hand formatting books.  :-[

Offline james_loscombe

• View Profile
    • Website
Re: Easy Print Book Formatting
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 02:35:02 AM »
I really hope there's an answer to this so I'm posting to boost visibility ;-)

James Loscombe

Offline Jane Killick

• Buckinghamshire, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 02:41:49 AM »
I use and love InDesign, but it's not cheap.

There's also the usual learning curve, but the inside of my paperbacks look great.

Offline vaughanwsmith

• Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Author Site
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 02:44:14 AM »
The only ones I've found are online services. Reedsy and http://pressbooks.com respectively. I tried reedsy and it's coming along but not there yet. Press books looks interesting but quite expensive.

Vaughan W. Smith | Website | Facebook | Newsletter

Online Sleeping Cat Books

• Helping you reach your publishing goals since 2006
    • View Profile
    • Sleeping Cat Books
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 04:00:25 AM »
You can try http://bookow.com/services.php. I design my own books using InDesign, so I've never used the design services on that website, but he also provides a lot of free resources (CreateSpace cover templates, bar code generator, etc.) that I have found useful.
Providing editing and book design services to independent authors
Sarah Holroyd | Sleeping Cat Books | Sleeping Cat Press | discussion

Online Rickie Blair

• Southern Ontario
    • View Profile
    • Rickie Blair
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2016, 05:38:02 AM »
I used InDesign for quite a while, but gave it up for two reasons:
1. It's much more complicated than you need for a simple novel. It used to drive me crazy.
2. It's ridiculously expensive. You have to pay every month, whether you use it or not.

I switched to Word for my print books. I use a formatted template from CreateSpace, add drop caps, and adjust the kerning where necessary. It's actually pretty easy. You can change the fonts as you see fit. My books aren't fancy, but they look fine. There's a learning curve with Word, of course, but at least if you already have it installed on your computer there's no additional cost.

Every once in a while I go to the official Vellum thread here and beg them to put out a print version, but so far no luck.  ;)

In Leafy Hollow, murder is always in season!
Rickie Blair | RickieBlair.com | GoodReads | Facebook

Offline C. Rysalis

• The Writer's Lair
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2016, 05:57:19 AM »
Polgarus is fantastic for any kind of formatting. They are Hugh Howey's formatter of choice for a reason!

Olivia Rising | Author page

• Sunshine State
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2016, 09:50:54 AM »
I'm thinking more of a program (ka-ching for anyone who makes it, by the sound of it!) that works like vellum. I mean, basically, vellum with a gutter feature and page size feature, since that already does export to PDF. Someone's gonna be rich. Until then, I'll keep formatting myself, I guess. i have some pretty templates I can use in word, it's just a PITA copy-pasting each chapter in.

Offline ebooklaunch

• View Profile
    • Ebook Launch
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2016, 09:53:54 AM »

Online Rickie Blair

• Southern Ontario
    • View Profile
    • Rickie Blair
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2016, 09:58:20 AM »
We'd love to help! www.ebooklaunch.com/print-on-demand

I'm sure your service is fabulous (and I LOVE your covers), but as a general rule I like to see some sort of price, even if it's just a range, before committing to an email exchange and filling in forms, and so on.

I also go by the principle that "if you have to ask..."  ;)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 10:10:46 AM by Rickie Blair »

• Sunshine State
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2016, 12:02:18 PM »
We'd love to help! www.ebooklaunch.com/print-on-demand

It's one of those things that I rather just take the time to do it myself (as I do a good job) and just wish there was a tool/program such as Vellum but for print that would do it faster. If you ever make such a program, I'll get right in line to buy it :)

Offline Word Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2016, 01:19:20 PM »
I mean, basically, vellum with a gutter feature and page size feature, since that already does export to PDF.

Vellum does not export to PDF. It exports to RTF.

• Sunshine State
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2016, 01:51:43 PM »
Vellum does not export to PDF. It exports to RTF.

HMMM.. IDK why I thought it exported to PDF... Well, then, something like Vellum with a gutter feature/page size option, and that exports to PDF :)

Offline Mark Tyson

• Texas
    • View Profile
    • Mark E Tyson
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2016, 02:07:47 PM »
I use Jutoh. Not too expensive and pretty easy to use.

Mark E Tyson | Mark E Tyson

• Sunshine State
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2016, 02:27:20 PM »
I use Jutoh. Not too expensive and pretty easy to use.

Jutoh does print? :) If so, do they offer options for making the interior "pretty" - I spend a lot of time currently using images and setting drop caps when I want to use them, etc.

Offline AmpersandBookInteriors

• Because & means more.
    • View Profile
    • Ampersand Book Interiors
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2016, 02:30:35 PM »
I really can't suggest anything but InDesign, but that's where I live 90% of my life, so I'm probably blinded to other options.

