Author Topic: Has steampunk run out of steam as a litarary genre?  (Read 2096 times)  

Offline ehhoward

• Cheshire (England)
    • View Profile
    • Shudalandia
Has steampunk run out of steam as a litarary genre?
« on: June 04, 2016, 04:32:56 AM »
This isnt a request to be flamed to death. I genuinely like the genre, have written a couple of short stories and have been mulling with a full-length for a time. So, I decided to catch up with the latest to see how things had changed.
There is obviously a thriving artistic and fan community, but I went searching the web for Best 10 Steampunk books of 2015/6 not a lot came back. The genre seems to have stuck at 2010. People still rave about the classics, but where is the new?

I read the Gail Carriger, Kady Cross, etc. But these are rather derivative and became repetitive. Only so much teenage angst I can take.

For me there has to be more than goggles and vague impossible machinery, it has to have some chance of working. So, somebody cobbling together a fully intelligent bug out of a tin can and a watch means the book goes across the room (metaphorically speaking, as I cant afford a new kindle on every tantrum!)

Comments / reading suggestions gratefully accepted.

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
Re: Has steampunk run out of steam as a litarary genre?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2016, 04:40:20 AM »
And here I just discovered it...

:D

This was my gateway drug into steampunk:

Chasing the Star Garden (Airship Racing Chronicles Book 1)

And one of the things I enjoyed about these is that these are adult characters!  With some history woven in.

Looking for more recommendations, myself.

Betsy
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline ehhoward

• Cheshire (England)
    • View Profile
    • Shudalandia
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2016, 09:01:10 AM »
Thanks Betsy, it's on your head and on my kindle. I'm really puzzled how such a promising genre can fade.

Offline Mark E. Cooper

• Essex, England
    • View Profile
    • Impulse Books UK
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2016, 09:05:59 AM »
It's my understanding the market has always been small for steampunk. I love reading it, but from Lindsay Buroker's various comments on the subject, I probably wouldn't dare market a book as steampunk. Not exclusively anyway. I would probably go for epic fantasy with steampunk elements.

Online NogDog

• Ankh-Morpork
  • My best friend Noggin -- R.I.P.
    • View Profile
    • eBookworm.us
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2016, 09:39:28 AM »
I'm a long-time SF reader and fantasy reader, but the small amount of steampunk I've read did not work for me. In my admittedly limited sampling, I think my personal knowledge of both science and history were too much at odds with what the authors proposed as their "fictional realities", and I simply couldn't do the willing suspension of disbelief thing -- even though I'll do so pretty easily for epic fantasy with wizards and dragons, or galaxy-spanning space operas.

(Make your own reading bar)
Music Ed. major working as a software developer -- go figure | Member since 04/30/2009 | My Blog | GoodReads page
"Well done....Consciousness to sarcasm in five seconds!" ~ Terry Pratchett in Night Watch

Offline telracs

• NYC
  • peace, love, justice.... and chocolate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2016, 09:42:32 AM »
steampunk to me has always seemed simply to be a sub-sub-genre of science fiction and alternate history with specific rules to make it steampunk.  because of those rules, i've found most steampunk stories to be too similar to go looking for more. 

Offline gerard_blalock

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2016, 11:06:47 AM »
There are still some good steampunk books coming out. There was Vermilion by Molly Tanzer last year, which I think is getting a sequel soon. The genre seems to be getting more and more Western-inflected entries, which I dig.

Offline MariaESchneider

• Austin, Texas
  • Urban Fantasy, Fantasy, Humorous Mysteries
    • View Profile
    • Bear Mountain Books
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2016, 01:06:38 PM »
I think both steampunk and urban fantasy are fading in popularity with readers.  That said, you might enjoy Frank Tuttle's All the Paths of Shadow (it's a series. I forget the names of the other two books).    IT gets more steampunkish as the series develops.  IMO, his urban fantasy is even better, but obviously mileage will vary!

Offline scifi365

• Medway, UK
    • View Profile
    • Science Fiction Book Deals
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2016, 01:16:01 PM »
The thing with Steampunk is that it's become a 'fashion' genre. People (certainly in London and Brighton, the two cities I've seen it most) dress up steampunk style. The whole goggles, flying helmet and brass accessories thing (and, of course, Victorian boned corsets for the ladies) is what people mean when they refer to steampunk.

The indie publishing sector simply reflects this. It's now a literary form where the tropes, the styles, the mechanics of the genre outweigh what was good about it in the first place. In other words, steampunk is eating itself.

