Author Topic: Promote Your Work with the Indie Anthology 2016 - PUBLISHED!  (Read 19501 times)  

Offline Hurricane John

• Orlando, Florida
    • View Profile
Just wondering, has the title of the upcoming anthology been decided? Are we going with 'Stories to Go 2"?

Stories of Mystery, Suspense and more
John D. Ottini | Amazon Author Page | Facebook | Blog

Offline George Donnelly

• The Andes
  • Failure is the key to success.
    • View Profile
    • Author George Donnelly
Just wondering, has the title of the upcoming anthology been decided? Are we going with 'Stories to Go 2"?

It's still up for consideration and I'd love to hear your ideas. The thing about "Stories on the Go #2" is that the previous editor owns that, intellectual-property-wise.
Professional editing more reliable than Bukowski's liquor bill:
 Get a free 10,000 word trial edit now (secret babies optional)
George Donnelly | GeorgeDonnelly.com | Twitter | Facebook | Amazon | Goodreads

Offline jdcore

• Toronto, Ohio
    • View Profile
    • The Lupa Schwartz Mysteries Blog
How about Stories on the Go 2.0?

Ha! I kill me.

Offline Hurricane John

• Orlando, Florida
    • View Profile
It's still up for consideration and I'd love to hear your ideas. The thing about "Stories on the Go #2" is that the previous editor owns that, intellectual-property-wise.

What about this for a title?

'I, Story: A Collection of Tall Tales and Short Stories'

Offline ChristineJVann

• View Profile
    • Christine Jayne
Yes, please. Please see the first post in this thread for details. Looking forward to your story! :)

Great, have done!

If I can manage any others before the deadline, I'll submit again. Would like to do more than one genre if I get a chance!

Offline Raquel Lyon

• England
  • Getting there slowly, one word at a time.
    • View Profile
    • Raquel Lyon
I think I've finally managed to figure out how to submit and have done so. Thanks, George.  :D

Raquel Lyon | author website | facebook | twitter | goodreads | google+

Offline amdonehere

• View Profile
Hi George, I'm interested in submitting and am currently writing it. But my fic is now closer to 3000 words. Is the 1000 words limit a strict limit?

Offline George Donnelly

• The Andes
    • View Profile
    • Author George Donnelly
Hi George, I'm interested in submitting and am currently writing it. But my fic is now closer to 3000 words. Is the 1000 words limit a strict limit?

Hi Alexa, not super strict but definitely encouraged. Thanks and looking forward to reading your story. :)

Offline Sapphire

• Omaha NE
    • View Profile
Hi Alexa, not super strict but definitely encouraged. Thanks and looking forward to reading your story. :)
I'm not one of the volunteers working on this project, and I am so happy someone has taken the helm. However, I do have an opinion as a participant. To me, not being super strict on the 1000 word limit means no one will be upset if a story is ten or forty words over. However, 3000 is triple the length the rest of us are adhering to. Please understand, I DO NOT want to create an argument, but what would you say if I wanted to submit a 6000 word story of mine? Yet, the requirement for having a mailing list for those of us who use other forms of social media is being strictly enforced. Which is more important to the integrity of the anthology: consistent length of flash fiction pieces or marketing methods of participants?

Offline George Donnelly

• The Andes
    • View Profile
    • Author George Donnelly
Which is more important to the integrity of the anthology: consistent length of flash fiction pieces or marketing methods of participants?

Thanks for your question. The ability and willingness to market is more important.

Offline Hurricane John

• Orlando, Florida
    • View Profile
It's interesting that only 17 of the original 43 authors who submitted stories to Andrew, have resubmitted stories to George.
One month left to the deadline date, hopefully there well be more stories submitted.

Offline Zelah Meyer

• England
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Thanks for your question. The ability and willingness to market is more important.

It's interesting that only 17 of the original 43 authors who submitted stories to Andrew, have resubmitted stories to George.
One month left to the deadline date, hopefully there well be more stories submitted.

I'm only one of those original authors - but, I'll give my perspective in case it helps figure out why people aren't resubmitting.  George said he didn't get my story forwarded to him and, having heard that the focus of this one is more on marketing, I'm not interested in resubmitting.  As, personally, it no longer sounds like the kind of project I'm interested in.  I joined the original anthology more to do something fun with other board members, and things have moved on from that.  I imagine the hard sell will do well - it's just not my kind of thing.  I barely tweet once when I release something!  But, I wish everyone taking part all the best with this one.  Good luck!  :)

Offline she-la-ti-da

• in the bunker
    • View Profile
I've got my stories ready, but I'm having trouble with the needing to have a email list sign up on my site. If I'm understanding the requirements, I can't use Mail Chimp, but need a static page/widget to collect the emails myself? Honestly, that doesn't make sense. Quite a few of us use MC, and I know I don't want to deal with signing people up.
Queen of Procrasti Nation

Genres: speculative fiction under main pen name.

