Author Topic: Amazon adds 'Reviews that mention' keywords  (Read 1929 times)  

Offline Aderyn Wood

• View Profile
    • Aderyn Wood - Blog
Amazon adds 'Reviews that mention' keywords
« on: February 22, 2018, 01:30:47 PM »
Anyone else noticed this new feature above the reviews on a book's kindle store page?

It's a little box with keywords from reviews. Could be good to know for metadata and AMS? Perhaps another way to get potential readers to look at the good reviews? I think I like it.

I found it on one of my books just now - https://www.amazon.com/Raven-Secret-Chronicles-Lost-Magic-ebook/dp/B018OU23X4/

Aderyn Wood | Blog | Twitter

Online Christa_Tomlinson

• View Profile
Re: Amazon adds 'Reviews that mention' keywords
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 01:34:23 PM »
That's pretty cool! I went and checked one of my books and it's there. Can be a great tool for readers to find other books they're interested in.

Christa Tomlinson | Website | Facebook | Newsletter | Instagram

Offline Aderyn Wood

• View Profile
    • Aderyn Wood - Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 01:37:47 PM »
I think you have to have 35 reviews to get this new feature. One of my books with precisely 35 reviews has it, whereas another with 34 doesnt.

EDIT: cancel that. The book with 34 reviews also has the feature now.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 01:50:34 PM by Aderyn Wood »

Offline LilyBLily

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 02:16:58 PM »
Saw it before and see it now on one of mine, and have the added pleasure of discovering a new and positive review. The words are very general. Worth a try, but likely to run up clicks without producing sales. I'll add them to my AMS ad and see what happens.

Offline Becca Mills

• California
    • View Profile
    • website
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 02:32:32 PM »
Huh. Seems like a cool idea, but having fewer but more meaningful keywords might be better. I have ones like "soon" and "kept" and "please." Terms like those seem oddly low-value.

Offline Aderyn Wood

• View Profile
    • Aderyn Wood - Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2018, 03:33:43 PM »
Saw it before and see it now on one of mine, and have the added pleasure of discovering a new and positive review. The words are very general. Worth a try, but likely to run up clicks without producing sales. I'll add them to my AMS ad and see what happens.

Im going to try a few on AMS too. You never know.

Huh. Seems like a cool idea, but having fewer but more meaningful keywords might be better. I have ones like "soon" and "kept" and "please." Terms like those seem oddly low-value.

I have kept too. Please is an odd one.

Offline MelanieCellier

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2018, 04:46:27 AM »

Agreed! And names could probably be left out, too. (One of my books has my first name, my last name, my MC's name, her sister's name, and the hero's name all appearing. Doesn't seem too helpful, haha.) One interesting effect is it makes the use of ARCs more obvious. I happened to be looking at a book page just before and it had 'voluntarily', 'reviewed', 'honest', 'copy', and 'arc' as words. Really made it stand out that there must have been a bunch of ARC reviews.

It will be interesting to see if this sticks around, and if they refine it at all. 

Melanie Cellier | Website | Facebook

Offline flipsideB

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2018, 07:14:34 AM »
Agreed! And names could probably be left out, too. (One of my books has my first name, my last name, my MC's name, her sister's name, and the hero's name all appearing. Doesn't seem too helpful, haha.) One interesting effect is it makes the use of ARCs more obvious. I happened to be looking at a book page just before and it had 'voluntarily', 'reviewed', 'honest', 'copy', and 'arc' as words. Really made it stand out that there must have been a bunch of ARC reviews.

It will be interesting to see if this sticks around, and if they refine it at all.
I had a chance to use this new feature, as a reader, this week. I found out that a fantasy series that I'd wandered away from a few years ago had finished, and I was trying to decide whether to bother reading the last couple books. Being able to find reviews that talked about my favorite characters, by clicking on their names, drew me back into the series enough that I did end up getting the books. Searching for reviews that mentioned the "ending" was also a help. The more generic reviews that simply said "this book was good" or "this book was meh" were less help. I like the new feature and hope it stays.

Offline jackconnerbooks

• Austin, TX
  • Jack Conner
    • View Profile
    • Jack Conner Books
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2018, 09:07:34 AM »
Is there a way to suggest keywords to Amazon? Because they're missing some important ones on my book The Atomic Sea -- like Lovecraftian, for example.

Bestselling fantasy, science fiction and horror writer
Jack Conner | Facebook | Wordpress | Amazon Author Page

Online DCRWrites

• Wentworth Hall, Tellus of Sol
  • A writer writes
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Yesterday's Tomorrow
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2018, 12:19:31 PM »
Not showing on my books, but I'm still sitting on 7 reviews as the most any book has.

Welcome to the worlds outside my window
Dave Robinson | Blog | Twitter

Offline MelanieCellier

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2018, 04:08:10 PM »
I had a chance to use this new feature, as a reader, this week. I found out that a fantasy series that I'd wandered away from a few years ago had finished, and I was trying to decide whether to bother reading the last couple books. Being able to find reviews that talked about my favorite characters, by clicking on their names, drew me back into the series enough that I did end up getting the books. Searching for reviews that mentioned the "ending" was also a help. The more generic reviews that simply said "this book was good" or "this book was meh" were less help. I like the new feature and hope it stays.

There you go! Maybe names are helpful, after all. Although my name probably less so :)

Is there a way to suggest keywords to Amazon? Because they're missing some important ones on my book The Atomic Sea -- like Lovecraftian, for example.

Theyre not actually keywords from what I can see, theyre words that are mentioned a lot in the reviews and clicking on them will take you to those reviews.

Offline Kate.

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2018, 09:52:50 PM »
I like it! It gives me a feel for a story without having to read each review. My favourite genre is horror but I don't like super violent books, and it's sometimes hard to know how far they go with just the blurb. This keyword setup gives an easy warning by displaying phrases like "violent", "gory", "extreme".

Offline MelanieCellier

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2018, 10:28:33 PM »
I like it! It gives me a feel for a story without having to read each review. My favourite genre is horror but I don't like super violent books, and it's sometimes hard to know how far they go with just the blurb. This keyword setup gives an easy warning by displaying phrases like "violent", "gory", "extreme".

As a reader I think I like it, too :)

Have you checked a few books you're familiar with to see how accurately the words portray the issue you're looking at? I don't read horror, but I'm wondering whether those words would still come up if there were a lot of reviews saying things like "I appreciated that this book wasn't too gory", "It was nice to read a horror without a lot of violence" etc. But maybe horror readers don't write that kind of thing in their reviews, haha.

Offline Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Durban, South Africa
  • Don't let your emotions overpower your intellect
    • View Profile
    • www.just4kix.jimdo.com
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2018, 10:10:40 AM »
I mentioned this a couple of months ago, but mine are on the UK site.

Fiction, family saga, humour, short stories, teen, children's
Jan Hurst-Nicholson | author website

Offline Kate.

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2018, 05:09:31 PM »
As a reader I think I like it, too :)

Have you checked a few books you're familiar with to see how accurately the words portray the issue you're looking at? I don't read horror, but I'm wondering whether those words would still come up if there were a lot of reviews saying things like "I appreciated that this book wasn't too gory", "It was nice to read a horror without a lot of violence" etc. But maybe horror readers don't write that kind of thing in their reviews, haha.
That's a good question! I've had a poke around some books I like, but so far, it doesn't seem to be a problem. Maybe the algorithms can detect when a negative is used? (If the review says "not gory")

Offline ParkerAvrile

• View Profile
    • Parker Avrile's Steamy Gay ROmance
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2018, 07:28:46 PM »
It's just silly. I won't use my own books for an example, but some of the keywords are things like character first names, author first name, etc. Completely useless. 

By way of example, here are the words coming up for me for Denis Johnson's Jesus Son.

johnson denis prose collection drug drugs
narrators fiction writer writers lost literature
dark heroin addiction emergency poetic language

In other words, there is literally NO keyword that is helpful to anyone who has arrived on the Denis Johnson Jesus Son sales page, we already know this stuff. (For the non Johnson fans, Emergency is the name of probably his most famous short story, the one you read in English class)

I'm no Denis Johnson but same song, different verse for my books.  It just isn't helpful. It's more noise on the page. I'm not interested in convincing people to read reviews. I'm interested in convincing people to buy books. I know that's a radical concept for Amazon but there it is.
Visit my website for free reads & giveaways for lovers of steamy m/m romance https://parkeravrile.wordpress.com/blog/

Offline JRTomlin

• View Profile
    • J. R. Tomlin on Writing and More
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2018, 08:19:14 PM »
Some of the keywords are a little odd. I have 'words' as one on one of my novels. Words in a novel. Who'd a thunk it. 🤦

I also have 'fiction' and 'Tomlin' as keywords in one. Hardly useful. Just noise and the page doesn't need more noise.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 08:24:35 PM by JRTomlin »

Saor Alba
J. R. Tomlin

Offline D-C

• UK
    • View Profile
    • Author website
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2018, 05:32:18 AM »
Just noise and the page doesn't need more noise.

THIS.

Offline KelliWolfe

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2018, 07:19:26 AM »
1. Like we really needed more useless garbage cluttering up our product pages, which are barely navigable as it is

2. Like this would really help when Amazon is dumping existing reviews in the landfill and going out of their way to keep us from getting new ones

Olivia Blake | Lessons in Love

Offline StacyC

• Seattle-ish
  • Run like you have to get to the library
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Claflin, Author
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2018, 08:23:19 AM »
I'm on the fence. I agree that the Amazon sales pages certainly don't need more distractions. Some of the keywords are helpful in that readers can click on the ones that are most relevant. As a reader, sometimes I search reviews to find out if a book has something in them and this feature makes it a lot easier. However, some of the words that show up are entirely not useful. Especially ones like "ARC."

USA Today bestselling author of The Gone Trilogy & Dean's List: Website | Goodreads | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Free Books