KB Featured
Grey Daze: A Lance Underphal Mystery
by Michael Allan Scott

Kindle Edition published 2015-03-29
Bestseller ranking: 167157

Product Description
An IAN Book of the Year Finalist and featured on NBC's Daytime Show, the third book in the Lance Underphal Mystery series is part of a new breed of supernatural thrillers which can be read and enjoyed in any order. Based on real events, this is one of those dark, disturbing novels that keeps you turning pages.

Download the sample or use the "Look inside" feature for a FREE E-book offer.

It's a mystery- Something is wrong. As Lance Underphal pads softly across the cold flagstone, he hears her weeping. She is on her knees, hunched over in the middle of the room, her back to him, facing the dark fireplace. Something is very wrong. Lance wants to rush to her, but can't. In a hoarse whisper, he says, "Callie?" She lets out a mournful wail from deep within as she turns, their infant son in her arms, blue and still. He reels from the blow. How can this be? They don't have a son.

Author Topic: help with book cover  (Read 792 times)  

Offline reilyg

• View Profile
    • Reily Garrett
help with book cover
« on: December 06, 2017, 01:06:01 PM »
Hi folks,

I would love some constructive criticism on a new ebook cover.
 The book is a suspense/thriller

Reily Garrett | website | blog | facebook

Online Gertie Kindle 'a/k/a Margaret Lake'

• Florida
  • Remembering Jeff and Harvey
    • View Profile
Re: help with book cover
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 01:17:03 PM »
Hi folks,

I would love some constructive criticism on a new ebook cover

Good images but it needs something. Wish I could tell you what.

I don't think the jigsaw puzzle is going to show up in thumbnail.

Please visit my website to browse my virtual bookshelf.
Margaret Lake | website | twitter | youtube | facebook

Offline Puddleduck

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 01:31:46 PM »
I'd take out the jigsaw thing. I don't think it adds anything. And I like the title font, but the author name font really doesn't seem right for the genre (or any genre, actually). So I'd go with something different, maybe a simpler serif font.

The photo on top looks to me like it was squashed a little. Is that the original aspect ratio?

Offline MajesticMonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 02:12:10 PM »
Same for me. The puzzle thing looks kinda tacky in my opinion. Plus the pieces look like they are puzzle from a children's puzzle (maybe because they are so big) so send the completely wrong vibe for me.

I like your image and colors etc though. The puzzle thing is the only thing I noticed right away. Feel free to disagree.

Offline renahobie

• I think about book covers. All the time.
    • View Profile
    • Cover Quill
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 02:12:57 PM »
I'd take out the jigsaw thing. I don't think it adds anything. And I like the title font, but the author name font really doesn't seem right for the genre (or any genre, actually). So I'd go with something different, maybe a simpler serif font.

The photo on top looks to me like it was squashed a little. Is that the original aspect ratio?
Those were my thoughts, too.

Offline C. Gold

• View Profile
    • Golden Elm Publishing
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 02:32:43 PM »
I think it looks like it's missing something because the title is dead smack in the center of the image with nothing above at all and only a name far, far below. The background image is really good, but the text isn't working.

Offline abgwriter

• Florida, USA.
    • View Profile
    • Riddles, Rumors and Rhymes
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 02:43:04 PM »
As the others said, you have good, striking images with good contrast, which is always an eye-catcher. Typography needs work. The main title could do with some detailing so it doesn't look so smack-dab in your image and it integrates with the overall design. Maybe some layering or texture. And the author name's font doesn't really go with the rest of it. Someone up above suggested a serif font, but I would rather suggest to use a simple sans-serif like Built Titling or Raleway and focus your typography efforts in the title.
Other than that, it looks good, its legible in thumbnail size and as for the jigsaw pieces, I'd say it's up to you. It's true they are not really visible, but they don't detract from the overall design, so if they are relevant to your story and you want to include them as a reference element, I don't think it'd be social suicide to leave them  ;)

Arel B. Grant | Cover Design | Writing Blog | Newsletter

Offline wearywanderer64

• Spain
  • I wander lonely as a cloud
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 03:01:26 PM »
I'm curious about why you need the two images.

Alex Mahon | Scribbling Tales

Offline BrianDHoward

• Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • Brian D Howard - Author
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 03:12:25 PM »
I would love some constructive criticism on a new ebook cover.
Some general agreement: the images are sharp and clear at both sizes. The author name font should change. I don't care for the jigsaw pieces and agree they should go--unless maybe they're smaller and some of them are missing.

I think where I most get caught is neither picture says "suspense/thriller." The chandelier suggests a gothic or horror or paranormal feel, while the noose/rope maybe feels murder mystery. The expressions both have a worn-down look that would fit perfect on a Western, but don't suggest any tension.
Rectifier - the Electric Man: 20%

Riftworlds Book 1: 10%
Brian D Howard | Blog

Offline RRodriguez

• View Profile
    • The Pixie Chronicles
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 03:18:35 PM »
The chandelier and rope are bothering me. They look very stark and not meshed well with the house. I like the top image, but I agree it looks a little bit squashed down. Overall I like the direction its going, it just needs some minor refining.
thepixiechronicles.com

Offline geronl

• View Profile
    • Floyd Looney's Sci-Fi
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2017, 03:35:49 PM »
Make the puzzle outline thicker, have missing pieces.