Ebook formatting starting at $25.00. Print typesetting starting at $75.00.
Colleen Sheehan | Ampersand Book Interiors

Offline Katie Salidas

• Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Written In Blood
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2016, 06:35:05 PM »
This program has pretty much made print formatting an easy task within word. Worth checking out. Great for basic books.
http://bookdesignwizard.com/

Offline 555aaa

• Near Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2016, 06:48:09 PM »
I don't like Word, but it should work OK for a basic print book. InDesign has a bit of a learning curve but I think it's a lot easier to use than Word once you have a basic competence. My biggest problem frankly isn't the tools but the actual "design" part in terms of how the book interior should actually look.  I know how to use the tools, but what I need to know is what I want, if you know what I mean.

Offline RicardoFayet

• View Profile
    • Reedsy
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2016, 03:54:22 AM »
Try Reedsy: https://reedsy.com/write-a-book, I think it's really what you're looking for. It's DIY, online, free, and really requires no tech knowledge.

We released it a month ago, so as mentioned earlier in this thread, it wasn't quite "there" yet. Now it's much more advanced, though the customization possibilities are obviously not endless. Anyhow, we've had a good 500 books successfully created that way since launching it, so seems to be getting there. :D

Online Rickie Blair

• Southern Ontario
    • View Profile
    • Rickie Blair
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2016, 05:34:06 AM »
This program has pretty much made print formatting an easy task within word. Worth checking out. Great for basic books.

I would love that. Sadly, it doesn't work on a Mac.

Try Reedsy: https://reedsy.com/write-a-book, I think it's really what you're looking for. It's DIY, online, free, and really requires no tech knowledge.

We released it a month ago, so as mentioned earlier in this thread, it wasn't quite "there" yet. Now it's much more advanced, though the customization possibilities are obviously not endless. Anyhow, we've had a good 500 books successfully created that way since launching it, so seems to be getting there. :D

Hi Ricardo, that looks great but the print option is very basic. Are there any other options, like maybe drop caps? Can you change the font? Is it possible to adjust kerning? (Or is there some other way to control widows and orphans?)

Offline Cherise

• Spokane, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2016, 05:45:55 AM »

Thank you for this. I've bookmarked the thread for the next time I have to format a paperback interior.

Offline NightWriterCT

• View Profile
    • Author Website
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2016, 07:00:55 AM »
I switched to Word for my print books. I use a formatted template from CreateSpace, add drop caps, and adjust the kerning where necessary. It's actually pretty easy. You can change the fonts as you see fit. My books aren't fancy, but they look fine. There's a learning curve with Word, of course, but at least if you already have it installed on your computer there's no additional cost.

^^ This. I was surprised how easy it was to pop my manuscript into CreateSpace's template. I didn't do anything fancy, just adjusted line-breaks and a little kerning magic. (See my thread 'Ain't No Party Like a Kerning Party' - but only if you're not afraid to get down.)

http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,234042.0.html

Abby Vegas | Author Website | Twitter

Offline ebooklaunch

• View Profile
    • Ebook Launch
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2016, 11:54:12 AM »
I'm sure your service is fabulous (and I LOVE your covers), but as a general rule I like to see some sort of price, even if it's just a range, before committing to an email exchange and filling in forms, and so on.

I also go by the principle that "if you have to ask..."  ;)

No worries! Here's a way around that: You can fill out the form and it is a "live" form (i.e. the price at the bottom of the form changes depending on what you have selected). So you don't have to send us anything if you want a price: http://ebooklaunch.com/print-on-demand-order-form/

However, it is necessary to have a form because the types of books that need formatting varies drastically. If we had fixed prices on our website, they would be inaccurate or would over/undercharge people for the service that they require that is specific to their book.

If you want me to give you a number, it will probably be somewhere around $100. You'll have to decide for yourself whether the time spent learning/doing the formatting yourself is worth it - everyone's different! :)

Online Rickie Blair

• Southern Ontario
    • View Profile
    • Rickie Blair
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2016, 02:57:00 PM »

No worries! Here's a way around that: You can fill out the form and it is a "live" form (i.e. the price at the bottom of the form changes depending on what you have selected). So you don't have to send us anything if you want a price: http://ebooklaunch.com/print-on-demand-order-form/

However, it is necessary to have a form because the types of books that need formatting varies drastically. If we had fixed prices on our website, they would be inaccurate or would over/undercharge people for the service that they require that is specific to their book.

If you want me to give you a number, it will probably be somewhere around $100. You'll have to decide for yourself whether the time spent learning/doing the formatting yourself is worth it - everyone's different! :)

Thanks for the reply! I'll give that a try for my next paperback. I thought I had to email the form to you to get a price.

Offline RicardoFayet

• View Profile
    • Reedsy
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2016, 09:00:17 AM »
I would love that. Sadly, it doesn't work on a Mac.

Hi Ricardo, that looks great but the print option is very basic. Are there any other options, like maybe drop caps? Can you change the font? Is it possible to adjust kerning? (Or is there some other way to control widows and orphans?)

Hi Rickie, we automatically take care of widows and orphans during the typesetting stage (export to PDF). That's why it takes a few seconds to get that PDF, it's really not straightforward to prepare and there's strong typesetting technology behind it.

For drop caps, we want to add an option at a later stage yes. And we'll add more templates in the future so you have a wider choice of fonts. But we won't let every author set their own font, no.