KB Featured
Stone and Silt
by Harvey Chute

$2.99
Kindle Edition published 2013-08-14
Bestseller ranking: 713665

Product Description
Big Al's Books & Pals 2014 Readers' Choice Awards: Young Adult Nominee

A ruthless murder and a stolen shipment of gold.

At school, sixteen-year-old Nikaia Wales endures the taunts of bullies who call her a “half-breed.” At home, she worries about how her family will react if she reveals her growing feelings for the quiet boy next door.

Those are soon the least of her troubles. Nikaia discovers a hidden cache of gold, and when police find a corpse nearby, her father becomes a suspect. Worse, Elias Doyle is circling, hungry to avenge his brother’s death.

Nikaia desperately searches for clues to save her father. In her quest to find the killer, she learns about the power of family, friendship, and young love....

Author Topic: Kids reading: Paper vs. Kindle vs. tablet?  (Read 358 times)  

Offline jhubbard

• View Profile
Kids reading: Paper vs. Kindle vs. tablet?
« on: July 25, 2016, 08:15:25 PM »
I have a 5-year-old who loves to read. Because of where I live (Singapore), libraries aren't a great option. His school sent me links to a bunch of tablet-appropriate ebooks, but I am reluctant to have him spend time on a tablet, since he associates it primarily with games. I eventually jumped through some hoops to get a Kindle and access to Kindle books, which seems to have been very successful.

And to my surprise, he loves to read on the Kindle!

But... am I limiting him by not allowing the tablet, even for ebooks? Kindle books aren't as good for comic books, or picture books, and don't have color.

Has anyone else wrestled with this issue? Do you have kids who read on Kindle? Or do you stick to paper? Any thoughts/experience?
Earth's changing climate: 10%
College science for kids!
Website

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Laugh Loud. Run Fast. Be Kind.
    • View Profile
Re: Kids reading: Paper vs. Kindle vs. tablet?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 04:26:12 AM »
My "kid" is 33 but here's my opinion.

I see parents handing their phones or tablets to their kids to keep 'em quiet. They watch videos or play games.  No big deal . . . . when I was growing up we'd get to watch TV as a treat or 'bribe' to behave until dinner time. My son knew how to put his videos in the VCR by the time he was 2. This was especially helpful when he liked to get up at 6 on a Saturday and we wanted to stay in bed until 8 or so. :) At all times, the parents had control and could say "enough . . . time for some other sort of play." My son also, fortunately, enjoyed books and all sorts of building toys as well as outside play.

There ARE a lot of books for kids for tablets -- as well as games and videos.  The Fire line has a set up where you can limit how many hours of each a kid can use the tablet for -- I think it's called Kindle Free Time. So you can say there's no limit on 'books' but that the kid can only watch so many hours of videos or play games for so many hours before the device won't let them any more that day.

Alternatively, if you had two tablets -- make one YOURS and it has games or whatever that you may occasionally give permission to play -- and one is HIS and has ONLY age appropriate reading or whatever.

Overall, I think tablets aren't going to hurt kids . . . as long as there is parental control over what they DO on them, and as long as there is an overall balance. I'd no more let my kid play on a tablet all day, as watch TV all day, or, even, read all day from a paper book. It's ALSO important to get up and about and move and learn how to be with other people. And I would limit tablet/TV exposure at night as the blue night is not, generally, going to relax 'em and help 'em settle for bed.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline 5ngela

• Simple person with simple life
    • View Profile
    • The Journey Of Life
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2016, 09:38:39 AM »
I don't have kids, but if I have kids, I will prefer them to read on paper than tablet or kindle because they can touch the book, touch the paper, smell the paper, collect it, etc

Offline ZivGray

• Northern Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2016, 02:53:35 PM »
I have a 5-year-old who loves to read. Because of where I live (Singapore), libraries aren't a great option. His school sent me links to a bunch of tablet-appropriate ebooks, but I am reluctant to have him spend time on a tablet, since he associates it primarily with games. I eventually jumped through some hoops to get a Kindle and access to Kindle books, which seems to have been very successful.

And to my surprise, he loves to read on the Kindle!

But... am I limiting him by not allowing the tablet, even for ebooks? Kindle books aren't as good for comic books, or picture books, and don't have color.

Has anyone else wrestled with this issue? Do you have kids who read on Kindle? Or do you stick to paper? Any thoughts/experience?

I wish I could find the research paper, but I remember being told that paper book are better for kids to read as it helps their brain development. Something about harking back to hunter gatherer skills of scanning the horizon for predators. Sadly I can't back this up, but it sounds interesting! I'd always default to paper book for kids.
Dance of Dark and Light #2: 70%
Ziv Gray | Blog | Website | Facebook | Twitter

Offline Shanna Moncuse

• Author and lover of books, manga, and beagles!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2016, 02:17:12 PM »
I have no kids but if I did, I'd start them out on paperbacks. That's primarily what I read, and I love collecting books.
Eventually, when they were old enough, if they wanted to read on a Kindle or tablet, and we had one, I'd allow them to read on them. But personally? I would want to raise them to love paperbacks as I do.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 02:18:51 PM by Shanna Moncuse »

Shanna Moncuse | Facebook | Goodreads | Twitter

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac