Author Topic: Promote Your Work with the Indie Anthology 2016 - PUBLISHED!  (Read 19502 times)  

Offline Sapphire

• Omaha NE
    • View Profile
Are you providing a statement (as Andrew did) giving permission for use of our stories in the anthology that spells out the author retains copyright and all future publication rights as well as clarifying that this book will be priced for free with every effort made to force a price match on Amazon?

Offline George Donnelly

• The Andes
  • Failure is the key to success.
    • View Profile
    • Author George Donnelly
Hi guys

Here's a 1-month update. We're about halfway through the submission period. Thanks for your contributions so far!

We've got:

17 submissions

18 stories

2 of the submissions, the link to the story doesn't work. So if that is fixed, we may have 2 more stories.

(N.B. I don't guarantee to include every submitted story and haven't read any of them yet.)

Here's the genre breakdown:

Bizarro Fiction
Dystopian
Drama
Unknown x 2
Fantasy x 4
Horror
Mystery
YA Paranormal Mystery
YA Paranormal x 2
Young Adult Mystery
Literary Fiction
Science Fiction x 2

Here are the title suggestions so far (thanks and we need more, please):

'I, Story: A Collection of Tall Tales and Short Stories' (Hurricane John)

A Flash in the Pocket:  A Very Short Fiction Anthology (she-la-ti-da)

Tidbits:  Commuter Fiction (she-la-ti-da)

I'd like to get a firm commitment on who will be doing the cover at this point. Help?

To help, please:

- invite more authors;
- come up with title ideas;
- volunteer to design the cover; and
- write more stories (I'm committing to contributing between 2 and 3).

Thanks!
Professional editing more reliable than Bukowski's liquor bill:
 Get a free 10,000 word trial edit now (secret babies optional)
George Donnelly | GeorgeDonnelly.com | Twitter | Facebook | Amazon | Goodreads

Offline Hurricane John

• Orlando, Florida
    • View Profile
Here's another suggestion for a title.

Indie Shorts: An Anthology of Bitesize Fiction

Stories of Mystery, Suspense and more
John D. Ottini | Amazon Author Page | Facebook | Blog

Offline Michael Barbato-Dunn

• View Profile
    • Author Website
George, I submitted one this morning, but didn't see any place on the form to specify genre.  Am I missing something?

Also, I used Dropbox, but can only set links to read-only.  Is that sufficient?

Thanks for doing this!

P.S. I really like "A Flash in the Pocket" suggested title.

Offline George Donnelly

• The Andes
    • View Profile
    • Author George Donnelly
George, I submitted one this morning, but didn't see any place on the form to specify genre.  Am I missing something?

Ideally, I'd like authors to specify genre in the story submission section of the form but don't worry if you didn't.

Thanks for your submission, by the way! Looking forward to reading your story.

Also, I used Dropbox, but can only set links to read-only.  Is that sufficient?

It's fine, no worries.

Offline George Saoulidis

• Greece
    • View Profile
    • Become a mythographer
I just sent mine, just one story. Think I'm ok with everything.

George Saoulidis | Join The Mythographers | Twitter | Instagram

Offline George Donnelly

• The Andes
    • View Profile
    • Author George Donnelly
I just sent mine, just one story. Think I'm ok with everything.

Got it, thanks George. Looking forward to reading it.

Offline she-la-ti-da

• in the bunker
    • View Profile
George, with the .com Wordpress site, AKA the free blog/site, you can't do third party embedded forms (I think that's the correct terminology), or widgets, or whatever, so only a pop up from Mail Chimp will work. I'm thinking I might be able to meet the requirements using my placeholder Weebly publisher site, so I'll look into that. Also, checking how much going paid with WP. Or paid with someone. Anyway, I've got a little time to fix it, so I'll focus on submitting the stories.

On to other business:  I'm willing to work on the cover, or do it entirely, if we have a design. I'm fairly competent with Photoshop, and do my own covers. I may not have the fonts desired (if they're expensive ones, that's for sure). Have we decided what it's going to look like? Using the same stock and concept, or going in an entirely different direction?
Queen of Procrasti Nation

Genres: speculative fiction under main pen name.

Offline George Donnelly

• The Andes
    • View Profile
    • Author George Donnelly
George, with the .com Wordpress site, AKA the free blog/site, you can't do third party embedded forms (I think that's the correct terminology), or widgets, or whatever, so only a pop up from Mail Chimp will work. I'm thinking I might be able to meet the requirements using my placeholder Weebly publisher site, so I'll look into that. Also, checking how much going paid with WP. Or paid with someone. Anyway, I've got a little time to fix it, so I'll focus on submitting the stories.

