Author Topic: Rex Stout-Nero Wolfe/Robert Goldsborough-Nero Wolfe  (Read 924 times)  

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
  • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
    • View Profile
Rex Stout-Nero Wolfe/Robert Goldsborough-Nero Wolfe
« on: May 26, 2016, 08:15:06 AM »
I know we have quite a few Nero Wolfe fans here who were quite excited as the Rex Stout books started being enkindled in 2010 and Gertie started this thread: http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,21461.msg401395.html#msg401395

Since then I think all of the Rex Stout Nero Wolfe books and novellas have come to Kindle and I continue to add them to my Kindle when there are sales or I feel like splurging for full price (I'll still never get rid of my paperback copies, some of which were found after many years of searching in used book stores).

What do the other Wolfe fans think of Robert Goldsborough's novels?  Have you continued your love of Nero and Archie with Goldsborough? Personally, I think his voice is pretty darn spot on for Rex Stout.  I was disappointed in the last two releases which seemed more dated to me than the others and the plots a little thin.  I didn't think Archie acted like Archie in "Archie in the Crosshairs".

and

While browsing Amazon this morning I discovered Goldsborough released a new Wolfe book in March.

Reviews seem to indicate our beloved Archie and Nero are back in true form in the latest release!  I haven't broken down to the $9.99 price yet, but am likely to splurge soon.

A book, I think, is very like a little golden door.
That takes me into places where I've never been before.
It leads me into fairyland or countries strange and far.
And, best of all, the golden door always stands ajar. - Adelaide Love

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Oklahoma
  • Card-carrying melodrama villain
    • View Profile
    • All about me....<hee hee>
Re: Rex Stout-Nero Wolfe/Robert Goldsborough-Nero Wolfe
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 09:35:14 AM »
I've been slowly reading the original books, but I have too many detective series to follow! I've avoided the books by a different author so far. Maybe this is unjust.

(Make your own reading bar)
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."  - Albert Einstein

Online anguabell

• View Profile
    • Goodreads
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 03:39:39 PM »
I love the original books and have read most of them. My paperbacks are falling apart, so I've been trying to replace them with e-books that tend to be unreasonably expensive. My favorite ones are:

Some Buried Caesar (this edition contains Golden Spiders, which is pretty good as well)

The Mother Hunt

Too Many Cooks

Death of a Dude

I also highly recommend the stylish and funny Canadian TV series with Maury Chaykin as Nero Wolfe!

The early novels (or novellas) are a bit more of a pulp fiction but later on they got more refined. As someone who dislikes pastiches of any kind, I've avoided Goldsborough's books like a plague :)

Online Gertie Kindle 'a/k/a Margaret Lake'

• Florida
  • Remembering Jeff and Harvey
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 07:34:33 PM »
I've been slowly reading the original books, but I have too many detective series to follow! I've avoided the books by a different author so far. Maybe this is unjust.

For me, Archie and Wolfe are the best and I reread the books frequently.

I love the original books and have read most of them. My paperbacks are falling apart, so I've been trying to replace them with e-books that tend to be unreasonably expensive. My favorite ones are:

I finally had to throw away my paperbacks. It was very painful. But I do have all the ebooks. Sometimes a gal just has to splurge.

Some Buried Caesar (this edition contains Golden Spiders, which is pretty good as well)

The Mother Hunt

Too Many Cooks

Death of a Dude

The Mother Hunt, Death of a Doxy, and The Doorbell Rang are my favorites in that order. I also love the trilogy with Arnold Zeck.

I also highly recommend the stylish and funny Canadian TV series with Maury Chaykin as Nero Wolfe!

I absolutely did not like Timothy Hutton's portrayal of Archie. Yes, Archie is a wise-acre, but he isn't a New York wise-acre. I also thought the ensemble cast was over the top. I think it was Champagne for One that Timothy Hutton danced. I could have done without that. He would never have made it at The Flamingo with Lily.

