Author Topic: Apple's rules of order  (Read 1133 times)  

Offline Al Stevens

• View Profile
Apple's rules of order
« on: November 27, 2017, 03:20:31 PM »
Apple rejected my latest submission because of the title.

It seems you can't have a title with the first word that's not capitalized. And only little words can begin with an upper-case letter.

I've been publishing the "teach yourself..." brand, which I originated, since the late 1980s, and that was with major league publishers.

I told them about the container for their rules where the sun never shines.

Online Mark Gardner

• Arizona, USA
    • View Profile
    • Article 94
Re: Apple's rules of order
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 05:01:04 PM »
Apple has received the middle finger more than once from me for the most inane violations of their TOS.

Offline Nathan Elliott

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 05:51:29 PM »
Apple's insistence on you changing your trademark capitalization to satisfy them seems a little rich in light of how they have a fit when somebody writes Iphone or IPhone or instead of iPhone.  I wonder whether they'd relent if you put a TM after it and then told them that that stylization is part of your TM.

Offline lisamaliga

• USA
  • Author of books for discerning readers
    • View Profile
    • Author of books for discerning readers ~ www.lisamaliga.com
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 06:01:31 PM »
Apple's insistence on you changing your trademark capitalization to satisfy them seems a little rich in light of how they have a fit when somebody writes Iphone or IPhone or instead of iPhone. 

Al Stevens,
Can't you quote that to them?

Author of books for discerning readers
Lisa Maliga | Official Website | Blog | Facebook | Pinterest[/ur

Offline Monique

• California
    • View Profile
    • Written by Monique
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 06:03:20 PM »
teach yourself works fine in the graphic design of the cover, but in text it looks like a mistake to me. *shrug*

Monique Martin | author website | facebook | twitter

Offline katherinef

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 06:45:42 PM »
If you registered that title as your trademark, then send them proof. If not, you can probably keep the cover as it is and just change the title when you enter it on Apple, so it shouldn't be too much work. I don't see why that would be a problem or why anyone would care.
De gustibus non est disputandum.

Ignore people's pet peeves and write on!

"If you tell me the characters should be smarter, I'm going to wonder if you've actually met any humans." - T

Offline Al Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 06:58:49 PM »
teach yourself works fine in the graphic design of the cover, but in text it looks like a mistake to me. *shrug*
It's a mistake I made for almost 30 years with the blessings of John Wiley & Sons, Henry Holt, and others. And I made a living with it. The small imprint I started with came up with it--they were looking for a response to "DOS for Dummies"--and it went with me as I moved from publisher to publisher. In print the "teach yourself..." part is always italicized.

It's not a trademark. The small press publisher didn't register it. When sales took off on the first book, everybody was coming out with "Teach Yourself" titles. A good friend of mine wrote several. We used to compare notes.

Offline Monique

• California
    • View Profile
    • Written by Monique
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2017, 07:03:10 PM »
It's a mistake I made for almost 30 years with the blessings of John Wiley & Sons, Henry Holt, and others. And I made a living with it. The small imprint I started with came up with it--they were looking for a response to "DOS for Dummies"--and it went with me as I moved from publisher to publisher. In print the "teach yourself..." part is always italicized.

It's not a trademark. The small press publisher didn't register it. When sales took off on the first book, everybody was coming out with "Teach Yourself" titles. A good friend of mine wrote several. We used to compare notes.

I understand that and you can keep doing it for the reasons you state, but readers don't care about any of that.

I'm just saying it looks like a sloppy mistake to me. I think that reaction is behind Apple's reasoning. Or they just like being a pill.

Monique Martin | author website | facebook | twitter

Online Mercia McMahon

• London
  • living in the Shadow of pulp speed
    • View Profile
    • Mercia McMahon
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2017, 04:13:19 AM »
I've been publishing the teach yourself..." brand, which I originated, since the late 1980s, and that was with major league publishers.

Sorry to rein in your parade, but Hachette own the trademark to Teach Yourself, which they acquired when they purchased Hodder, which has published Teach Yourself books since 1938.

https://www.hodder.co.uk/consumer%20learning/about%20teach%20yourself%20languages.page

Mercia McMahon | Author Site | Publishing Site | Pinterest

Offline The Bass Bagwhan

• Western Australia
  • Horror & Urban Fantasy... I think.
    • View Profile
    • Graeme Hague
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2017, 04:42:49 AM »
Sorry to rein in your parade, but Hachette own the trademark to Teach Yourself, which they acquired when they purchased Hodder, which has published Teach Yourself books since 1938.

https://www.hodder.co.uk/consumer%20learning/about%20teach%20yourself%20languages.page
Because it involves everyday language "teach yourself..." compared to a stylised Font and Design "Teach Yourself" I doubt it's an issue anyone would want to argue. I mean, if it's "Coke" then you have a problem. But common language I'd say can't be restricted. Grey areas might be stuff like "... for Dummies".
But back to the OP, corporations like Apple become more inflexible and automated as they become so large. Common sense rarely comes into it, but more to the point accessing someone who can apply that common sense becomes impossible.
Author, freelance writer and editor, professional musician, recording engineer... published in Australia, the UK and Germany. So why am I poor? Oh, wait...
I'll be a writer... seemed like a good idea at the time

Offline TobiasRoote

• Greece
    • View Profile
    • Tobias Roote Books
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2017, 04:43:59 AM »
I get around this silly rule by leaving the cover alone, but only placing the text in the title fields in normal case. ARTIS PRIME becomes Artis Prime. It's a small price to pay to get my books aboard Apple's platform via D2D. My only regret is that D2D don't provide for two uploads so that the other platforms can represent your titles correctly leaving Apple out on their own.

