Author Topic: Request for Comment: An approach for interacting with newcomers to the forum  (Read 23771 times)  

Offline KBoards Admin

• Administrator
  • Bellingham WA
  • Love all, moderate all.
    • View Profile
    • KBoards
Hello all,

Many of our guests, and registered members, are newcomers to Kindle. Often newcomers will ask questions that have been asked many times before.

In many forums, these newcomers get welcomed with impatient replies, telling them to search for the answer, read the manual, or otherwise find an answer their question. This can discourage newcomers who are new to the whole forum experience, and who feel they got unjustly criticized after bothering to register with us and to post their query.

We want to be a welcoming place for newcomers.

We also value our more experienced members. We recognize, and want to minimize, the frustration that more experienced members may have of seeing the same questions pop up time after time.

Here's a suggested approach for dealing with this. We hope that this will have the effect of giving newcomers a friendly answer, while at the same "training" them on how to find similar answers on their own.

Please take a look, and let us know of any comments or feedback you may have. Thank you!

- Harvey

KINDLEBOARDS Proposed Code of Conduct for Interacting with Newcomers

A. We are putting a FAQ sticky post at the top of the "Kindle Tips & Tricks" board. (Leslie is well-qualified to do that as a co-author of the Kindle FAQ book...!)

That sticky post will list the most commonly-asked questions that we hear from people new to Kindle. The post will also have a link to the Kindle FAQ downloadable book. The post will also have instructions on how to search the forums effectively.

B. When a newcomer asks a question whose answer is well-documented, someone (either a moderator or any member) will:
       1 - Welcome the newcomer
       2 - Answer the question courteously
       3 - Point them to the sticky post (or to another post if applicable) that contains that answer
       4 - Do the above promptly, before other forum members jump in and tell them to go away and read the manual. :)

C. If the same newcomer continues to ask questions that are easily found in the forums, we will simply point them to the sticky post (or other post) that has the answer - rather than answering it directly in our replies.

(Updated to correct the board location of the FAQ. - Admin)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 12:07:58 PM by Harvey »
Flint and Flame: 15%

Authors: set up your own work-in-progress bar with our Author Sig tool.

LuckyRainbow

Sounds wonderful. Hope it works. This is such an unusual forum. Would love to see it stay as it is, but continue to grow in membership.

Offline Leslie

• Member 24!
  • Global Moderator
  • Maine, USA
  • Kindle Paperwhite for Dummies available now!
    • View Profile
    • Maine Desk
Thanks, Lucky. Harvey, I stickied this so folks will see it and chime in with their feedback.

Leslie

Leslie Nicoll

Offline Mike D. aka jmiked

• Central Texas
  • Reading ebooks since 1994!
    • View Profile
Harvey is no fun at all.  ;D ;D

But seriously, folk... great idea!
What you see depends mainly on what you are looking for.

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
I think it's a great idea.   The newcomer has no way of knowing that his or her question has been asked a gazillion times before and it is pretty disheartening to be shot down in flames, when in reality, he or she is probably posting in an excess of excitement over getting a new Kindle.  (I did computer user support for ages, and have answered many many dumb questions and solved many many dumb problems.  (Is it plugged in?  Uh, no....  or Is it turned on?  Uh, no....  'Nuff said.)  Great policy!!!! 

Good job, folks!  I love what I've seen in the short time I've been on this board--you're doing a good job adjusting to its rapid growth.
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline KBoards Admin

• Administrator
  • Bellingham WA
    • View Profile
    • KBoards

With great power comes great responsibility. I'm holding back my inner megalomaniac though.  :)

Offline Leslie

• Member 24!
  • Global Moderator
  • Maine, USA
    • View Profile
    • Maine Desk
As Harvey noted, I am going to be creating a post with the Top Twenty All Time Frequently Asked Questions (or maybe 25). I don't want to retype my book in the post but I do want to really address the top questions newcomers have in their minds. So...if you could think back to when you first got your Kindle, whether it was 20 minutes ago or 11 months, what were your most pressing questions? Post them here, I'll keep track and will use them for guidance.