There's not really anywhere for it to go in a fictional sense and so people who read the genre (myself included) get bored in the end. It's all a long way from 'The Difference Engine' and 'Infernal Devices', unfortunately.

Join The Free SciFi365 eBook Deals Newsletter
SciFi365.net -The Website | Or Find Us On Facebook | Follow Us On Twitter

Offline bendanarama

• Liverpool
  • Unashamedly pulp
    • View Profile
    • The Mind of Ben Myatt
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2016, 01:34:29 PM »
I bloody hope not, I'm planning a steampunk book at the moment!

Ben Myatt: Twitter Facebook Website
Give me Caffeine or Give me Death!

Offline scifi365

• Medway, UK
    • View Profile
    • Science Fiction Book Deals
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2016, 01:37:14 PM »
Oh, and Betsy - The Difference Engine (Bruce Sterling/William Gibson) and Infernal Devices (K.W Jeter) : those are my recommendations. There's some other cool stuff out there,  'Leviathan' by Scott Westerfeld is excellent as is Cherie Priest's 'Boneshaker'. Those four will pretty much define Steampunk for you.

Join The Free SciFi365 eBook Deals Newsletter
SciFi365.net -The Website | Or Find Us On Facebook | Follow Us On Twitter

Offline ehhoward

• Cheshire (England)
    • View Profile
    • Shudalandia
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2016, 03:51:54 PM »
Oh, and Betsy - The Difference Engine (Bruce Sterling/William Gibson) and Infernal Devices (K.W Jeter) : those are my recommendations. There's some other cool stuff out there,  'Leviathan' by Scott Westerfeld is excellent as is Cherie Priest's 'Boneshaker'. Those four will pretty much define Steampunk for you.
These are the 'classics', but they are fairly old. I like to keep in tune with what is being published this year, especially when I am toying with writing some. I even did a diet of vampires last year! Ohh that was so bad it put me right off.

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2016, 03:56:58 PM »

Thanks!  Will check them out!

Betsy

Offline ehhoward

• Cheshire (England)
    • View Profile
    • Shudalandia
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2016, 03:57:17 PM »
The thing with Steampunk is that it's become a 'fashion' genre. People (certainly in London and Brighton, the two cities I've seen it most) dress up steampunk style. The whole goggles, flying helmet and brass accessories thing (and, of course, Victorian boned corsets for the ladies) is what people mean when they refer to steampunk.

The indie publishing sector simply reflects this. It's now a literary form where the tropes, the styles, the mechanics of the genre outweigh what was good about it in the first place. In other words, steampunk is eating itself.

There's not really anywhere for it to go in a fictional sense and so people who read the genre (myself included) get bored in the end. It's all a long way from 'The Difference Engine' and 'Infernal Devices', unfortunately.
I think you're spot on. The art/ fashion now has a life outside of the books. Even up north, we had the Crewe steampunk festival. They are going for bigger and better next year. There really has to be more to it than gears and goggles. And oh my god, the corsets! Take more than whale none to control all that.

Offline alawston

• London
  • London-based writer and actor
    • View Profile
    • Andrew K Lawston's intermittent blogular adventures
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2016, 02:31:40 AM »
Glass Books of the Dream Eaters has strong steampunk overtones. And Johnathan Green's Pax Britannia series, and of course George Mann's Newbury & Hobbes books.

I'd agree that I'm seeing fewer startlingly good steampunk books coming out. It's a very prescriptive subgenre, and at times it does start to feel a bit mined out. Robert Rankin sometimes prefers to call it "Meta-Victoriana", pointing out that there's very little that is authentically "punk" about most of the titles out there.

Broadly comic writer working across as many genres as he can. Acting done.
Andrew Lawston | Facebook | Twitter

Offline anguabell

• View Profile
    • Goodreads
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2016, 12:47:42 PM »
I too would recommend George Mann's Newberry and Hobbes Alan mentioned, and the Glass Book of Dream Eaters is one of my all-time favorites.  My recent discoveries in this genre include Mark Hodder and his Burton & Swinburne series. The first 4 books were great, the remaining 2 not that much, but all well-worth reading. Lots of interesting real history, too!

I am just reading China Mieville's New Crobuzon series often described as "steampunk". Plenty of steam engines in those books, that's for sure, but otherwise they are more in the fantasy genre. Still, very vivid and fascinating, last but not least because of his amazing language.

All these are steampunk books for adults. I have no patience with silly romance tropes or YA literature, and I am sorry to see the genre going that way. Still waiting for Gail Carriger to write something for grown ups. She is such an intelligent writer, and can do something more challenging. But...I guess it's business, just like everything else.

