Author Topic: Ereader IQ and Affiliate Links  (Read 1465 times)  

Offline ElaineOK

• Oklahoma
    • View Profile
    • Dowling Law Offices
Ereader IQ and Affiliate Links
« on: June 19, 2016, 02:01:25 PM »
I have forgotten which board this should be on, so if a moderator feels the need to move it -- my apologies for making work for you.  by now I should know better.

That said, EreaderIQ is having a bit of a crisis.  It appears that Amazon has either done away with or changed their affiliate link program, and the couple who run EreaderIQ are asking for donations until they figure out another way to make the site pay for itself.  I learned about EreaderIQ on these boards, and I know that many others use it or a service like it to watch for price drops, so I thought I would mention this here.  I just paypal'd them a $5 donation. 

Also, Kboards is partially funded with affiliate links; and I thought I would ask how if this site will be adversely affected.

Elaine
Oklahoma

Offline Gertie Kindle 'a/k/a Margaret Lake'

• Florida
  • Remembering Jeff and Harvey
    • View Profile
Re: Ereader IQ and Affiliate Links
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2016, 02:05:54 PM »
I used ERIQ to notify me when book were kindleized. An invaluable site for readers. Too bad.

Please visit my website to browse my virtual bookshelf.
Margaret Lake | website | twitter | youtube | facebook

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Oklahoma
  • Card-carrying melodrama villain
    • View Profile
    • All about me....<hee hee>
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2016, 04:46:53 PM »
I've noticed this on EReaderIQ, and been disappointed with the news. A couple of other sites are affected similarly, it seems. I haven't read anything specific on what happened or changed, but I have the impression Amazon changed the terms to make life difficult/impossible for sites where most links are to cheap or free books. I hadn't thought how this site might be affected, though I don't know how much this is funded through links (and not really my affair, but I'm interested in the future of of KBoards!)

If EReaderIQ a goes to subscription, I'll consider subscribing, depending on the cost. Arguably I should just quit buying books and focus on my backlog, which will take me far longer than my body's "sell by" date to exhaust!  :D

(Make your own reading bar)
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."  - Albert Einstein

Offline barryem

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2016, 04:55:43 PM »
I've read a couple of blog articles about EreaderIQ and Amazon and it seems Amazon had set up rules about the way they could operate a long time ago and everyone has ignore those rules.  From what I read (I know nothing about this myself) these sites were generating sales for Amazon so everyone was happy, but, the bloggers speculate, Amazon felt it was losing control over the end user experience and has decided to begin enforcing the rules, or at least using those rules as an excuse to close them down.

I've never used EreaderIQ but I do get emails from BookBub and Book Gorilla, which haven't been affected yet.  I hope they aren't but for me it's not a big thing.  I enjoy them but I can find books other ways if I have to.

I don't read the book forums in KBoards (maybe I need to look at them) but I do enjoy these discussions and I'd hate to lose them.  I'd be willing to pay a reasonable subscription fee here if need be.

Barry

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2016, 07:19:29 PM »
At this point, I don't believe the issues that prevented EReaderIQ from being able to participate in the Amazon Affiliate program affect KBoards, though we are certainly reviewing our practices here to make sure we are in compliance with the Affiliate program ToS.

Betsy
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline tsemple

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 01:32:29 PM »
I think part of the issue was having affiliate links sent out within email messages, rather than from an actual web site. But if that were the only issue it isn't clear why the email could not first take you to the affiliate's web page and require a second click from there.

Clicking a link in BookBub email takes you to a bookbub.com address, and then redirects to the relevant storefront page. They get significant income from publishers to include a book in their promotions, though I think they also get Amazon affiliate income when purchased from Amazon. Not familiar with Bookgorilla, but assume it is similar (except it only works with Amazon and not Apple/Google/Kobo/B&N).

Guess we'll have to wait and see how these other services are affected.