NOTE: I am not going to answer the questions! I just want to get some consensus on the most important ones of all.

L

Leslie Nicoll

Offline Kat

• View Profile
Don't hold back, Harvey. You are our intrepid leader. We bow before you.

Gotta' say, I fully support the idea of making newbies feel welcome   ;)

Kat
"Some people say that I must be a terrible person, but it's not true. I have the heart of a young boy...in a jar on my desk."  -Stephen King

Offline Linda Cannon-Mott

• Assignment #118
    • View Profile
Great idea, we were all a newbie once. Great job with the forum Harvey & Leslie.

Linda

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
  • How could you not smile back at Bonnie?
    • View Profile
I just became a Jr. Member with my last post!  I bought and have been reading Leslie's FAQ book.  I'm still reading, but might have a question.  Some of what I've been reading on the boards though almost has me scared to ask.   ???

My bro beagle (1954-1966).  I still miss him big time.
His last collar hangs on my bedpost.

Offline Linda Cannon-Mott

• Assignment #118
    • View Profile
Congrats on being a junior member! I still have to ask questions after 6 weeks of having my Kindle. Don't be scared, I think one of the goals of this great forum is to keep it friendly. Liked the pic of the bookstore and like your Kindle's name.

Linda

Offline Teninx

• View Profile
I advocate a merciless hazing period for all members who joined after me. Then I'll support a strict caste system where those with more stars and more seniority can malign and impugn all those of lower rank. And of course I would expect to be provided a mechanism to bribe the moderators in order to gain special, favorable treatment.

Offline RovingSoul

• Richland, WA
  • The names Kat. Kitty Kat. Not really. Just Kat.
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Profile

With great power comes great responsibility. I'm holding back my inner megalomaniac though.  :)

Holding back your inner megalomaniac is all very well and good, but... Do you have spidey sense? Or deliver pizzas? Cause that would be just as welcome..
A prayer for the wild at heart, kept in cages.

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
  • How could you not smile back at Bonnie?
    • View Profile
I finished Leslie's FAQ book, so now I'm back to reading the User's Guide.  Got my question answered (at least partially) there.   :)  So I'll keep reading that.

My bro beagle (1954-1966).  I still miss him big time.
His last collar hangs on my bedpost.

Offline Wicked

• Wrightwood, California
    • View Profile
    • Scootin' For A Cure
First post here. Thank you for setting posting guidelines. On the other forums that I frequent the admin/mods do an outstanding job of keeping the conversation and content civil for all. Makes for a much nicer reading and learning environment. I'm looking forward to making a contribution!

Offline sjc

• (Member 153)
    • View Profile
I've tampered my steam:  I've been behaving.  My last few replies on the forum have been very courteous.  I was, I admit, one of the hot heads who answered less than politely:  Only for a few days after Oprah.  But I'm calm now and on my best behavior. I humbly apologize to those whom I have offended.

Enjoy your Kindle...it's the one thing we all have in common; we love our Kindles.
Fight the Battle-Win the War

Offline KBoards Admin

• Administrator
  • Bellingham WA
    • View Profile
    • KBoards
Holding back your inner megalomaniac is all very well and good, but... Do you have spidey sense? Or deliver pizzas? Cause that would be just as welcome..

Unfortunately, I have much more in common with Peter Parker than I do with Spiderman. *sigh*

Offline Leslie

• Member 24!
  • Global Moderator
  • Maine, USA
    • View Profile
    • Maine Desk
First post here. Thank you for setting posting guidelines. On the other forums that I frequent the admin/mods do an outstanding job of keeping the conversation and content civil for all. Makes for a much nicer reading and learning environment. I'm looking forward to making a contribution!

Welcome, Wicked! Glad to have you here. Go introduce yourself over on the Introductions & Welcome forum.