Floyd Looney

Offline reilyg

• View Profile
    • Reily Garrett
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2017, 03:54:55 PM »
Thank you so much everyone for the help. It is GREATLY appreciated.

Reily Garrett | website | blog | facebook

Offline Parker Rimes

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2017, 01:16:05 AM »
Briefly, the two images don't blend well together; neither do the two typefaces. I'd keep it simpler; adding more elements like the jigsaw, chandelier, and noose just creates more confusion. Somewhere I found this list of typefaces that fit together: Baskerville/Myriad, Garamond/Century2, Mongolian Baiti/Helvetica, Palatino/Gill Sans.

I'm not enough of a graphic designer to say more.

Hope this helps.

Parker Rimes | Website

Offline martyns

• United Kingdom
  • Author of the 'Deathsworn Arc'
    • View Profile
    • Goodreads Author Page
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2017, 02:03:55 AM »
I don't like the author font. It looks a bit amateur. I like the top image, but the bottom one doesn't have the clarity. As others have said the jigsaw effect will be lost on thumbnail. I like the title font. I'm almost inclined to say drop the bottom image and the jigsaw effect and maximize the great character image and the professional looking font you've used for the title. I feel like it's trying to do too much?

Martyn

Book 1 of the Deathsworn Arc 'Deathsworn Arc: The Last Dragon Slayer' is FREE to download!
Martyn Stanley | Website | Facebook | Goodreads | Twitter | Amazon | Google+ | WattPad

Offline geronl

• View Profile
    • Floyd Looney's Sci-Fi
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2017, 01:28:12 PM »
The jigsaw and a simpler image would work well, but there needs to be a piece or two missing.

Floyd Looney

Offline katie78

• Tucson, AZ
  • I'm a hybrid author with several published novels.
    • View Profile
    • Katie O'Rourke
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2017, 04:41:46 PM »
I don't like the author font. It looks a bit amateur. I like the top image, but the bottom one doesn't have the clarity. As others have said the jigsaw effect will be lost on thumbnail. I like the title font. I'm almost inclined to say drop the bottom image and the jigsaw effect and maximize the great character image and the professional looking font you've used for the title. I feel like it's trying to do too much?

Martyn
agree.

Offline Alix Adale

• Pacific Northwest
  • Paranormal passion--embrace the night.
    • View Profile
    • alixadale.com
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2017, 09:30:51 PM »
No blending of the images, mismatched typefaces, it's failing in both typography and graphic design. Nothing wrong with the underlying images though. They are strong images misused.

Paranormal passion--embrace the night.
Alix Adale | website | newsletter | twitter | goodreads

Offline Day Leitao

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2017, 04:59:03 AM »
I suggest you get someone to do the typography for you. The typography you have right now is really not good.

Since you already chose the images, you could get someone for cheap on Fiverr. (cause they mostly do typography only)

This seller is outstanding: https://www.fiverr.com/rebecacovers

This is another good one: https://www.fiverr.com/germancreative 

Now you can see deliveries on Fiverr so you don't have to worry about fake portfolios.

You will need to spend a little, but it's better than an amateur looking cover. We are talking about 26$ at most. (Try not to get the cheapest package) I don't know your financial situation, and I won't assume it's nothing, but I think it would be worth in this case. Plus you'll save the time of tinkering with the cover yourself.

And a professional looking cover makes a difference on sales.

Good luck!

Offline TromboneAl

• Name IRL: Al Macy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2017, 08:11:15 AM »
I'm curious about why you need the two images.

I also think one image would be better. I see what you're going for: showing the mystery aspect AND the relationship aspect. I'd choose one or find a new image that depicts both.

Al Macy | Web Site | Facebook | Twitter

Offline Dana L.

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2017, 07:17:28 AM »
I think the jigsaw is a cool idea, but it needs to be smaller and have some missing pieces. I agree the noose looks staged, and that the top image is better than the bottom image.

Offline SA_Soule

• Northern CA
  • Author, Creativity Coach, & Avid Reader
    • View Profile
    • Amazon Author Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2017, 08:59:25 AM »
What if you cut out the couple and put them in front of the cabin/house? (enlarge the house) Put the title at the top in a more "genre specific" font and the author name.

It looks like the cover fits the "romantic suspense" category and you should study other bestsellers in your genre.

My advice (I've given this before) is to make sure the cover is not too busy, with too many distracting images or elements. And try to blend all images together so the cover looks balanced. Make sure the text is centered because it is much more appealing to the eye. Darken any areas to help the title stand out.

A lot of successful authors and graphic designers will agree that if your book cover does not match the current trends in the genre that you're writing, then there is a good chance that the story will not reach your intended audience.

I have more advice on my blog if you're interested. 

Book Covers Don't Matter: http://bookcover-designs.blogspot.com/2015/11/book-covers-dont-matter-and-they-dont.html

6 Tips to Marketing Your Novel and Increasing Book Sales: http://bookcover-designs.blogspot.com/2015/11/3-tips-to-marketing-your-novel-and.html

And if you want help with the cover, I understand not having much money to spend, but maybe we could work something out. I've helped numerous authors on kboards for free or for a very low price as my way of paying-it-forward. Send me a DM or email and we can discuss it.  ;) Link to my post: http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,210041.0.html

Whatever you decide to do, I wish you every success!