Author Topic: Request for Comment: An approach for interacting with newcomers to the forum  (Read 23753 times)  

Offline sjc

• (Member 153)
    • View Profile
Fight the Battle-Win the War

Offline WorldPax

• Tulsa, OK
  • Self contained since birth and almost lifelike.
    • View Profile
    • Pax Rolfe
I advocate a merciless hazing period for all members who joined after me. Then I'll support a strict caste system where those with more stars and more seniority can malign and impugn all those of lower rank. And of course I would expect to be provided a mechanism to bribe the moderators in order to gain special, favorable treatment.

I'm with Tenix! Joining or participating on a board, especially one as illustrious as this, should be a trial by fire. Only the strong should survive. And let that be my first post :)

Online Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
I'm with Tenix! Joining or participating on a board, especially one as illustrious as this, should be a trial by fire. Only the strong should survive. And let that be my first post :)

I await your bribes....
 ;D

Betsy
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline intinst

• Shannon Hills, AR
  • 'just enough clouds to create a beautiful sunset
    • View Profile
I'm good with the part about those with the most stars...
A great many people now reading and writing would be better employed keeping rabbits.  Edith Sitwell 
Your work is to keep cranking the flywheel that turns the gears that spin the belt in the
engine of belief that keeps you and your desk in midair. Annie Dillard

Located just outside Little Rock, Arkansas

Offline BTackitt

• Texas, USA
    • View Profile

ROFLMAO you would be.
"If man has no tea in him, he is incapable of understanding truth and beauty." ~Japanese Proverb
Screensaver Images: http://s684.photobucket.com/home/B_Tackitt/index

Online Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs

The color of the stars is also very important....
 ;D

Betsy

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Laugh Loud. Run Fast. Be Kind.
    • View Profile
 ;D

Betsy

yes. . . especially purple. . . . .

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline intinst

• Shannon Hills, AR
    • View Profile
 ;D

Betsy
yes. . . especially purple. . . . .
Purple is great, but I've always been partial to gold...
A great many people now reading and writing would be better employed keeping rabbits.  Edith Sitwell 
Your work is to keep cranking the flywheel that turns the gears that spin the belt in the

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Laugh Loud. Run Fast. Be Kind.
    • View Profile
You realize that, with my purple stars, I can delete that post, right?  ;D

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline Alondo

• England
    • View Profile
    • The Lodestone Series of Science Fiction Books
Re: Request for Comment: An approach for interacting with newcomers to the forum
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2011, 01:54:33 AM »
Harvey,

I have made numerous posts introducing myself and asking questions, but apart from one member I know personally and who I contacted directly, no-one at all has responded. I find the organisation of the site highly confusing, with a bewildering plethora of symbols, and what instructions I can find, use "in the know" terms that I don't understand.

For example, your post refers to something called a "sticky note" or "sticky post" or something. What on earth is that?

I am a college educated, grade-A student, so I don't normally think of myself as "thick" but after a week of trying and failing and not being able to connect with anyone, I'm beginning to wonder.

I wonder if I will get a reply to this? 
The Lodestone Series of Science Fiction

Offline Geoffrey

• Dallas, Texas
  • Live! Live! Live! Life is a Banquet!
    • View Profile
Re: Request for Comment: An approach for interacting with newcomers to the forum
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2011, 03:21:35 AM »
Harvey,

I have made numerous posts introducing myself and asking questions, but apart from one member I know personally and who I contacted directly, no-one at all has responded. I find the organisation of the site highly confusing, with a bewildering plethora of symbols, and what instructions I can find, use "in the know" terms that I don't understand.

For example, your post refers to something called a "sticky note" or "sticky post" or something. What on earth is that?

I'm sorry you're confused by the site. I looked through your previous posts so let me see if I can answer your initial questions ......

First, inside a folder you can start a new discussion topic by clicking on the 'New Topic' button found on the top right and bottom right of the list of active discussions - these are referred to as 'threads'.  This will take you to a screen that looks just like the 'Post Reply' screen you've already used but will create a new thread once posted.  I looked at the post you created in the Book Bazaar yesterday and it was done correctly - so hurray!   :)

Next, 'stickied' refers to the messages at the top of a list of threads that have been stuck in place so they remain on the top.  visually, they have a pin icon on them.  As an aside, the ones with a padlock icon are locked and may not be commented on.

You asked about signatures.  There is a fairly complete tutorial in the Writer's Cafe you can use when creating your auto-signature.  It will answer most of your questions about content, size restrictions, etc.  and yes, you may mention your website in the signature space. I also listed below a link to Harvey's 7 Essential Tips which is also in the Writer's cafe.

Creating Signatures - An updated tutorial including NEW SIGNATURE SIZE LIMITS

Authors: 7 essential KindleBoards tips

I hope that helps.  If you have other questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Geoffrey

Offline intinst

• Shannon Hills, AR
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2011, 09:28:40 PM »
Harvey,

I am a college educated, grade-A student, so I don't normally think of myself as "thick" but after a week of trying and failing and not being able to connect with anyone, I'm beginning to wonder.

I wonder if I will get a reply to this? 

Several people have responded to you in this thread:
Topic: Too difficult.

Don't give up, check the earlier post I made in that thread for several links to different areas here at KindleBoards.

Offline geoffthomas

• Derwood, Maryland
  • Member 2434
    • View Profile
Alondo,
Having followed the linked posts around the forum, I truly believe that there has been a concerted effort to provide you with help.
Has it been effective?
Are you finding your way around better now?

Miss you, Dona, Jeff & Harvey! | Member since 02/27/2009 | e-books by Lynn Abbey, CJ Cherryh, & Jane Fancher
TANSTAAFL (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch)

Online Betsy the Quilter

• Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
In case Alondo doesn't get back here to comment, I can attest that he's been fairly active in the Writers' Caf lately (over 200 posts in the WC)!  It seems he's settling in pretty well.  :D

Betsy
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 04:49:49 AM by Betsy the Quilter »