Need a new Case? Save $30 with code SPARKLE30 + Free Shipping at Case-Mate.com! Offer ends 12/15.

Author Topic: My New Fire HD 10  (Read 815 times)  

Offline pawnslinger

• View Profile
My New Fire HD 10
« on: July 18, 2016, 12:24:08 PM »
In the past I have used a Kindle Paperwhite, a Kindle 2, and the Kindle App on my iPad2.  I decided to trade (gave to my wife) my iPad2 for a new Fire HD 10.

And now, I have discovered, with the latest update of the Kindle software on the Fire HD 10 (which I received this morning), I probably won't be buying too many books from Amazon any longer.  I do not like having my books stored in the cloud.  And now I find this is unavoidable.  In the past, after buying a book and opening it on my device, I would remove it from the cloud thru my Amazon account online.  This never before deleted any books from my device, IF they had been already downloaded and opened for reading.  Now this has changed.  Once removed from the cloud, they are removed from my Fire HD 10.  And what is worse, Amazon won't let me re-purchase the book, because it has already been purchased.  Catch-22!

Therefore, I must keep all my books in the cloud, whether I like it or not.  Someone at Amazon must own stock in Smashwords!

It is a privacy issue.  I share my Amazon account with children (adult children) whom I would rather didn't know my reading habits.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
Re: My New Fire HD 10
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 03:49:10 PM »
If I'm understanding what you're saying: you believe that, with previous kindles, if the book was on your device and you removed it from your account at Amazon, then it stayed on your kindle. That was true up to around 2010/2011. Since then, if you wanted to keep a book when disconnecting the device from the account or returning/deleting the book, you had to never again connect to WiFi. Once you do connect, the device communicates with Amazon and will delete any books that you no longer own. I don't see this as unfair and it's the way it has worked for years. If you buy a book, put it on your account, and then return it, you SHOULDN'T still have access to it, from my perspective.

Now, if you deleted it via MYC&D, you should be able to re-purchase it. If you can't, that warrants a call to Kindle CS.

I guess I don't share your concern about the cloud. For me, having my 2000 books in the cloud but NOT having to have all 2000 actually ON my kindle is awesome.You can still download to a computer and transfer files via USB -- they'll be coded for only one device but they'll be there on your computer still if you delete them. This would pretty much require you never connect via WiFi which, for me, is crippling one of the best features, but you may feel differently.

As to having other people who share your account, there are ways to do that now and keep some books unavailable to certain 'sharers' so that, for example, your 8 year old can't accidentally get into books that are not age appropriate.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline pawnslinger

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 11:02:12 PM »
Actually, you have to open the book for reading, before taking it out of the cloud.  Since I am very new to the Fire, I cannot say anything about how it worked, but my iPad2 and Paperwhite would not remove the book from the device, unless it was marked "New".  Once the "New" was gone, the book would stay on the device until manually removed.  I have just had the Fire for about 24 hours, so I was bitten on the very first book that I purchased for delivery to the Fire.

I have not checked my Paperwhite in the last few days, but about a week ago, it was still keeping my "cloud removed" books.

I do have a lot of books in the cloud... around 1400... but some books are of such a nature that I do not wish to share with my adult children.  At 70 years old, I am considered too old to be interested in that sort of thing.  And I would just as soon that they keep believing that.  So I will purchase my "adult" books from other sites, like Samshwords.  I already have done some of that, but it is easier to buy from Amazon.  Which is more important, my privacy or ease of use?  A question I have to answer for myself.

Smashwords does have the advantage of cloud storage too.  But delivery to Kindle is not quite as easy.

Offline pawnslinger

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 11:30:59 PM »
Okay, I just checked my Paperwhite,  and cloudless books are not removed.  I bought a book, just now, sent it to my Paperwhite and opened it for reading, then removed it from my cloud.  It is still on my Paperwhite and I did a manual sync to give it a chance to remove it.  It is still there.  So of my 2 devices (I have given all my others away to family), the Paperwhite retains the books, the Fire deletes them.

Offline Readirect

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 07:23:06 AM »
Just like any device (iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, e-readers, etc.) you can always download the books that you purchase -- using the Kindle PC app --, import them into a de-drm enabled Calibre, then sideload them back to your tablet and use one of the (many) excellent Android reading apps (Moon+, for instance) to read the book. No Amazon, no cloud, no nothing. Just the books you put on the device (although you *can*, of course, use something like dropbox to store your content and download it from there. Dropbox is your private account so nobody need see it.) As far as your purchases still showing up in the cloud, once you've backed them up in Calibre you can delete them from the Amazon cloud.

Google for the particulars; it's not at all difficult.

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac