Author Topic: My Kindle is here!  (Read 2753 times)  

Offline colleen

• Illinois
    • View Profile
My Kindle is here!
« on: November 01, 2008, 03:22:23 PM »
My beautiful new Kindle arrived yesterday afternoon with our UPS man - right as our first Halloween party guests were walking up the driveway.  DARN!!!!  I usually love to entertain, but honestly last night I was SO bummed we had guests coming - I wanted to PLAY!!!!  (the UPS guy usually comes earlier in the day - but just my luck it was a late day for him apparently)

I ran her (yes, I have determined my Kindle is a girl) up to my office and tore open the packaging.  She is SOOO pretty!  I plugged her in, promising more time to get acquainted later, and ran back down to my guests.

Finally, at 11:30 the last guests left, and sprinted back up to my office (taking the steps 3 at a time!).  I flipped the switch to on, and VOILA!  There were all of the sample chapters I had pre-ordered - plus Leslie's FAQ book of course.  I promised myself I would read through Leslie's whole book before trying to navigate around anything else, and I'm glad I did.  It really gave me a great perspective on how to use my new baby.  (Great job Leslie!)

So now this weekend I am supposed to be studying for my Geriatrics exam on Monday (nursing school).  But I am so enthralled and enchanted by my Kindle I was afraid I would not get any studying done.  So I made myself a deal this morning.  For every hour I spend studying I reward myself with 30 minutes of Kindle time.  So far, so good!

Now to think of a name for her.....

Offline Anne

• Queens New York
    • View Profile
Re: My Kindle is here!
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 03:27:06 PM »
Colleen:Congrats on your new baby. I remember the day mine came in July. I spent the rest of the day reading. I like your deal for every hour you spend studying you get 30 minutes reading your Kindle.

Anne

Offline cush

• San Diego
  • Ken Kindle's Guardian Dragon Screensaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 03:28:24 PM »
How about Florence (Nightingale)?
*cush*  

My life is an open book...errr...Kindle.

Offline Anne

• Queens New York
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 03:32:02 PM »
Cush: Great Idea Florence ( Nightngale)

Offline Leslie

• Member 24!
  • Global Moderator
  • Maine, USA
  • Kindle Paperwhite for Dummies available now!
    • View Profile
    • Maine Desk
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2008, 03:32:45 PM »

Hahahah, good choice, Cush! Or Lavinia Dock. I always liked that name and she was a pretty terrific nurse, too.

Colleen, I'm glad the FAQ book was a success for you! Thanks for your support.

L

Leslie Nicoll

Offline Mnemosyne

• Atlanta
  • Doesn't speak Destiny
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2008, 03:38:50 PM »
Congrats colleen! I got mine yesterday and haven't been able to put it down! I've just been happily clicking away on amazon and gutenberg.org lining stuff up on it. I've been wanting to read Pride and Prejudice and just put it on my Kindle, can't wait to read!

I'm going to be awful and ask a question. I've been hunting Leslie's great FAQ book, but I must be skipping the section that explains if there is a way to re-name files on the Kindle home page. Leslie (or anyone really!), could you tell me which chappie I could find that answer in? Thanks!

Nemo

Just Finished: "Nefertiti"

Reading: "The Heretic Queen"

Offline colleen

• Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2008, 03:41:14 PM »

PERFECT!!!!  Florence it is!  Oh that just fits so well!  Now why didn't I think of that???

Thanks for the suggestion - I love it!

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2008, 03:53:11 PM »
What, not Cherry (Cherry Ames)?  Does any one but me remember her??

Betsy
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline Jeff

• McGregor, Texas
  • Member 95
    • View Profile
    • J. Hepple, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2008, 03:55:05 PM »
FYI: My daughters friend ordered two Kindles today and the estimated arrival date was December 22nd.

Jeff

Offline Gina

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2008, 04:04:33 PM »
Colleen, congrats on your new Kindle!  I"ve had mine a week and last night, downloaded my third book.  I'm viciously reading at a rate that Superman would be proud of!!!   I tend to download one book at a time and read it to the end, and download another.  But give me time!   hope you love yours as much as I love mine!

Offline Leslie

• Member 24!
  • Global Moderator
  • Maine, USA
    • View Profile
    • Maine Desk
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2008, 04:15:11 PM »
I'm going to be awful and ask a question. I've been hunting Leslie's great FAQ book, but I must be skipping the section that explains if there is a way to re-name files on the Kindle home page. Leslie (or anyone really!), could you tell me which chappie I could find that answer in? Thanks!

Nemo

To be honest, I don't have that in there. To use it, you have use Mobi2Mobi and change the metadata for the book, which to me, veers into the realm of "geeky-technical" and not "frequently asked." So I didn't include it and I actually haven't done it. It seems most people are changing book titles on the home page for free books or books not from Amazon and that also started to veer into "geeky-technical" territory. Since the vast majority of the stuff on my Kindle has come from Amazon, I really haven't had to change the titles of books. The few that are funky I can live with.

Nemo, I'd suggest going over to the Tips and Tricks board and starting a new topic with that question. I know there are lots of people here who have actually done it and can give you step by step directions. And if you start it as a thread over there, it will be more visible to others, rather than buried here in a welcome message.

Thanks...!

L
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 04:31:08 PM by Leslie »

Leslie Nicoll

Offline Leslie

• Member 24!
  • Global Moderator
  • Maine, USA
    • View Profile
    • Maine Desk
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2008, 04:18:29 PM »

Betsy

I remember Cherry Ames. I even had the Cherry Ames Game! I wish I still had it. It's probably worth a bundle, somewhere...LOL

Unfortunately, poor Cherry didn't have the best reputation in the world of professional nurses. There was always some feeling that her goal was to meet a doctor and be able to quit nursing to stay at home as a wife and mother. I think at the end of the series she actually did.

But on the other hand, who can resist a title like Dude Ranch Nurse? LOL.

L

PS, here's a trivia question: do you pronounce it Cherry, like the fruit, or Sherry, like the drink? I've heard both. I've always been a hard ch Cherry, myself.

Leslie Nicoll

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2008, 04:22:12 PM »
You're absolutely right about the geekiness of it, Leslie, but here's why I would like to do it.  If I buy a book in a series, I like to read them in order.  I put my paper books in order on the book shelf if they're in a series.  But typically, you can't tell from the title which book comes 1st in a series.  I'll likely use the mobi2mobi (when I figure it out) to chagne the titles so that the series and ordinal is in the title:  J D Robb's Eve Dallas Series might be ED#!--Glory in Death, etc.  So even the books from Amazon I would want to rename.

But I understand that it's not a FAQ.  I'm going to figure it out eventually, though!

Betsy

• Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2008, 04:28:20 PM »

I remember Cherry Ames. I even had the Cherry Ames Game! I wish I still had it. It's probably worth a bundle, somewhere...LOL

Unfortunately, poor Cherry didn't have the best reputation in the world of professional nurses. There was always some feeling that her goal was to meet a doctor and be able to quit nursing to stay at home as a wife and mother. I think at the end of the series she actually did.

But on the other hand, who can resist a title like Dude Ranch Nurse? LOL.

L

PS, here's a trivia question: do you pronounce it Cherry, like the fruit, or Sherry, like the drink? I've heard both. I've always been a hard ch Cherry, myself.

I always pronounced it Cherry like the fruit.  I can see the perspective of the professional nurses, but I can say as a little girl, I loved these books about working women--I also had the Vicky Barr Flight Stewardess...  (and also the Trixie Belden series).

