NetGalley

Author Topic: Who wants a free custom cover?  (Read 2597 times)  

Offline liquidenvy

• View Profile
    • Vivid Covers
Who wants a free custom cover?
« on: July 19, 2016, 06:04:04 PM »
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 09:49:06 PM by liquidenvy »

Offline WestofCassy

• View Profile
Re: VIVID COVERS - Premade & Custom Covers (eBook & Print) from $30 USD
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2016, 08:06:01 PM »
Vivid Covers! 

That is the wonderful artist who did my book With the Dawn! They're worth every penny. If not for them I don't think my book would have even been noticed. Thank you so much for such an amazing cover!

Cassandra Sky West | Facebook | Blog

Offline liquidenvy

• View Profile
    • Vivid Covers
Re: Anyone writing Scifi? Sweet Sci-Fi Covers... VIVID COVERS
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 02:37:04 AM »
Anyone writing scifi?

New covers on http://www.vividcovers.com :

Offline Kal241

• Things are never what they seem
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 11:50:01 AM »
This will be a good resource if my own cover concepts prove useless. Good to know!

An artist and a writer combined into one being. When you work with Kal, you get a 2-4-1 deal!  

Check out my artistry at: http://kal241.deviantart.com/
Writing samples of mine will be made available upon request.

Offline Marc Rokoff

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2017, 11:57:16 AM »
Nice work! Your covers are much better than some of the other pre-made sites I've seen. May I take a screenshot of the slider image on your site so I can share it on Twitter?

Marc Rokoff | Twitter | Google+

Offline liquidenvy

• View Profile
    • Vivid Covers
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2017, 12:57:19 PM »
Nice work! Your covers are much better than some of the other pre-made sites I've seen. May I take a screenshot of the slider image on your site so I can share it on Twitter?

Thank you! And, of course. Please do :)

Offline Marc Rokoff

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2017, 03:48:15 PM »
Tweeted! Best of luck to you. I hope to use your services at some point in 2017!
(The tweet: https://twitter.com/MarcRokoff/status/820054202055393280 )

Marc Rokoff | Twitter | Google+

Offline Jeff Tanyard

• Georgia
  • Wait and hope.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2017, 08:19:06 PM »
I like those SF covers, and the price is very attractive.  Y'all might be hearing from me some day.   :)
            v  v  v   Short Stories   v  v  v                   Anthology       vvv FREE! vvv

Jeff Tanyard | Author Website

Offline Dragon

• Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Words & Worlds
Re: VIVID COVERS - Premade & Custom Covers (eBook & Print) from $30 USD
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2017, 07:44:55 AM »
An endorsement like yours, can go a long way in our business. I'll give them another look. Thank you for chiming in.

Vivid Covers! 

That is the wonderful artist who did my book With the Dawn! They're worth every penny. If not for them I don't think my book would have even been noticed. Thank you so much for such an amazing cover!

Offline Dragon

• Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Words & Worlds
Re:Sweet Sci-Fi Covers... VIVID COVERS
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2017, 07:54:50 AM »
I am impressed!
I've saved the site, poked around and looked in the FAQs, but couldn't find answers to my questions...
Are the funds in US? Do you accept PayPal?
Thanks for letting us all see what great work you've done!

WWW.VIVIDCOVERS.COM

Professionally designed pre-made and custom covers from $25 USD. We currently have over a hundred premade covers up for sale in many genres. If we don't have what you need ready-made, we can custom make it for you.

Here are some of our recent covers:

Offline HillOnLong

• The Old Continent
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2017, 08:37:56 AM »
Are you reselling your premade covers to multiple authors?

You have a listing for a premade cover that is identical to a SciFi book published by Vaughn Heppner in September 2016. If I were to buy a premade cover, my presumption would be that the cover artist isn't reselling the same cover again and again. That makes the whole point of differentiating yourself in the market kind of difficult, not to mention that that's not a very ethical way to do business since it's not mentioned anywhere on the sales page that someone else writing in the same genre might end up having an identical cover!

The premade cover you are selling on your page:
http://www.vividcovers.com/product/cover-no-2053/

The book published by Vaughn Heppner in September 2016:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LYCUOHE

EDIT: The FAQ on their page says the following:

Our designs are exclusive, meaning that once we sell a design, it is removed from the site and no longer offered for sale. This does not apply to Flash Packs.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 08:40:03 AM by HillOnLong »

Offline Heather Hamilton-Senter

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2017, 09:08:10 AM »
Are you reselling your premade covers to multiple authors?

You have a listing for a premade cover that is identical to a SciFi book published by Vaughn Heppner in September 2016. If I were to buy a premade cover, my presumption would be that the cover artist isn't reselling the same cover again and again. That makes the whole point of differentiating yourself in the market kind of difficult, not to mention that that's not a very ethical way to do business since it's not mentioned anywhere on the sales page that someone else writing in the same genre might end up having an identical cover!

The premade cover you are selling on your page:
http://www.vividcovers.com/product/cover-no-2053/

The book published by Vaughn Heppner in September 2016:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LYCUOHE

EDIT: The FAQ on their page says the following:

It's a stock photo. You can find lots like that on Adobe Stock etc. it can be licensed to designers an infinite amount of times. When you buy a cover, you are licensing an exclusive derivative artwork made up of stock (usually) and customized titling, not  the image.

Duplicate stock photos show up all the time in publishing. This company is charging a decent price for a stock plus titling premade. If you want unique, particularly in sci fi, you will need to pay a 3d artist or illustrator a good deal more than this!

I have nothing to do with this company - just saw the comment.

Heather Hamilton-Senter | Book Cover Artistry

Offline HillOnLong

• The Old Continent
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2017, 09:25:01 AM »
It's a stock photo. You can find lots like that on Adobe Stock etc. it can be licensed to designers an infinite amount of times. When you buy a cover, you are licensing an exclusive derivative artwork made up of stock (usually) and customized titling, not  the image.

Duplicate stock photos show up all the time in publishing. This company is charging a decent price for a stock plus titling premade. If you want unique, particularly in sci fi, you will need to pay a 3d artist or illustrator a good deal more than this!

I have nothing to do with this company - just saw the comment.

I know what a stock photo is and understand their function. What I did not realize was that they had simply slapped a title on one without modifying any part of the stock photo. What you usually see in SciFi is that people are using the same ships from stock photos, not actually completely identical covers without any modifications. Hence my problem with the site calling them exclusive.

Offline Greg Dragon

• The End is important in all things. - Tsunetomo
    • View Profile
    • GregDragon.com
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2017, 09:26:16 AM »

Exactly, and be willing to spend the $400+ to have it done. I thought that most people understood that microstock image sites sell the same photos to hundreds of people... I wonder if a breakdown of how the process works (especially from the Photographer's end getting paid for those downloads) would clear up some of this confusion.

Offline liquidenvy

• View Profile
    • Vivid Covers
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2017, 11:03:09 AM »
With all covers, the rule of thumb is: Quality, Exclusivity, Low Price... pick two! High quality, exclusive covers cost publishing companies thousands of dollars.

We do not resell the same cover to multiple authors. However, we source from stock--which is why we are able to offer professional-looking covers at such a low price. We have no control over any other artists or designers that the original photographer or artist chooses to license to. There is only a certain amount of modification that can be done to a cover before the time investment (and therefore the cost) equals what it would require to fabricate an entirely new cover.

Our base $45 covers have great images but very little modification--therefore the very low price.
We also sell premium covers from $75 that include multiple images, resulting in a more unique final product.
And finally, for $200 (and up), you can get a custom cover.

It all depends on the cost of materials and labor. For $45, you get a (good) stock photo, with good typography, and professional design. Those last two things are, frankly, more important than the first. It's incredibly easy to make a good photo look amateurish with an indiscriminate application of Comic Sans or Papyrus, poor kerning, or improper placement.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 10:36:49 PM by liquidenvy »

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2017, 11:08:29 AM »
LiquidEnvy--

Thank you for your patience in responding to our member questions.  We have found that how vendors respond to member questions is a good indicator of what they are like to work with.

Folks, it's entirely appropriate to ask questions of our vendors in their vendor thread; as always, we ask that the discourse be civil.

And now, I should add the official welcome!

LiquidEnvy--

Welcome to the KB Writers Cafe!

You're welcome to promote your business and website here in the Writers' Cafe!

Now that you have an official thread, you'll want to add your listing to our Yellow Pages Listing, found here:
http://www.kboards.com/yp/

The listing is free to KB members and is completely self-service; you can add and edit your listing from the page. More information on our Yellow Pages listing can be found here.