Tobias Roote | Website | Facebook | Twitter

Offline Nathan Elliott

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2017, 05:18:18 AM »
I get around this silly rule by leaving the cover alone, but only placing the text in the title fields in normal case. ARTIS PRIME becomes Artis Prime. It's a small price to pay to get my books aboard Apple's platform via D2D. My only regret is that D2D don't provide for two uploads so that the other platforms can represent your titles correctly leaving Apple out on their own.

I believe they do.  Just create a book in D2D that you only distribute to Apple.  You can do that for each retailer if you wish, but it clutters up your dashboard a bit.

Online WasAnn

• I is me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2017, 06:03:06 AM »
I'm going with the capitalize it suggestion.

On the cover, it looks fine, like a part of the design element.

In the title on the web page, it will look strange and not professional.

Offline Nathan Elliott

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2017, 06:15:39 AM »
Just FYI, the trademark is still registered in the US.  It looks like Wiley & Sons transferred it to Management Information Source, Inc., who still have it.  You can view it at

http://tmsearch.uspto.gov

Basic word mark search for "teach yourself".  Look at the last entry. 

Offline Al Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2017, 08:55:49 AM »
Just FYI, the trademark is still registered in the US.  It looks like Wiley & Sons transferred it to Management Information Source, Inc., who still have it.
I didn't know that. Thanks. Management Information Source was the original publisher with the imprint MIS: Press. John Wiley is the most recent as far as I know.

I doubt that the trademark can still be in effect. Too many other publishers used the mark, and with trademarks, I'm told if you don't aggressively defend them, they automatically become PD. The most referenced example that I've seen is aspirin.

Offline ilamont

• Mass.
    • View Profile
    • In 30 Minutes Guides Official Site
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2017, 09:19:00 AM »
I didn't know that. Thanks. Management Information Source was the original publisher with the imprint MIS: Press. John Wiley is the most recent as far as I know.

I doubt that the trademark can still be in effect. Too many other publishers used the mark, and with trademarks, I'm told if you don't aggressively defend them, they automatically become PD. The most referenced example that I've seen is aspirin.

If it's listed on the USPTO website as LIVE it's still in effect. It was also renewed four years ago.

As for the idea that it reverts to public domain if you don't defend it, have you talked with a lawyer about this? FWIW we don't know what the owner has done to defend the claims - for instance, cease & desists aren't a matter of public record unless they come up in a court case or one of the parties involved publicly shares the information.   

Two points to note, however, based on the USPTO record:

1. It's restricted to computer-related topics ("books on the subjects of computer programming, computer software, management information systems, and data processing")

2. Class 16 only covers printed books, not ebooks.

Offline Al Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2017, 10:24:26 AM »
My reversion of rights to teach yourself ... C++ includes the title (but not the cover). I didn't request reversions on the others because they're all obsolete. ;)

Offline notjohn

• View Profile
    • Notjohn's Self-Publishing Guide
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2017, 12:46:12 PM »
Apple's insistence on you changing your trademark capitalization to satisfy them seems a little rich in light of how they have a fit when somebody writes Iphone or IPhone or instead of iPhone.  I wonder whether they'd relent if you put a TM after it and then told them that that stylization is part of your TM.

They rejected my Guide because I wrote iBookstore instead of iBooks Store. Yet I am pretty sure that THEY don't spell it that way.

But I fixed it, and then they rejected it because I didn't have the sub-title on the cover. I am reasonably sure that they rejected it, and always will, because it mentions Amazon too frequently. Given that Amazon sells 85 percent of my ebooks, and the rest of the world only 15 percent, I don't see how that could possibly change.
Notjohn's Guide to E-Book & Print Formatting: http://viewbook.at/notjohn

The blog: http://notjohnkdp.blogspot.com

Offline antares

• Texas and Korea
    • View Profile
    • The Log of the Antares
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2017, 03:00:39 PM »
Apple has only one rule:
What's ours is ours, and what's yours is ours, too.

Offline Al Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2017, 06:19:48 AM »
I just submitted for publication a different book, different title. Apparently Apple has blocked me. The title was rejected automatically by Apple as reported by D2D without it even having been looked at.

Offline Lynn Is A Pseudonym

• Human.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2017, 07:03:12 AM »
I just submitted for publication a different book, different title. Apparently Apple has blocked me. The title was rejected automatically by Apple as reported by D2D without it even having been looked at.

Maybe this....

I told them about the container for their rules where the sun never shines.

...wasn't a great idea?

:)

Offline Al Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2017, 07:22:43 AM »
Maybe this....

...wasn't a great idea?

:)
I never have great ideas.

Offline Lynn Is A Pseudonym

• Human.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2017, 11:03:49 AM »
I never have great ideas.
LOL. I was just having fun with your post. :)

I'm laughing because I don't understand Apple. They sure don't want to make it easy for people to sell books in their bookstore.

Offline Speaker-To-Animals

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2017, 06:14:22 PM »
I will say that in Apple's defense, for every person, like you, who knows what they're doing and is using a lower cased title for some real purpose, there are probably a hundred clue-free people who just don't know you need to use capitals.

It takes a lot of types to make up the world, just not as many as there are.

Offline Word Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2017, 06:52:04 PM »
I will say that in Apple's defense, for every person, like you, who knows what they're doing and is using a lower cased title for some real purpose, there are probably a hundred clue-free people who just don't know you need to use capitals.

Exactly.