Author Topic: Promote Your Work with the Indie Anthology 2016 - PUBLISHED!  (Read 18916 times)  

Offline George Donnelly

• The Andes
  • Failure is the key to success.
    • View Profile
    • Author George Donnelly
you may want to take this away from being a community project to being a marketing tool.

This is both.

But if someone else wants to do the kind of project you describe, I invite them to do so and would likely even contribute a story. There is plenty of room in the marketplace for more indie anthologies. Please, one of you, step up and take the lead on the project you describe.
Professional editing more reliable than Bukowski's liquor bill:
 Get a free 10,000 word trial edit now (secret babies optional)
George Donnelly | GeorgeDonnelly.com | Twitter | Facebook | Amazon | Goodreads

Offline Herc- The Reluctant Geek

• Australia
    • View Profile
    • The Reluctant Geek
Please, one of you, step up and take the lead on the project you describe.

Personally, I don't have the time or the skills for such a project. Nor do I think it's a bad thing to point out the biggest impediment to contributors. Many of us here aren't professional writers and so haven't got time/know-how/inclination to do anything other than write stories and bang them up on Amazon for whoever wants them. Not saying that there aren't professionals here, it's just that they are heavily outnumbered by the talented amateurs. If you want more contributors, relax the email list requirement because many of the amateurs don't have such a list and feel that the project has moved away from them.

Edit: It's late here in Oz and I spell badly after dark...
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 06:23:31 AM by Herc- The Reluctant Geek »

Offline Hurricane John

• Orlando, Florida
    • View Profile
I can't see getting to picky about the word count at this point in time. I mean if we had a hundred submissions and limited space, then okay, but we're talking about 22 submissions, maybe twenty-five by the time the due date expires. I don't see the point in eliminating stories that may have gone a bit above the word count.

I think the quality of the story is more important than the word count. That's just my opinion, ultimately, it will be George's decision.

Stories of Mystery, Suspense and more
John D. Ottini | Amazon Author Page | Facebook | Blog

Offline tommy gun

• Canada
    • View Profile
    • The Sci Fi side (WIP)
I would think that it only takes you an hour to create a mailchimp account and mailing list.  It could be done right now.  That mailing list may only have your email on it....
BUT it would exist.
Everyone seems to agree that a mailing list is a better tool than most of the other tools out there.  I agree.  Some of those people bought my work. 

So if you do NOT want to be involved with a mailing list but want in then create your own project.  I'll submit if I can meet the requirements.  If I can't then I won't and I won't post about it.  I'll just keep looking.

We can all make a difference.  it just isn't always easy.
Transference Zombie bk 1: 91%

Corporate Marines bk 4: 19%

Transference Zombie bk 2: 33%
No matter what.  STAY POSITIVE!
tom germann | FaceBook | Author Webpage | Sci Fi Guy

Offline George Donnelly

• The Andes
    • View Profile
    • Author George Donnelly
If you want more contributors, relax the email list requirement because many of the amateurs don't have such a list and feel that the project has moved away from them.

I do appreciate you sharing your thoughts with me, thank you very much.

Again, I will not waive the mailing list requirement.

And, please, stop asking. No disrespect intended.

Even if you consider yourself an amateur author or dislike marketing, you must still want to be read. Otherwise, you would write in secret and never share it with an audience. We would never hear of you. If you want to be read, people need a way to find out about your new works once they discovered you through, for example, an anthology. A mailing list is the most effective way to do this. Do you expect your readers to come and check your website or your twitter feed just to find out if you published something new? That's rude. Offer them the chance to be notified. That's what a mailing list is for.

You might be too busy but if some other non-marketing author is not, I remain interested in contributing a story to this project you described. Please, there are several of you in this thread. Step up and lead a project that follows your vision. We will all be better off for it. Just do it.

I know that a small number of stories disappoints some authors. I frankly don't care. I will produce the anthology no matter what because people asked me to do it, because I promised to do it and precisely because the previous effort stalled due to worries over the number of stories.

A 30-story anthology that is published and being marketed to a small audience is infinitely more valuable than a 101-story anthology that never happens. If the anthology gains enough traction, perhaps we will do another one. And maybe that one will have 60 stories. And perhaps by then those of you with brand-new mailing lists will have a dozen or a hundred subscribers. And that second anthology will reach an audience 2-4x larger than this one will. Et cetera. I'm in this to build something.

I appreciate very much the authors who are continuing with this project. Thanks. It's both an honor and a pleasure to work with you.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 08:10:25 AM by GeorgeDonnelly »

Offline Michael Barbato-Dunn

• View Profile
    • Author Website
I appreciate very much the authors who are continuing with this project. Thanks. It's both an honor and a pleasure to work with you.

It's a pleasure to work with you on this, and I greatly appreciate your efforts.  And I'm sorry to see you forced to repeatedly defend the entirely reasonable approach you laid out in the first post. 

Offline Crenel

• View Profile
Somehow I managed to not post in this thread previously and sort of lost track of this project. That is unfortunate, as a fair amount of time has slipped by. I will encourage some other writers to participate, although now they won't have as much time to write and edit an entry.

Also, I know a number of photographers who might be willing to take on (for free) the challenge of creating an image specifically for this project, in case images from other sources are not quite right. To do that effectively in the time remaining, I would need to post specifics very soon and provide them with a reasonable deadline. Let me know if you want me to explore this option.
You can find books by me (Stuart Whitmore) on my author web site.

Notepad++ is awesome!

Offline Evenstar

• UK
    • View Profile
I'm sorry George, but I am finding the direction/requirments of this totally confusing. I have a mailing list with mailchimp, I have a direct link to it at the back of my story and a direct link to it on my website. I'm not changing that or mucking about with my website as I don't remotely understand the need to do so. If I can participate as it stands then I will, and I'll be happy to send the details to everyone on my list and to tweet and facebook about it etc.  BUT if you require dropbox or google forms or other extra effort beyond my usual marketing or my usual mailing list links then please count me out.  I simply do not understand the point. 

Please don't feel the need to explain it again, I've already read the thread thoroughly and still don't see the purpose.  Just let me know if I can continue as it was or if you require me to change my sign up - and if you do then please withdraw my submission from the project.

Offline she-la-ti-da

• in the bunker
    • View Profile
Stella, your email sign up is fine. What the Box, Dropbox and Google stuff is for is to submit the story, rather than sending it to George via email, like we did before. I think it's just easier for him to follow the link wherever we've set it up and get the story files.

Somehow I managed to not post in this thread previously and sort of lost track of this project. That is unfortunate, as a fair amount of time has slipped by. I will encourage some other writers to participate, although now they won't have as much time to write and edit an entry.

Also, I know a number of photographers who might be willing to take on (for free) the challenge of creating an image specifically for this project, in case images from other sources are not quite right. To do that effectively in the time remaining, I would need to post specifics very soon and provide them with a reasonable deadline. Let me know if you want me to explore this option.

I've submitted a rough draft of a cover a couple of pages back. I got an image from my stock photo account, did some preliminary typography. I'd like feed back from the rest of you guys, otherwise I'll put a filter or two on it, maybe a bar behind the title, something, figure out the tag line, and if George okays it, that's what we'll go with.

Here's the image again:

Queen of Procrasti Nation

Genres: speculative fiction under main pen name.

Offline she-la-ti-da

• in the bunker
    • View Profile
I've seen some feedback on the title suggestions, so I went with one of the two I submitted. It could be changed, pending some feedback and some agreement. Or I'll go with whatever George and I like. I don't want it to come to that, because this is a group project, so tell us what you all think.

One other thing, I could see easing up on the word count limit a little more, but not go too far. It is flash fiction, so it's gotta be short.
Queen of Procrasti Nation

Genres: speculative fiction under main pen name.

Offline George Donnelly

• The Andes
    • View Profile
    • Author George Donnelly

Thanks for your kind offer, Stuart. I think we're on the right path for this cover but perhaps we could work together on a future project.

Offline George Donnelly

• The Andes
    • View Profile
    • Author George Donnelly
Stella, your email sign up is fine. What the Box, Dropbox and Google stuff is for is to submit the story, rather than sending it to George via email, like we did before. I think it's just easier for him to follow the link wherever we've set it up and get the story files.

Exactly, yes, thanks.

I've submitted a rough draft of a cover a couple of pages back. I got an image from my stock photo account, did some preliminary typography. I'd like feed back from the rest of you guys, otherwise I'll put a filter or two on it, maybe a bar behind the title, something, figure out the tag line, and if George okays it, that's what we'll go with.

Apologies, I haven't set aside time to work on this yet as I'm deep into my WIP (and behind schedule). I will do that soon.

Offline Crenel

• View Profile

Ah, sorry, I should have commented on your cover design too, it was late and I wasn't thinking clearly. My thought was just about using a different image source (one that wouldn't cost anything) if a different title was chosen. I do like the Tidbits title, though, the commute tie-in says a lot. My general suggestions for your cover design would be to ensure the title text stands out from the background (right now, before modifying the image, it blends a bit on the left) and to make the subtitle larger and thus more visible at smaller image sizes, even if it extends wider than "TIDBITS."

Notepad++ is awesome!

Offline Evenstar

• UK
    • View Profile
Okay, cool. But you already have my story (forwarded by Andrew) right?

Offline George Donnelly

• The Andes
    • View Profile
    • Author George Donnelly
Okay, cool. But you already have my story (forwarded by Andrew) right?

Hi, I can't publish stories unless the author grants me explicit permission. Please see the first post in this thread for the submission procedure. Thanks.

Offline Crenel

• View Profile
Got some visibility for this project on Ello via the @ellowrites community, so hopefully that will lead to another submission or two.

Notepad++ is awesome!

Offline Raquel Lyon

• England
  • Getting there slowly, one word at a time.
    • View Profile
    • Raquel Lyon
As more cover ideas were requested, and I think there should definitely be more than one option to choose from, I whipped these up really quickly.

Disclaimer: I'm not a cover designer, and these are rough. I just wanted to give my thoughts on possible directions the cover could go. (Although, I do really like the train one and would be willing to purchase the photo and make it better if others liked it too.)