A link to the signup form from a page on your site is fine. You don't have to go any further than that. No need to spend money. Seriously.

On to other business:  I'm willing to work on the cover, or do it entirely, if we have a design. I'm fairly competent with Photoshop, and do my own covers. I may not have the fonts desired (if they're expensive ones, that's for sure). Have we decided what it's going to look like? Using the same stock and concept, or going in an entirely different direction?

Awesome! Thanks for reconfirming your commitment on that. I have zero ideas for the design and am totally open to whatever you want.

I don't think we can use the same image as from Stories on the Go #1. I haven't explicitly asked for it but I don't think we would get it even if I did.

I'm thinking generally of positioning it as an indie sampler, taking into account the wide range of genres. Beyond that, I'm at a loss. Any ideas?

Offline KDMcAdams

• New Hampshire
    • View Profile
    • K. D. McAdams
George, this is great, thanks for pulling it together. I just requested your service for line edits on one story and hope to have a second story ready this week.

As far as titles go I like she-la-ti-da's Tidbits: Commuter Fiction

K. D. McAdams | Website | Twitter | Facebook | Google Plus

Offline jckang

• Richmond, VA
    • View Profile
I just joined kboards yesterday, so sorry if this is late.  I can get a 1k-word story by the deadline, either fantasy or sci-fi.

Multicultural Epic Fantasy
JC Kang | Facebook Page | Twitter | Newsletter

Offline George Donnelly

• The Andes
    • View Profile
    • Author George Donnelly
George, this is great, thanks for pulling it together. I just requested your service for line edits on one story and hope to have a second story ready this week.

Got it, thanks!

I just joined kboards yesterday, so sorry if this is late.  I can get a 1k-word story by the deadline, either fantasy or sci-fi.

No worries, we still have several weeks to go and I look forward to your story. :)

Offline tommy gun

• Canada
    • View Profile
    • The Sci Fi side (WIP)
Hi George!

Story finished, I reviewed, off to editor.  Hopefully back by end week. 1,437 words.  I MAY be able to trim a little bit more.

tg
Transference Zombie bk 1: 91%

Corporate Marines bk 4: 19%

Transference Zombie bk 2: 33%
No matter what.  STAY POSITIVE!
tom germann | FaceBook | Author Webpage | Sci Fi Guy

Offline EvilTwinBrian

• Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • EvilTwinBrian.com
Just submitted my entries! Two stories, both reworked and honed to exactly 1000 words each (not counting title/genre).
  Brian Manning |  WebsiteMailing ListTwitter | Facebook

Offline tommy gun

• Canada
    • View Profile
    • The Sci Fi side (WIP)
Okay.  It took forever (I hd to figure out the drop box!)

but the submission is in.  Unfortunately just under 1,500 words.  I just couldn't do it at 1,000.
Transference Zombie bk 1: 91%

Corporate Marines bk 4: 19%

Transference Zombie bk 2: 33%
No matter what.  STAY POSITIVE!
tom germann | FaceBook | Author Webpage | Sci Fi Guy

Offline George Donnelly

• The Andes
    • View Profile
    • Author George Donnelly
Thanks guys! I'm looking forward to reading your stories.

We've got 22 submissions now, and several of those include 2 or 3 stories each.

We've got about 3 weeks to go. Thanks everyone for your participation and support!

Offline Sapphire

• Omaha NE
    • View Profile
I'd really like to be a part of this anthology, just as I was the first. I have two flash fiction stories ready to go. However, I don't do Drop Box and I don't have a mailing list sign-up on my website. You've waived rules for word count. Why not waive your new rules for these two issues? As it is, I'm not going to be able to participate.

Offline she-la-ti-da

• in the bunker
    • View Profile
I'd like to hear some ideas for the cover. Should we do something similar in theme to what the first one was like, or go in a totally different direction? What image/images do you guys see when you think about the anthology? I can search for images, but it would be nice to have some ideas to start with, at least.

As George requested for titles, try to keep all your ideas to one post, if possible. You don't have to link to images, but you can if you have something particular in mind. So long as it doesn't cost me a fortune to get whatever image we use, I can pick up the cost if necessary.

Also, I don't know if there will be any need for banners or the like, but if so, I'll need someone to give me sizes and other details, as I don't do those for myself (yet).

Offline jdcore

• Toronto, Ohio
    • View Profile
    • The Lupa Schwartz Mysteries Blog
I'd really like to be a part of this anthology, just as I was the first. I have two flash fiction stories ready to go. However, I don't do Drop Box and I don't have a mailing list sign-up on my website. You've waived rules for word count. Why not waive your new rules for these two issues? As it is, I'm not going to be able to participate.
I agree, and I have a mailing list. I just don't understand why it's a deal breaker. In fact, I'd have preferred that we stick to word count personally, but I'm just glad we have somebody who's being hands on.