The early novels (or novellas) are a bit more of a pulp fiction but later on they got more refined. As someone who dislikes pastiches of any kind, I've avoided Goldsborough's books like a plague :)

Maybe some day I'll try one.

One of our Kboarders wrote a follow up with Wolfe's grandson (apparently Carla got pregnant when she was in Montenegro in The Black Mountain. A little far-fetched since she was killed there) and Archie and Lily's daughter working together to solve a case.

Please visit my website to browse my virtual bookshelf.
Margaret Lake | website | twitter | youtube | facebook

Offline Mike D. aka jmiked

• Central Texas
  • Reading ebooks since 1994!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2016, 09:06:22 PM »
I don't have all the ebook versions yet... some seem to be stuck at $11.99. It's a bit puzzling that some are at $7.99 and some are at $11.99, all from Random House. I've put a price-watch on the expensive ones, but I may cave at some point.

The Nero Wolfe stories are probably my most-reread books. John Dickson Carr's locked room books (two series) are my second.

I liked the Nero Wolfe TV series when it first aired, and own the DVD set. I've found that I grow less fond of it the more I watch them, mainly because I really dislike the decision to use a repertory cast with rotating parts. I find it extremely distracting. Nothing against the actors, just the gimmick itself.

In regards the books written by Robert Goldsborough, they are OK. I haven't been able to get into the last one I bought (Archie Goodwin in the Crosshairs) for some reason. They are reasonably well-done, and I only occasionally find something that seems out-of-character or strikes a false note.

Mike
What you see depends mainly on what you are looking for.

Online HSh

• Homicide, She Typed
  • Manslaughter, She Inscribed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 02:16:21 PM »
Hey guys?  I just checked, it's on Scribd.  If you subscribe for a month and read a couple of books you wanted to, it would definitely be worth the price.  (I might just do that.  I unsubscribed from Scribd after some of its changes in policy, but I would like to read this...)

https://www.scribd.com/book/296129712/Stop-the-Presses
https://www.scribd.com/book/253359622/Archie-in-the-Crosshairs

Hollis Shiloh  | My blog | Amazon page

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
  • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2017, 01:31:04 PM »
Old thread, new sale for the Kindle version of a Rex Stout Nero Wolfe. :)  Currently $1.99!

eta:  I'm sure the fans already know, but this is one of the short story collections.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 01:34:41 PM by crebel »
A book, I think, is very like a little golden door.
That takes me into places where I've never been before.
It leads me into fairyland or countries strange and far.
And, best of all, the golden door always stands ajar. - Adelaide Love

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2017, 03:39:57 PM »
Old thread, new sale for the Kindle version of a Rex Stout Nero Wolfe. :)  Currently $1.99!

eta:  I'm sure the fans already know, but this is one of the short story collections.

Of course, I already have it, but now I must read it again for the umpteenth time.

Offline Mike D. aka jmiked

• Central Texas
  • Reading ebooks since 1994!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2017, 02:22:43 PM »
On the topic of Nero Wolfe, I think one of the better attempts to bring him to the screen was the 1977 TV movie Nero Wolfe, starring Thayer David as Wolfe and Tom Mason as Archie. It was a pilot for a proposed series, but Thayer's death halted the project. The film was eventually shown in 1979 as a midnight movie. It was based on Rex Stout's The Doorbell Rang. It has shown up on TV several times over the years. It was criticized for being too talky. It also played fast and loose with the events in the novel. I have it on VHS tape somewhere.

The show was recast in 1981 with William Conrad and Lee Horsley as Wolfe and Archie (both poor choices IMHO), and lasted 14 episodes. It died a deserved death.

Wolfe was played in the movies (Meet Nero Wolfe, 1936) by Edward Arnold, who had the advantage of having the approximate build of Wolfe and was a very good actor. A sequel (The League of Frightened Men, 1937) followed the next year with Walter Connolly as Wolfe. I didn't care for his performance. Lionel Stander played a comic sidekick version of Archie in both movies, every bit as awful as Nigel Bruce's Watson in the Homes movies with Basil Rathbone.