Raquel Lyon | author website | facebook | twitter | goodreads | google+

Offline George Donnelly

• The Andes
    • View Profile
    • Author George Donnelly
As more cover ideas were requested, and I think there should definitely be more than one option to choose from, I whipped these up really quickly.

Thank you! The train one is very attractive! What do you think, she-la-ti-da?

And thanks, Stuart, for your help!

Offline George Donnelly

• The Andes
    • View Profile
    • Author George Donnelly
Hi guys, I brainstormed some title ideas. Please let me know your thoughts.

I think step 1 is branding. We can't brand it as any one particular genre (because we'll likely include stories from multiple non-similar genres) so we can brand it as:

- indie
- related to where you read it; i.e., on the train
- related to the story format/length; i.e., flash fiction.

The Titles

Each title is a pair of title and subtitle. These are rough concepts, so please feel free to grab an idea and evolve it.

(a) I Have No Legroom and I Must Read
Flash fiction for your commute

(b) Dark with a Chance of Stormy
30 extra-short stories to read on a rainy day

(c) Unstoppable Stories
Discover your new favorite author with these short stories

(d) Bite-Sized Stories
30 extra-short stories for your commute

(e) 30 Splendid Stories
A multi-genre flash fiction anthology

(f) To the Kindles!

(g) Read Me on the Train
Flash fiction for your commute

(h) Flash Forward
Bite-sized stories to read in a rush

(i) Bonfire of the Indies
30 stories so short you'll burn through them

(j) For Whom the Kindle Turns
30 dramatically short tales by indie authors

(k) Brave New Authors
30 bold tales by emerging authors

(l) Do Commuters Dream of Mobile Stories?
Dream wide awake with 30 extra short stories

(m) The Flash and the Fiction
30 extra-short stories for your commute

(n) Awesome Stories for your Kindle

I don't need my name on the cover as editor. Let's replace it with a list of the authors OR let's do the list of authors, perhaps in columns at the bottom and then George Donnelly, Editor (or whatever) in the same size font below the author names.

Once we select a branding approach, we can then settle on a title and then I think it would be wise to look at the stock photo sites.

Let me know what you think, please! :)

Offline EvilTwinBrian

• Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • EvilTwinBrian.com
I like Flash Forward (h).
  Brian Manning |  WebsiteMailing ListTwitter | Facebook

Offline tommy gun

• Canada
    • View Profile
    • The Sci Fi side (WIP)
I like D.  H is not bad either.
Transference Zombie bk 1: 91%

Corporate Marines bk 4: 19%

Transference Zombie bk 2: 33%
No matter what.  STAY POSITIVE!
tom germann | FaceBook | Author Webpage | Sci Fi Guy

Offline J.T. Williams

• Texas
    • View Profile
    • Author J.T. Williams
I like D or maybe N.

Drinker of coffee, dabbler in necromancy...
J.T. Williams | My Blog | Twitter | Mailing List | Goodreads | Facebook

Offline Crenel

• View Profile
- indie
- related to where you read it; i.e., on the train
- related to the story format/length; i.e., flash fiction.

Some thoughts on branding...

First, I favor focusing on the format/length as long as it's done in a catchy way. The "where you read" angle could be that catchy way.

"Indie" has been a double-edged sword for a long time but it's become dull with overuse and doesn't cut either way, pro or con, like it used to. In the 80s or 90s an indie band, artist, etc. was seen as standing out from the crowd. Now that immediate and direct-to-consumer distribution of content (YouTube, SoundCloud, Wattpad...) is considered the norm, indie is the crowd. Trying to brand around that now strikes me as being like branding around us being writers, with a little negative spin for those who "don't read indie."

(Also, this comic seems apt. :D)

Focusing on where you read can work (see above) but the downside is that the various places where short works can work well (commute, stationary bike at the gym, bathroom, etc.) can also reasonably be used for longer works. Thick paperbacks are not a rare sight on a bus or train, or at least they weren't the last time I was commuting regularly. So, basically, I see this as a subset of focusing on the length/format, but not one that we should feel restricted to, i.e., excluding other catchy ways of communicating the flash fiction format.

For the actual title, in addition to the the Tidbits/commute one, I like H (Flash Forward) and I (Bonfire...). With the latter I could see an image of an e-reader with flames starting inside the display but escaping past the bezel at the top. I think we should avoid titles that use Kindle for trademark reasons (but I'm not a lawyer, so maybe that's not a concern).

Notepad++ is awesome!

Offline Hurricane John

• Orlando, Florida
    • View Profile

Disclaimer: I'm not a cover designer, and these are rough. I just wanted to give my thoughts on possible directions the cover could go. (Although, I do really like the train one and would be willing to purchase the photo and make it better if others liked it too.)

I really like both of these, but I think the cover with the train is my eye catching favorite. 

Stories of Mystery, Suspense and more
John D. Ottini | Amazon Author Page | Facebook | Blog

Offline Melanie Tomlin

• Australia
    • View Profile
D or H ... it's hard to make a decision when you're so spoilt for choice  :)