Offline Leslie

• Member 24!
  • Global Moderator
  • Maine, USA
    • View Profile
    • Maine Desk
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2008, 04:33:46 PM »
You're absolutely right about the geekiness of it, Leslie, but here's why I would like to do it.  If I buy a book in a series, I like to read them in order.  I put my paper books in order on the book shelf if they're in a series.  But typically, you can't tell from the title which book comes 1st in a series.  I'll likely use the mobi2mobi (when I figure it out) to chagne the titles so that the series and ordinal is in the title:  J D Robb's Eve Dallas Series might be ED#!--Glory in Death, etc.  So even the books from Amazon I would want to rename.

But I understand that it's not a FAQ.  I'm going to figure it out eventually, though!

Betsy

Start a thread in the Tips board. I know there are people who do it all the time, for exactly the reason you specified (and others). They'll walk you right through the whole process and once you've done it a few times, it's a snap.

L

Leslie Nicoll

Offline Mnemosyne

• Atlanta
  • Doesn't speak Destiny
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2008, 04:34:41 PM »
I've started the thread in the Tips board! Thanks again!

Nemo

Just Finished: "Nefertiti"

Reading: "The Heretic Queen"

• Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2008, 04:38:30 PM »
Thanks, Leslie, I'll do that when I get ready to learn the method!

Betsy

Offline Linda Cannon-Mott

• Assignment #118
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2008, 05:08:59 PM »
Congratulations Colleen! I like the name too. I admire your discipline to study and Kindle.

Enjoy,
Linda

Offline colleen

• Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2008, 05:43:31 PM »

Betsy

Now that would be a good one too!  My sister and I were lucky enough to get my mom and aunt's old Cherry Ames books when we were maybe 9 and 10 I think.  I remember thinking that they smelled awful (I do NOT fall into the 'love the perfume of a book' category!), but I loved the stories...  We also got their (even older) Honey Bunch books when we were about 7 and 8...  Used to love those too!

P.S.  We always pronounced it Cherry like the fruit.

• Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2008, 05:52:52 PM »
Yes, I read the Honey Bunch and Norman books, too.

I would love to get Kindled versions of some of those old books!!!  What fun would that be!

Betsy

Offline Leslie

• Member 24!
  • Global Moderator
  • Maine, USA
    • View Profile
    • Maine Desk
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2008, 06:02:34 PM »
Yes, I read the Honey Bunch and Norman books, too.

I would love to get Kindled versions of some of those old books!!!  What fun would that be!

Betsy

I collect old, original Nancy Drews. I actually think I'd like to have some of them on my Kindle, complete with pictures. Every now and then, I need to read The Moss Covered Mansion. (The first one I ever read and I still think it is the scariest. Of course, it is tinged with memory!)

L

Leslie Nicoll

Offline sjc

• (Member 153)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2008, 09:16:57 PM »
Congrats...I would have thrown the guests out with doggie bags and said thanks for coming...bye now, come again. (Kidding)  You are going to love it, love it, love it.  I liked Cush's name.  Best of luck with your studies.  I wanted to be a nurse; now my niece is in her 3rd year of college for nursing...great field. 

I remember when Diahann Caroll was the nurse on the show Julia; I had the talking Julia doll because I wanted to be a nurse too; then the next week my brother was riding his bike took a nasty one to the lip popping a wheelie, blood everywhere; I put my Julia doll away and to this day I have no clue as to what ever happened to that doll.  I did stay in the medical field; but my nursing days were over.
Fight the Battle-Win the War

Offline Buttercup

• Monterey Bay, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2008, 09:21:02 PM »
Congratulations Colleen! 
Bassets are like potato chips, you can't have just one!
www.ggbassetrescue.org

Offline colleen

• Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2008, 07:29:58 AM »

I remember when Diahann Caroll was the nurse on the show Julia; I had the talking Julia doll because I wanted to be a nurse too; then the next week my brother was riding his bike took a nasty one to the lip popping a wheelie, blood everywhere; I put my Julia doll away and to this day I have no clue as to what ever happened to that doll.  I did stay in the medical field; but my nursing days were over.

I used to LOVE Julia!  I was the only 1st grader who showed up at school with a Julia lunchbox!  I wanted to be just like her!