Offline she-la-ti-da

• in the bunker
    • View Profile
Okay, here's a quickie, very rough idea I had. Image is from Can Stock (where I have an account and some credits). I've done no filters or anything, just took the comp image and played around with some text. Tell me what you think.

Offline George Donnelly

• The Andes
    • View Profile
    • Author George Donnelly

Hi, I would very much like for you to participate. You're not required to have a (free) Dropbox account. You can use Google Docs (also free) or any webserver, including your website most likely.

I have to remain firm on the mailing list requirement because the ability and willingness on the part of we participating authors to market the final product is what will give this work a chance to bear fruit for us. I think I've commented on that fairly extensively before but if you have a more specific question or need assistance, let me know.

If it's just that you don't have a signup form on your site, then please just link to the signup from a specific page on your website. Another author is doing this and I find it to be totally fine.

BTW I have not waived the story length rule, at least not yet. I have simply encouraged an author to send me her longer work so I can consider it for inclusion in the anthology.

I agree, and I have a mailing list. I just don't understand why it's a deal breaker.

The author mailing list is the #1 tool for effective marketing of an author's work. It's cheap, targeted and very effective (something I posted about before with a citation).

IMHO and based on 3.5 years of indie-authoring, marketing is what makes or breaks a work. Although we're not seeking to make money directly on this anthology, we definitely want it to be read. And we need marketing for that. And the best marketing, after quality stories, cover, blurb, etc., is the mailing list.

In the past, I have worked on anthologies and group sales. Some authors work harder than others. Some authors coast along and don't do their fair share. It makes me feel icky, like I'm being used. Hence, I decided I want to work primarily with authors who are able and willing to market. I'm not talking about big Facebook ad spends. I'm talking about the free stuff like mailing lists, social media and blogging.

I made this decision because I want to succeed and I want to help other committed authors succeed. I feel this is entirely reasonable if not just common sense and I'm sticking by it.

I hope that answers your question.

Offline George Donnelly

• The Andes
    • View Profile
    • Author George Donnelly
Okay, here's a quickie, very rough idea I had. Image is from Can Stock (where I have an account and some credits). I've done no filters or anything, just took the comp image and played around with some text. Tell me what you think.

I like it! Maybe a filter over top of the image. Maybe a listing of the last names of the authors. I'll brainstorm title ideas and post my ideas next week. Thanks for this!

Offline jdcore

• Toronto, Ohio
    • View Profile
    • The Lupa Schwartz Mysteries Blog
I don't disagree that mailing lists are the best marketing, and I don't disagree that having as many authors with mailing lists as possible will benefit the project. It's just that having as many stories as possible will ALSO benefit the project, and there are other ways to market besides mailing lists which having more and other writers on board could help with. Blogs, twitter, Facebook, interviews, WoM, also-boughts, etc ... none of which rely on a mailing list and all of which are proven marketing tools.

Okay, end of rant. Just a thought. As I said, I'm fine with the project rules as thy are.

Offline George Donnelly

• The Andes
    • View Profile
    • Author George Donnelly
It's just that having as many stories as possible will ALSO benefit the project,

I agree. But every participating author has to do their part. I've stepped up to lead it so I expect those I am working with to do a minimum share of work as well. It's not too much to ask.

and there are other ways to market besides mailing lists which having more and other writers on board could help with. Blogs, twitter, Facebook, interviews, WoM, also-boughts, etc ... none of which rely on a mailing list and all of which are proven marketing tools.

Most of that is ineffective. Asking for a mailing list to be present is a very small token piece of evidence that the author is willing to do all of that and more.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I can not change this requirement. It's too central to the goal of the project.

Offline Herc- The Reluctant Geek

• Australia
    • View Profile
    • The Reluctant Geek
The first anthology was an exercise in community, which is why it was so well endowed with contributors despite the one story restriction and strictly observed 1000w limit. As well as supplying stories, many people volunteered their time to help others get their stories as good as they could be, and to make a great cover and write a catchy blurb.

This, the second project, lacks that feeling of community and therefore will not attract as many contributors. Why? Because many indie authors write for the love of the craft and don't bother with mailing lists and marketing strategies. They write good stories because they can, and any money they make in the process is a bonus. They are the folk this project is losing. A little flexibility might attract them back in but, then again, you may want to take this away from being a community project to being a marketing tool.