L

Leslie Nicoll

Offline Avalon

• California
  • Member #116
    • View Profile
    • My 2009 Bookshelf
Thanks for this direction, Harvey.  I can always tell a well-managed board by the way newbs are treated.  Perhaps not surprisingly, the boards that show integrity in dealing with newcomers are also the ones with eventual longevity.  Nastiness tends to burn itself out.

Thanks for making this board a class act.  Great to be here :)
Kindle Kids:
K2 "Aurora" arrived 24 Feb 2009
K1 "Shakespeare" arrived 25 April 2008

We can only be said to be alive in those moments when our hearts are conscious of our treasures.  ~ Thornton Wilder

Offline cush

• San Diego
  • Ken Kindle's Guardian Dragon Screensaver
    • View Profile
I advocate a merciless hazing period for all members who joined after me. Then I'll support a strict caste system where those with more stars and more seniority can malign and impugn all those of lower rank. And of course I would expect to be provided a mechanism to bribe the moderators in order to gain special, favorable treatment.

Teninx- I share your admiration for Faraday. May he be your shield when you are having a R(u)F time!
*cush*  

My life is an open book...errr...Kindle.

Offline pshrynk

• View Profile

Unfortunately, I have much more in common with Peter Parker than I do with Spiderman. *sigh*
Yeah, I'm one of those guys who, if he stepped into a nearby phone booth, would emerge looking like Clark Kent. ;D
MR Refugee

Offline mom133d (aka Liz)

• Charlottesville, VA
  • Tea & Cake or death?
    • View Profile
I also wanted to chime and say what a joy this forum is. I've never been to a friendlier place! I understand your headaches, I have been a moderator for a popular tweeners game and a member of more forums than I can count. I just have to limit my time here while at work so it doesn't get blocked! :)
"There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates' loot on Treasure island and at the bottom of the Spanish Main...and best of all, you can enjoy these riches every day of your life." - Walt Disney

(Make your own reading bar)

Offline KBoards Admin

• Administrator
  • Bellingham WA
    • View Profile
    • KBoards
Thank you! I have to agree, our members make this an enjoyable destination for me every day.

Offline vickir

• View Profile
This is the best board I've ever been on!

Offline drenee

• West Virginia
  • Member 527
    • View Profile
I agree, vickir.  KB is just wonderful. 
deb
Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life.

WwF  DRA60
Miss you, Dona, Jeff and Harvey.

Offline sjc

• (Member 153)
    • View Profile
Fight the Battle-Win the War

Offline WorldPax

• Tulsa, OK
  • Self contained since birth and almost lifelike.
    • View Profile
    • Pax Rolfe

I'm with Tenix! Joining or participating on a board, especially one as illustrious as this, should be a trial by fire. Only the strong should survive. And let that be my first post :)

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
I'm with Tenix! Joining or participating on a board, especially one as illustrious as this, should be a trial by fire. Only the strong should survive. And let that be my first post :)

I await your bribes....
 ;D

Betsy

Offline intinst

• Shannon Hills, AR
  • 'just enough clouds to create a beautiful sunset
    • View Profile
I'm good with the part about those with the most stars...
A great many people now reading and writing would be better employed keeping rabbits.  Edith Sitwell 
Your work is to keep cranking the flywheel that turns the gears that spin the belt in the
engine of belief that keeps you and your desk in midair. Annie Dillard

Located just outside Little Rock, Arkansas

Offline BTackitt

• Texas, USA
    • View Profile

ROFLMAO you would be.
"If man has no tea in him, he is incapable of understanding truth and beauty." ~Japanese Proverb
Screensaver Images: http://s684.photobucket.com/home/B_Tackitt/index

• Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs

The color of the stars is also very important....
 ;D

Betsy

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Laugh Loud. Run Fast. Be Kind.
    • View Profile
 ;D

Betsy

yes. . . especially purple. . . . .