Online Mike D. aka jmiked

• Central Texas
  • Reading ebooks since 1994!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2016, 04:27:31 PM »
I think both steampunk and urban fantasy are fading in popularity with readers.  That said, you might enjoy Frank Tuttle's All the Paths of Shadow (it's a series. I forget the names of the other two books).    IT gets more steampunkish as the series develops.  IMO, his urban fantasy is even better, but obviously mileage will vary!

Hmmm, I have all of Tuttle's books and wouldn't have called any of them either steampunk or urban fantasy. Of course, I'm an old guy, so I'm out of touch with almost everything.

Mike
What you see depends mainly on what you are looking for.

Offline Cal Lumney

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2016, 12:53:29 PM »
The trads published Elizabeth Bear's Karen Memory this past year. Her Garrett stories are a bit of magic and detective work combined, much like the investigators of whom Philippa Ballantine writes. Oh, and Adina's Lady of Devices.

There's a graphic somewhere, an analysis of genre "bubbles" and "cells" and whatnot, and while steampunk is a small subgenre, there's doubtless some strong loyalty and communication among its fans.

Offline MichealC

• KCMO
    • View Profile
    • PocketWatch Press
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2016, 04:15:14 PM »
I think its less of steampunk/urban fantasy becoming less popular and more that they are being subsumed into sci-fi and fantasy as a whole. Becoming a bit of the fabric that makes those what they are in the collective unconscious. The same thing happened to cyberpunk. There are definatley plenty of cyberpunk based stories these days but are rarely labeled as such. Instead of a story being "steampunk", it gets labeled as sci-fi or alternate history because the public views them as part of that genre. It's what seems to happen when a sub-genre goes mainstream.
Editing services for the discerning individual. http://pocketwatchpress.com

Offline Holly Bell

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2016, 04:27:47 PM »
I always considered steam punk part of sci fi fad and I've never been a fan, but I'm probably outside the target demographic.
Whistleblowers: 20%
Holly A. Bell | Blog | Twitter | Facebook

Offline editorialeyes

• Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
    • EditorialEyes Publishing Services
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2016, 05:51:50 PM »
Steampunk is a funny one--very visually striking and recognizable, and the only literary genre I can think of that grew out of an aesthetic. It does seem to have lost steam (sorry, sorry, I can't help myself), but the hardcore readers are always on the lookout for something new. In my experience, it has to be more than just, as you say, gears and funny machines. There needs to be plot and innovation and a reason we find ourselves in this gaslight world.

A recommendation: Flix J. Palma's The Map of Time is an interesting sci-fi take on the Victorian crazy-machinery aspects, bringing in the likes of Jack the Ripper and Jules Verne for a wild ride where you as the reader are never quite sure if what you're reading is pageantry or genuine magic. Good stuff!
EditorialEyes Publishing Services
Ryerson University certified editor. 10+ years' experience with Harlequin, Oxford University Press, and freelance clients.

blurb writing  |  manuscript critiquing and structural editing  |  line editing  |  copyediting  |  proofreading  |  audiobook proofing

Kboards blurb special price: $30 (regular $45). | dee[at]editorialeyes[dot]net | editorialeyes.net/services

• Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2016, 06:58:28 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion--looks interesting!

The Map of Time: A Novel (The Map of Time Trilogy Book 1)

Betsy

Offline editorialeyes

• Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
    • EditorialEyes Publishing Services
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2016, 09:36:16 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion--looks interesting!

The Map of Time: A Novel (The Map of Time Trilogy Book 1)

Betsy

Hope you enjoy it! It's the first in a trilogy. I haven't had the chance to pick up the next one yet.
EditorialEyes Publishing Services
Ryerson University certified editor. 10+ years' experience with Harlequin, Oxford University Press, and freelance clients.

blurb writing  |  manuscript critiquing and structural editing  |  line editing  |  copyediting  |  proofreading  |  audiobook proofing

Kboards blurb special price: $30 (regular $45). | dee[at]editorialeyes[dot]net | editorialeyes.net/services

• Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2016, 04:42:30 AM »
Hope you enjoy it! It's the first in a trilogy. I haven't had the chance to pick up the next one yet.

I've added it to my wishlist...one of these days!

Betsy

Offline Compton

• New Zealand
  • Textpunk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2016, 02:15:37 AM »
I'm hoping to publish my first story in 3 weeks - it's a steampunk/cyberpunk/dieselpunk/biopunk crossover. No fantasy...well, except for this one tiny plot device.

How the hell will I market such a thing? Crossoverpunk?