In your thread here, we ask that the same basic rules be followed as we have for authors in the Book Bazaar: you may have this one thread about your service and must post to it rather than start a new thread each time. New threads about the service wil be removed. Please bookmark this thread so that you can find it again to post to. And, you may not make back-to-back posts to the thread within seven days. If someone responds (such as this post), you may reply but otherwise must wait seven days, thanks!

Note that members may provide civil and honest feedback about your service to this thread, and you may respond in a civil manner. Disputes between you and clients should be handled off site.

Betsy
KBoards Moderator

Note that this welcome does not constitute an endorsement or vetting of a service by KBoards. Members should do due diligence when considering using a service, for example, by asking KB members for feedback and doing an Internet search such as "service provider name" complaints.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 11:11:09 AM by Betsy the Quilter »
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline Tulonsae

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2017, 11:57:03 AM »
Oh cool. I missed the information on how much a custom cover costs when I looked at your site. Glad you mentioned it in your response above.

You have some really nice covers for very reasonable prices.

Offline liquidenvy

• View Profile
    • Vivid Covers
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2017, 12:15:43 PM »
I am impressed!
I've saved the site, poked around and looked in the FAQs, but couldn't find answers to my questions...
Are the funds in US? Do you accept PayPal?
Thanks for letting us all see what great work you've done!

I apologize for missing your post. Yes, the funds are US. We don't have PayPal set up as a portal on the site right now, but we can definitely arrange that if it's your preferred method. Just shoot us a message here: http://www.vividcovers.com/contact-us/

Offline Heather Hamilton-Senter

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2017, 03:08:39 PM »
I know what a stock photo is and understand their function. What I did not realize was that they had simply slapped a title on one without modifying any part of the stock photo. What you usually see in SciFi is that people are using the same ships from stock photos, not actually completely identical covers without any modifications. Hence my problem with the site calling them exclusive.

It's not just stock photos of spaceships. On Adobe, you can find a ton with the these beautiful backgrounds, other ships, planets, etc. It's artwork that can be used as is with just adding a title. You may not like that - and I get it - but it's perfectly legal and above board for 10 designers to license the same image and not do anything with it except add their own titling to 10 'different' covers. There is absolutely no requirement to modify the photo in any way. And this provider has said that they don't license the same image more than once, so they are giving that particular cover to an author only once.

Now, do I think it's better to modify any stock? You bet. That's what I do with my covers, even premade. But there is no requirement legally or ethically, and no aspersion should be cast on any designers who don't. That's how they can afford to give authors covers that cost less than 50 bucks.

BTW Liquid Envy, congrats on your site, and I think you answered the question very reasonably. I'm just commenting because I was quoted directly.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 03:10:32 PM by Heather Hamilton-Senter »

Heather Hamilton-Senter | Book Cover Artistry

Offline liquidenvy

• View Profile
    • Vivid Covers
Re: Anyone writing Urban Fantasy / Paranormal?
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2017, 10:10:42 PM »
Anyone writing Urban Fantasy / Paranormal?

New covers on VIVIDCOVERS.COM

Offline liquidenvy

• View Profile
    • Vivid Covers
Re: Who's writing Military Sci-Fi?
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2017, 11:12:57 PM »
Our sci-fi covers have been going pretty fast, so we've put together a new batch.

WWW.VIVIDCOVERS.COM

Offline liquidenvy

• View Profile
    • Vivid Covers
Re: So, who's writing Sci-Fantasy?
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2017, 08:26:31 PM »
Newest update!

No more deja-vu covers. Our ORIGINAL PREMADES are made using original illustration and rendering.

This month's batch is sci-fi and sci-fantasy, for those of you killin it in space!

WWW.VIVIDCOVERS.COM

If we don't have what you need ready-made, we can custom make it for you.

Offline liquidenvy

• View Profile
    • Vivid Covers
Re: $10 PREMADE COVER SALE
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2017, 12:14:21 AM »
$10 PREMADE COVER SALE - Now till the end of the week (Nov 12th) WWW.VIVIDCOVERS.COM

SEE MORE HERE

Offline liquidenvy

• View Profile
    • Vivid Covers
Re: Who wants a free custom cover?
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2018, 09:49:14 PM »

Offline SA_Soule

• Northern CA
  • Author, Creativity Coach, & Avid Reader
    • View Profile
    • Amazon Author Profile
Re: Who wants a free custom cover?
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2018, 10:41:58 PM »
Amazing artwork! Wishing you much success.

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac