Author Topic: Life getting in the way :(  (Read 1366 times)  

Offline D A Bale

• United States
  • author, editor, cover designer
    • View Profile
    • DA Bale Publishing
Re: Life getting in the way :(
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2016, 11:53:54 AM »
Okay, maybe I'm the oddball here (I've been called worse), but I'm not a morning person and could never get up earlier to write since I feel like I have to be resurrected before the crack of each dawn.  If writing is only a hobby for you at this point, why not just set aside time on the weekends to work on your story?  If you're well-rested and have a plan for the weekend days (housework will still be there when you're done), crack out 5,000 words on Saturday or Sunday.  I know they say you should write every single day, but if you were like me when I started as a single mother working full-time-plus with a young son and other family commitments, you'll make better headway by setting aside time every weekend.  Plus, with a clearer head you'll end up with better writing the first go-round and not have to spend so much time editing your second draft.  My first two books were written this way.  Now I'm working part-time away from home and writing part-time too.  It all depends on your mindset, so give yourself a break and take a deep breath.  It usually takes four to six months to settle into a comfort zone with a new job anyway.  You'll get there!  :D

TMG

« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2016, 12:20:59 PM »
I understand because my life is super busy too. But I get up early now and give my best hours to writing. I have next to no time to socialize. Just remember that Graham Greene wrote 500 words a day and he published a lot of very well respected books :)

You can do it!

TMG

Offline JosiahUpton

• Fort Worth, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2016, 12:35:04 PM »
Same here. Nearly 2 and half years later, I'm FINALLY releasing my sequel. Between working 4 days a week and raising 3 young boys, getting anything done outside of my 2 four-hour writing blocks a week is almost impossible. This summer I didn't have any dedicated time during the week. And then I come on the KBoards and get bummed, seeing others releasing every two or three months...

But no one else is going to write our stories for us. Keep at it!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 01:08:17 PM by JosiahUpton »

Josiah Upton | Blog | Facebook | Twitter

Offline J.R. Tate

• Texas
  • Author of the Damaged Climate Series
    • View Profile
    • J.R. Tate's Random Musings
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2016, 02:52:36 PM »
You're human - we all go through this.

Unfortunately I don't really have the option of getting up earlier before work to write, as I have to be up at 4:45 AM to make it to work by 6:15 AM. I don't think I can get up much earlier than that. And I'm covering 2 units right now. I work in prison education so it's very exhausting! But I do love my day job!

Life definitely happens. I've tried to set a daily goal of what I want to write but sometimes it just doesn't happen. Keep going - even if you can't get to it every day, at least you will eventually write. I tend to get a higher word count on the weekends... as long as there isn't some function or event going on that forces me to be sociable. (I'm very introverted, as most writers are)

J.R. Tate | Blog | Facebook | Twitter

Offline alawston

• London
  • London-based writer and actor
    • View Profile
    • Andrew K Lawston's intermittent blogular adventures
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2016, 01:24:11 AM »
I'm a  teacher (well lead practitioner) in the UK, and have been for over 10 years, but year upon year the workload gets worse and worse. The professions in a bit of a crisis over here, I'm just trying to ride the storm in the hope things turn around.

Oh gosh, I know that pain. I was a French teacher for a short time about a dozen years ago, and it was crushing then. One of the (many many) reasons I left the profession was that I felt like I would never have any time to pursue other dreams, such as writing, and acting. My current schedule is pretty daunting, but I know I'd never have got even as far as I have if I'd stayed in the profession.

Broadly comic writer working across as many genres as he can. Acting done.
Andrew Lawston | Facebook | Twitter

Online Herefortheride

• Chengdu
  • Loving every minute
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2016, 02:27:30 AM »
You can change it up. You say you are exhausted after work, right? So go to bed and then get up earlier and do it in the morning. If you do it first thing you'll know you've got it out of the way and it can make you happier for the rest of the day. If you are tired...sleep   8)
Blood Cauldron (DoH book 3) going to the editor now: 99%

Havenglade Mysteries (Book 1): 43%
H.C. Harrington

Offline ChrisWard

• View Profile
    • A Million Miles from Anywhere
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2016, 04:29:38 AM »
Work full and part time, up to an hour commutes, beautiful six month old daughter, two cats and a wife who couldn't care less if I never write another word ... I understand where you're coming from.

And yet, 420k this year so far and counting, so it can be done, believe me. There are sacrifices to be made though. I never watch TV, have literally zero social life (last went out for a beer in March...), never do anything other than work, housework, baby care work, and write. I survive on five hours sleep a night and a ton of coffee.

On the plus side, not being full time totally takes the pressure off. I don't make that much money and its frustrating whenever a new release falls flat (one out this week, one sale, um, lol?), but at least I'm not counting on that money to pay the bills. I can write what I like, quietly build my backlist, and hope the day comes when it all goes boom.

Offline KatieLee

• England
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2016, 06:06:21 AM »
I understand, I run a 9 person business full time and have a child with learning difficulties.

I seem to spend too much time tired in the evenings and too tired to get up before my daughter does at 5.30 in the mornings!

But I love what someone else commented - these are the experiences that will put the grit and realism into our writing.

You're making progress, that's the main thing.  You're not competing with anyone!

Katie

Offline dgaughran

• Dublin
  • Let's Get Digital
    • View Profile
    • David Gaughran
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2016, 06:53:39 AM »
Life gets in the way sometimes, or a lot of the time, depending on your circumstances. I had a lot of stuff going on in RL last year, and I dropped off the radar a little and didn't end up publishing anything in 2015, or blogging much, or promoting anything really. Rankings suffered, you lose visibility, sales drop, but so what? Yes, it sucks at the time and you start to question yourself and all that. But don't be so hard on yourself. You do what you can when you can, and don't forget that it's all recoverable.

You might lose some momentum and a little bit of your audience and your list might go a little stale etc., but you will make all that back up once you get into the swing of things again. And you will. The most important thing is to try and be regular about producing new words. Everything else can go to pot but keep that going as much as you can. The longer the gap between word-producing times, the harder it is to keep your good habits and the longer it takes to get back into the groove. Even if it's only a few pages or a few paragraphs, try and keep it moving through the tricky patches and you won't fall too far behind.

Offline scott.marmorstein

• North Philly
    • View Profile
    • Scott Marmorstein
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2016, 09:40:56 AM »
I've gone through this too. It's been over 2 years getting my third and final novel in a trilogy completed. Still editing it every day before I move onto other serious projects. Also work full time. And yes, writing first thing in the morning is the only way to do it for me for now.
PREVAIL - Owen Hunter Series Book 3: 99%
Scott Marmorstein | blog | web | facebook

Offline rjspears

• Columbus, OH
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2016, 05:23:30 PM »
Like the OP, I've had life get in the way of writing.  I last released a novel nearly two years ago.  We had lay-offs at my job including my boss, dumping a load more work in my life.  I had a health issue that waylaid me for a couple months, then my wife got cancer. 

Through it all, I continued writing, but not at my my past pace.  The writing was my escape and my release.  When I wrote, my issues melted away.

While I wasn't releasing, I stayed productive.  I got talked into a collaboration that turned into a 3 book series.  The series is getting close to be released.  I just handed a new novel to my publisher and I'm about to kick off a new project.   

Writing is the long game for me.
R.J. Spears