What you see depends mainly on what you are looking for.

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2017, 04:11:37 PM »
On the topic of Nero Wolfe, I think one of the better attempts to bring him to the screen was the 1977 TV movie Nero Wolfe, starring Thayer David as Wolfe and Tom Mason as Archie. It was a pilot for a proposed series, but Thayer's death halted the project. The film was eventually shown in 1979 as a midnight movie. It was based on Rex Stout's The Doorbell Rang. It has shown up on TV several times over the years. It was criticized for being too talky. It also played fast and loose with the events in the novel. I have it on VHS tape somewhere.

The show was recast in 1981 with William Conrad and Lee Horsley as Wolfe and Archie (both poor choices IMHO), and lasted 14 episodes. It died a deserved death.

Wolfe was played in the movies (Meet Nero Wolfe, 1936) by Edward Arnold, who had the advantage of having the approximate build of Wolfe and was a very good actor. A sequel (The League of Frightened Men, 1937) followed the next year with Walter Connolly as Wolfe. I didn't care for his performance. Lionel Stander played a comic sidekick version of Archie in both movies, every bit as awful as Nigel Bruce's Watson in the Homes movies with Basil Rathbone.

I remember the William Conrad version. That was 14 episodes too long.

I watched the Timothy Hutton version when it was on A&E (?). I was just so happy to see Wolfe on TV, I didn't really notice the shortcomings of the series. That is until I got the DVD's a couple of years ago.

First, Timothy Hutton can't dance so they should have just left that part out (Champagne for One I think). Second, he played Archie like a wise-cracking New Yorker when in fact, he was from Ohio and shouldn't have had a NY accent. Archie was more of a smooth talking wise-cracker with much more sophistication, IMO. I didn't like the ensemble cast, either. I did like Maury Chakin but everything else was way too exaggerated.

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2017, 04:20:51 PM »
The David Thayer movie is on youtube. Poor quality. I'll let you know.

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2017, 05:54:07 PM »
I watched the movie last night. As I said, very poor quality. Someone recorded it on an old VCR and uploaded it. There's a lot of old movies on youtube recorded that way.

Allowing for the needs of TV, I was okay with the big change in how the killer was caught. But, Wolfe flirting with Mrs. Bruner? Archie saying Wolfe never leaves the house on business and then Wolfe and Archie being in Althaus' apartment? Wolfe at Rusterman's was certainly okay.

I wasn't too happy with Lon Cohen at first but he did work out. The rest of the supporting cast were fine but I especially liked Fritz. Tom Mason did a good job as Archie and, except for how Wolfe was written, Thayer David was also very good. I always enjoy Anne Bancroft.

Offline V.P.

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2017, 08:53:52 AM »
On the topic of Nero Wolfe, I think one of the better attempts to bring him to the screen was the 1977 TV movie Nero Wolfe, starring Thayer David as Wolfe and Tom Mason as Archie. . .

I remember the TV show starring William Conrad as Nero Wolfe. I had high hopes for it, but they were quickly dashed. In spite of everything, though, I enjoyed the ending scene where Nero Wolfe would retire to his ornate bed and pull the bed curtains closed. It was just so over-the-top.

Online 9 Diamonds

• View Profile
    • 9 Diamonds Press
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2017, 04:01:14 AM »
I have the first six Nero Wolfes stored on my Kindle and I'm looking forward to reading them after I've finished the very last in the Lord Peter Wimsey series (the fourth title by Jill Paton Walsh).

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2017, 11:38:43 AM »
I just tried to read one of the Goldsborough novels. Number 7, The Missing Chapter.

After seven books, he should certainly have gotten the characters down pat. He hasn't. Goldsborough should have written his own characters.