Author Topic: Has steampunk run out of steam as a litarary genre?  (Read 2178 times)  

Offline Geoffrey

• Dallas, Texas
  • Live! Live! Live! Life is a Banquet!
    • View Profile
Re: Has steampunk run out of steam as a litarary genre?
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2016, 02:51:17 PM »
I think part of the thing with steampunk - and it's been around for quite a while - is that the market saturated itself these past few years.   A few notable books and series rose to the top, but most of the books within the sub-genre became formulaic and so much background noise.  The earlier novels from the late 80s/early 90s had the advantage of being part of something new, so they invented the sub-genre, some of the later authors reinvented them by blending them genres or styles - Gail Carriger made steampunk amusing; China Meville blended in a lot of weird, in a way, Scott Westerfeld's Leviathan was just standard YA steampunk flying ships, but it just worked.

I personally some of the other *punk sub-genres are less saturated and still more interesting.  Cyberpunk can be cliche but dieselpunk and biopunk are fun areas with lots of room to explore, IMHO.   They don't have that same feeling that I've already read that book like steampunk can (or for that matter, urban fantasy, werewolves, zombies or vampires ....)

Offline smashthegamestate

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2016, 05:03:46 PM »
Heather Albano's Study in Steampunk: Choice by Gaslight is easily my favorite Choose Your Own Adventure style game. So, no, I'd say steampunk is alive and well as a genre. http://store.steampowered.com/app/421630/

Online Lorri Moulton

• Author of Romances, Mysteries, and Fairytales
    • View Profile
    • Lavender Lass Books
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2017, 03:14:31 PM »
Heather Albano's Study in Steampunk: Choice by Gaslight is easily my favorite Choose Your Own Adventure style game. So, no, I'd say steampunk is alive and well as a genre. http://store.steampowered.com/app/421630/

It seems like Steampunk fashion and even TV/movie influences continue to grow.  I hope there will be more popularity for the books, too. 

Author of Romances, Mysteries, Fairytales and Historical Non-Fiction.
Lorri Moulton | Website | Amazon | Facebook | Twitter

Offline MariaESchneider

• Austin, Texas
  • Urban Fantasy, Fantasy, Humorous Mysteries
    • View Profile
    • Bear Mountain Books
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2017, 01:04:18 PM »
Jackaby is a good steampunk-sort-of.  I enjoyed it.

Offline tocs100

• Utah
    • View Profile
    • Amazon author profile
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2017, 10:43:45 PM »
steampunk to me has always seemed simply to be a sub-sub-genre of science fiction and alternate history with specific rules to make it steampunk.  because of those rules, i've found most steampunk stories to be too similar to go looking for more.

This. It never got a series like Star Trek or Dr. Who to kickstart it. imo. There was William Gibson's cyberpunk "X-Files" episodes, and that game show last year(?) but the movie takes on it always rang hollow to me, unless maybe you count the original "Blade Runner," but even that didn't hit me right until later teen years. "Guardians of the Galaxy" seems somewhat in the spirit, but the similar-looking "Suicide Squad" kinda squashed the movement right out of the gate. :=(
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 10:47:12 PM by tocs100 »

S.W. Wilcox | amazon | facebook | goodreads

Online RightHoJeeves

• Perth
    • View Profile
    • Lawson Copywriting
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2017, 10:58:50 PM »
This. It never got a series like Star Trek or Dr. Who to kickstart it. imo. There was William Gibson's cyberpunk "X-Files" episodes, and that game show last year(?) but the movie takes on it always rang hollow to me, unless maybe you count the original "Blade Runner," but even that didn't hit me right until later teen years. "Guardians of the Galaxy" seems somewhat in the spirit, but the similar-looking "Suicide Squad" kinda squashed the movement right out of the gate. :=(

Given there is going to be another Blade Runner this year it's probably a great genre to be writing in at the moment.

James Lawson

Offline Matt Khourie

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2017, 07:40:50 PM »
Can a genre of anything ever really run out of steam as long as quality works are being produced? As long as there are talented wordsmiths out there who can hit all the right notes and emotional beats, I think readers as a whole are willing to go along for the familiar retreads.

Online Lorri Moulton

• Author of Romances, Mysteries, and Fairytales
    • View Profile
    • Lavender Lass Books
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2017, 08:26:15 AM »

What about Wild, Wild West (tv show and movie) new version of Westworld and I would say Firefly...although many disagree.  While not true Steampunk, there are elements of that blend of Victorian/old west and more modern technology.

League of Extraordinary Gentleman and even a few references on Once Upon A Time.  While Steampunk may not be hot, I think it wouldn't take much to bring it back to the forefront of entertainment venues.  It's such a cool concept and the outfits are great! 

Keeping my fingers crossed it makes a resurgence since one of my characters runs a nightclub catering to Steampunk! :)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 08:28:39 AM by Lorri Moulton »

Author of Romances, Mysteries, Fairytales and Historical Non-Fiction.
Lorri Moulton | Website | Amazon | Facebook | Twitter

Offline ThomasDiehl

• MGladbach, Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2017, 01:03:43 AM »
Given there is going to be another Blade Runner this year it's probably a great genre to be writing in at the moment.
Also, Ghost in the Shell just got a remake. Most punk genres (steampunk, cyberpunk, dieselpunk, desertpunk, biopunk) are extremely popular in manga/anime compared to the West, so maybe learning Japanese is an option? ;)
All Hail the King series: 4%

How the Rain Gets In: 21%
English Blog | German Blog

Offline MariaESchneider

• Austin, Texas
  • Urban Fantasy, Fantasy, Humorous Mysteries
    • View Profile
    • Bear Mountain Books
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2017, 02:48:51 PM »
Can a genre of anything ever really run out of steam as long as quality works are being produced? As long as there are talented wordsmiths out there who can hit all the right notes and emotional beats, I think readers as a whole are willing to go along for the familiar retreads.

It can easily run out of steam if people don't find them or aren't looking for them or are avoiding them.  I've been running a book blog for 15 years--and I see various trends in what people buy.  For the longest time, cozy mysteries ALWAYS sold well.  Lately, that seems to have moved more to historical mysteries and women's fiction.  Even thrillers and general mystery are picking up compared to cozies.  Urban Fantasy had/has a steady stream of interest, but lately (last year or so) it's been trending down, slowly, but steadily.  I tend to post books that do well and switch it up if a certain genre isn't doing well.  Steampunk was never huge on my blog unless mixed with romance or unless it was on the cozier side (Frank Tuttle, Gail Carringer, shelley adina).  Right now romantic comedy and general mystery (including historical) are the top selling categories.  Romance hasn't been a top seller on my blog for a few years, but it's what is selling right now.   Steampunk doesn't do well if it looks too much like urban fantasy, but there are pockets that will still sell.  I haven't tried anything lately because it hasn't done all that well in the last year.

Offline Caylen

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2017, 03:59:49 AM »
I've been lurking on kindleboards for awhile, but now that I've officially signed up, I have to say... this entire thread killed me a little! lol! (I just released the first book in a series that has quite a few steampunk elements)

Hopefully I included enough fantasy and romance that I won't be a total flop.  ;D

Offline Maalik

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2017, 06:16:32 AM »
I forgot this genre even existed. I think it's always been a smaller niche but if you write something good the fans will come.