Offline she-la-ti-da

• in the bunker
    • View Profile
As a separate matter, I had a couple of ideas for a title:

A Flash in the Pocket:  A Very Short Fiction Anthology

Tidbits:  Commuter Fiction
Queen of Procrasti Nation

Genres: speculative fiction under main pen name.

Offline George Donnelly

• The Andes
    • View Profile
    • Author George Donnelly
I've got my stories ready, but I'm having trouble with the needing to have a email list sign up on my site. If I'm understanding the requirements, I can't use Mail Chimp, but need a static page/widget to collect the emails myself? Honestly, that doesn't make sense. Quite a few of us use MC, and I know I don't want to deal with signing people up.

You can get a signup form from Mailchimp - it's a copy and paste kind of thing - and put it into a webpage on your site. It's pretty straightforward.

Offline Sapphire

• Omaha NE
    • View Profile
We all did a pretty good job marketing the first book with everyone using their own methods. The book quickly climbed to the top of charts and, after more than a year and a half, hovers between 4,000-5,000 in free ranking and is currently #13 in free anthologies.

Offline geronl

• Mirrors are scary to me, lol
    • View Profile
    • Floyd Looney's Sci-Fi

I have no newsletter and that is a new requirement.

Floyd Looney

Offline Melanie Tomlin

• Australia
    • View Profile
Darn! I had two short stories to choose from for submitting. One was around 2000 words and the other under 1000 words. As the limit was "ideally 1,000 words or less. You can go up to 1,500 if you really need it" I opted for the shorter one, as 2000 words (give or take) is well above 1500 words.  :(

Offline tommy gun

• Canada
    • View Profile
    • The Sci Fi side (WIP)
Hi George.  I have a military SF series and have some short draft ideas.  Off shoots off the main story.
I can put together a thousand words and have it proofed and edited.  Likely by the end of July unless there are catastrophic failures in my life.
:)

thank you for doing this!
and yes I have no problem pushing out to my mailing list and any other promotions that are necessary/work.
Transference Zombie bk 1: 91%

Corporate Marines bk 4: 19%

Transference Zombie bk 2: 33%
No matter what.  STAY POSITIVE!
tom germann | FaceBook | Author Webpage | Sci Fi Guy

Offline George Donnelly

• The Andes
    • View Profile
    • Author George Donnelly
Hi George.  I have a military SF series and have some short draft ideas.  Off shoots off the main story.
I can put together a thousand words and have it proofed and edited.  Likely by the end of July

Awesome, Tom, thanks. I look forward to reading it.

Offline George Donnelly

• The Andes
    • View Profile
    • Author George Donnelly
I think I missed that specific bit in the rules. My page is on wp.com not .org. No way to host the signup form outside of MC. So unless I misunderstood, that disqualifies my story :-[

Hi, as mentioned above you can get a signup form (HTML code) from mailchimp and put it into a page in your wordpress site. Why would this not work on a wordpress.com wordpress site? Have you had a chance to try it?

And now I'm confused because there seems to be a sliding scale with which rules are enforced and which aren't.
Is it more effective (marketing-wise) to have over a dozen stories with random word count essays or four dozen 1k entries from authors with a combined wider reach?

I'd rather have the option of considering for publication a few extra words from an author who's willing to market the end product than dozens of awesome stories from authors who are unwilling to market. This is the conclusion I've come to after doing two anthologies, a publishing crowdfunder and a group sale.

I could have the best anthology in the world but if no one knows it exists, it won't get read and then I'll be wondering why I invested my time in it. OR I could put my all into fellow authors who are willing to also put in the work, gain some success and come back for a second anthology that will see even greater success in terms of readership and follow-on sales. And maybe it will become a community institution that helps people build careers for years to come. And maybe I'll feel really good about my participation in it.

I hope that clarifies it. Thanks. :)

Offline tommy gun

• Canada
    • View Profile
    • The Sci Fi side (WIP)
Ouch I use MC and have a wix site.  they recently dropped the cooperation part so I cant put MC forms on my site.
I will see if I can work around that.
Transference Zombie bk 1: 91%

Corporate Marines bk 4: 19%

Transference Zombie bk 2: 33%
No matter what.  STAY POSITIVE!
tom germann | FaceBook | Author Webpage | Sci Fi Guy

Offline George Donnelly

• The Andes
    • View Profile
    • Author George Donnelly
Ouch I use MC and have a wix site.  they recently dropped the cooperation part so I cant put MC forms on my site.
I will see if I can work around that.

If you can put HTML code into your page, you can still do it.

BTW the subscribe button you have there now is fine. Good enough.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 07:46:57 PM by GeorgeDonnelly »

Offline George Donnelly

• The Andes
    • View Profile
    • Author George Donnelly
Do you intend to publish even if there are only, say, 20 entries

I made a promise to publish on a schedule, so that's what I'm going to do.

Offline Hurricane John

• Orlando, Florida
    • View Profile
I made a promise to publish on a schedule, so that's what I'm going to do.

Thanks for keeping your word.