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline intinst

• Shannon Hills, AR
    • View Profile
 ;D

Betsy
yes. . . especially purple. . . . .
Purple is great, but I've always been partial to gold...
A great many people now reading and writing would be better employed keeping rabbits.  Edith Sitwell 
Your work is to keep cranking the flywheel that turns the gears that spin the belt in the

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Laugh Loud. Run Fast. Be Kind.
    • View Profile
You realize that, with my purple stars, I can delete that post, right?  ;D

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline Alondo

• England
    • View Profile
    • The Lodestone Series of Science Fiction Books
Re: Request for Comment: An approach for interacting with newcomers to the forum
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2011, 01:54:33 AM »
Harvey,

I have made numerous posts introducing myself and asking questions, but apart from one member I know personally and who I contacted directly, no-one at all has responded. I find the organisation of the site highly confusing, with a bewildering plethora of symbols, and what instructions I can find, use "in the know" terms that I don't understand.

For example, your post refers to something called a "sticky note" or "sticky post" or something. What on earth is that?

I am a college educated, grade-A student, so I don't normally think of myself as "thick" but after a week of trying and failing and not being able to connect with anyone, I'm beginning to wonder.

I wonder if I will get a reply to this? 
The Lodestone Series of Science Fiction

Offline Geoffrey

• Dallas, Texas
  • Live! Live! Live! Life is a Banquet!
    • View Profile
Re: Request for Comment: An approach for interacting with newcomers to the forum
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2011, 03:21:35 AM »
Harvey,

I have made numerous posts introducing myself and asking questions, but apart from one member I know personally and who I contacted directly, no-one at all has responded. I find the organisation of the site highly confusing, with a bewildering plethora of symbols, and what instructions I can find, use "in the know" terms that I don't understand.

For example, your post refers to something called a "sticky note" or "sticky post" or something. What on earth is that?

I'm sorry you're confused by the site. I looked through your previous posts so let me see if I can answer your initial questions ......

First, inside a folder you can start a new discussion topic by clicking on the 'New Topic' button found on the top right and bottom right of the list of active discussions - these are referred to as 'threads'.  This will take you to a screen that looks just like the 'Post Reply' screen you've already used but will create a new thread once posted.  I looked at the post you created in the Book Bazaar yesterday and it was done correctly - so hurray!   :)

Next, 'stickied' refers to the messages at the top of a list of threads that have been stuck in place so they remain on the top.  visually, they have a pin icon on them.  As an aside, the ones with a padlock icon are locked and may not be commented on.

You asked about signatures.  There is a fairly complete tutorial in the Writer's Cafe you can use when creating your auto-signature.  It will answer most of your questions about content, size restrictions, etc.  and yes, you may mention your website in the signature space. I also listed below a link to Harvey's 7 Essential Tips which is also in the Writer's cafe.

Creating Signatures - An updated tutorial including NEW SIGNATURE SIZE LIMITS

Authors: 7 essential KindleBoards tips

I hope that helps.  If you have other questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Geoffrey

Offline intinst

• Shannon Hills, AR
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2011, 09:28:40 PM »
Harvey,

I am a college educated, grade-A student, so I don't normally think of myself as "thick" but after a week of trying and failing and not being able to connect with anyone, I'm beginning to wonder.

I wonder if I will get a reply to this? 

Several people have responded to you in this thread:
Topic: Too difficult.

Don't give up, check the earlier post I made in that thread for several links to different areas here at KindleBoards.

Offline geoffthomas

• Derwood, Maryland
  • Member 2434
    • View Profile
Alondo,
Having followed the linked posts around the forum, I truly believe that there has been a concerted effort to provide you with help.
Has it been effective?
Are you finding your way around better now?

Miss you, Dona, Jeff & Harvey! | Member since 02/27/2009 | e-books by Lynn Abbey, CJ Cherryh, & Jane Fancher
TANSTAAFL (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch)

• Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
In case Alondo doesn't get back here to comment, I can attest that he's been fairly active in the Writers' Caf lately (over 200 posts in the WC)!  It seems he's settling in pretty well.  :D

Betsy
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 04:49:49 AM by Betsy the Quilter »

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac